Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2016 Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: 2016 Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2016, 3:01 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA EXP
60 miles short of 500-Mile Upgrade Milestone

Hey All. First full year with AA and it looks like I'm going to miss my next 500-mile upgrade milestone by about 60 miles!

Does AA do any kind of soft-landing for this...or, maybe prorate me 3 upgrades instead of the full 4?
Old Jan 21, 2016, 3:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by ridepow
Hey All. First full year with AA and it looks like I'm going to miss my next 500-mile upgrade milestone by about 60 miles!

Does AA do any kind of soft-landing for this...or, maybe prorate me 3 upgrades instead of the full 4?
Not that I ever heard of. You could always just buy the one 500 mile upgrade (sticker) online if your upgrade clears.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 3:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Not that I ever heard of. You could always just buy the one 500 mile upgrade (sticker) online if your upgrade clears.
That is exactly why they sell the stickers.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 3:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP - Marriott LT Platinum - National Exec Elite
Widely reported on FT in the past that if you call, they often will give you a portion of the stickers close to what you would have earned per 2500 miles.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 3:46 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by ridepow

In fact, they often have pro rated "stickers", and there are annual threads on that.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 3:57 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by dzflyer
Ok thanks. My dad beat cancer and he is platinum for life. Im a high tier on delta and have flown american seldom in the past 5 to 7 yrs. We want to upgrade him with stickers if possible as we are going to take him on a golfing trip in hawaii. Another question, if I have sticker upgrades can I use them on him if not flying with him?
You must be flying with him to do that.

In this instance, he must have stickers in his account to upgrade, he must request the upgrade, and his status - and within that the date of request - will determine his position on the list.

Another option if there's upgrade inventory is to upgrade him with miles and copay.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 4:00 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA EXP
Originally Posted by JDiver
In fact, they often have pro rated "stickers", and there are annual threads on that.
Where is this thread you speak of?
Old Jan 22, 2016, 9:46 am

Programs: AA PLT, Marriott LTP
How long does it take for the stickers to be deducted from your account?
I was upgraded on 2 flights this week, one on Monday and one on Wed. Both about 800miles so 4 stickers total. I checked my account today and it shows none have been deducted.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 4:30 pm

Programs: UA Gold, SPG Gold, MR Gold, AA Plat Pro, HH Gold
Calendar confusion

I'm on a Plat challenge that I started earlier this month. AA gave me gold immediately so I'm on my way to earning 500 mile stickers. I'll cross 10,000 EQM later this month so I'll get my first set then. I've got a number of flights coming in February and March and I'm a bit confused by the language on AA's website:

AAdvantage Platinum and Gold members will earn four 500-mile upgrades for every 10,000 EQMs earned during each membership year. Effective March 1, 2016, members will earn four 500-miles upgrades for every 12,500 EQMs earned during each membership year.

Mileage counters used to determine the number of 500-mile upgrades earned are reset to 0 at the beginning of the membership year.

Note that the membership year for elite status earned prior to 2016 is March 1 or the date you qualify for elite status, through the last day of February. The membership year for elite status earned on January 1, 2016, and beyond is February 1 or the date you qualify for elite status, through the last day of January.
I get that after March 1 it will take 12,500 EQMs to earn stickers, but what is the reset date for my calendar? Does my "membership year" start in early January when I was granted gold? Or is it through "the last day of January" because I qualified this January? Or will it reset on March 1? Or will it not reset at all because I got status in 2016?
Old Jan 23, 2016, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by StarlightSusan
I'm on a Plat challenge that I started earlier this month. AA gave me gold immediately so I'm on my way to earning 500 mile stickers. I'll cross 10,000 EQM later this month so I'll get my first set then. I've got a number of flights coming in February and March and I'm a bit confused by the language on AA's website:

I get that after March 1 it will take 12,500 EQMs to earn stickers, but what is the reset date for my calendar? Does my "membership year" start in early January when I was granted gold? Or is it through "the last day of January" because I qualified this January? Or will it reset on March 1? Or will it not reset at all because I got status in 2016?
Your sticker counter will reset March 1st
Your status, should you not reach gold/plat through regular EQM by the end of the year, will last until January 31st, 2017
Old Jan 24, 2016, 6:28 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
500-mile Upgrade Questions

I switched to AA last year and made Exec Plat. Complimentary upgrade cleared on every flight that I was on this year (8 segments so far). Anyway, I will be traveling with my daughter (same PNR). When booking, I remember I had to click a button to request the upgrade (not automatic like when I'm traveling alone). I just checked the reservation and it shows type of upgrade as 500-mile upgrade. Here are my questions:

(1) The 500-mile upgrade only applies to my daughter and I still get complimentary upgrade, right?
(2) I don't have 500-mile certs/coupons. Do I buy it now or will I be charged automatically when my daughter gets upgraded?
(3) Will my daughter get the same priority when it comes to upgrades (I don't want to seat in F and she in back)?
Old Jan 24, 2016, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by BlindPilot
I switched to AA last year and made Exec Plat. Complimentary upgrade cleared on every flight that I was on this year (8 segments so far). Anyway, I will be traveling with my daughter (same PNR). When booking, I remember I had to click a button to request the upgrade (not automatic like when I'm traveling alone). I just checked the reservation and it shows type of upgrade as 500-mile upgrade. Here are my questions:

(1) The 500-mile upgrade only applies to my daughter and I still get complimentary upgrade, right?
Yes, just your daughter.
(2) I don't have 500-mile certs/coupons. Do I buy it now or will I be charged automatically when my daughter gets upgraded?
You will need to take action to buy the 500-mile upgrades, either online before checking in, or at airport. Remember, they don't expire, so if you plan on taking companions, buying earlier is wise and may be cheaper.
(3) Will my daughter get the same priority when it comes to upgrades (I don't want to seat in F and she in back)?
Yes, as long as she is on the same PNR. However, two seats will need to open at the same time or you will be skipped over. Sometimes a call to the EXP desk can get a second seat opened up, but definitely a YMMV situation.[quote][\quote]
Old Jan 25, 2016, 7:26 am

Programs: American Airlines, IHG, Avis Preferred
500 mile stickers while EXP

Hi,

I gained EXP status late last year. Haven't flown yet. But I also noticed that the "miles left for next 500 miles stickers" line is gone and I can't see it in the website or on the app.

Do people with EXP status not gain 500 mile stickers?
Old Jan 25, 2016, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by ddtulosbasu
Hi,

I gained EXP status late last year. Haven't flown yet. But I also noticed that the "miles left for next 500 miles stickers" line is gone and I can't see it in the website or on the app.

Do people with EXP status not gain 500 mile stickers?
No. All your personal travel is comp'd so you don't need them for your own travel, just for companions. If you had any in your account they do not expire and can be used anytime. If not, you will need to buy them with dollars or miles.

Also, if you know you had a significant portion of the 10k needed to earn 500-mile upgrades, call in to see if they will issue any. The counter gets reset March 1st, so make sure you request them before then.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 5:18 pm

I was directed to this thread from the newbie thread. Hopefully someone here can help.

I'm a new AA Platinum and I have a question about 500-mile upgrades.

I purchased an under-500 mile flight using Citi ThankYou points through my Prestige card. When I added the flight to my AA account using the record locator, the upgrade section required me to use one 500-mile sticker to upgrade. It also stated: "Upgrades displayed are for any passenger(s) not eligible for a complimentary upgrade."

I was under the impression sub 500-mile flight upgrades are complimentary. Is that not the case? Is it because I purchased the flight with ThankYou points?

I entered my AA number when I booked and the flight appears in my upcoming flights. The seat selection also allows me access to complimentary MCE seating.

Thanks for the help.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.