Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2019 master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2019, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Chances of Upgrade Request Clearing
NOTE: Be aware of recent (20 May 2017) upgrade priority changes.

"New Upgrade Priority as of 20 May 2017

(Upgrades were prioritized by elite status and then time of request until 20 May 2017)

Elite status
  1. Concierge Key
  2. Executive Platinum
  3. Platinum Pro
  4. Platinum
  5. Gold

Upgrade type
  1. Miles and copay award upgrades and systemwide upgrades (SWU)
  2. 500 mile upgrades on purchased tickets
  3. 500 mile upgrades on upgrade eligible awards)

Then, by
  1. Elite qualifying dollars in the past 12 months (rolling)
  2. Booking class
  3. Time of request

See Upgrade Priority Changes to Status, Rolling 365 Day EQD Spend May 20 2017

Link to Gary Leff, View From the Wing 16 May 2017

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2019 master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2019, 7:41 am

Programs: Independent
How are the upgrades JFK to LHR? I would imagine a pretty hard to get upgrade route? Right now I am not seeing any A or C available in Expert Flyer for the days I can travel.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 8:44 am

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat
Originally Posted by Cloudship
How are the upgrades JFK to LHR? I would imagine a pretty hard to get upgrade route? Right now I am not seeing any A or C available in Expert Flyer for the days I can travel.
i just flew that route twice in the last month - and one had one available on the way there but I didnt take since I was flying with my fiance. The other one we were pretty far down the list. This was flying friday evening and we're both platinum
Old Oct 23, 2019, 11:10 am

Programs: AA EXP
In my experience, it's completely hit or miss. There tends to be an empty upgrade list or 8+ people on the list. I flew this last week in J and it went out with at least 5 empty seats. I probably fly this RT 5-6 times per year, 80% in purchased J and 20% in W. My last 2 W flights I haven't cleared my SWUs, despite having $30k+ EQD. This is the only route I haven't cleared a SWU.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
No, JFK-LHR is more on the easy side, especially if you can be flexible. But not surprising at all that you're not seeing any C space in advance. As with any AA longhaul flight, most everything depends on the day of the week and season. With ~4x daily flights you can be strategic.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 11:34 am

very true. For C space in the next three days, there is 3 available on the 615p flight, 7 on the 1045pm (this is usually the easiest to get) and nothing on the 715. There is no space tomorrow (thursday) and no space friday. On saturday there is 1, 1, 2, 5 on the 4 flgihts going out.

So it really is dependent upon the day/date. Obviously some things are openning up 24/48 hours before as well.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 11:48 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
How long does it take for the SWU to be deducted? I cleared at the gate last week but my last SWU hasn’t been removed....maybe I got an Op Up?
Old Oct 24, 2019, 4:38 pm

Wondering if I can get some help from the various oracles on here.

I’ll be flying MIA-LHR in a couple of weeks in economy.

Am I right in thinking that a miles + copay goes from existing to next class of service, so on a 4 class 777-300, I’d move from Y-P? I’m already in MCE, so no real desire to spend $350 + 25K miles for P. But if I jumped to J, it’s a different story. J loads are currently light whilst P is pretty much full.

I’m flirting back to CLT on a 2 class A330, so have requested the upgrade from Y to J, which I’d be happy with as no real MCE on the A330 (I’m not wild on bulkheads).
Old Oct 24, 2019, 6:34 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by thedeeg
Wondering if I can get some help from the various oracles on here.

I’ll be flying MIA-LHR in a couple of weeks in economy.

Am I right in thinking that a miles + copay goes from existing to next class of service, so on a 4 class 777-300, I’d move from Y-P? I’m already in MCE, so no real desire to spend $350 + 25K miles for P. But if I jumped to J, it’s a different story. J loads are currently light whilst P is pretty much full.

I’m flirting back to CLT on a 2 class A330, so have requested the upgrade from Y to J, which I’d be happy with as no real MCE on the A330 (I’m not wild on bulkheads).
Currently, miles + copay is from Y --> J, even on planes with PE.
thedeeg likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by flyingeph12
Currently, miles + copay is from Y --> J, even on planes with PE.
Thank you. I’ll put a request in tomorrow.

In case I’m missing something, the request has to be done via the call centre, right? I don’t see an option online anywhere.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 8:01 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by thedeeg
Thank you. I’ll put a request in tomorrow.

In case I’m missing something, the request has to be done via the call centre, right? I don’t see an option online anywhere.
Yes, you have to call in to request the upgrade.
Old Oct 25, 2019, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by flyingeph12
Yes, you have to call in to request the upgrade.
Thank you for your help.

Upgrade requested. Currently showing J17, so fingers crossed.

Looking forward to trying the Flagship lounge in MIA too. Enjoyed the one at LAX.
Old Oct 25, 2019, 3:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Upgrade "rules" for flights booked less than 100 hrs before flight

HI. I have no experience with this situation and was curious what the deal is (I'm an EXP). I booked a flight from RDU-DFW-SLC and return that leaves in something like 80 hours. I missed the 100 hr upgrade window (looks like lots of business seats available). Are my odds of being upgraded reduced a lot because I missed that window? I assume all the other EXPs have been upgraded. Would I be "next" when the 72hr PP window hits or does it not work like that? I called AA and they said there would be multiple additional sweeps but I wanted to see if anyone had first hand experience. Thanks!
Old Oct 25, 2019, 3:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Louiskie
HI. I have no experience with this situation and was curious what the deal is (I'm an EXP). I booked a flight from RDU-DFW-SLC and return that leaves in something like 80 hours. I missed the 100 hr upgrade window (looks like lots of business seats available). Are my odds of being upgraded reduced a lot because I missed that window? I assume all the other EXPs have been upgraded. Would I be "next" when the 72hr PP window hits or does it not work like that? I called AA and they said there would be multiple additional sweeps but I wanted to see if anyone had first hand experience. Thanks!
I didn't realize but the return trip had one flight that was more than 100 hours out. That one just cleared at 100 hrs. Curious if anything happens with the other 3.
Old Oct 25, 2019, 6:27 pm

Flying HKG>LAX tomorrow on AA192. Currently at T-34 and EF is showing J7 but C1 (I need 2 seats). What are my chances of AA releasing more C space as we get closer to T-24?
Old Oct 25, 2019, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by mzsmiley
Flying HKG>LAX tomorrow on AA192. Currently at T-34 and EF is showing J7 but C1 (I need 2 seats). What are my chances of AA releasing more C space as we get closer to T-24?
good luck. I'm on that in a couple weeks. would love to know if you got it at the gate.
mzsmiley likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.