Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2019 master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2019, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Chances of Upgrade Request Clearing
NOTE: Be aware of recent (20 May 2017) upgrade priority changes.

"New Upgrade Priority as of 20 May 2017

(Upgrades were prioritized by elite status and then time of request until 20 May 2017)

Elite status
  1. Concierge Key
  2. Executive Platinum
  3. Platinum Pro
  4. Platinum
  5. Gold

Upgrade type
  1. Miles and copay award upgrades and systemwide upgrades (SWU)
  2. 500 mile upgrades on purchased tickets
  3. 500 mile upgrades on upgrade eligible awards)

Then, by
  1. Elite qualifying dollars in the past 12 months (rolling)
  2. Booking class
  3. Time of request

See Upgrade Priority Changes to Status, Rolling 365 Day EQD Spend May 20 2017

Link to Gary Leff, View From the Wing 16 May 2017

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2019 master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2019, 2:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by jljones78
It happened to a friend of mine earlier this month. Original routing was LAX-HKG on AA metal, upgraded from Y to J on an SWU, cleared T-24. Flight went mx and cancelled, they rebooked him in J on CX out of SFO. I think it's highly agent dependent.
Also depends (in this case) on whether or not CX will release it to AA. One of the CX flights I wanted HKG-SFO was not released to AA, which is why I went via LAX on an AA codeshare / marketed flight.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 7:40 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by enviroian
I just cleared for Friday afternoon DFW-DTW.

I noticed my new seat assignment is labeled "business" as opposed to "first". Now I know when I fly DFW-MEX it says business as that is what AA markets it is but I thought pure domestic legs were still called "first".
Nope. AA relabeled domestic "First" as "Business" in early 2017, and changed the fare codes from A and F to I, D, and J. A and F are now reserved for first class on three class aircraft, whether domestic or international. However, if you book a trip on aa.com you'll still see domestic first labeled First in the fare display, and on your ticket receipt it will say First.
ORDPLATAA and enviroian like this.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 6:57 pm

Programs: United Premier Platinum
It is my sense that - all other things equal - transpac flights to and from DFW have much more upgrade waitlisting than those to/from LAX and ORD.

Has this been others' observation, or not as much?
Old Feb 27, 2019, 9:10 am

Programs: AA Plat / Spirit Elite / National Exec. Elite / Orbitz Plat.
Looking for advice on an upcoming JFK to SFO transcon flight. Flying Tuesday 3/12 at 4pm and there are currently 17 business seats open and only 7 seats booked in MCE (I am assuming all Plat & up). I have 29 500 mile upgrades and no real expectation that I could burn through them all this year. From what I understand this route likes to fill up last minute. If the flight were today I would think my chances of upgrade using e500 are almost certain, but wanted to gather some input on if I should take the chance and try to use the e500s or just bite the bullet and use miles + copay to upgrade.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 7:27 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
I fly PHL-LAS-PHL monthly, and my return flights are almost always Friday night redeyes, occasionally Thursdays. I made a point to make PlatPro this year. I'm traveling tomorrow (29 hours from now). My outbound was PHL-LAX-LAS and I was upgraded LAX-LAS at T-72. Last month I was upgraded on the homeward redeye at T-72. This week, at T-72 there were 7 F seats open on the seatmap (I know there could be some tickets sold but unassigned), at T-48 there were still 6 seats, as now still 6 seats, F tickets available for purchase and no "n seats left" notation. On the way out, the PHL-LAX leg was an A330 with lie-flats in first and while I had no expectation at all of being upgraded, I was #6 on the upgrade list, which was higher than I'd have expected to be.

So I'm surprised to have not been upgraded yet. I don't expect a huge last-minute rush for elites to book the Friday night redeye OUT of Vegas, nor do I think there are too many people flying into Vegas to connect to the redeye. I still have reasonable confidence I'll be sitting up front, but does anyone have speculation what's going on? (Also, no bad weather anywhere that I'm aware of.)

P.S. Upgraded at T-26. Currently showing two open seats in F at T-23.

Last edited by redtop43; Mar 1, 2019 at 1:34 am
Old Feb 28, 2019, 11:44 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Freetrip
Looking for advice on an upcoming JFK to SFO transcon flight. Flying Tuesday 3/12 at 4pm and there are currently 17 business seats open and only 7 seats booked in MCE (I am assuming all Plat & up). I have 29 500 mile upgrades and no real expectation that I could burn through them all this year. From what I understand this route likes to fill up last minute. If the flight were today I would think my chances of upgrade using e500 are almost certain, but wanted to gather some input on if I should take the chance and try to use the e500s or just bite the bullet and use miles + copay to upgrade.
I'd probably play the wait and see game. The 16:00 and 18:00 flights tend to be more business heavy than the other flights, but you're flying on a Tuesday, which might help you. C space on this route (at least from what I've seen) generally doesn't open up until a few days before at the earliest, so I'd reassess the loads about a week out or so and then make a decision whether you want to put yourself on the C-space waiting list. There's no longer any benefit to waitlisting early, and unless I'm wrong and C space opens up well in advance (there currently is none), there's really no harm in waiting and seeing. If you have EF, you should set an alert for C space.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 12:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz PC
Flying DFW-LAX rt next week on the 789 both flights. Both are J7, outbound (Tuesday) showing 8 open on the seat map and return (Thursday) showing 16. Considering whether I should waitlist miles+copay, or just rely on my EXP comp. Thoughts?

Last edited by HLCinCOU; Mar 1, 2019 at 1:06 pm Reason: Derp, got my tabs mixed up; the second part was about a totally different thread.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 2:02 pm

Programs: American Airlines
IAD-CLT-DFW-COS on 2/27. Cleared as PP at 72 hrs for IAD-CLT and DFW-COS. #10 of 42 for the CLT-DFW leg, no surprise.

COS-ORD-DCA on 3/1. Cleared first leg not until 48 hours even though it looked empty (and had 7 empty seats). Second leg had not cleared as of this morning. COS-ORD was delayed 3 hrs causing a missed connection. Chose a new flight on the app and got what looked to be the last seat in first for the second leg as I confirmed it. I figured I’d be near the top of the list for that flight, but did I get any additional priority for the mechanical delay?
Old Mar 1, 2019, 2:39 pm

Programs: AA-EXP
Originally Posted by HLCinCOU
Flying DFW-LAX rt next week on the 789 both flights. Both are J7, outbound (Tuesday) showing 8 open on the seat map and return (Thursday) showing 16. Considering whether I should waitlist miles+copay, or just rely on my EXP comp. Thoughts?
Rolling EQD may be important in this determination? In hub-hub flights out of CLT i have been surprised sometimes how low i am on the list at ~23k EQD.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by Uzzar
Rolling EQD may be important in this determination? In hub-hub flights out of CLT i have been surprised sometimes how low i am on the list at ~23k EQD.
Sorry, yeah that was a glaring omission. I've fallen off on my tracking data-entry, but I expect my rolling EQD is somewhere around 18k. So, not a big number...
Old Mar 2, 2019, 9:12 am

Ha...and yet, overnight apparently the first one cleared!
Uzzar likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 9:17 am

Wow, and now the return is C3. It's a few days yet before the T-100 window even opens....really tempted to go ahead and confirm that one, even though my experience on the forward leg suggests I can save a few bucks by just keeping my powder dry.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 9:32 am

...and patience was never my strong suit. Went ahead and pulled the trigger on the miles+copay. The seat map was a key factor there...6L was open, but otherwise it was all middles or galley-adjacent. So I figure even if I was eventually going to clear I'd probably end up in an inferior seat. Might as well spend the $75+15k.
econometrics likes this.

Last edited by HLCinCOU; Mar 2, 2019 at 1:32 pm Reason: har har..."gallery-adjacent"
Old Mar 2, 2019, 10:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
DEN-ORD ,738, Saturday afternoon - cleared at gate (and went out with one empty seat in F)
ORD-DCA, 738, Saturday evening - cleared at gate (I was the only at gate upgrade that cleared).

I was glad to have cleared these - I switched to these flights day of departure to get out early before expected snow in Denver.

Reminder that it is a good thing that AA holds some seats back until departure...
Old Mar 4, 2019, 11:14 am

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold
Wondering what the odds are of clearing 2 upgrades on a MIA - GCM(grand cayman) flight Thursday evening going and Tuesday morning return to MIA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.