FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1948542-archive-newbie-lounge-2019-ask-newbie-aa-questions-here-flame-free.html)

02wrx Oct 28, 2019 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by gateH15 (Post 31665455)
You can spend 300 to upfare to PE just for one leg of the trip. Or you can simply call and upfare your economy ticket to a higher booking code. You don’t need to spend 600 if you only need 289 EQDs.
platinum is worth it because you can get MCE seats at booking.
You get lounge access when traveling domestic and connecting to same day international. Lounge access includes Flagship Lounge or admirals club if FL is not available. When you are traveling any other OneWorld airline you always have business lounge access.

Thanks that is useful information. To upfare to PE for one leg - can I do this online somewhere or do I need to call in? I can't seem to find it in my upcoming flights

JipsterSFO Oct 29, 2019 4:35 am

How to change return leg of a round trip ticket

I have flown the first leg of a round trip ticket. I need to change the return leg. It is a P class premium economey fare.
How should I proceed?
Thanks

JJeffrey Oct 29, 2019 5:15 am

Originally Posted by JipsterSFO (Post 31676910)
I have flown the first leg of a round trip ticket. I need to change the return leg. It is a P class premium economey fare.
How should I proceed?
Thanks

Just call AA.

Sherab Sherab Oct 29, 2019 12:42 pm

I search international awards on AA.com and involves partner awards, I type my detail, including number of passengers and coach availability comes up but when i click on the flight to book, they all say the following

"Choose a different flight or fare

We're sorry but at least one of the flights or fares you chose is no longer available".

That means it is not available for all 3 of us or it means PHANTOM award?

I searched many US cities and they all say the same thing.

Trying ORD-KUL from 3rd week of December and return in mid week of Jan.

I also can't find ORD-DXB on that same dates.

Mwenenzi Oct 29, 2019 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by Sherab Sherab (Post 31678609)
I search international awards on AA.com and involves partner awards, I type my detail, including number of passengers and coach availability comes up but when I click on the flight to book, they all say the following
"Choose a different flight or fare
We're sorry but at least one of the flights or fares you chose is no longer available".

That means it is not available for all 3 of us or it means PHANTOM award?
I searched many US cities and they all say the same thing.
Trying ORD-KUL from 3rd week of December and return in mid week of Jan.
I also can't find ORD-DXB on that same dates.

Trying, close in, for 3 long haul award seats very close to Christmas/New Year is a tad hopeful. What class of travel?

Have you researched what routes/airlines would get you to KUL?
KUL is not far from SIN

Great Circle Mapper

Question in UA forum on the same trip---> https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31678701-post6.html
And https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/info...ber-miles.html

swag Oct 30, 2019 10:16 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey (Post 31670331)
The close in booking fee is definitely waived for elite members. So as long as you were PLT when you booked the award it was correct to not be charged the fee.

Additionally, even if you were supposed to be charged the fee, it is VERY strange for AA to try and come after it after the fact. Never heard of such a thing, I'd guess it's some sort of a scam. What kind of "response" did they ask for?

To be 100% accurate, the fee is waived when the award is issued using miles from the elite member's account, even if a non-elite is the traveler. But if the elite member is the passenger but the miles are from a non-elite's account, then the fee would apply.

wiivile Oct 30, 2019 11:10 am

i had an AA business class award flight on hold for 12/26 and the availability disappeared, so now i have to decide whether to book it before the hold expires. AA's cancellation fees are too high for me to prospectively book it, but i know AA allows free dates changes on award travel as long as the origin and destination stay the same. if i booked it today, would i be able to change the date for free to any available date one year from ticket issuance (today thru 10/30/20)? or one year from the original date of travel 12/26? or what?

if relevant, i have AA gold until 12/30/19

argolfer Oct 30, 2019 11:13 am

My AA app on my phone only shows the connecting hub as the destination. So nearly every trip is “LIT -> DFW”. I have to guess which trip is which. Is there a setting somewhere for that?

gumercindo Oct 30, 2019 11:38 am

Hello:

I am in the DC area and want to redeem a TATL flight out of one of the major hubs (Dallas, MIA, JFK). The routings starting from the DC area aren't giving me much options compared to starting the routings in one of my preferred hubs. What's the best way to get the positioning flight to work so that my outbound flight is either from MIA, JFK or Dallas? To do a separate positioning booking? TIA

Also, LHR only pops up for sAAver fares for J class. Any tricks to avoid LHR for summer routings from east coast to western europe?

guv1976 Oct 30, 2019 11:56 am

Originally Posted by gumercindo (Post 31682613)
Hello:

I am in the DC area and want to redeem a TATL flight out of one of the major hubs (Dallas, MIA, JFK). The routings starting from the DC area aren't giving me much options compared to starting the routings in one of my preferred hubs. What's the best way to get the positioning flight to work so that my outbound flight is either from MIA, JFK or Dallas? To do a separate positioning booking? TIA

Also, LHR only pops up for sAAver fares for J class. Any tricks to avoid LHR for summer routings from east coast to western europe?

Have you searched availability out of PHL instead? That's a relatively short drive (or train or bus ride) from D.C.

You can also check the Wikipedia page for each airport to see what European cities AA offers nonstop service to. Google search: "XXX airport wiki", where you replace "XXX" with "PHL", "JFK", "CLT", etc.

Mwenenzi Oct 30, 2019 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by gumercindo (Post 31682613)

Good luck with a TATL award. Married segments are making that difficult for many people. Why from DFW, MIA or JFK?

Originally Posted by guv1976 (Post 31682695)
You can also check the Wikipedia page for each airport to see what European cities AA offers nonstop service to. Google search: "XXX airport wiki", where you replace "XXX" with "PHL", "JFK", "CLT", etc.

An FT thread on that topic:-->AA to Europe---> Where exactly does AA fly to Europe? Which routes have good business seats?

MADPhil Oct 30, 2019 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by wiivile (Post 31682487)
i had an AA business class award flight on hold for 12/26 and the availability disappeared, so now i have to decide whether to book it before the hold expires. AA's cancellation fees are too high for me to prospectively book it, but i know AA allows free dates changes on award travel as long as the origin and destination stay the same. if i booked it today, would i be able to change the date for free to any available date one year from ticket issuance (today thru 10/30/20)? or one year from the original date of travel 12/26? or what?

As long as the same type of award is available between the same origin and destination then you can make as many changes as you need to. You can also cancel without a new date and keep the ticket alive up to the one year date. The redeposit fee is $150 and there is no cancellation fee.

JJeffrey Oct 30, 2019 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by wiivile (Post 31682487)

For the one year clock, it's the date of issue that matters.

gumercindo Oct 30, 2019 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi (Post 31682844)
Good luck with a TATL award. Married segments are making that difficult for many people. Why from DFW, MIA or JFK?

An FT thread on that topic:-->AA to Europe---> Where exactly does AA fly to Europe? Which routes have good business seats?

Prefer those airports for metal and lounge access, but I suppose PHL should be up on that list as well. Finding plenty of good PHL-TATL city for 30k OW directs for 30k sAAver but 65k from DC area on that same flight (DC-PHL-TATL city). Is this really a married segment issue? After all, I'm not looking to remove a leg, I'm looking to add a leg making it a multi city Or, am I completely off based here?.

JJeffrey Oct 30, 2019 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by gumercindo (Post 31682914)
Prefer those airports for metal and lounge access, but I suppose PHL should be up on that list as well. Finding plenty of good PHL-TATL city for 30k OW directs for 30k sAAver but 65k from DC area on that same flight (DC-PHL-TATL city). Is this really a married segment issue? After all, I'm not looking to remove a leg, I'm looking to add a leg making it a multi city Or, am I completely off based here?.

AA plays lots of games when it comes to award availability, especially to Europe, so there can be lots of things going on here.

In your example above, is the DC-PHL segment available as a sAAver as a standalone segment? If yes, then this is textbook AA married segment nonsense. DC-PHL is available by itself, PHL-Europe is available by itself, but DC-PHL-Europe is not available together. It can be maddening.