FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1948542-archive-newbie-lounge-2019-ask-newbie-aa-questions-here-flame-free.html)

JJeffrey Nov 4, 19 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by jerseytom (Post 31701486)
I'm sure there may be a thread specific to this topic, but posting here seems easy enough rather than dig it up.

So I get that for the miles+copay upgrade thing, to upgrade to business there needs to be available "C" inventory. If there's none available this instant, pretty much all ya do is set an EF alert and... sit back and wait? Any reason to or not to call AA and do a waitlist or something (if such a thing even exists)?

Originally Posted by gateH15 (Post 31701490)
I donít really see a reason not to call and waitlist. Letís say when C space opens up you are away from your phone and by the time you call in that C space is gone.

And many, many times you will clear without receiving an EF alert. Happened to me just last week.

cheaptom Nov 4, 19 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by gateH15 (Post 31698497)
if AA will discontinue JFK-SAN it would be good for you. They will rebook you in SAN-LAX-LHR or on any other routing on AA metal and you can enjoy J in 777-300 from LAX all the way to LHR. and your BA fuel surcharge will be refunded. So itís not a bad thing if cancellation will happen

This is true. You often get a much better itinerary after they cancel/change your original flight. But first, they'll re-schedule you on their own, and the new itinerary won't be ideal. Be prepared to call and tell them the new itinerary doesn't work for you. Can I have SAN-LAX-LHR instead? They may say yes and not charge you any extra. If they say no, then HUCA.

Also...be aware of the semantics involved if they "cancel" your flight vs. "re-scheduling" it. A few years ago I had a TATL flight cancelled and they auto-booked me on a different flight the day before. I called to say I don't accept the date change, and it began a long conversation, with AA phone agent telling me the flight wasn't "cancelled," just "re-scheduled" to leave one day sooner. Semantics. She wouldn't budge.

I HUCA'ed and got much better flights.

TrojanDomer Nov 4, 19 5:12 pm

Assuming no status for next year, any reason to book a mixed-class as a round trip vs. separate one way award flights for USA to CUN?
Outbound will be direct Economy/Y and return in U (Business CUN-PHL and "First" for PHL --> home); all AA metal.
I am trying to make sense of baggage allowance and whether outbound class has impact to return leg
Thought Roundtrip was ok, but this noted scared me
"You have a mix of fares. The rule of the most restrictive fare will apply."

srikp Nov 4, 19 8:13 pm

Couple of noob questions

Well more than a couple:

1. This year I traveled a fair bit and inching close to EXP - need another 5K worth of EQD but with the Red Aviator 3K to be awarded anytime now and at least 6 trips between now and Dec, I am hoping I can make it. My question is related:

- my partner and I are traveling to India next year and I booked her under a separate reservation as mine is paid for by work and hers is a personal expense. How do I link our two reservations together so that she gets the perks of my status?

2. Would you recommend booking the Basic Economy tickets and make use of the status for free check-in baggage or do you think the main cabin upgrade (off course all things considered) is the best bang for the buck?

Question on my rights when flight re-routed/delayed/missed connection?

3. I traveled in May this year when my flight from DFW-LHR had an emergency on board (patient suffered a Heart Attack) and we had to fly to Ottawa and hence missed my connection in LHR. I was re-routed to my final destination HYD via DEL instead of flying direct. The DEL-HYD connection was on Air India. My baggage allowance based on my status was not honored by AI and I had to pay $400 worth of excess baggage. AA declined to pay and even BBB said it is their prerogative. Anyone has any advise if something like this happens in future.

Any other tips for a first time EXP (well I have never been more than a GOLD). So suggestions welcome.

FullTimeFlyer Nov 5, 19 6:30 am

Originally Posted by cheaptom (Post 31701518)
This is true. You often get a much better itinerary after they cancel/change your original flight. But first, they'll re-schedule you on their own, and the new itinerary won't be ideal. Be prepared to call and tell them the new itinerary doesn't work for you. Can I have SAN-LAX-LHR instead? They may say yes and not charge you any extra. If they say no, then HUCA.

Also...be aware of the semantics involved if they "cancel" your flight vs. "re-scheduling" it. A few years ago I had a TATL flight cancelled and they auto-booked me on a different flight the day before. I called to say I don't accept the date change, and it began a long conversation, with AA phone agent telling me the flight wasn't "cancelled," just "re-scheduled" to leave one day sooner. Semantics. She wouldn't budge.

I HUCA'ed and got much better flights.

Thanks to you too, cheaptom. Yes, this concept at least (you only get if you ask) I know well from my many reward flights with UA. It comes, I guess, with the booking way in advance for intl rewards as versus regular, bread-and-butter biz flights. I guess I was thrown a little by the AA-BA part (I'm at a reward level much lower than AA itself would offer using the BA "copay," so I wasn't sure how it would work. But I guess the idea is the same - it's up to the ticketing airline, for the most part, to figure it out if they cancel you!

Thanks again, both. ^

FTF

Morkai Nov 5, 19 6:52 am

The goal is ORD-NRT with 2 seats in F in Nov of next year. What is my absolute best way to nab these seats? I have been checking every morning and it seems that there is limited availability, usually nothing 331 days out.

From what I have read, it seems like I should call AA (or the Australian AA line?) around.... midnight exactly 331 days before my trip? Is this correct? Or is there a better way? Thanks for any tips and advice.

cblaisd Nov 5, 19 7:29 am

Do MCE seats ever drop in price? I have a AA-AS trip in December whose first leg is 300 miles on a CR7 and the website wants $69 to change to an MCE seat.

JJeffrey Nov 5, 19 10:33 am

Originally Posted by TrojanDomer (Post 31701535)
Assuming no status for next year, any reason to book a mixed-class as a round trip vs. separate one way award flights for USA to CUN?
Outbound will be direct Economy/Y and return in U (Business CUN-PHL and "First" for PHL --> home); all AA metal.
I am trying to make sense of baggage allowance and whether outbound class has impact to return leg
Thought Roundtrip was ok, but this noted scared me
"You have a mix of fares. The rule of the most restrictive fare will apply."

For award flights, the only real benefit of booking a single roundtrip PNR is that if you need to cancel, you would only pay the single redeposit fee, as opposed to $150 + $25 if you have 2 PNRs.

For baggage, you will get the economy allowance on the way to CUN and business allowance on the way back. The fact that you're in business on the return portion has no bearing on your outbound economy baggage allowance.

That "you have a mix of fares" stuff is just standard aa.com language that appears whenever you book different classes of service on a single PNR.

JJeffrey Nov 5, 19 10:41 am

Originally Posted by Morkai (Post 31703276)
The goal is ORD-NRT with 2 seats in F in Nov of next year. What is my absolute best way to nab these seats? I have been checking every morning and it seems that there is limited availability, usually nothing 331 days out.

From what I have read, it seems like I should call AA (or the Australian AA line?) around.... midnight exactly 331 days before my trip? Is this correct? Or is there a better way? Thanks for any tips and advice.

There is no magic formula for grabbing 2 F seats on JL. You just need to be flexible, not all space is released right at 331 days. Book whatever you can find as space opens up, which most likely means 1 F and 1 J, then just be patient and hope to change the J to F as the flight gets closer.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...l#post31701923

JJeffrey Nov 5, 19 10:50 am

Originally Posted by cblaisd (Post 31703401)
Do MCE seats ever drop in price? I have a AA-AS trip in December whose first leg is 300 miles on a CR7 and the website wants $69 to change to an MCE seat.

Haven't paid for MCE in years so can't comment on the chance of the price dropping. However even if the price were to drop to $10 I would probably never pay for MCE on a 300 mile CR7 flight.

TrojanDomer Nov 5, 19 11:17 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey (Post 31704084)
For award flights, the only real benefit of booking a single roundtrip PNR is that if you need to cancel, you would only pay the single redeposit fee, as opposed to $150 + $25 if you have 2 PNRs.

For baggage, you will get the economy allowance on the way to CUN and business allowance on the way back. The fact that you're in business on the return portion has no bearing on your outbound economy baggage allowance.

That "you have a mix of fares" stuff is just standard aa.com language that appears whenever you book different classes of service on a single PNR.

perfect, makes sense will likely leave as a roundtrip since with 4 tickets, less items to keep track of the better

cblaisd Nov 5, 19 11:37 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey (Post 31704155)
Haven't paid for MCE in years so can't comment on the chance of the price dropping. However even if the price were to drop to $10 I would probably never pay for MCE on a 300 mile CR7 flight.

Understood, but with knee issues, the extra leg room would be helpful (and getting off of the plane sooner!)

Morkai Nov 6, 19 8:23 am

I know award availability shows up 331 days out, but what specific time do AA partner awards go live on website? I have heard everything from midnight to 2:30 AM to 7:00 AM. Looking for JAL specifically

Is it better to call at this time or check website?

Tommys888 Nov 6, 19 12:40 pm

Sitting now on 13000 EQD and 92000 EQM, I do not know whether I shall do a mileage run with BA or CX. I have no forecast on next year travel pattern as of now since I usually work on consulting project - no projects no travel, with projects, crazy travel. Tough decision to make! Any advice welcome!

nexusCFX Nov 6, 19 1:46 pm

Is there an easy way to get a small number of miles? I'm going to need 167 miles for an award in about a month. If I can avoid sending 1000 Marriott points I'd prefer to do so.