Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2016 Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: 2016 Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2016, 6:10 pm

Is everyone else (PLT + GLD) going to buy a bunch of stickers ahead of the 30% increase?

I'm surprised I have not seen a lot of chatter (read, complaining) regarding the increase in cost of stickers. I have used 14 so far this year, and if I'm lucky I could use another 20ish this year.

I don't really want to sit on a bunch of stickers, but with lower earning rate and increase in price it seems prudent to stock up. Am I the only one?

Someone please talk me out of buying 30 stickers now at the lower rate and save $300 over the next year.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 8:34 pm

Programs: AA SMiles
Originally Posted by ZoomVT
Is everyone else (PLT + GLD) going to buy a bunch of stickers ahead of the 30% increase?

I'm surprised I have not seen a lot of chatter (read, complaining) regarding the increase in cost of stickers. I have used 14 so far this year, and if I'm lucky I could use another 20ish this year.

I don't really want to sit on a bunch of stickers, but with lower earning rate and increase in price it seems prudent to stock up. Am I the only one?

Someone please talk me out of buying 30 stickers now at the lower rate and save $300 over the next year.
Personally, buying stickers (even though at $30 each) is nonsense.
$30 for what? A business class domestica with no IFE, old seats, a $10 boring food, and couple of drinks? No way! For me, that's not business.
Id rather spend (at airport before boarding or in the restaurant before airport) a real GREAT meal for $40 or $50, and forget about eating a $10 meal in the plane. (A $10 small no variable meal which costs $30 per 500-miles?!?!?!!).
How in da world would i pay for such a robbery? A robbery that can cost even $120 for a pretty short flight (3 stickers for a 1,500 miles flights).
I do the math, and it makes no sense for me.

My only stickers are by way of actual flying. If i dont earn them flying, I dont buy them.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 11:40 pm

Programs: AA CK, SPG Plat, IHG Plat
I've been EXP since October; my 500-mile upgrades had capped at 32 and haven't moved from there (there were even two trips where I upgraded a companion but the 500-milers were never removed from my account). I just noticed that 4 more posted a week ago. Does anyone know why I wouldn't gotten those? Everything I know says that you don't earn anymore once you hit EXP, as has been reflected since I haven't gotten any in the four months I've been EXP.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 11:50 pm

Originally Posted by pinksalsa
Personally, buying stickers (even though at $30 each) is nonsense.
$30 for what? A business class domestica with no IFE, old seats, a $10 boring food, and couple of drinks? No way! For me, that's not business.
Id rather spend (at airport before boarding or in the restaurant before airport) a real GREAT meal for $40 or $50, and forget about eating a $10 meal in the plane. (A $10 small no variable meal which costs $30 per 500-miles?!?!?!!).
How in da world would i pay for such a robbery? A robbery that can cost even $120 for a pretty short flight (3 stickers for a 1,500 miles flights).
I do the math, and it makes no sense for me.

My only stickers are by way of actual flying. If i dont earn them flying, I dont buy them.
I think that's a perfectly reasonable personal policy but one size doesn't fit all.

Personally, the jfk-lax flight is one that makes sense to use stickers. The price difference between discount Y and J is much greater than the cost of 5 stickers.

It's not about the meal or even the PDB, the hard product + the extra soft product is worth the stickers to me.

I can't possibly be the only one that thinks so. And to some people even upgrading short domestic flights makes sense in their mind. I wonder if those that do use stickers are stocking up. I wish I could earn them fast enough but I don't.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 6:58 am

Programs: AA SMiles
Originally Posted by ZoomVT
I think that's a perfectly reasonable personal policy but one size doesn't fit all.

Personally, the jfk-lax flight is one that makes sense to use stickers. The price difference between discount Y and J is much greater than the cost of 5 stickers.

It's not about the meal or even the PDB, the hard product + the extra soft product is worth the stickers to me.

I can't possibly be the only one that thinks so. And to some people even upgrading short domestic flights makes sense in their mind. I wonder if those that do use stickers are stocking up. I wish I could earn them fast enough but I don't.
Of course, a JFK-LAX or a transcon flight justifies the purchase of stickers. Thats a different story. But, a short flight, in my opinion, doesnt justify to spend $90 for 3 stickers.

My rationale is that for $90, I only get a $15 value ($10 meal at MAX, and I personally value the prehistoric domestic business class aka 737, 757, 321, 320,,,,,. for $5...you know,,,old, a joke reclining, no IFE, no nothing, just leaving the plane first.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 1:26 pm

A good chunk of my flights are like that, which also consumes a lot of stickers.

If I use 20 stickers per trip (2 pax) it means $200 per trip... If I were lucky to get upgraded
Old Feb 26, 2016, 1:28 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by pinksalsa
Of course, a JFK-LAX or a transcon flight justifies the purchase of stickers. Thats a different story. But, a short flight, in my opinion, doesnt justify to spend $90 for 3 stickers.

My rationale is that for $90, I only get a $15 value ($10 meal at MAX, and I personally value the prehistoric domestic business class aka 737, 757, 321, 320,,,,,. for $5...you know,,,old, a joke reclining, no IFE, no nothing, just leaving the plane first.
You've not flown BA Club Euro, have you? Primitive... 30" seat pitch 3 X 3 across, even if middle seat is blocked. Exit row coach much better.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 2:23 pm

Programs: AA Plat, A List Pref, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by GrizShel
I'm a Platinum AAdvantage member and every single time I request an upgrade from my bank of 500-mile certs for my companion (same itinerary, different Record Locator) the request doesn't stick, they are getting an error message at check-in, and their name does not appear on the waiting list at the gate. I will call and always be told they are on the list, but they never are when I go to the gate.

Efforts to call to get this fixed have been fruitless, the telephone agents can't see the issue, and either can't or won't transfer me to someone who can see the issue. A request to have this apparent problem with the upgrade programming for companions written up and given to the web programming team have been met with "it is not possible", no one can contact them, no we can transfer this information to someone who can get it to them, etc. answers.
Had this problem PHX - OGG about a month ago. Went to the club and the AAngel fixed it. My wife then showed up right below me on the upgrade list. The nice part is we did get the upgrade. I don't travel a ton in coach with my wife so this is the first time I had it happen and figured it was a glitch. When we came home we had the same problem but know one on the island of Maui had any idea what I was talking about. So no upgrade on the red eye home.

The next week I stopped by the club and asked what they had done so I could reference it if need to in the future. She said it is an ADC...whatever that means. But if I ever have it happen again I'm gonna throw those 3 letters out like I know what I'm talking about : )
Old Feb 27, 2016, 5:37 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
I'm on the fence on buying stickers. I've got 30 in the bank now and crossed the threshold for 4 more yesterday.

I have yet to have a flight in the past 6 months where I had the ability to use a sticker. I've upgraded several short haul flights (comp "sticker", e.g., CLT-IAD), but every "long" haul flight has been a miss for me - including two DFW-DCA and DCA-DFW flights where I was #1 on the list.
Old Feb 27, 2016, 2:52 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
New to AA (from DL) and will be crossing 100k EQMs in 2 weeks.

1. Do the 500-mile upgrade stickers expire?

2. If I am EXP and traveling on the same PNR with a non-status pax can I use stickers to UG the non-status pax? Or, do I have to UG both of us?

3. Can I use 500-mile stickers to UG anyone on any PNR? Or do I have to be traveling? I read that SWUs can be applied to anyone's AA flights.
Old Feb 27, 2016, 2:57 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by thecurtisw
I've been EXP since October; my 500-mile upgrades had capped at 32 and haven't moved from there (there were even two trips where I upgraded a companion but the 500-milers were never removed from my account). I just noticed that 4 more posted a week ago. Does anyone know why I wouldn't gotten those? Everything I know says that you don't earn anymore once you hit EXP, as has been reflected since I haven't gotten any in the four months I've been EXP.
What do you mean "capped at 32"??? Do they just stop giving you them if you have 32 in your account?

After my MR ago JNB next week I should have 40. Right now I have 24
Old Feb 27, 2016, 3:12 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by 355F1
New to AA (from DL) and will be crossing 100k EQMs in 2 weeks.

1. Do the 500-mile upgrade stickers expire?

2. If I am EXP and traveling on the same PNR with a non-status pax can I use stickers to UG the non-status pax? Or, do I have to UG both of us?

3. Can I use 500-mile stickers to UG anyone on any PNR? Or do I have to be traveling? I read that SWUs can be applied to anyone's AA flights.
1: No.

2: Yes and you will automatically be on the upgrade list. I don't know whether you could decline an upgrade in favour of another pax if there was only one seat and they were next on the list but that might be possible.

3: Yes, but you must be on the same flight and you have to call in. I believe you can apply an SWU to anyone.
Old Feb 27, 2016, 11:51 pm

Programs: AA CK, SPG Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by 355F1
What do you mean "capped at 32"??? Do they just stop giving you them if you have 32 in your account?

After my MR ago JNB next week I should have 40. Right now I have 24
32 is the number I had when I hit EXP, so I wouldn't be able to earn any beyond that. I didn't mean that as 32 being an AA cap...just related to the point when I would stop earning them because of status.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 6:08 am

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold
Originally Posted by MADPhil
1: No.

2: Yes and you will automatically be on the upgrade list. I don't know whether you could decline an upgrade in favour of another pax if there was only one seat and they were next on the list but that might be possible.

3: Yes, but you must be on the same flight and you have to call in. I believe you can apply an SWU to anyone.
I should know this, but it's been so long since I traveled 1) on an award ticket myself and 2) with someone else that I only have vague recollections of info I've seen here: can 500-mile and SWUs be used on award tickets linked to my reservation? Or will I need to forego all upgrades since my fiance is on an award?
Old Feb 29, 2016, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by zpaul
I should know this, but it's been so long since I traveled 1) on an award ticket myself and 2) with someone else that I only have vague recollections of info I've seen here: can 500-mile and SWUs be used on award tickets linked to my reservation? Or will I need to forego all upgrades since my fiance is on an award?
No, award tickets can not be upgraded, linked or not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.