Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2019 master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2019, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Chances of Upgrade Request Clearing
NOTE: Be aware of recent (20 May 2017) upgrade priority changes.

"New Upgrade Priority as of 20 May 2017

(Upgrades were prioritized by elite status and then time of request until 20 May 2017)

Elite status
  1. Concierge Key
  2. Executive Platinum
  3. Platinum Pro
  4. Platinum
  5. Gold

Upgrade type
  1. Miles and copay award upgrades and systemwide upgrades (SWU)
  2. 500 mile upgrades on purchased tickets
  3. 500 mile upgrades on upgrade eligible awards)

Then, by
  1. Elite qualifying dollars in the past 12 months (rolling)
  2. Booking class
  3. Time of request

See Upgrade Priority Changes to Status, Rolling 365 Day EQD Spend May 20 2017

Link to Gary Leff, View From the Wing 16 May 2017

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2019 master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2019, 11:22 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by thelark
AA 2548 PHL-DFW on 11/9 is showing C3 on EF but EXP isn't auto-upgrading. Sup with that?
Are you asking about EXP complimentary upgrades? Those don't clear into C. They clear into specific R inventory that needs to be made available for comp/500-mile upgrades. C is for instrument upgrades.

If you do have an instrument upgrade requested, I'd just call.

enpremiere is talking about searching a multi-segment itinerary (e.g. PHL-DFW-LAX), where it shows C inventory for the whole trip but in reality the individual segments don't have C available. I don't think that applies here since you're looking at a single segment, which is the accurate way to search.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by DMPHL
Are you asking about EXP complimentary upgrades? Those don't clear into C. They clear into specific R inventory that needs to be made available for comp/500-mile upgrades. C is for instrument upgrades.
ahhh, thanks.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 11:44 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
ahhh, thanks.
@DMPHL I though the married segment issue was just the opposite: No C space showing up for the entire trip but there is C space avail on one leg though.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 11:53 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Zacnlinc
@DMPHL I though the married segment issue was just the opposite: No C space showing up for the entire trip but there is C space avail on one leg though.
It might happen both ways...C0 for all legs when searching a multi-segment itinerary, but when searching one segment it shows availability for the segment OR (and I think this is more common), phantom C inventory showing as available for certain segments when searched as part of a multi-segment itinerary, but C0 when searching the individual segment.

Either way, on EF searching segment-by-segment is the way to go.
Zacnlinc and enpremiere like this.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 12:03 pm

Programs: CK or bust
It was showing C3 >24h ago...

Pardon my ignorance, but what's married C?
My apologies, that was a flub on my part -

Assuming that you're referring to systemwides, if you find it available on a segment but didn't clear automatically, it's possible that that's not available on all segments which would require you to call in to DSR the non-available segments and confirm the available one.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 12:27 pm

ahhh, thanks.
ok, it's showing R4
Old Nov 6, 2019, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
ok, it's showing R4
R is also a normal paid business fare class. The specific "R" used for domestic upgrades is not searchable at EF.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 3:53 pm

Cleared 25 days out on LAX-HND on a Miles/Copay as a Gold!!!
Zacnlinc, DMPHL and AANYC1981 like this.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 5:44 pm

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
I had not used my 2018 earned SWU's yet, was afraid they may go to waste, so I started looking at a quick weekend getaway in Jan (Why not start qualifying for 2020). Found plenty of good availability to Europe from PHL. Was able to get kid 1.0 and myself to Amsterdam (She loved our summer trip) with SWU clearing at booking. Will be a nice long weekend.
Zacnlinc, DMPHL and AANYC1981 like this.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 10:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Don't like swu to go to waste. Just booked Ord to lhr in Jan and cleared at booking for two of us. How to explain to non FTers feeling good about spending more money to use a "free" earned benefit like swus..oh well..
Old Nov 7, 2019, 2:49 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Originally Posted by Dad to Rei
I had not used my 2018 earned SWU's yet, was afraid they may go to waste, so I started looking at a quick weekend getaway in Jan (Why not start qualifying for 2020). Found plenty of good availability to Europe from PHL. Was able to get kid 1.0 and myself to Amsterdam (She loved our summer trip) with SWU clearing at booking. Will be a nice long weekend.
Yeah, I know that this is where we are supposed to show up and complain about how you can never use these things -- and, you know, in May you probably can't -- but in November and January I just had good luck putting them all to good use, and to/from CDG, which is often a tough one. 3/4 cleared at booking, and the other 2 weeks after booking (and 2+ months before flight). So like the post just before this one, when it all works out for you (us), it almost feels like the effort and cost of making Exec Plat (at least for marginal types like me) is worth it.
catcher1 likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 9:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Almost is right. Won't qualify next year and it's ok. My partner will cross 6 million and we will have the last 2 swu to use. Then a free agent. No complaints..not leaving anything on the table and have had many many Great adventures. There isn't much that's non stop from ORD these days anyway on AA. Was Actually able to get a business extra upgrade award for one segment of this Ord to lhr trip. Needed to upfare to use the award and it was still cheaper than miles and copay so good deal. Meeting services was really helpful as well and issued the ticket and connected us to res to attach the SWU.. otoh exp line at 10pm had a 20 minute wait.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 9:35 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hertz Presidents Club
Flight 87 LHR-ORD on Nov 26, waitlisted for PE-J UPG through SWU ... dont have EF, any kind souls out there can you please let me know how it looks now for clearing ? Thanks in advance for the help.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 9:37 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Cleared 11/11 AM flight DCA-PBI at the EXP window yesterday and got the last seat on the 1 side on the E175!
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 10:07 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Originally Posted by GRR_Flier
Flight 87 LHR-ORD on Nov 26, waitlisted for PE-J UPG through SWU ... dont have EF, any kind souls out there can you please let me know how it looks now for clearing ? Thanks in advance for the help.

J1 R1 D1 I0 W0 P0 Y7 B7 H7 K7 M7 L7 G7 V7 S7 N7 Q7 O7 E7

Good Luck!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.