FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1948542-archive-newbie-lounge-2019-ask-newbie-aa-questions-here-flame-free.html)

mkswoerner Oct 17, 19 9:15 am

Hey Guys and Gals!

Absolute Beginners Question(s), as I am hardly an expert when it comes to any type of loyalty program.

I recently purchased Basic Economy Tickets on AA from JFK to Barcelona, flying out in late November, with the flight being operated by British Airways on a 747 (woohoo!). Shortly after making this purchase, I was surprised to find an E-mail in my inbox from AA, offering me a trial of Platinum Pro for the remainder of 2019. Of course I accepted, it felt almost like Christmas came early.

Again, as I have little knowledge on the Benefits of this membership, I have a couple of Questions:

1. I understand that Platinum Pro on AA should also allow me to check-in via the premium check-in counters, correct?

2. I also understand that I shouldn't expect any kind of special treatment on the flight itself, as I purchased a Basic Economy Ticket.

3. Most importantly, would I (and my Fiancee) have access to the British Airways Lounge in Terminal 7 at JFK, and if needed, at Heathrow during our layover?

4. Are there any other cool benefits I could grab with the Platinum Prop membership?

Thanks all!

JJeffrey Oct 17, 19 9:55 am

Originally Posted by mkswoerner (Post 31638314)
Hey Guys and Gals!

Absolute Beginners Question(s), as I am hardly an expert when it comes to any type of loyalty program.

I recently purchased Basic Economy Tickets on AA from JFK to Barcelona, flying out in late November, with the flight being operated by British Airways on a 747 (woohoo!). Shortly after making this purchase, I was surprised to find an E-mail in my inbox from AA, offering me a trial of Platinum Pro for the remainder of 2019. Of course I accepted, it felt almost like Christmas came early.

Again, as I have little knowledge on the Benefits of this membership, I have a couple of Questions:

1. I understand that Platinum Pro on AA should also allow me to check-in via the premium check-in counters, correct?

2. I also understand that I shouldn't expect any kind of special treatment on the flight itself, as I purchased a Basic Economy Ticket.

3. Most importantly, would I (and my Fiancee) have access to the British Airways Lounge in Terminal 7 at JFK, and if needed, at Heathrow during our layover?

4. Are there any other cool benefits I could grab with the Platinum Prop membership?

Thanks all!

1. Yep, you can use business class check-in.
2. Yep, nothing special onboard.
3. Yep, you can use any of the oneworld business lounges at JFK/LHR before your flights.
4. Traveling BA JFK-LHR-BCN in basic econ, the business class check-in, extra baggage allowance, and for sure lounge access are the biggest perks.

Take a read through the below thread for more details...

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...er-thread.html

LSunbury Oct 17, 19 10:12 am

Probably know the answer to this, but worth a try!

LHR-ORD-SEA rtn AA ticket in a couple of weeks. PE on the long haul and Y to and from Seattle. Crediting to my BA account (not negotiable)

I would like to upgrade the Seattle legs and have loads of 500 mile vouchers in my AA account. OW Emerald with BA, no status on AA.

Any method of upgrading? Any hope?

scubadu Oct 17, 19 10:23 am

Originally Posted by LSunbury (Post 31638507)

LHR-ORD-SEA rtn AA ticket in a couple of weeks. PE on the long haul and Y to and from Seattle. Crediting to my BA account (not negotiable)

I would like to upgrade the Seattle legs and have loads of 500 mile vouchers in my AA account. OW Emerald with BA, no status on AA.

Given the constraints you've outlined, nope. I mean an Op-Up could theoretically occur, but unlikely on that route and an Op-Up is not a plan/strategy, it's just hope.

Furthermore, without any AA status, you aren't even eligible to request segment upgrades, even if you have them in your AAdvantage account. Additionally, even if you could, at that point you would have to credit that segment to AA not BA, which you've stated is "not negotiable."

So, the short answer is nope, I'd plan to sit in Y on those segments.

Regards

LSunbury Oct 17, 19 10:28 am

Thanks for confirming my expectations!

JDiver Oct 17, 19 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by LSunbury (Post 31638507)

If (large if) they offer load factor based upgrades at the counter it is theoretically possible you could get a paid upgrade. I’d not count on it, depending on loads, day of week, etc.

Unfortunately, to use those e500 “stickers” (they were once stickers attached to your ticket) you’d have to have status on AA.

Shadowfactor Oct 17, 19 12:18 pm

Can AA Platinum Pro's do a Same Day Confirmed change or even Standby for award tickets.

There's award space BGI-MIA-CLT-CMH with the MIA-CLT and CLT-CMH flights having a 5 hour layover. There's 2 flights in between those that don't have sAAver space but If I could SDC/Standby I would book.

MathMusic Oct 17, 19 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by Shadowfactor (Post 31639017)
Can AA Platinum Pro's do a Same Day Confirmed change or even Standby for award tickets.

There's award space BGI-MIA-CLT-CMH with the MIA-CLT and CLT-CMH flights having a 5 hour layover. There's 2 flights in between those that don't have sAAver space but If I could SDC/Standby I would book.

Definitely at least standby. Also if saver space ever opened up on desired flights you can switch or SDFC.

JDiver Oct 17, 19 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by Shadowfactor (Post 31639017)

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...c-standby.html

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...er-thread.html

goldmarch Oct 18, 19 6:56 am

Sorry if I am in the wrong forum, but I couldn't find this elsewhere. I am looking at an Expedia vacation package to Europe (mixed cabin classes), with all the flight segments on AA or BA. It shows the business legs as (I) and the shorter coach legs as (Y). Will I earn EQMs in the normal way (2EQM/mi for I and 1EQM/mi for Y)? If so, I will book this trip as it would be enough for me to re-qualify for EXP. I know that the EQDs are calculated differently, but I already have enough of those. Would I be also able to waitlist for an upgrade on the domestic coach legs (ORD-PHL)?

gateH15 Oct 18, 19 8:22 am

Originally Posted by goldmarch (Post 31641532)
Sorry if I am in the wrong forum, but I couldn't find this elsewhere. I am looking at an Expedia vacation package to Europe (mixed cabin classes), with all the flight segments on AA or BA. It shows the business legs as (I) and the shorter coach legs as (Y). Will I earn EQMs in the normal way (2EQM/mi for I and 1EQM/mi for Y)? If so, I will book this trip as it would be enough for me to re-qualify for EXP. I know that the EQDs are calculated differently, but I already have enough of those. Would I be also able to waitlist for an upgrade on the domestic coach legs (ORD-PHL)?

You will earn 2 EQM/mi for J legs and 1 EQM/mi for Y legs. You can upgrade on ORD-PHL only if it’s codes as AA flight.

Andrew Wang Oct 22, 19 11:38 pm

Gold member booking Basic Economy

Haven’t been following for a while. Do you get seat selection? Is that upgrade eligible?

gateH15 Oct 22, 19 11:39 pm

Originally Posted by Andrew Wang (Post 31657406)
Haven’t been following for a while. Do you get seat selection? Is that upgrade eligible?

No and no

AAdamE Oct 23, 19 8:58 am

Is there a way to see how many more EQM you need for the next batch of 500 mi upgrades? I recall being able to easily see this in the app, but I can't see it anywhere.

gateH15 Oct 23, 19 9:06 am

Originally Posted by AAdamE (Post 31658549)
Is there a way to see how many more EQM you need for the next batch of 500 mi upgrades? I recall being able to easily see this in the app, but I can't see it anywhere.

When you launch the aa app, tap on the top bar that had your name and status on it. After that tap on Wallet and you will see your progress to the next 4 500 miles stickers