Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2019 master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2019, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Chances of Upgrade Request Clearing
NOTE: Be aware of recent (20 May 2017) upgrade priority changes.

"New Upgrade Priority as of 20 May 2017

(Upgrades were prioritized by elite status and then time of request until 20 May 2017)

Elite status
  1. Concierge Key
  2. Executive Platinum
  3. Platinum Pro
  4. Platinum
  5. Gold

Upgrade type
  1. Miles and copay award upgrades and systemwide upgrades (SWU)
  2. 500 mile upgrades on purchased tickets
  3. 500 mile upgrades on upgrade eligible awards)

Then, by
  1. Elite qualifying dollars in the past 12 months (rolling)
  2. Booking class
  3. Time of request

See Upgrade Priority Changes to Status, Rolling 365 Day EQD Spend May 20 2017

Link to Gary Leff, View From the Wing 16 May 2017

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2019 master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2019, 5:43 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Bonvoy Lifetime Plat, AC 25k, HHonors Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Finsup72
All upgrades on this route are SWU or co-pay + miles, so your status and EQD spend are the primary factors in the upgrade list
Any idea if they use my status+EQD or the original SWU holder's status+EQD?
Old Jan 17, 2019, 6:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Originally Posted by Finsup72
All upgrades on this route are SWU or co-pay + miles, so your status and EQD spend are the primary factors in the upgrade list
Ding!! Light bulb just went off on my end. That was way too simple, but I think/suspect I knew this too.

I was always just wondering at times, why the upgrade list is so short at times. Have always chalked it up -to people hoping for an op-up situation before giving up miles=copay (more value to some) than a SWU.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 6:44 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
Wanted to get seasoned AA flyers' perspective:
Got the try Gold trial and have 10 x 500 milers
Looking to fly JFK-LAX mid-week (Tue afternoon) and Basic Economy is $30 less. BE fare only $119; regular economy is $149
Need 2 tickets

Any realistic chance if I pay an extra $60 that these will clear? Given how elite heavy (and bottom rung my elite status is), I'm presuming no. But then again, I don't know if Tuesday afternoon flights (end of March) are filled with elites or not.

Alternatively, AS has regular economy for $119 and similar time, which I would probably take otherwise.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 8:33 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by luv2ctheworld
Wanted to get seasoned AA flyers' perspective:
Got the try Gold trial and have 10 x 500 milers
Looking to fly JFK-LAX mid-week (Tue afternoon) and Basic Economy is $30 less. BE fare only $119; regular economy is $149
Need 2 tickets

Any realistic chance if I pay an extra $60 that these will clear? Given how elite heavy (and bottom rung my elite status is), I'm presuming no. But then again, I don't know if Tuesday afternoon flights (end of March) are filled with elites or not.

Alternatively, AS has regular economy for $119 and similar time, which I would probably take otherwise.
Probably not, but would need to know the specific flight to make a guess. For a flight that long I'd pay the extra $30 just to have the ability to pick my own seat and potentially be able to switch to an MCE seat at T-24. And Basic Economy gets you only half the EQMs of regular economy. Isn't your Gold challenge based on EQMs?
ijgordon likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 11:31 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
Originally Posted by Stripe
Probably not, but would need to know the specific flight to make a guess. For a flight that long I'd pay the extra $30 just to have the ability to pick my own seat and potentially be able to switch to an MCE seat at T-24. And Basic Economy gets you only half the EQMs of regular economy. Isn't your Gold challenge based on EQMs?
It is... but honestly, I've given up on chasing status a few years ago. Had top tier on the 3 majors in the past but now I don't fly enough to justify status, especially everything is out of my own pocket.

The invite to Gold challenge was nice but realistically, I won't be flying more than 4 flights a year that would be of any consequence (transcon or greater). Rest of my flights would be 1-2 hr hops. Figured if I can have decent chance using the 500 milers, may take a shot at it but don't plan on actually meeting the requirements.

The scheduled flight is on Tue 3/26, one of the afternoon flights. Revenue tickets are cheap; so presumption is that there isn't much demand. But for upgrades, I suppose that is an entirely different matter.

I remember back as an ExPlat/1K/Diamond NYC-LAX route was always a crapshoot trying to get instrument upgrades.

I'll accept the fact I'm better off buying a cheaper AS fare and still give me main cabin amenities than trying to use those 500 milers, and still be stuck in the back but payed 25% more.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KKinLA
I assume you mean the date? I accidentally typed 2/22/19. My flight is 1/22/19. Any insight into upgrade possibilities or still 0?
It was 0% because this flight doesn't operate on 2/22.
The 1/22 flight only has 2 seats left for sale in business class, and 4 in Premium Economy. There seem to be a bunch of J reservations without seat assignments, which is sometimes indicative of a reservation that's held but not yet ticketed, and thus a higher chance of it being cancelled. That's probably the only thing that will get you to clear the waitlist, I'd be surprised if you were #1 or #2 as a Platinum. So net, my box says 14% chance of upgrade.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Zacnlinc
I was always just wondering at times, why the upgrade list is so short at times. Have always chalked it up -to people hoping for an op-up situation before giving up miles=copay (more value to some) than a SWU.
Often it means that many have cleared in advance. Contrary to popular belief, AA does often clear C upgrades in advance even when available J inventory is very low. My husband cleared SFO-JFK about a day before when the flight was J2. (And FWIW, ExpertFlyer never caught any C availability). His JFK-SFO flight was actually available for upgrade at booking, just over week in advance (it was C4 in fact), and it was a Friday late morning flight so not some crazy off-hour one.
Zacnlinc likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 10:24 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
Just to share my experience for LAX-LHR-LAX.

Both flights were wide open in J (I've been told it's less than 50% sold) before they cleared the upgrades. C opened up at T-35 hours (had to call in to request the upgrade to be confirmed) although I suspect that I will clear if I didn't call anyway, but better be safe than sorry.

Seems like they are really waiting until the very last few hours to clear the upgrades (understandable for a route that might get sell a lot of J tickets, but both my flights were about 60-70% full in J after all upgrades + employees have cleared and mid-week January TATL travel).

IIRC, my upgrades cleared around T-7 days last year.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 10:43 am

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by nov11
Just to share my experience for LAX-LHR-LAX.

Both flights were wide open in J (I've been told it's less than 50% sold) before they cleared the upgrades. C opened up at T-35 hours (had to call in to request the upgrade to be confirmed) although I suspect that I will clear if I didn't call anyway, but better be safe than sorry..
My hunch is that inventory management is looking at the set of BA / AA LAX-LHR flights before making these decisions.

I use these flights all the time and sometimes my SWUs clear 3-4 weeks out (even at ticketing sometimes) and sometimes as late as T-36. It seems to bear little relation to the fullness of J on my flight, but a little more to the fullness of all the flights. Its surprising how many times 136 is almost empty in J and 108 is almost completely full.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 1:27 pm

Exclamation HNL-PHX Need help

Hello guys, I need some advice on this.
I am trying to fly from HNL to LAS.
There is this HNL-PHX-LAS flight from AA which has the first segments with A330, so first class has lie flats.
I am recently upgraded to a trial platinum pro, so I am not familiar with the upgrade possibility.
The date is 2/3/19 Sunday, and it is a red eye flight. I assume people would love those lie flats....

Currently there are even award space available... I can redeem 37500 BA avios on it,which sounds reasonable. (I have lots of avios)
The cash price for economy all the way to LAS is at $250. However I would only buy this if I know I am likely to be upgraded to first, since there is a direct Hawaiian flight to LAS for $299.

So right now I have 3 possible options:
1. Redeem 37500 Avios (I value them at $500) + $5 to fly confirm in first HNL-PHX, and use buddy pass for PHX- LAS ($30)
2. Purchase HNL-PHX-LAS in economy for $250, and wait for that upgrade to first.
3. Purchase HNL to LAS in economy on Hawaiian Airline for $299.

Obviously option 2 is the best if I can be upgraded, if not, then 3 would be better. I dont mind option 1, but I would hate to know if option 2 is viable.

Here are some questions:
1. As a platinum pro, what is my chance of getting upgrade on this flight?
2. It says "72-hour upgrade window" for PPro, what does that mean? Does that mean there is no way for me to know if I am upgraded until T-72?
3. Would everything change if I have a companion with no status, and link to my reservation?
4. Any way to check the upgrade list?

Thanks!
Old Jan 18, 2019, 2:26 pm

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ericwuxp
There is this HNL-PHX-LAS flight from AA which has the first segments with A330, so first class has lie flats.
I am recently upgraded to a trial platinum pro, so I am not familiar with the upgrade possibility.
The date is 2/3/19 Sunday, and it is a red eye flight. I assume people would love those lie flats....

Currently there are even award space available... I can redeem 37500 BA avios on it,which sounds reasonable. (I have lots of avios)
The cash price for economy all the way to LAS is at $250. However I would only buy this if I know I am likely to be upgraded to first, since there is a direct Hawaiian flight to LAS for $299.

1. Redeem 37500 Avios (I value them at $500) + $5 to fly confirm in first HNL-PHX, and use buddy pass for PHX- LAS ($30)
2. Purchase HNL-PHX-LAS in economy for $250, and wait for that upgrade to first.

Obviously option 2 is the best if I can be upgraded, if not, then 3 would be better. I dont mind option 1, but I would hate to know if option 2 is viable.

Here are some questions:
2. It says "72-hour upgrade window" for PPro, what does that mean? Does that mean there is no way for me to know if I am upgraded until T-72?
3. Would everything change if I have a companion with no status, and link to my reservation?

Thanks!
1. Slim, but it could happen.
2. Correct, and you may actually not know until you get to the gate (or are already on the plane). 72 hours pre-departure would be the earliest.
3. You’d be paired on the upgrade list. So, it potentially makes your odds worse. If you’re next on the list but only one seat is available, you’ll be skipped in favor of the next solo upgrader on the list.
4. Nope. Not until T-4h on the AA app.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 2:54 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
I've got a couple of SWUs left that expire on Jan 31 and I have an upcoming trip to the east coast where I could relatively easily use SFO-JFK in the itinerary to try to go Y-J. I see J7/D7 on a few flights that day, I am at roughly $30k rolling EQD. Thoughts on my chances for clearing? I also could do SEA-JFK and avoid the connection not even needing the SWU knowing that I will have cleared a few days out anyway on that segment. anyone regularly burn SWUs on SFO-JFK who can comment.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 5:42 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by ericwuxp

Here are some questions:

Thanks!
My recommendation would be to use your Avios, or go with Hawaiian. I would not count on an upgrade going through. There is a lot of paid F on flights to Hawaii, I believe, and right now it looks like J5 on AA 693 on 2/3. So not that many seats left, even for purchase.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 5:54 pm

Thanks for the reply! Fast and clear!
Old Jan 18, 2019, 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by flyingeph12

My recommendation would be to use your Avios, or go with Hawaiian. I would not count on an upgrade going through. There is a lot of paid F on flights to Hawaii, I believe, and right now it looks like J5 on AA 693 on 2/3. So not that many seats left, even for purchase.
Yeah I just saw that J5. I think I am going to redeem my avios. Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.