Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2016 Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: 2016 Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2016, 1:10 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by royevans
Thanks! Unfortunately we are already checked in with BP,s. Is there anything at all we can do at this point?
When you checked in did you say you didn't want to be on the upgrade list?
Old Jan 9, 2016, 1:32 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by Microwave
When you checked in did you say you didn't want to be on the upgrade list?
No - it said "you are checked in," and underneath in red letters - "your upgrade could not be processed due to lack of 500-mile upgrades in your account. Please call aa or see a reservations agent at the airport." Or something to that effect. I was never presented any options re: the upgrade.

It might matter that I checked us both in while logged into my (non elite) account
Old Jan 9, 2016, 1:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by royevans
No - it said "you are checked in," and underneath in red letters - "your upgrade could not be processed due to lack of 500-mile upgrades in your account. Please call aa or see a reservations agent at the airport." Or something to that effect. I was never presented any options re: the upgrade.

It might matter that I checked us both in while logged into my (non elite) account
Hmm... I'm stumped! Perhaps someone else can chime in? It's been a while since I've had this issue, and back then you either stayed on the list and had the stickers, went off the list and checked in, or didn't check in at all.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 1:53 pm
Formerly known as billinaz

Programs: US Airways Dividend Miles, American AAdvantage, Avis Preferred, Budget Rapid Rez, Hilton Honors
Auto upgrade and the 500 mile 'stickers'

I am Gold and I am not really getting the AA upgrade method so I thought I would ask someone who knew instead of calling AA.

I know I am eligible for upgrade 24 hours out. I don't have any stickers in my bank, but if the upgrade is available I would buy them.

My question is...... if I am eligible for an upgrade would I get a notification and a chance to buy 500 mile stickers or do they need to be in the account ahead of time?

I cannot see the logic of buying these ahead of time if they are non refundable.....
Old Jan 9, 2016, 1:55 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by Microwave
Hmm... I'm stumped! Perhaps someone else can chime in? It's been a while since I've had this issue, and back then you either stayed on the list and had the stickers, went off the list and checked in, or didn't check in at all.
That's how I remembered it as well...this was a first. It seemed to imply the upgrade was there at t-24, we didn't get it due to stickers, and that's it. anyone else seen this.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 2:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by SpaceCoastBill
I am Gold and I am not really getting the AA upgrade method so I thought I would ask someone who knew instead of calling AA.

I know I am eligible for upgrade 24 hours out. I don't have any stickers in my bank, but if the upgrade is available I would buy them.

My question is...... if I am eligible for an upgrade would I get a notification and a chance to buy 500 mile stickers or do they need to be in the account ahead of time?

I cannot see the logic of buying these ahead of time if they are non refundable.....
You will not need them ahead of time. They will need to be in your account when you check in for your flight when you are upgraded. Once you get the notice of an upgrade go online and buy the required number of stickers or buy them when you check in at a kiosk. They will cost for if you purchase them from a check in agent.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by SpaceCoastBill

Into the appropriate consolidated thread this question goes... which was already on page 1...

~Moderator
Old Jan 9, 2016, 2:28 pm
Formerly known as billinaz

Programs: US Airways Dividend Miles, American AAdvantage, Avis Preferred, Budget Rapid Rez, Hilton Honors
<redacted>

Thanks to NewYorkGeorge for the answer to my question.

Last edited by Microwave; Jan 9, 2016 at 2:44 pm Reason: Removed quote of and reply to moderator post
Old Jan 9, 2016, 9:41 pm

Is there anyway to cancel an upgrade request online short of calling in to do this? I mistakenly checked the wrong box of a multi-segment flight. For the first leg I do not want to burn an upgrade since it not that long, but over the 500 mile mark.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by RogerD408
This is such a corner case, I'm not surprised IT does not have a process to address it.
I don't think it's such a corner case. There must be tens of thousands of elites who regularly vacation with a husband / wife and one or more kids. It's a bit of a thorn in my side the way elite benefits become difficult with 3+ pax (upgrades, lounge guesting, etc), but my usual solution is to split off the third pax and upgrade him / her with miles.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 5:46 pm

Programs: AA Gold
2 Questions about stickers as a gold.

1) One is there anyway to make it so that if I have a companion that we will only upgrade if 2 seats are available next to each other? Both times we put in for upgrades we got upgraded but were separated so had to do some wrangling to get next to each other.

2) Does it ever make sense to do a sort of sticker run to earn some? If I can find the rest of the miles that I need for 10000 miles before March 1, and it costs less than $160 ai would it then be a worthwhile investment?

Thanks.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 5:50 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by illinifan4249
2 Questions about stickers as a gold.

1) One is there anyway to make it so that if I have a companion that we will only upgrade if 2 seats are available next to each other? Both times we put in for upgrades we got upgraded but were separated so had to do some wrangling to get next to each other.

2) Does it ever make sense to do a sort of sticker run to earn some? If I can find the rest of the miles that I need for 10000 miles before March 1, and it costs less than $160 ai would it then be a worthwhile investment?

Thanks.
1. You could gamble and wait until just before check in to request. Then you can see what seating looks like in first.

2. Are you going to use them/were you going to buy them/are you going to requalify?

I fly sub 500 mile flight almost exclusively. I've got stickers that I don't know what to do with. I also am not exclusively booking AA anymore, so that lowers the options and I am not going to requalify.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 8:06 am

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Gold/Marriott Titanium
When does the 10,000 mile counter reset towards earning upgrades? I had ~9,500 going into 2016 and then flew another 850 miles last week so was expecting to see 4 upgrades deposited into my account. Thanks!
Old Jan 18, 2016, 8:55 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by TWA Guy
When does the 10,000 mile counter reset towards earning upgrades? I had ~9,500 going into 2016 and then flew another 850 miles last week so was expecting to see 4 upgrades deposited into my account. Thanks!
The counter resets on the 1st. of March. You may find that the "miles needed" shows a change several days before the coupon counter increases.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 9:08 am

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Gold/Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MADPhil
The counter resets on the 1st. of March. You may find that the "miles needed" shows a change several days before the coupon counter increases.
OK thanks, so i should see the 4 upgrades soon then right?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.