Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2019 master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2019, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Chances of Upgrade Request Clearing
NOTE: Be aware of recent (20 May 2017) upgrade priority changes.

"New Upgrade Priority as of 20 May 2017

(Upgrades were prioritized by elite status and then time of request until 20 May 2017)

Elite status
  1. Concierge Key
  2. Executive Platinum
  3. Platinum Pro
  4. Platinum
  5. Gold

Upgrade type
  1. Miles and copay award upgrades and systemwide upgrades (SWU)
  2. 500 mile upgrades on purchased tickets
  3. 500 mile upgrades on upgrade eligible awards)

Then, by
  1. Elite qualifying dollars in the past 12 months (rolling)
  2. Booking class
  3. Time of request

See Upgrade Priority Changes to Status, Rolling 365 Day EQD Spend May 20 2017

Link to Gary Leff, View From the Wing 16 May 2017

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2019 master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2019, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I don't even look at the upgrade list anymore out of DFW. It's really not worth getting upset about. I'm already in a bulk or exit row and it's a domestic flight so no big deal. The comp upgrade days are just about over. Where it does matter is for SWU redemption of course.

Give me the bulk head, power, free streaming, a turkey wrap, biscoff, and diet sierra mist and I'm good to go.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
I'm less than 48 hours out for a LGA-ORD flight, looks like J1 D1 R1 I1, 2 seats still open in first, still not clearing. Likely they make me sweat this out until the gate, or clear tomorrow if the seats are still there? EXP.
LOL, with only 1 seat left for sale up front, on a route like LGA-ORD on a Friday, of course you haven't cleared yet and it will most definitely go to the gate if that seats stays open. This is standard AA protocol.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 10:30 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by enviroian
I don't even look at the upgrade list anymore out of DFW. It's really not worth getting upset about. I'm already in a bulk or exit row and it's a domestic flight so no big deal. The comp upgrade days are just about over. Where it does matter is for SWU redemption of course.

Give me the bulk head, power, free streaming, a turkey wrap, biscoff, and diet sierra mist and I'm good to go.
looks like I am 7/15 on upgrade eligible flights this year as EXP with 20k+ rolling EQD, not great...
Old Oct 16, 2019, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

looks like I am 7/15 on upgrade eligible flights this year as EXP with 20k+ rolling EQD, not great...
That's my rolling EQD too. Are you Dallas based? I'm probably running at about 15% upgrade rate.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 10:33 am
Suspended

I'm less than 48 hours out for a LGA-ORD flight, looks like J1 D1 R1 I1, 2 seats still open in first, still not clearing. Likely they make me sweat this out until the gate, or clear tomorrow if the seats are still there? EXP.
You’d actually expect them to give away the last available first class seat this far out???
Old Oct 16, 2019, 10:37 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by JonNYC
You’d actually expect them to give away the last available first class seat this far out???
There are two seats open, there were three this morning and there were 4 or 5 yesterday. Would I expect them to actually give upgrades to their best customers? Yes, I would. I know, I know...they probably already did give them to their "best" CK customers. Just a friendly reminder that if you're not CK, AA doesn't care.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 10:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by enviroian
That's my rolling EQD too. Are you Dallas based? I'm probably running at about 15% upgrade rate.
NYC based.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
LOL, with only 1 seat left for sale up front, on a route like LGA-ORD on a Friday, of course you haven't cleared yet and it will most definitely go to the gate if that seats stays open. This is standard AA protocol.
Right?! They'll be closing the door until the very last microsecond then finally release it LOL
Old Oct 16, 2019, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There are two seats open, there were three this morning and there were 4 or 5 yesterday. Would I expect them to actually give upgrades to their best customers? Yes, I would. I know, I know...they probably already did give them to their "best" CK customers. Just a friendly reminder that if you're not CK, AA doesn't care.
In defense of AA, cough cough, they are trying to maximize revenue and I don't blame them for running a business this way. I've come to accept it's not 2009 anymore and Doug "We'll never lose money again" Parker is holding true to his promise
Old Oct 16, 2019, 10:43 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Kinda 101 stuff, if ya ask me.

There are two seats open..
No, J1 D1 R1 I1 = 1 first class seat available for sale. You should get a better grasp on such things if you're going to attempt to rely on advanced tools to figure our your odds.

..Just a friendly reminder that if you're not CK, AA doesn't care.
So, act on it already.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 10:59 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by JonNYC
Kinda 101 stuff, if ya ask me.

No, J1 D1 R1 I1 = 1 first class seat available for sale. You should get a better grasp on such things if you're going to attempt to rely on advanced tools to figure our your odds.

So, act on it already.
There are two open in the seatmap on EF. I can't act on it, thanks to all of the airlines merging down to a cabal of three that essentially fix rates and offer exactly the same things we are left with no choices. Doesn't mean I have to be happy about it or lick the airline's boot while it stomps down on my neck like many FT'ers do.
MarkOK likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 11:05 am

Programs: AA PPro
Quick question, I'm flying saturday from FRA-DFW and it shows J2, but when I try to actually book the flight it says there are four business class seats for sale. How does that work? Are they trying to oversell the cabin and downgrade someone. PE is also all sold out...
Old Oct 16, 2019, 11:19 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
There are two open in the seatmap on EF. .
Let's put this in basic terms: unassigned seats are not the same as available seats.

AA has one seat available for sale - they should not allocate that seat to an upgrade this far in advance of departure.
JonNYC likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by tfizzle
Quick question, I'm flying saturday from FRA-DFW and it shows J2, but when I try to actually book the flight it says there are four business class seats for sale. How does that work? Are they trying to oversell the cabin and downgrade someone. PE is also all sold out...
Where are you seeing that there are "four business class seats for sale?"

Looking at aa.com, when I search FRA-DFW on Saturday it says 2 seats left in business, which mirrors EF at J2.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 11:32 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by bse118
Let's put this in basic terms: unassigned seats are not the same as available seats.

AA has one seat available for sale - they should not allocate that seat to an upgrade this far in advance of departure.
easy for you to say with your 85% clearance rate this year, I am sitting under 50%

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.