Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2019 master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2019, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Chances of Upgrade Request Clearing
NOTE: Be aware of recent (20 May 2017) upgrade priority changes.

"New Upgrade Priority as of 20 May 2017

(Upgrades were prioritized by elite status and then time of request until 20 May 2017)

Elite status
  1. Concierge Key
  2. Executive Platinum
  3. Platinum Pro
  4. Platinum
  5. Gold

Upgrade type
  1. Miles and copay award upgrades and systemwide upgrades (SWU)
  2. 500 mile upgrades on purchased tickets
  3. 500 mile upgrades on upgrade eligible awards)

Then, by
  1. Elite qualifying dollars in the past 12 months (rolling)
  2. Booking class
  3. Time of request

See Upgrade Priority Changes to Status, Rolling 365 Day EQD Spend May 20 2017

Link to Gary Leff, View From the Wing 16 May 2017

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2019 master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2019, 12:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Wow, was J1 and I was #4 , people must have SDC because I scored a battlefield upgrade. 1-4 all cleared at the gate.
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 12:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
Wow, was J1 and I was #4 , people must have SDC because I scored a battlefield upgrade. 1-4 all cleared at the gate.
I’ve noticed this too.....there is a lot of same day movement between The Shuttle flights on LGA-ORD-LGA
Old Oct 21, 2019, 2:50 pm

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat
anyone have experience trying to clear LAX to HKG (AA PremEcon ticket, but CX metal) using miles to upgrade to Business ? apparently one open, but travelling with fiance. . I'd book her in to Biz and take my chances but its our anniversary, and she prefers to stay together. So we're wait listing on 2. Flight shows biz at 1/2 full but it is 6 weeks out. I think we're using 25K + 350 to upgrade. so not sure if/when availability will loosen up on it, if at all.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by anthem
anyone have experience trying to clear LAX to HKG (AA PremEcon ticket, but CX metal) using miles to upgrade to Business ? apparently one open, but travelling with fiance. . I'd book her in to Biz and take my chances but its our anniversary, and she prefers to stay together. So we're wait listing on 2. Flight shows biz at 1/2 full but it is 6 weeks out. I think we're using 25K + 350 to upgrade. so not sure if/when availability will loosen up on it, if at all.
You cannot upgrade a CX metal flight using any type of AAdvantage instrument.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Yes, plenty of people have cleared J to F upgrades on DFW-LHR.

It all depends on how many seats are left. With only 3 left for sale in F, then it's not uncommon at all for AA to hold back this space for upgrades until just before the flight. It will most likely open up around 24-36 hrs before.
Thank you! Just cleared

Last edited by Smsgirl; Oct 21, 2019 at 9:18 pm
Old Oct 22, 2019, 6:34 am

Programs: AA EXP, 2 Million Miler
Was able to apply SWUs to upgrade my wife and me, from J to F, both ways, on the new DFW<-->HND flight. My wife's flights are in June, mine goes out in May and return with her in June.

I wish my earlier Spring Tokyo trips got booked on this flight, but they weren't selling seats yet for these flights at the time of booking.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 10:32 am

You cannot upgrade a CX metal flight using any type of AAdvantage instrument.
thats what I thought. And it looks like its actually aa metal and not CX. I think CX also runs that route which is where the confusion appears to be with the multiple overlapping code shares. its AA 193 from LAX to HKG
Old Oct 22, 2019, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by anthem
thats what I thought. And it looks like its actually aa metal and not CX. I think CX also runs that route which is where the confusion appears to be with the multiple overlapping code shares. its AA 193 from LAX to HKG
You will most likely clear, but AA typically doesn't release upgrade space until 24-48 hrs. before the flight. A lot will depend on what day of the week you're flying.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 12:33 pm

You will most likely clear, but AA typically doesn't release upgrade space until 24-48 hrs. before the flight. A lot will depend on what day of the week you're flying.
thanks for the vote of confidence. Wish I could snag one and then wait for the other and return if I dont get it, but they wont allow that.

taking the sunday evening 1150pm departure one next month (week of thanksgiving). Hoping no business people want to fly out that week lol.. .
Old Oct 22, 2019, 12:33 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
If you cleared at the gate, then that is a gate dance upgrade

A battlefield upgrade is when the gate agent comes to your seat on the aircraft and moves you up to the next cabin.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 12:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
Originally Posted by Beachfun71
Got my ‘upgrade confirmed’ email today for ORD->CLT next week... T99 hrs, 48 min.
Got my Friday DCA-MIA upgrade at 99hrs 33 min...you must have more EQD than me!
Old Oct 22, 2019, 1:10 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by aztimm
If you cleared at the gate, then that is a gate dance upgrade

A battlefield upgrade is when the gate agent comes to your seat on the aircraft and moves you up to the next cabin.
Sorry, I should have been more specific. 1-2 cleared at the gate, as #3 was boarding they told him to hold back because they might have a seat for him. I had stowed my bags in 15A and gone to the lav when my phone rang. The gate agent called my cell and told me I cleared and to move up to 6A. So I was onboard, but not actually in my seat.
aztimm likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 2:12 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Sorry, I should have been more specific. 1-2 cleared at the gate, as #3 was boarding they told him to hold back because they might have a seat for him. I had stowed my bags in 15A and gone to the lav when my phone rang. The gate agent called my cell and told me I cleared and to move up to 6A. So I was onboard, but not actually in my seat.
Wow, that's a new one. Never heard of a gate agent calling to let someone know of an upgrade. But I guess it saved them a trip down to the aircraft.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 2:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by aztimm
Wow, that's a new one. Never heard of a gate agent calling to let someone know of an upgrade. But I guess it saved them a trip down to the aircraft.
I thought it was quite odd, I guess my # is in my AA profile?
Old Oct 22, 2019, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Cleared on a 752 to phx today. 1st on the list for J1.

Agent pulled me out of 13B. I was in 8A on a 321 that was initially planned but changed earlier today.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.