FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: 2016 Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1948767-archive-2016-sticker-500-mile-exp-udu-complimentary-upgrade-policy-faq.html)

the007expert Jan 1, 2016 6:20 pm

ARCHIVE: 2016 Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ

Today, I got very lucky as my upgrade cleared into business class from JFK to LAX. However, the upgrade cleared into the R bucket instead of the usual X bucket. Will AA deduct stickers if my upgrade was processed in the R bucket?

The current thread can be read and posted to here

grrizzli Jan 2, 2016 10:39 am

Can an upgrade clear if a passenger (PLT) doesn't have enough stickers? A bit more background: my companion (PLT) and I (EXP) are on the same reservation. The companion has only 4 stickers, when 6 stickers are required. I have plenty of stickers.

Let's assume that 2 seats are simultaneously available for complimentary/stickers upgrades. Does it mean that neither of us would be upgraded unless two extra stickers are purchased by the companion? Alternatively, can the upgrades be confirmed with the option to purchase the missing 2 stickers later?

United747 Jan 2, 2016 10:57 am

Originally Posted by grrizzli (Post 25949695)
Can an upgrade clear if a passenger (PLT) doesn't have enough stickers? A bit more background: my companion (PLT) and I (EXP) are on the same reservation. The companion has only 4 stickers, when 6 stickers are required. I have plenty of stickers.

Let's assume that 2 seats are simultaneously available for complimentary/stickers upgrades. Does it mean that neither of us would be upgraded unless two extra stickers are purchased by the companion? Alternatively, can the upgrades be confirmed with the option to purchase the missing 2 stickers later?

You'll clear. It will probably not let you check in though. Then at check-in, you can tell them what account the stickers should come from.

Resident Jan 4, 2016 9:29 am

500mi upgrades and loss of status

I requested upgrades (via 500mi stickers) at booking on an itinerary for this spring. Turns out I will lose status in the interim (bummer). What happens in that scenario? My assumption is nothing (i.e., as if I had not requested the upgrades). Any reason I should un-request the upgrades? My only fear would be being pulled from the economy pool, then them realizing I am not eligible to upgrade and losing my economy seat selection (or seat entirely). Any advice?

Thanks.

(n.b. re-posting this unanswered question from a month or so back)

wetrat0 Jan 4, 2016 10:08 am

Originally Posted by Resident (Post 25959110)
I requested upgrades (via 500mi stickers) at booking on an itinerary for this spring. Turns out I will lose status in the interim (bummer). What happens in that scenario? My assumption is nothing (i.e., as if I had not requested the upgrades). Any reason I should un-request the upgrades? My only fear would be being pulled from the economy pool, then them realizing I am not eligible to upgrade and losing my economy seat selection (or seat entirely). Any advice?

Thanks.

My advice is don't do anything. With the caveat that it has been a couple of years since I have experienced this firsthand, status on American "sticks" to your reservation. When I briefly moved to Delta a few years ago, I lost status on American, but I still got "Gold" printed on my boarding passes for reservations that I made while I had Gold status (and I got upgraded).

FlyIgglesFly Jan 4, 2016 10:13 am

Similar situation here, but no 500 miles upgrades on future reservations, just 12 in the bank and no domestic reservation to which to apply them. I have enough international travel to requalify by May, but what happens to the 12 I have banked?

Resident Jan 4, 2016 10:24 am

Originally Posted by FlyIgglesFly (Post 25959446)
Similar situation here, but no 500 miles upgrades on future reservations, just 12 in the bank and no domestic reservation to which to apply them. I have enough international travel to requalify by May, but what happens to the 12 I have banked?

You hold on to any 500mi stickers you have (no expiration) and could use them in the future if you regain status.

Originally Posted by wetrat0 (Post 25959417)
My advice is don't do anything. With the caveat that it has been a couple of years since I have experienced this firsthand, status on American "sticks" to your reservation. When I briefly moved to Delta a few years ago, I lost status on American, but I still got "Gold" printed on my boarding passes for reservations that I made while I had Gold status (and I got upgraded).

Very interesting. Has anyone else experienced/can others confirm this "stickiness"?

Microwave Jan 4, 2016 10:31 am

Originally Posted by Resident (Post 25959110)

Thanks.

The question wasn't answered as it was asked in the wrong place. :) I'll move this thread to the correct thread for this discussion.

~Moderator

chrisremo Jan 4, 2016 11:24 am

Originally Posted by Resident (Post 25959514)
You hold on to any 500mi stickers you have (no expiration) and could use them in the future if you regain status.

Very interesting. Has anyone else experienced/can others confirm this "stickiness"?

It's certainly sticky in the OTHER direction—i.e., when I moved from no-status to Gold, and from Gold to Plat, my reservations booked when I was at the lower level did not recognize my higher level at the time of flight. Once I caught on to this, I made sure to always call and have them "refresh" my reservations so I'd be in the proper place on the upgrade list, but it meant that my first flight as a Gold, I didn't even have a chance to get upgraded and I didn't realize why at the time.

I know that's not quite the same as the poster's question but I think it provides evidence of general status stickiness on reservations.

MauiOC Jan 4, 2016 6:50 pm

Too few stickers - Need to buy ahead of clearing?

Sorry if this has been answered before but wanted clarification. Regarding the following:

"Boarding passes must be issued by an airline representative, subject to applicable seat availability and operational restrictions, and only upon presentation of your AAdvantage card and verification of the required number of upgrades in your upgrade account. The appropriate number of upgrades will be deducted from your electronic upgrade account at the time of travel."

So, do I need to make sure the proper number of stickers is in my account before my upgrade is cleared? Or will the upgrade confirm and then I can buy the extra ones necessary to fulfill it? Don't want to buy unnecessary 500 mile upgrades if I'm not going to be cleared. Never had an issue with having too few in my account. This is the first instance. Thanks and apologies if this has been asked before.

chrisremo Jan 4, 2016 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by MauiOC (Post 25962421)
Sorry if this has been answered before but wanted clarification. Regarding the following:

"Boarding passes must be issued by an airline representative, subject to applicable seat availability and operational restrictions, and only upon presentation of your AAdvantage card and verification of the required number of upgrades in your upgrade account. The appropriate number of upgrades will be deducted from your electronic upgrade account at the time of travel."

So, do I need to make sure the proper number of stickers is in my account before my upgrade is cleared? Or will the upgrade confirm and then I can buy the extra ones necessary to fulfill it? Don't want to buy unnecessary 500 mile upgrades if I'm not going to be cleared. Never had an issue with having too few in my account. This is the first instance. Thanks and apologies if this has been asked before.

You can buy them after the upgrade is cleared, because upgrades clear regardless of whether or not you're checked in, but you'll need the stickers in your account in order to actually get your new boarding pass.

uclacolumbiaunc Jan 4, 2016 8:48 pm

companion upgrade on the same reservation... if my flight is 2000 miles, do i need 4 500-miles upgrade certificates or 8 in order to upgrade both of my companion and myself?

nyczreklis Jan 4, 2016 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by uclacolumbiaunc (Post 25962961)
companion upgrade on the same reservation... if my flight is 2000 miles, do i need 4 500-miles upgrade certificates or 8 in order to upgrade both of my companion and myself?

You'll need 8

RogerD408 Jan 5, 2016 6:12 am

Originally Posted by uclacolumbiaunc (Post 25962961)

Originally Posted by nyczreklis (Post 25963450)
You'll need 8

You don't show your status. If you are EXP then only 4 500-mile upgrades are required for your companion. If not, then 8 for the two of you. If you split the rez then it would be 4 each with each qualifying on your own status.

SJC AA Jan 6, 2016 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by the007expert (Post 25947317)
Today, I got very lucky as my upgrade cleared into business class from JFK to LAX. However, the upgrade cleared into the R bucket instead of the usual X bucket. Will AA deduct stickers if my upgrade was processed in the R bucket?

R is the normal bucket for sticker upgrades on 3-class flights.