FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1948542-archive-newbie-lounge-2019-ask-newbie-aa-questions-here-flame-free.html)

gateH15 Oct 11, 2019 10:37 am

Originally Posted by ainokea (Post 31617348)
gateH15 and ISTFlyer , thank you for the information!

I was actually unaware of the security Fast Track benefit for booking PE. Is that, perhaps, the same thing as buying a fast track security voucher at FCO/Fiumicino?

I haven't flown into Rome in decades; I know what security lines were like in the 90s; I am scared to imagine what they are like nowadays.

I’m not sure if they sell FastTrack vouchers in FCO but last time I flew out of there I used FastTrack due to status. Your boarding pass will say Priority so I believe you will be able to use it as well.

Stocktc1 Oct 11, 2019 2:59 pm

I know JAL releases award seats right before the flight. But I know most people would fly JAL over AA with awards. Right now, I am looking at AA and not a single one for the month of January.

happyvoid Oct 11, 2019 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey (Post 31585328)
Yep, exactly as you said. Book economy now, if business or first opens up later, just call AA and pay the additional miles but no fee.

I was wondering since I am booking Friday which is hard for award seats if I change days would it be an issue

JJeffrey Oct 11, 2019 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by happyvoid (Post 31618710)
I was wondering since I am booking Friday which is hard for award seats if I change days would it be an issue

What do you mean an issue? Date and time changes, in addition to changing to a higher class of service, are free with AA awards regardless of whether you are traveling on a Friday or a Monday or a Wednesday....

rasmusk Oct 11, 2019 6:25 pm

Do American Airlines offer upgrades for cash during online check in? Do they sent out any upgrade offers before check in opens?

abeflying Oct 11, 2019 8:22 pm

So, this is only my 3rd time booking a JAL flight through the phone, but something weird happened. I got to the part where I needed to give him my frequent flyer number and he asked 1. full name 2. full address 3. How do I earn my points? He then asked if I earned them through buying flights, which I obviously said yes. Has anyone had that question asked before? I got slightly weirded out since I'm also on a 7-10 day waiting for approval on my 9th or 10th AA card.

happyvoid Oct 12, 2019 1:27 am

Why not just say credit card you did nothing wrong
they can check where u get points from. Why even lie

abeflying Oct 12, 2019 9:32 am

Originally Posted by happyvoid (Post 31619738)
Why not just say credit card you did nothing wrong
they can check where u get points from. Why even lie

I had actually said my credit card at first, but as soon as I said it, he then asked did I get them through flights as if that was the answer he was looking for, so I then said yes since it moved the conversation along

guv1976 Oct 12, 2019 10:31 am

Originally Posted by abeflying (Post 31619261)
So, this is only my 3rd time booking a JAL flight through the phone, but something weird happened. I got to the part where I needed to give him my frequent flyer number and he asked 1. full name 2. full address 3. How do I earn my points? He then asked if I earned them through buying flights, which I obviously said yes. Has anyone had that question asked before? I got slightly weirded out since I'm also on a 7-10 day waiting for approval on my 9th or 10th AA card.

It's usually best to book via aa.com when you can: you avoid the phone-booking fee, and the risk that an agent will screw something up.

Both CX and JL award flights are now bookable at aa.com.

goldmarch Oct 15, 2019 8:43 am

I am trying to book two trips to Europe for the fall. I am hoping to use OW, so that I can re-qualify for AA status this year. I have noticed that some itineraries sold by BA include flight segments operated by Aer Lingus. Am I correct to assume that I can't credit the Aer Lingus flights to AA, even if I purchase them through BA? Any advice would be appreciated.

gateH15 Oct 15, 2019 8:45 am

Originally Posted by goldmarch (Post 31630447)
I am trying to book two trips to Europe for the fall. I am hoping to use OW, so that I can re-qualify for AA status this year. I have noticed that some itineraries sold by BA include flight segments operated by Aer Lingus. Am I correct to assume that I can't credit the Aer Lingus flights to AA, even if I purchase them through BA? Any advice would be appreciated.

Flight has to be operated and marketed by Oneworld. Aer Lingus is not part of Oneworld and you will not earn anything on it.

JDiver Oct 15, 2019 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by goldmarch (Post 31630447)

Generally, to earn AA credit, a flight must be marketed and operated by one world carriers. Though there are exceptions for flights marketed by Japan Airlines and Qantas, there are not for BA.

pdeepak Oct 15, 2019 1:30 pm

Question I've never had to think about before:

Do earned miles get calculated based on status at time of booking or at time of flight? Booked an expensive trip to India when fares were lower (still plenty high!) a while back but recently upped back into plat.

thanks!

AAExecPlatFlier Oct 15, 2019 2:28 pm

When u fly.

Originally Posted by pdeepak (Post 31631655)
Question I've never had to think about before:

Do earned miles get calculated based on status at time of booking or at time of flight? Booked an expensive trip to India when fares were lower (still plenty high!) a while back but recently upped back into plat.

thanks!

tensixmom Oct 16, 2019 6:19 am

Hi,
I have been reading in the other thread about the boarding groups, so I went to the AA website to look them up. My question is, what are groups 6 and 7? There is no explanation listed for them. I suppose I will be in group 5 simply because I have a Citi Business Card With A Really Long Name.

Also, I have read that on a lot of flights, even though specific seats were chosen at booking, the airlines are known to move people around regularly. Do you find this to be the case often? I just booked a short hop PHX>SNA with a super "cheap" reward ticket (something like 7500 miles each way)- does this change the chances of my getting moved? I did book a seat next to my husband and while it won't kill us to sit apart on a short hop, I would be sort of irritated if we got separated.

Thank you!