Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2016 Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: 2016 Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2016, 7:56 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
after you book the tickets and request the upgrade, call AA and have them link the reservations. That way, your wife will clear with you (upgrade segments come out of your account, not hers, since she's using your status as your companion). They'll ask you if you still want to be upgraded if there is only 1 upgrade seat left (and be split up).
Old Mar 15, 2016, 8:06 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
I've run into this issue as well since coming over from US. As mentioned above, the only way around it is to, at the gate, request the gate agent to make the lower status person your "companion" so that they get your status. Unfortunately, not all agents know how to do this (or are willing to do this). Additionally, if you are making a connection, boarding and the upgrading process may have already started by the time you get to a gate.

To me, this is a defect in their system. AA won't admit it, but it is as per how the upgrades are supposed to work. Basically, once you get to airport control, your companion "loses" your status if they also have status.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 9:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I booked a trip with my wife (no status) and put in the sticker request at time of booking. At this point, we're on the same PNR and in order to clear the upgrade there would need to be 2 available seats in X inventory, correct?

I believe I've read before that the way to do it in case there's only 1 available seat in the X bucket is to split the PNR so we can clear 1 at a time.

Is this right?
Old Mar 15, 2016, 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by GNRMatt
I've run into this issue as well since coming over from US. As mentioned above, the only way around it is to, at the gate, request the gate agent to make the lower status person your "companion" so that they get your status.
You can call and link the resv as soon as you book the tickets. No need to wait until the gate. That way, you (and your linked companion) should/could clear at your normal upgrade window of 100/72/24 hours before flight time.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 10:18 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by michaelpop
I booked a trip with my wife (no status) and put in the sticker request at time of booking. At this point, we're on the same PNR and in order to clear the upgrade there would need to be 2 available seats in X inventory, correct?

I believe I've read before that the way to do it in case there's only 1 available seat in the X bucket is to split the PNR so we can clear 1 at a time.

Is this right?
Yes.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 5:22 am

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by cynicAAl
You can call and link the resv as soon as you book the tickets. No need to wait until the gate. That way, you (and your linked companion) should/could clear at your normal upgrade window of 100/72/24 hours before flight time.
If you book on the same reservation, shouldn't they already be linked? The problem is, I always book me and my girlfriend on the same reservation. If we clear during the normal 72 hour (Platinum) window, we get upgraded together and everything works as it is supposed. However, once it gets to gate control, that's when we become "un-bundled" for the purpose of upgrades. The only way around this, I have found, is to ask the gate agent to make her my "companion" in the upgrade list.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 6:28 am

Programs: Amex Plat, Bonvoy Titanium, Jelly of the month club
I had this issue in DUB recently. Applied SWUs a month or so in advance and I was number 1 on the upgrade list and my wife was number 5. Both on the same reservation. Had to let the upgrade to go someone else.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 7:22 am

Programs: AA Pl, KL Platinum for Life
Originally Posted by cynicAAl
If you select two pax when booking on AA.com and input both pax info, aren't they automatically "linked?"
Old Mar 16, 2016, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by Lakeviewsteve
If you select two pax when booking on AA.com and input both pax info, aren't they automatically "linked?"
yes, although technically, the 2 people aren't "linked" (from 2 separate PNRs), since they are already on the same PNR, but I get your point.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 12:26 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by jasoninaz
I realize this is probably a dumb question but AA's upgrade process still sort of confuses me coming over from a relatively simple US program.

I travel a lot with my wife and I am a plat and she is a gold.

I put in for upgrade last week and my name was called but I noticed my wifes name was still 5 people down on the screen.

I was under the impression that one companion would upgrade with me but they said this is not the case, however on the site it still seems to suggest that.. so i let the upgrade go.

Question is.. is it only that she would upgrade with me if she beat out others upgrading or she and I were the only ones? Seems silly to say that a companion upgrades with you then.. if that is the case.
I'm going to go ahead and shift this discussion into the extant thread dealing with 500 mile upgrades and how they work.

~Moderator
Old Mar 17, 2016, 8:56 am

I have tried to research this matter but haven't been able to locate an answer so I apologize for posting if it has already been answered.

Can a companion on an award ticket (separate PNR but linked to Gold cash ticket) utilize a 500 mile upgrade to be upgraded assuming that the gold cash tickets is automatically upgraded?
Old Mar 17, 2016, 11:35 am

Location: St. Louis, MO - AA PLT/2.98MM (Lifetime PLT), Delta PM, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat
Programs: TW Elite (RIP), CO OnePass
Originally Posted by Nickp41
Can a companion on an award ticket (separate PNR but linked to Gold cash ticket) utilize a 500 mile upgrade to be upgraded assuming that the gold cash tickets is automatically upgraded?
No, upgrades are not allowed on award tickets period.

Greg
Old Mar 25, 2016, 7:53 am

Location: In the process of moving from Dubai back to Tokyo because I didn't like it there. Working in Melaka, Malaysia now.
Programs: No longer loyal to any airline.
Question What Do I Do With My Old 500 Mile Upgrade "stickers"?

A few years ago I purchased three 500 mile UG's and they have been sitting in my account ever since. I did attempt to use them once but the gate agent informed me that I wasn't eligible because I no longer had elite status.

Since I don't intend on being loyal to any airline or alliance in the foreseeable future, what can I do with these UG's?
Old Mar 25, 2016, 8:02 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
What Do I Do With My Old 500 Mile UG's?

You use to be able to convert to mikes I believe
Old Mar 25, 2016, 8:10 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by fotographer
You use to be able to convert to mikes I believe
That helps.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.