Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2016 Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: 2016 Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2016, 9:34 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by TWA Guy
OK thanks, so i should see the 4 upgrades soon then right?
You should, unless some IT enhancement swallows them. My wife was just credited in the scenario that I described so a check of the "miles needed" counter should confirm it.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
I went over my 10,000 last Sunday, and it was Friday before my upgrades deposited.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 7:14 am

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Gold/Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by wrp96
I went over my 10,000 last Sunday, and it was Friday before my upgrades deposited.
They finally showed up!
Old Jan 19, 2016, 12:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP
What am I doing wrong?

Hi all,

Have a problem I've encountered a couple times now... When I purchased the ticket on aa.com I requested an upgrade and the itn page on aa.com states "upgrade requested"... Checked a couple times after that and it still states "upgrade requested"... Then I get to the airport and check in.. Still states "upgrade requested"... When I get to the gate I'm nowhere on the upgrade list. I went to the GA and asked and she said that I wasn't on the list....

What am I doing wrong? Should I call and verify that I'm on the UG list for every ticket I want to try to upgrade??
Old Jan 19, 2016, 1:35 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by FlyingLaw
Hi all,

Have a problem I've encountered a couple times now... When I purchased the ticket on aa.com I requested an upgrade and the itn page on aa.com states "upgrade requested"... Checked a couple times after that and it still states "upgrade requested"... Then I get to the airport and check in.. Still states "upgrade requested"... When I get to the gate I'm nowhere on the upgrade list. I went to the GA and asked and she said that I wasn't on the list....

What am I doing wrong? Should I call and verify that I'm on the UG list for every ticket I want to try to upgrade??
Something I noticed is that when you don't have enough upgrades for all of the segments you requested, it will not show you on the list. For instance I was flying SEAPHXSTL and requested upgrades on both legs. I had 3 -500 mile upgrades in my balance but only appeared on the SEAPHX list. I didn't except to clear SEAPHX, but I did at the gate. On the flight I bought another 3 certs for the PHXSTL leg but didn't show up on the list. I had to have the agent manually add me once I arrived PHX.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 2:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by qukslvr619
Something I noticed is that when you don't have enough upgrades for all of the segments you requested, it will not show you on the list. For instance I was flying SEAPHXSTL and requested upgrades on both legs. I had 3 -500 mile upgrades in my balance but only appeared on the SEAPHX list. I didn't except to clear SEAPHX, but I did at the gate. On the flight I bought another 3 certs for the PHXSTL leg but didn't show up on the list. I had to have the agent manually add me once I arrived PHX.
I have plenty of stickers in my account (they've been there for a while so its not a case of them not posting yet) so that's not the issue... It's just frustrating when everything online says I've requested the upgrade but when I get to the airport the GA says I havent.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 3:35 pm

Programs: AA Pl, KL Platinum for Life
Originally Posted by illinifan4249
2 Questions about stickers as a gold.

1) One is there anyway to make it so that if I have a companion that we will only upgrade if 2 seats are available next to each other? Both times we put in for upgrades we got upgraded but were separated so had to do some wrangling to get next to each other.

2) Does it ever make sense to do a sort of sticker run to earn some? If I can find the rest of the miles that I need for 10000 miles before March 1, and it costs less than $160 ai would it then be a worthwhile investment?

Thanks.
It also depends what airport you fly out of. During the last 12 months of departing from O'hare as a Platinum, my upgrade success has only been around 25%. With Gold it would have been less. It wouldn't be nice to take an extra trip or two to obtain more stickers if they don't let you use them anyway.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
mhmmm odd. I have a booking I want to request an upgrade on, but when I check the box for the segment and click "submit", the overview page still shows all segments as "upgrade: not requested"

... what's up with that?

edit: nvm it worked today, must've just been a glitch

Last edited by Smiley90; Jan 21, 2016 at 2:46 pm
Old Jan 21, 2016, 12:16 am

Programs: delta dm
Can sticker upgrades be used from US to hawaii? Anybody successful in doing so?
Old Jan 21, 2016, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by dzflyer
Can sticker upgrades be used from US to hawaii? Anybody successful in doing so?
Yes, they can. Haven't tried it lately though. Seeing any issues?
Old Jan 21, 2016, 7:22 am

Programs: delta dm
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Yes, they can. Haven't tried it lately though. Seeing any issues?
Ok thanks. My dad beat cancer and he is platinum for life. Im a high tier on delta and have flown american seldom in the past 5 to 7 yrs. We want to upgrade him with stickers if possible as we are going to take him on a golfing trip in hawaii. Another question, if I have sticker upgrades can I use them on him if not flying with him?
Old Jan 21, 2016, 9:24 am

Programs: AA SMiles
Im still pretty confused with the balance "reset" on March 1, 2016.

So, if I have a "EQMs needed to earn 500-mile upgrades" balance of 4,000 miles on February 27, 2016, the question is: Does it means that on March 1 such balance will display 12,500 EQM?

(meaning, will I lost my 4,000 miles?) I guess the correct amount should be "8,500 EQMs needed to earn 500-mile upgrades" because 12,500 (new rule) minus 4,000 (prior balance before March 1st) equals 8,500. Am i right?

Please, someone EXPLAIN me this "reset" stuff to be occurred March 1st.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by pinksalsa
Im still pretty confused with the balance "reset" on March 1, 2016.

So, if I have a "EQMs needed to earn 500-mile upgrades" balance of 4,000 miles on February 27, 2016, the question is: Does it means that on March 1 such balance will display 12,500 EQM?

(meaning, will I lost my 4,000 miles?) I guess the correct amount should be "8,500 EQMs needed to earn 500-mile upgrades" because 12,500 (new rule) minus 4,000 (prior balance before March 1st) equals 8,500. Am i right?

Please, someone EXPLAIN me this "reset" stuff to be occurred March 1st.
On March 1st, balance will go to zero and start all over again. Some have been successful in getting partial sets granted before the reset, but only by calling in. If you have 5k, then two 500-mile upgrades may be added to your account. Also hear some that were close to 10k were given all four.

Just looked at my account and it appears they have gone to a count-down approach rather than count up. So come March 1 (January 1, starting next year), you should see the 12,500 requirement. Again, if you are close to 10k or even 5k, it's worth a call.

Last edited by RogerD408; Jan 21, 2016 at 3:57 pm
Old Jan 21, 2016, 10:24 am

Programs: AA SMiles
Originally Posted by RogerD408
On March 1st, balance will go to zero and start all over again. Some have been successful in getting partial sets granted before the reset, but only by calling in. If you have 5k, then two 500-mile upgrades may be added to your account. Also hear some that were close to 10k were given all four.
My current situation is as follows:

My balance in the "EQMs needed to earn 500-mile upgrades" is 4,079.

Do you think i will be able to get a couple or some stickers if I call before March 1 deadline?

Which is my best scenario or the likely scenario?
Old Jan 21, 2016, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pinksalsa
My current situation is as follows:

My balance in the "EQMs needed to earn 500-mile upgrades" is 4,079.

Do you think i will be able to get a couple or some stickers if I call before March 1 deadline?

Which is my best scenario or the likely scenario?
Personally, I'd pass on it. But I'm pretty confident that you will get nothing if you do nothing. However, should you get a generous AAgent, you just might get two. This is a true exception (vs them doing what is expected according to the rules) and only those that contact AA have a chance at anything.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.