FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1948542-archive-newbie-lounge-2019-ask-newbie-aa-questions-here-flame-free.html)

JJeffrey Oct 16, 2019 7:12 am

Originally Posted by tensixmom (Post 31633891)
Also, I have read that on a lot of flights, even though specific seats were chosen at booking, the airlines are known to move people around regularly. Do you find this to be the case often? I just booked a short hop PHX>SNA with a super "cheap" reward ticket (something like 7500 miles each way)- does this change the chances of my getting moved? I did book a seat next to my husband and while it won't kill us to sit apart on a short hop, I would be sort of irritated if we got separated.

No, AA does not just move seats around "regularly" or anything like that. Barring some type of rare operational reason (equipment change, air marshal, etc.) you are not going to lose your seat. Being on an award ticket has no bearing on this.

jerseytom Oct 16, 2019 7:13 am

Also, I have read that on a lot of flights, even though specific seats were chosen at booking, the airlines are known to move people around regularly.

I'm curious - where did you read this? Can't say I've had that happen.

With regard to boarding groups I don't know how they come up with specifics for 6-8 but I feel like by that point it's just a mob of people getting on in the main cabin anyway.

gateH15 Oct 16, 2019 7:17 am

Hi,
I have been reading in the other thread about the boarding groups, so I went to the AA website to look them up. My question is, what are groups 6 and 7? There is no explanation listed for them. I suppose I will be in group 5 simply because I have a Citi Business Card With A Really Long Name.

Also, I have read that on a lot of flights, even though specific seats were chosen at booking, the airlines are known to move people around regularly. Do you find this to be the case often? I just booked a short hop PHX>SNA with a super "cheap" reward ticket (something like 7500 miles each way)- does this change the chances of my getting moved? I did book a seat next to my husband and while it won't kill us to sit apart on a short hop, I would be sort of irritated if we got separated.

Thank you!

Group 6 - online check in
Group 7 - check in at the kiosk
Group 8 - check in with an agent

tensixmom Oct 16, 2019 8:06 am

Thank you! Sorry, I don't know how to multi quote in this forum.

Apparently I don't know how to quote at all. This was directed at JJeffrey

tensixmom Oct 16, 2019 8:07 am

Originally Posted by jerseytom (Post 31634029)
I'm curious - where did you read this? Can't say I've had that happen.

With regard to boarding groups I don't know how they come up with specifics for 6-8 but I feel like by that point it's just a mob of people getting on in the main cabin anyway.

I read it on a Disney-centric board. I assumed the people talking about it were people who flew on a regular basis (I do not), and my own recent experience is pretty much limited to Southwest and I know how their seating works.

Thank you!

tensixmom Oct 16, 2019 8:08 am

Originally Posted by gateH15 (Post 31634041)
Group 6 - online check in
Group 7 - check in at the kiosk
Group 8 - check in with an agent

Thank you!

JDiver Oct 16, 2019 9:04 am

1 Attachment(s)
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...es-2018-a.html

puchalskir Oct 16, 2019 11:31 am

I booked a flight for 2 people using the Barclays $99 certificate. The flight is tonight and I need to cancel. if I just cancel online, will I get a residual amount for use in a evoucher or do I have to call?

pdeepak Oct 16, 2019 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by AAExecPlatFlier (Post 31631885)
When u fly.

thanks!

Shadowfactor Oct 16, 2019 5:25 pm

Can AA Platinum Pro's do a Same Day Confirmed change or even Standby for award tickets.

There's award space BGI-MIA-CLT-CMH with the MIA-CLT and CLT-CMH flights having a 5 hour layover. There's 2 flights in between those that don't have sAAver space but If I could SDC/Standby I would book.

RAD_PDX Oct 16, 2019 7:16 pm

Strange question:

I booked ORD-DFW, operated by AA, through AS using AS miles. The flight is scheduled to depart at 6:00 am. I am flying F so checked bags are free. If I book a separate flight that arrives into ORD less than 12 hours before that flight departs, is there a way to link the reservation and make it one, so that I can enjoy the benefits of F (free checked bags) on the flight to ORD?

Thanks!

gateH15 Oct 16, 2019 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by RAD_PDX (Post 31636436)
Strange question:

I booked ORD-DFW, operated by AA, through AS using AS miles. The flight is scheduled to depart at 6:00 am. I am flying F so checked bags are free. If I book a separate flight that arrives into ORD less than 12 hours before that flight departs, is there a way to link the reservation and make it one, so that I can enjoy the benefits of F (free checked bags) on the flight to ORD?

Thanks!

There is no way to combine 2 PNRs into 1.

goldmarch Oct 17, 2019 7:41 am

Sorry for the perhaps obvious question. How can I see the terms (change fee/cancelation terms, etc.) on AA.com before I buy the ticket? Thanks in advance for any advice.

JJeffrey Oct 17, 2019 8:01 am

Originally Posted by goldmarch (Post 31637979)
Sorry for the perhaps obvious question. How can I see the terms (change fee/cancelation terms, etc.) on AA.com before I buy the ticket? Thanks in advance for any advice.

When you're clicking through to buy a ticket at aa.com, on the very last page before you click 'Pay Now' there is a link just above for "Detailed Fare Rules"...

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...b8518d475a.jpg

MADPhil Oct 17, 2019 9:11 am

Originally Posted by goldmarch (Post 31637979)

It's not easy to get the rules after you have purchased but if you put the itinerary on hold there will be a link in the email confirmation which is good as long as the record locator is valid. You never know if you may need to review them so I usually download them at time of purchase.