Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2019 master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2019, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Chances of Upgrade Request Clearing
NOTE: Be aware of recent (20 May 2017) upgrade priority changes.

"New Upgrade Priority as of 20 May 2017

(Upgrades were prioritized by elite status and then time of request until 20 May 2017)

Elite status
  1. Concierge Key
  2. Executive Platinum
  3. Platinum Pro
  4. Platinum
  5. Gold

Upgrade type
  1. Miles and copay award upgrades and systemwide upgrades (SWU)
  2. 500 mile upgrades on purchased tickets
  3. 500 mile upgrades on upgrade eligible awards)

Then, by
  1. Elite qualifying dollars in the past 12 months (rolling)
  2. Booking class
  3. Time of request

See Upgrade Priority Changes to Status, Rolling 365 Day EQD Spend May 20 2017

Link to Gary Leff, View From the Wing 16 May 2017

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2019 master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2019, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by DMPHL
That flight is currently showing C2, so if you want to do Miles + Co-Pay, you could clear it now.

It's currently J5. I think your chances are non-zero because it's the 9:30PM flight. Although I still think the chances might not be great.
55 Hours out and currently still J5 with C3 now. I'm platinum and put in for 500 mile for me and companion, what are chances it clears now?

Also if it clears and there are no 2 seats together will it still upgrade and let me choose?
Old Oct 16, 2019, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Gullydriver
55 Hours out and currently still J5 with C3 now. I'm platinum and put in for 500 mile for me and companion, what are chances it clears now?

Also if it clears and there are no 2 seats together will it still upgrade and let me choose?
What flight are you talking about?

The physical location of the seat and whether they are next to one another or not plays has no bearing on whether you get upgraded. If AA releases 2 upgrade spaces, you and your companion will get it (assuming you're #1/2 on the list) regardless of what seat locations are left in the cabin.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 12:24 pm

I'm sorry its AA56 departing 10/18 JFK>LAX, thanks for your help
Old Oct 16, 2019, 12:49 pm
Suspended

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
There are two open in the seatmap on EF.
Expertflyer has a good FAQ for n00b questions like this:
https://www.expertflyer.com/expertflyer-support-faq
Old Oct 16, 2019, 1:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Expertflyer has a good FAQ for n00b questions like this:
https://www.expertflyer.com/expertflyer-support-faq
All of this is irrelevant, there were 4-5 seats open at t+100 hours when the EXP window opens, clearing then would have been nice. You know, getting benefits for the loyalty. I am clearing 46% of my upgrade eligible flights as an EXP with 20k+ rolling spend. That's pathetic. It was J2 or J3 just this morning inside 48 hours to departure. The reason for longer windows for clearing for different tiers (it would seem), should be if seats are open at t+100 EXP get them, then if no more seats are sold and there are some still there at t+48 or whenever the lower tier window opens, they get them. Not if there are seats haven't sold or been sold for TOD upgrades at t+15 minutes, EXP will get them first priority. I know that's not how it's been working the past few years, but again it's not something I have to like.

Last edited by GetSetJetSet; Oct 16, 2019 at 1:16 pm
Old Oct 16, 2019, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
All of this is irrelevant, there were 4-5 seats open at t+100 hours when the EXP window opens, clearing then would have been nice. You know, getting benefits for the loyalty. I am clearing 46% of my upgrade eligible flights as an EXP with 20k+ rolling spend. That's pathetic.
46%? Be lucky your not 15% like me!
Old Oct 16, 2019, 1:20 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by enviroian
46%? Be lucky your not 15% like me!
That's nuts, I guess DFW really is brutal. I'm 1/2 going through DFW, failed MEX-DFW, cleared DFW-JFK.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
That's nuts, I guess DFW really is brutal. I'm 1/2 going through DFW, failed MEX-DFW, cleared DFW-JFK.
I’m not even phased by it anymore. Hell I just boarded a flight to DEN. Nowhere near the top of the list for zero F seats.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 1:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by enviroian
I’m not even phased by it anymore. Hell I just boarded a flight to DEN. Nowhere near the top of the list for zero F seats.
To be fair, I have been #1 on every upgrade list I haven't cleared except for one...always JUST short.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 1:25 pm
Suspended

...The reason for longer windows for clearing for different tiers (it would seem), should be if seats are open at t+100 EXP get them, then if no more seats are sold and there are some still there at t+48 or whenever the lower tier window opens, they get them.
RM never has worked that way, never will work that way.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 1:33 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by JonNYC
RM never has worked that way, never will work that way.
Ok man you're right, we should be grateful AA allow us to pay them and we should never expect anything. I love the taste of boot leather.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 2:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
easy for you to say with your 85% clearance rate this year, I am sitting under 50%
IMO, AA should always hold one or two seats (if available/unsold) back from upgrades until T-30 minutes. Gives operations options for IROPs. Allows customers that SDC on to the flight, or purchase the flight close-in / day-of a shot at an upgrade. All this is more useful to me as a customer than clearing last-seat upgrades in advance.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 2:15 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by bse118
IMO, AA should always hold one or two seats (if available/unsold) back from upgrades until T-30 minutes. Gives operations options for IROPs. Allows customers that SDC on to the flight, or purchase the flight close-in / day-of a shot at an upgrade. All this is more useful to me as a customer than clearing last-seat upgrades in advance.
So basically your request would to structure the system in a way that most benefits your particular use case, do I have that about right?

Regards
Old Oct 16, 2019, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
There are two seats open, there were three this morning and there were 4 or 5 yesterday. Would I expect them to actually give upgrades to their best customers? Yes, I would. I know, I know...they probably already did give them to their "best" CK customers. Just a friendly reminder that if you're not CK, AA doesn't care.
This has nothing to do with whether they care about you, but those seats that are filling up are either people buying seats (demonstrating that they are wise not to upgrade you just yet) or else they are people in front of you on the upgrade list (showing that they will upgrade you just as soon as you reach the top of the list).

There are processes and most likely they are being carefully followed. Of course it is frustrating when you want an upgrade and they don't happen, but I don't think any airline has the time or energy to make it personal
Old Oct 16, 2019, 2:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by scubadu
So basically your request would to structure the system in a way that most benefits your particular use case, do I have that about right?

Regards
Huh? No you don't - not in the slightest.

I can tell you that in five years of being an EXP, I have used SDC precisely one time, nor do I buy last minute tickets (all my tickets are advanced purchase discount fares) so that is not about my particular use case.

One or two empty seats near departure gives far more possible utility and options to the airline and it's customers than filling those seats in advance with upgrades does. That's my opinion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.