Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2019 master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2019, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Chances of Upgrade Request Clearing
NOTE: Be aware of recent (20 May 2017) upgrade priority changes.

"New Upgrade Priority as of 20 May 2017

(Upgrades were prioritized by elite status and then time of request until 20 May 2017)

Elite status
  1. Concierge Key
  2. Executive Platinum
  3. Platinum Pro
  4. Platinum
  5. Gold

Upgrade type
  1. Miles and copay award upgrades and systemwide upgrades (SWU)
  2. 500 mile upgrades on purchased tickets
  3. 500 mile upgrades on upgrade eligible awards)

Then, by
  1. Elite qualifying dollars in the past 12 months (rolling)
  2. Booking class
  3. Time of request

See Upgrade Priority Changes to Status, Rolling 365 Day EQD Spend May 20 2017

Link to Gary Leff, View From the Wing 16 May 2017

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2019 master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2019, 6:31 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
This week's flights:

DEN-CLT, Sunday morning, A321, Cleared at 100 hours
CLT-DCA, Sunday early afternoon, A320, Cleared at 100 hours
DCA-ORD, Thursday noon, 738, Cleared at 100 hours
ORD-DEN, Thursday afternoon, 738, cleared at ~30 hours

Maybe $19K rolling EQD? Not sure, don't track it.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by mellimies
C0 now about 8 hours later, J1 so pretty sure I did not get one.
Sure enough did not get it, first leg RIC-ORD got cancelled

After longish phone calls settled on RIC-PHL-LHR-HEL with downgrade to economy (ORD-LHR was W code in PE.) Requested upgrades and to my surprise got one for PHL-LHR. The bad thing is that cost was 25k points + $350 instead of just 15k points.

Need to request refund for fare difference and mention the difference in upgrade price too. But if no more surprises pretty decent outcome in the end.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 8:03 pm

Spoke too soon, just deplaned after having a glass of bubbly drink. Captain announced that we have a fuel leak so no-go

Just heard announcement that another plane will be used for replacement, will be interesting to see if I get to keep my business class seat.

Edit: lost my business seat so second downgrade for the same day. In fact I don't even have a seat at all at the moment, replacement is a smaller plane and they're waiting for volunteers who'd be willing to travel tomorrow I think I heard them offer $725 but not at all sure.

Edit 2: so many mixed signals, I now have my boarding pass with seat 1A. Unreal.

Last edited by mellimies; Oct 4, 2019 at 9:59 pm Reason: downgrade :(
Old Oct 8, 2019, 7:29 am

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat
This seems like an obvious question but I haven't been able to find an answer--apologies in advance if I missed it.

I'm fairly newly Plat Pro, have a flight this weekend with a companion without status. If I don't request an upgrade for him (using 500 mile upgrades) then will my upgrade still process? Or do they keep both of us together in economy?

Thanks!
Old Oct 8, 2019, 7:30 pm

I have a miles+copay upgrade waitlisted for AA193 departing 10/16. Up until this afternoon, I was able to see the upgrade request on the AA mobile app but the upgrade button has since disappeared. Does this mean I’ve been taken off the list, or a glitch on the app? How will I know whether the upgrade request went through or not?

TIA!!

Old Oct 8, 2019, 8:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by mzsmiley
I have a miles+copay upgrade waitlisted for AA193 departing 10/16. Up until this afternoon, I was able to see the upgrade request on the AA mobile app but the upgrade button has since disappeared. Does this mean I’ve been taken off the list, or a glitch on the app? How will I know whether the upgrade request went through or not?

TIA!!
It does not necessarily mean that you've been upgraded. It happens sometimes, with all kinds of upgrades. If you want to know for sure the status, I'd log in on the AA website and pull up the itinerary. If it shows as upgraded, or says that it can't display the itinerary, then that would be your indication.
mzsmiley likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Getting ready to board 2240 to SEA. I wonder why #1 & 2 got stiffed?
Attached Images  
Old Oct 9, 2019, 11:09 am

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
Originally Posted by NJNY
This seems like an obvious question but I haven't been able to find an answer--apologies in advance if I missed it.

I'm fairly newly Plat Pro, have a flight this weekend with a companion without status. If I don't request an upgrade for him (using 500 mile upgrades) then will my upgrade still process? Or do they keep both of us together in economy?

Thanks!
I would call. My wife is Plat Pro and she's encountered different results. I'd call in and separate the PNR.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 11:31 am

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by enviroian
Could be misconnects that hadn’t yet been offloaded from the flight or #1 and #2 could have been companions traveling together who didn’t want to split for one seat.

i think the bigger story here is that you’re #5 as EXP on a Wednesday afternoon flight. Those are pretty dismal odds.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 12:00 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat
Originally Posted by txpenny
I would call. My wife is Plat Pro and she's encountered different results. I'd call in and separate the PNR.
Thank you!
txpenny likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 1:32 pm

Programs: AA-EXP
Originally Posted by enviroian
It may be that they did not answer the page. Whether you agree with it or not, many gate agents do not process upgrades until the person answers the page and reports to them in person.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 2:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Uzzar
It may be that they did not answer the page. Whether you agree with it or not, many gate agents do not process upgrades until the person answers the page and reports to them in person.
Yep, which is why I leave the Admirals Club at T-50 if I haven't cleared. Sometimes the club agent will call the gate, but sometimes they won't. I've even experienced the AC agent speaking with a gate agent who has said, yes I will be clearing upgrades but ONLY for those at the gate. If he's not here, he won't get the upgrade. The AC agents know this is incorrect, but they aren't willing to cross an obstinate gate agent.
Uzzar likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 3:02 pm

Programs: AA-EXP
Originally Posted by fastflyer
Yep, which is why I leave the Admirals Club at T-50 if I haven't cleared. Sometimes the club agent will call the gate, but sometimes they won't. I've even experienced the AC agent speaking with a gate agent who has said, yes I will be clearing upgrades but ONLY for those at the gate. If he's not here, he won't get the upgrade. The AC agents know this is incorrect, but they aren't willing to cross an obstinate gate agent.
Yes, this.
Personally i think they should process the upgrades in order (regardless of whether the person is there at the gate), then only adjust if the upgraded person does not board.
Old Oct 10, 2019, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by metallo
i think the bigger story here is that you’re #5 as EXP on a Wednesday afternoon flight. Those are pretty dismal odds.
Well that’s better than 2755 I’m getting ready to take back hone. 11 out of 45 lol. Guess my 20K EQD is way down the pole.
Old Oct 10, 2019, 10:13 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Marriot Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum/2022 Titanium
Haven't sniffed a sticker upgrade as a Gold in years. Some new changes at work have me flying a DFW-PHL-ILM-DFW trip. And lo and behold my ILM-DFW upgrade came through at T-24 on the dot. First time in F on the ERJ175.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.