Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2016 Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: 2016 Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2016, 8:26 am

Programs: AA EXP
Maybe someday you'll accidentally achieve elite status again. Not much else you can do.
Old Mar 25, 2016, 9:17 am

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Gold Elite, Lowly kettle across every other loyalty program.
They took away the full Y fare exception for non-elites.
Old Mar 25, 2016, 9:59 am
Community Director Emerita

We haven't been able to convert them to miles for years. That was taken away with no notice. I know of nothing that you can do with them. I've had a lot of 500 mile UGs sitting in my account for years.
Old Mar 25, 2016, 10:17 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by iplaybass
They took away the full Y fare exception for non-elites.
Probably not that useful anyways as full Y is usually more expensive than discount F/J
Old Mar 25, 2016, 10:32 am

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Gold Elite, Lowly kettle across every other loyalty program.
Originally Posted by matrixwalker2012
Probably not that useful anyways as full Y is usually more expensive than discount F/J
Agreed. No upgrade roulette required. I only use mine when it's not worth spending the money (primarily STL-PHL monthly weekend turns on an E175.)
Old Mar 25, 2016, 7:26 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by InTokyo
A few years ago I purchased three 500 mile UG's and they have been sitting in my account ever since. I did attempt to use them once but the gate agent informed me that I wasn't eligible because I no longer had elite status.

Since I don't intend on being loyal to any airline or alliance in the foreseeable future, what can I do with these UG's?
Befriend and travel with someone who has status. You may then be allowed to use your coupons if you are both upgraded.
Old Mar 25, 2016, 11:18 pm

Programs: AA, DL Platinum, AS, AF/KL, UA, VS, HA, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by MADPhil
Befriend and travel with someone who has status. You may then be allowed to use your coupons if you are both upgraded.
Innocent flyer: My sister called and said her dog died.
Obsessed FTer: Oh that's too bad... Hey, we're in the upgrade window. Did it come through?
Innocent flyer: Aren't you concerned about my sister's emotional state right now?
Obsessed FTer: Uh, yeah, sure. Poor dog. So are we sitting in first?
Innocent flyer: Did you become friends with me just so you might get to use your expired 500 mile stickers for the next time you travel?
Obsessed FTer: Uhhhh...
Innocent fler: 1. You can't use them. 2. We didn't get the upgrade - Dallas to JFK? Are you kidding me? 3. Get out of my house. 4. Get a job.
Old Mar 25, 2016, 11:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP; UA Silver; Marriott Platinum Premier; Hilton Gold; Hyatt Platinum; National Executive Elite
Talking

Originally Posted by Oakshadow
Innocent flyer: My sister called and said her dog died.
Obsessed FTer: Oh that's too bad... Hey, we're in the upgrade window. Did it come through?
Innocent flyer: Aren't you concerned about my sister's emotional state right now?
Obsessed FTer: Uh, yeah, sure. Poor dog. So are we sitting in first?
Innocent flyer: Did you become friends with me just so you might get to use your expired 500 mile stickers for the next time you travel?
Obsessed FTer: Uhhhh...
Innocent fler: 1. You can't use them. 2. We didn't get the upgrade - Dallas to JFK? Are you kidding me? 3. Get out of my house. 4. Get a job.
Love this! ^
Old Mar 25, 2016, 11:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
You may just have to stick 'em.
Old Mar 27, 2016, 7:02 pm

Programs: National Executive Elite, IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Gold, SW A List, Marriott Gold
500 mile upgrade not processed, seats available

I'm less than 72 hours out from my flight and there are 7 F seats still open (767) but my upgrade has not yet processed (I'm Platinum). Are there certain situations where they don't auto process at the 72 hour mark?
Old Mar 27, 2016, 7:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, PriorityClub Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold fivestar
Originally Posted by MSP_Monopoly
I'm less than 72 hours out from my flight and there are 7 F seats still open (767) but my upgrade has not yet processed (I'm Platinum). Are there certain situations where they don't auto process at the 72 hour mark?
Depends on whether they still think they can sell the seats. What is the date and flight number?
Old Mar 27, 2016, 7:13 pm

Programs: National Executive Elite, IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Gold, SW A List, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ChrL
Depends on whether they still think they can sell the seats. What is the date and flight number?
It's a mid week flight hub to hub. I'd rather not share specifics.
Old Mar 27, 2016, 7:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM; LH FT (*A Silver); Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite; Starwood Corporate Preferred
Hub to hub....depending on market plenty of people paying for F. Wouldn't be surprised if this wasn't upgraded until the gate.
Old Mar 27, 2016, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
A couple of misinformation here:

1. Possible for an F seat to be sold but unassigned. Seat maps show assigned seats.

2. AA must release upgrade inventory before upgrades get processed. Although we expect them to do this before our status windows open, many times they just don't.
Old Mar 27, 2016, 7:38 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Are there certain situations where they don't auto process at the 72 hour mark?
All the time. Sometimes as late as after boarding. Sometimes seats go out empty.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.