Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2016 Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: 2016 Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ

Search this Thread

Old Feb 29, 2016, 6:18 am

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold
Originally Posted by RogerD408
No, award tickets can not be upgraded, linked or not.
I didn't think so; I must have had a very realistic dream about it at one time or another...
Old Feb 29, 2016, 9:03 am

No, award tickets can not be upgraded, linked or not.
According to the official rules, that's correct. However, I know people who have used 500 mile upgrades on award tickets, but it was at the whim of a gate agent and definitely not something that you could count on. I also know people who were traveling on award tickets and were offered paid "load factor based" upgrades at kiosk check-in.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by dogcanyon
According to the official rules, that's correct. However, I know people who have used 500 mile upgrades on award tickets, but it was at the whim of a gate agent and definitely not something that you could count on. I also know people who were traveling on award tickets and were offered paid "load factor based" upgrades at kiosk check-in.
Unofficially, you can be upgraded but it will involve luck and a friendly agent's keystroke.
A few weeks ago, an AC AAngel moved my PIT-LGA Avios award ticket to an earlier flight and added me to the upgrade list, which the GA cleared.

Last edited by SFO777; Feb 29, 2016 at 9:30 am
Old Feb 29, 2016, 2:45 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by thecurtisw
32 is the number I had when I hit EXP, so I wouldn't be able to earn any beyond that. I didn't mean that as 32 being an AA cap...just related to the point when I would stop earning them because of status.
Waaaaait a second--are you telling me that once you hit EXP you do not earn any more 500-miles upgrade stickers???

I already have 160k EQMs planned through August and was hoping to bank some more after I become EXP.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by 355F1
Waaaaait a second--are you telling me that once you hit EXP you do not earn any more 500-miles upgrade stickers???

I already have 160k EQMs planned through August and was hoping to bank some more after I become EXP.
No, in exchange for free upgrades, you no longer earn any. Been that way for many years. Welcome to AA.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 5:22 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
No, in exchange for free upgrades, you no longer earn any. Been that way for many years. Welcome to AA.
Yikes. Well that sucks.

Learn new things every day here!
Old Mar 1, 2016, 8:28 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by pinksalsa
Personally, buying stickers (even though at $30 each) is nonsense.
$30 for what? A business class domestica with no IFE, old seats, a $10 boring food, and couple of drinks? No way! For me, that's not business.
Id rather spend (at airport before boarding or in the restaurant before airport) a real GREAT meal for $40 or $50, and forget about eating a $10 meal in the plane. (A $10 small no variable meal which costs $30 per 500-miles?!?!?!!).
How in da world would i pay for such a robbery? A robbery that can cost even $120 for a pretty short flight (3 stickers for a 1,500 miles flights).
I do the math, and it makes no sense for me.
This is the beauty of the programme: those who don't value the upgrades don't clog up the system with upgraders, leaving room for those of us that do value them.

Originally Posted by MADPhil
2: Yes and you will automatically be on the upgrade list. I don't know whether you could decline an upgrade in favour of another pax if there was only one seat and they were next on the list but that might be possible.
I may be wrong but I think that EXPs are not automatically added to the upgrade list if there are multiple people on the PNR.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 9:09 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Microwave
I may be wrong but I think that EXPs are not automatically added to the upgrade list if there are multiple people on the PNR.
That is likely true. However I think that if the OP requests a coupon upgrade for someone on the same PNR then OP will automatically be added to the list.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
With the latest revisions to aa.com, is there any way now to go back and see what my "EQMs needed to earn 500-mile upgrades" was before the reset?
Old Mar 2, 2016, 2:56 pm

As I understand it, I can't use the stickers I've had for years because I don't have status. What should I do with them? I doubt AA will buy them back.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Gringa
As I understand it, I can't use the stickers I've had for years because I don't have status. What should I do with them? I doubt AA will buy them back.
As stated in the wiki above, they can be used if you are traveling with an elite. And they do not expire, so should you make status again...

No, AA will not buy them back.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 3:05 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Gringa
Hang onto them and regain status! You might be able to use them if you travel on the same PNR with someone who has status and you get a friendly agent.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MADPhil
Hang onto them and regain status! You might be able to use them if you travel on the same PNR with someone who has status and you get a friendly agent.
No need to be on the same PNR and if known before, don't even need a friendly GA. Non-status can use 500-mile upgrades when traveling with a status pax.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 4:51 pm

Programs: United 1K; AA Platinum
Anyone having problems with upgrade requests going through when booking today?

I have an itinerary that I put on hold and clicked the check boxes next to "Request Upgrade," but the subsequent landing page then shows "Upgrade Not Requested." I've tried multiple times. I don't know if this has anything to do with my elite status lapsing yesterday (which I've since bought back up to Platinum with status showing in my account), but otherwise all other status benefits (such as free MCE seats) seem to be working just fine.

Last edited by blueheronNC; Mar 2, 2016 at 4:56 pm
Old Mar 2, 2016, 6:58 pm
KBW

Programs: AA LT PLAT
Using companion's 500 mile stickers

I am platinum with zero stickers in my account. My husband is gold with over 50 stickers in his account. When we fly on the same pnr and request an upgrade, can I use his stickers for my upgrade even if it is based on my platinum status rather than his gold status?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.