Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2019 master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2019, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Chances of Upgrade Request Clearing
NOTE: Be aware of recent (20 May 2017) upgrade priority changes.

"New Upgrade Priority as of 20 May 2017

(Upgrades were prioritized by elite status and then time of request until 20 May 2017)

Elite status
  1. Concierge Key
  2. Executive Platinum
  3. Platinum Pro
  4. Platinum
  5. Gold

Upgrade type
  1. Miles and copay award upgrades and systemwide upgrades (SWU)
  2. 500 mile upgrades on purchased tickets
  3. 500 mile upgrades on upgrade eligible awards)

Then, by
  1. Elite qualifying dollars in the past 12 months (rolling)
  2. Booking class
  3. Time of request

See Upgrade Priority Changes to Status, Rolling 365 Day EQD Spend May 20 2017

Link to Gary Leff, View From the Wing 16 May 2017

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2019 master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2019, 2:20 pm

My wife (who flies rarely) just got an email from AA for a complimentary upgrade to PP through May. I was Gold but am about to lose that status at the end of the month. We are thinking of taking to trip to Napa/Sonoma in April. We will be flying from PHL into any of the Bay area airports (SF, OAK, SJC or even SMF). We are planning to depart either Thurs or Fri and return on Tues. What is the chance for a upgrade based on her new PP status, and what airport(s)/times should we fly to maximize this chance - (or is the chance for an upgrade slim at best).
Old Jan 9, 2019, 2:55 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Just my two cents, but I would say that the chances are bad for the first leg out of PHL (PHL-ORD, PHL-DFW, PHL-LAX, PHL-CLT, PHL-PHX), because in all of those cases, you are hub to hub, not to mention at week's end. On the next flight, you could make it, but it would not be something to count on. Better chances with an A321, with 16 F seats, but who knows? Realistically, use the fact that you are booking now and not flying until April to get a couple of aisle exit row seats, which can be plenty comfortable, and just enjoy the upgrades if they show up.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 4:09 pm

Weird today. ORD-BDL today. Only 4 of 16 F occupied. Been many years since I have been on a flight that that empty. Also booked BDL-ORD-DFW for this Friday and cleared as soon as booked. My guess is work travel hasn't restarted in earnest yet.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 4:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire Elite
Originally Posted by shaddie
Weird today. ORD-BDL today. Only 4 of 16 F occupied. Been many years since I have been on a flight that that empty. Also booked BDL-ORD-DFW for this Friday and cleared as soon as booked. My guess is work travel hasn't restarted in earnest yet.
I'm on a DEN-LHR-TLV flight this Friday, and the DEN-LHR leg (BA flight, 747) has barely 40% of the seats filled, just two days from departure. Not sure if it's holiday hangover, or work travel for many is on hold until companies see what the market is going to do. I know my company has frozen travel until end of April except for a few of us working on a merger integration, and we aren't small potatoes.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by acoburn73
I'm on a DEN-LHR-TLV flight this Friday, and the DEN-LHR leg (BA flight, 747) has barely 40% of the seats filled, just two days from departure. Not sure if it's holiday hangover, or work travel for many is on hold until companies see what the market is going to do. I know my company has frozen travel until end of April except for a few of us working on a merger integration, and we aren't small potatoes.
Sounds like a great opportunity to stretch out.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by shaddie
Sounds like a great opportunity to stretch out.
I'm in PE on the long haul and it's the only class nearly full. And, it's a BA flight, so no luck on op-up to business for EXP, unfortunately.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 6:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by worldiswide
interesting. I totally understand the I didn't push it sentiment ...ill see what happens next Wed, or before, but thanks for the advice and data point.
update from today...my partner also exp and expert flyer user got an alert that a seat was available today. Grabbed it, already reticketed and meal chosen. Also got an alert for a purchased ticket bought a couple if months ago and was able to upgrade our daughter with a SWU on a pvg to lax flight next month..shes gold and on a separate pnr from the two if us so we thought upgrade availability 7 weeks out was great.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 9:40 am

Programs: AA - EXP 1MM, Marriott/SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, BA, DL, TWA Royal Ambassador
I'm in PE on the long haul and it's the only class nearly full. And, it's a BA flight, so no luck on op-up to business for EXP, unfortunately.
It can happen.... Flying BA WTP (BA version of PE) I received an op-up for LHR-MIA with only AA PLAT status a few years ago. Though this has only happened once and never since I have been EXP.
acoburn73 likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 11:18 am

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by MarJon
It can happen.... Flying BA WTP (BA version of PE) I received an op-up for LHR-MIA with only AA PLAT status a few years ago. Though this has only happened once and never since I have been EXP.
+1. Happened to me too. I was boarding with PE BP handed over to gate agent. Reader kicked it out. She handed it over to another agent. He processed it and I was UG to J. Was on SFO-LHR. Flight was over sold!
acoburn73 likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 11:22 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by BOSishome
Kind of a stupid question but does anyone fly the DFW-PBI/ PBI-DFW route often?

How are my chances as a PLT on a weeknight?

I find that I often get UPG’ed on DFW-non-hub but have no chance on DFW-ORD or DFW-LGA.
I live in PB, and I do this routing PBI-DFW-PBI about 10x per year in each direction. The evening flights often sell out in First. The earlier flights (there are currently three per day, but out-of-season this is reduced to twice daily service) are easier. However, this is by no means a guaranteed upgrade. As EXP flying Thursdays and Sundays, I bat about 50% on this route (which is much lower than my typical 80%+).

Your better bet out of PBI is to CLT. The load tends to be more kettle-ish and less paid F. PBI to ORD afternoon or evening flights are the most difficult -- usually sell out in F, often weeks ahead of time. I call AA1022 the fur-coat-flight, as I have witnessed FAs struggling with four or even six full-length minks and sables. It's old school. Lots of drinking and "island" chatter.

All of these statistics change once May rolls around -- PBI becomes an easy upgrade during the summer months, from May until October.
BOSishome likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 1:18 pm

Amazing how fast this BA DEN-LHR flight has filled since yesterday. WTP (PE) is now full except for 4 blocked seats (one next to me blocked as I'm Oneworld Emerald, I presume), WT (economy) now from around 35% yesterday to nearly 75% today, but CW (business) still sitting with 22 open seats - including 4 blocked in the UD of the 747.

Let's hope tomorrow brings some surprises as I've flown Club World on BA before, but only because my company required business for the long haul flights (back then, now we have to be VP or higher). Not been upgraded on a BA flight yet without paying the $800 fee I once paid coming back from LHR to the US last year.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 7:28 am

Figured out why ExpertFlyer showed only 30% full on the BA218 flight to LHR from DEN the other day. BA doesn't let everyone choose their seats until after they've done online check in. This morning the plane is nearly 100% full except for a handful of blocked seats (WTP totally full, 2 blocked, economy 90% full, maybe 15 blocked, but club world still has nearly 20 seats open - a few blocked and the rest open).

Hoping I arrive later today to find the staff feeling generous to Emeralds...
Old Jan 11, 2019, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Figured out why ExpertFlyer showed only 30% full on the BA218 flight to LHR from DEN the other day. BA doesn't let everyone choose their seats until after they've done online check in. This morning the plane is nearly 100% full except for a handful of blocked seats (WTP totally full, 2 blocked, economy 90% full, maybe 15 blocked, but club world still has nearly 20 seats open - a few blocked and the rest open).

Hoping I arrive later today to find the staff feeling generous to Emeralds...
Yes, as was specifically mentioned to you in post #30 above...
Old Jan 11, 2019, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Yes, as was specifically mentioned to you in post
#30 above...
Missed that. Still getting used to the thread notifications on this forum. Thanks!
Old Jan 11, 2019, 7:11 pm

AA EXP desk rep said nope - can't do it on a BA flight unless it was on AA ticket stock (it was bought through my company-required "MyTrip", better known as AMEX "Get There").

Called BA - they said pay $3000+ to get it, or ask to use AAdvantage miles (12,500) at airport.

Now I'm wondering if there are any Emeralds that have had the surprise of getting bumped to biz class from premium, sort of like an "op-up", just because the airline wanted to move people out of economy/premium due to overbooking. Or just for the random loyalty perk.
​​​​​​​I was Plat last year and they bumped both me and my wife (Gold) up from PE to J on BA from ORD-LHR on Christmas Eve last year. I think they were bumping Y up to PE and PE up to J. I was about to pay for the one way upgrade too because it was a reasonable $800ish and I wanted to spoil ourselves for the holidays. Imagine my surprise when he looked at me all confused and said sir you're already in business!
econometrics likes this.

Last edited by ORD88; Jan 11, 2019 at 7:15 pm Reason: Edit

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.