FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ARCHIVE: Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2019 master thread)
Old Jan 18, 2019, 5:42 pm
flyingeph12

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by ericwuxp
Hello guys, I need some advice on this.
I am trying to fly from HNL to LAS.
There is this HNL-PHX-LAS flight from AA which has the first segments with A330, so first class has lie flats.
I am recently upgraded to a trial platinum pro, so I am not familiar with the upgrade possibility.
The date is 2/3/19 Sunday, and it is a red eye flight. I assume people would love those lie flats....

Currently there are even award space available... I can redeem 37500 BA avios on it,which sounds reasonable. (I have lots of avios)
The cash price for economy all the way to LAS is at $250. However I would only buy this if I know I am likely to be upgraded to first, since there is a direct Hawaiian flight to LAS for $299.

So right now I have 3 possible options:
1. Redeem 37500 Avios (I value them at $500) + $5 to fly confirm in first HNL-PHX, and use buddy pass for PHX- LAS ($30)
2. Purchase HNL-PHX-LAS in economy for $250, and wait for that upgrade to first.
3. Purchase HNL to LAS in economy on Hawaiian Airline for $299.

Obviously option 2 is the best if I can be upgraded, if not, then 3 would be better. I dont mind option 1, but I would hate to know if option 2 is viable.

Here are some questions:
1. As a platinum pro, what is my chance of getting upgrade on this flight?
2. It says "72-hour upgrade window" for PPro, what does that mean? Does that mean there is no way for me to know if I am upgraded until T-72?
3. Would everything change if I have a companion with no status, and link to my reservation?
4. Any way to check the upgrade list?

Thanks!
My recommendation would be to use your Avios, or go with Hawaiian. I would not count on an upgrade going through. There is a lot of paid F on flights to Hawaii, I believe, and right now it looks like J5 on AA 693 on 2/3. So not that many seats left, even for purchase.