Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2019 master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2019, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Chances of Upgrade Request Clearing
NOTE: Be aware of recent (20 May 2017) upgrade priority changes.

"New Upgrade Priority as of 20 May 2017

(Upgrades were prioritized by elite status and then time of request until 20 May 2017)

Elite status
  1. Concierge Key
  2. Executive Platinum
  3. Platinum Pro
  4. Platinum
  5. Gold

Upgrade type
  1. Miles and copay award upgrades and systemwide upgrades (SWU)
  2. 500 mile upgrades on purchased tickets
  3. 500 mile upgrades on upgrade eligible awards)

Then, by
  1. Elite qualifying dollars in the past 12 months (rolling)
  2. Booking class
  3. Time of request

See Upgrade Priority Changes to Status, Rolling 365 Day EQD Spend May 20 2017

Link to Gary Leff, View From the Wing 16 May 2017

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2019 master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2019, 7:06 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, SPG/Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Plat Pro. Surprisingly cleared an upgrade LAX-HNL on Thanksgiving afternoon for me and my companion, complimentary upgrade for me, using stickers for my companion.
AANYC1981 and robertablake like this.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 7:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by chenalex
Plat Pro. Surprisingly cleared an upgrade LAX-HNL on Thanksgiving afternoon for me and my companion, complimentary upgrade for me, using stickers for my companion.
Thanksgiving day is one of the easiest upgrades possible so not surprising. Most people are already at their destination by that point.
chenalex likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 7:29 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP
Have a flight tomorrow night from LAX to HKG- Requested Copay Mileage upgrade approx 3 months ago when purchased. Lowly Plat Pro now.. A week ago was J40 tonight with just about 24 hours left only J6, still no upgrade- Oh well, at least I have row 20 haha.. This is my 1st year w/o ExPlat status, and 1st time im actually missing it. I doubt I will get upgrade- will report either way..
Old Nov 25, 2019, 8:05 pm

What is it worth?

I’m PLAT with an upcoming DFW — LHR premium economy trip on 12/2. Currently waiting on miles + copay upgrade that may never come.

I’ll be short after the trip about 4K EQM for PPro. Trying to figure out if it’s worth trying to pay for an upgrade to get more miles for the trip. Having trouble determining about how much it would cost (can it possibly be $8k more?) and whether the difference between PLAT and PPro is enough to try to make it. I suspect it’s just the fact that I’ll be well over the EQDs for PPro that’s getting me.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 4:07 pm

Programs: AA, Amex
First ever upgrade, on first attempt! 100% success rate, guess it can only go down hill from here.

Tuesday night here on a 321 CLT-MIA. Was 2 out of 4 on the list with one open seat, using stickers, as Platinum. #1 cleared but was traveling with someone and opted to stay together rather than take the upgrade.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Emilylehr
I’m PLAT with an upcoming DFW — LHR premium economy trip on 12/2. Currently waiting on miles + copay upgrade that may never come.

I’ll be short after the trip about 4K EQM for PPro. Trying to figure out if it’s worth trying to pay for an upgrade to get more miles for the trip. Having trouble determining about how much it would cost (can it possibly be $8k more?) and whether the difference between PLAT and PPro is enough to try to make it. I suspect it’s just the fact that I’ll be well over the EQDs for PPro that’s getting me.
The biggest benefit of PLT Pro over PLT is the complimentary domestic upgrades, so if your travel patterns are mostly domestic on flights where you might have a chance at these then it could be worth it. But if you're mostly international or busy domestic routes where sticker upgrades are unlikely then it's probably not worth it.

As you're already in PE, you would need to upfare to business to get to 2.0x EQM earning. What is the cheapest business fare you can find on your flights/date next week? The difference between this and your PE fare is what you'd need to pay.

Given that you're flying from DFW-Europe and your trip is in less than a week, it's highly unlikely there will be any kind of discounted biz fares available, so yea, you're probably looking at thousands of dollars to upfare in this scenario.
Old Nov 27, 2019, 2:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC
Does using a BXP1 bump me up in terms of my order to clear (it will be waitlisted)? Does it only bump me up within the EXP grouping or do all folks using SWUs/Miles/BXP1s get cleared first?
Old Nov 27, 2019, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
The biggest benefit of PLT Pro over PLT is the complimentary domestic upgrades, so if your travel patterns are mostly domestic on flights where you might have a chance at these then it could be worth it. But if you're mostly international or busy domestic routes where sticker upgrades are unlikely then it's probably not worth it.

As you're already in PE, you would need to upfare to business to get to 2.0x EQM earning. What is the cheapest business fare you can find on your flights/date next week? The difference between this and your PE fare is what you'd need to pay.

Given that you're flying from DFW-Europe and your trip is in less than a week, it's highly unlikely there will be any kind of discounted biz fares available, so yea, you're probably looking at thousands of dollars to upfare in this scenario.
Thanks. Yes. It is looking like it is probably not worthwhile. The cheapest fare I can find in business is $8.5k. I definitely cannot imagine paying that much just to move up to PPro. And because I am 4k short on EQMs, I don't think I will find a mileage run option. Thanks, though, for comfirming for me that the main benefit would be complimentary domestic upgrades. That would not be a big enough jump for me.
Old Nov 27, 2019, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by adambadam
Does using a BXP1 bump me up in terms of my order to clear (it will be waitlisted)? Does it only bump me up within the EXP grouping or do all folks using SWUs/Miles/BXP1s get cleared first?
Using a BXP1 does not bump you up any. SWU, miles/copay, and BXP1's all need the same inventory (C) so theoretically the list is just sorted by status the rolling EQD. However, take a read through the Business Extra thread, there are scattered data points of BXP1's actually coming in lower on the list than SWUs or miles/copay.
Old Nov 28, 2019, 9:56 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
I had an interesting`way of being upgraded on Tuesday. I was first on the upgrade list for LAX-AUS, but checked with the Admirals Club AAngels right before heading to the gate and was told first was checked in and full, and expertflyer also showed J0. Figured I wasn’t going to be upgraded. Board in group 2 and settle in to my seat in 15D, which I was lucky to get as the flight was booked just a few days ago.

I’m reviewing my return flight and refresh my app while sitting in my seat and notice that my current flight’s seat became 3A, so it was obvious someone didn’t make the flight and I was going to be upgraded. Awesome! I’ll wait here until the GA comes in and hands me my new boarding pass.

Well instead of waiting to get my new boarding pass, a girl walks up about halfway in to boarding, shows me her boarding pass and tells me she’s in 15D and I’ve been moved up front. So now She’s stuck in the aisle with her luggage, I can’t move up the aisle towards first since people are still boarding and I have to get my luggage anyway. So now it’s a game of people squeezing down the aisle past this girl since she didn’t want to go to the back of the plane and wait. Finally after the aisles cleared (or so I thought), I grab my luggage, give up my seat and move forward. Having to slide past the occasional straggler still boarding.

I get up front and ask the FA’s if they have room for me to put my luggage, looked at my with a confused look and said no, you’ll have to put your luggage in the back, then asked me where I’m supposed to be sitting. I told them I was upgraded to first and they looked at me with a confused look again and then opened up a compartment that only had one bag in it to let me put my bag in. While I was sitting in 3A I could over hear one of them asking why I moved up to 3A to the other FA, who replied that she guesses I was upgraded.

First time that a post-boarding upgrade has happened like that and really strange that the GA didn’t wait until everyone else boarded to let on the person who took my seat, and that I never was told I was upgraded outside of seeing it in my app and being told by the person who took my seat.
Old Nov 28, 2019, 1:48 pm

Hello, I'm EP and bought a non-stop flight from LAX to PVG on Dec 26th. I just requested SWU. What is the chance of getting upgraded on this route around Christmas? Anyone with experiences? Thanks.
Old Nov 28, 2019, 2:31 pm

Programs: AA Exp. Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum.
Originally Posted by MLTR
Hello, I'm EP and bought a non-stop flight from LAX to PVG on Dec 26th. I just requested SWU. What is the chance of getting upgraded on this route around Christmas? Anyone with experiences? Thanks.
I don't have experience on the route but I can tell you that expert flyer is showing J5 and I1 for the flight currently.
Old Nov 29, 2019, 11:33 am

AA elite noob

Dfw to HNL Sunday morning on 777-200 as Platinum.

I requested a upgrade and it says 8 500mile upgrade required. I don't have 8. I doubt I'll get cleared as last time I checked there wasn't any business class seats available but in the off chance it does become available.... Do I need to have the 8 500miles in my account or will it clear me and give me the opportunity to buy the 8 500miles ($40 each). Don't want to buy $320 of 500miles ahead of time and don't end up getting upgraded.
Old Nov 29, 2019, 12:00 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by LReyes66
AA elite noob

Dfw to HNL Sunday morning on 777-200 as Platinum.

I requested a upgrade and it says 8 500mile upgrade required. I don't have 8. I doubt I'll get cleared as last time I checked there wasn't any business class seats available but in the off chance it does become available.... Do I need to have the 8 500miles in my account or will it clear me and give me the opportunity to buy the 8 500miles ($40 each). Don't want to buy $320 of 500miles ahead of time and don't end up getting upgraded.
You should be able to clear without the certs in your account prior to check-in. My understanding is that you won't be able to check in with a requested upgrade without having the certs in your account, but it's been so long since I've needed them that I'm not sure if it's still accurate.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 3:34 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond for Life
Got my first ever EXP award ticket upgrade for my flight today, ORD-MIA. I’ve already cleared my Friday return, too.

I don’t think I will be as lucky with the short hop over to GCM, but I’m not complaining...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.