FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1948542-archive-newbie-lounge-2019-ask-newbie-aa-questions-here-flame-free.html)

laxsnaogg Oct 23, 19 11:11 am

Completely new here...

I've flown 13k base miles (27k EQM) this year, but have not received any 500 mile upgrades. Is this because I didn't reach gold until after I earned them with my last trip?

gateH15 Oct 23, 19 11:13 am

Originally Posted by laxsnaogg (Post 31658980)
Completely new here...

I've flown 13k base miles (27k EQM) this year, but have not received any 500 mile upgrades. Is this because I didn't reach gold until after I earned them with my last trip?

You only start earning upgrade stickers after you reach Gold for every 12.5k miles flown

JDiver Oct 23, 19 11:14 am

Originally Posted by laxsnaogg (Post 31658980)
Completely new here...

They canít be earned until Elite status has been achieved. Perhaps thatís the reason?

CO FF Oct 23, 19 12:02 pm

I'm a lifetime PLT - but have flown AA all of 2x in the last 2 years. But now I'm back for an LAX-OMA nonstop...and my upgrade cleared at 48 hours.

Shouldn't I be able to select a meal? The flight is 1,330 miles - 3h5m - at 9:50am.

guv1976 Oct 23, 19 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by CO FF (Post 31659181)
I'm a lifetime PLT - but have flown AA all of 2x in the last 2 years. But now I'm back for an LAX-OMA nonstop...and my upgrade cleared at 48 hours.

Shouldn't I be able to select a meal? The flight is 1,330 miles - 3h5m - at 9:50am.

Aircraft type?

CO FF Oct 23, 19 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976 (Post 31659186)
Aircraft type?

E175

MathMusic Oct 23, 19 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by CO FF (Post 31659225)
E175

If that plane is sitting in an out station overnight then it might have only a shelf stable meal option, think cereal and a banana or whatnot. It may not have a catered meal choice. I've seen that in early morning flights in Buffalo.

EDIT: LAX definately should have catering available. I misread.

peaches070 Oct 23, 19 4:11 pm

Hi all, when is the last date for flights to count towards status?

I have a roundtrip planned from Dec 24 to Jan 3. By Dec 31st, I'll be 2 segments short of Platinum, which I will make on my return trip on Jan 3. Would those two segments count towards my status since the trip started in 2019? Or do I need to make a segment run before the year is up?

flyingeph12 Oct 23, 19 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by peaches070 (Post 31660035)

I have a roundtrip planned from Dec 24 to Jan 3. By Dec 31st, I'll be 2 segments short of Platinum, which I will make on my return trip on Jan 3. Would those two segments count towards my status since the trip started in 2019? Or do I need to make a segment run before the year is up?

Your fights on Jan 3 won't count. The flight has to at least depart on Dec 31.

flyingeph12 Oct 23, 19 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by CO FF (Post 31659181)

I don't believe I've ever had the option of selecting a meal on an AA Eagle flight beforehand. The meal is usually a cold meal, e.g., salad or continental breakfast. The E175s don't have ovens.

JDiver Oct 23, 19 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by peaches070 (Post 31660035)

You earn the day you actually board and fly. For status next year, you must earn by or on 31 December 2019.

Amlb Oct 25, 19 7:30 am

Travelling MIA to BZE. in January in business/First and I see the planes are now both 737/800, presumably after the refits?
What are the first row seats like or is the bulkhead an issue?
There are 4 rows at present
I currently have lots of choice!

Thanks

02wrx Oct 25, 19 9:51 am

Platinum - lounge access

I'll be about $289 EQDs away from platinum by the end of the year's travel. Trying to weigh out an extra ~$600 extra spend to get on PE for one of these trips vs. living with Gold status.

Just wondering, does platinum provide access to all AA lounges even when travelling domestic? The description on AA site seems to say only if you are travelling international. However, I think a platinum member has gotten me into Admirals Club? Or is lounge access a benefit of OW Sapphire?

TIA

MADPhil Oct 25, 19 9:55 am

Originally Posted by 02wrx (Post 31665447)
Just wondering, does platinum provide access to all AA lounges even when travelling domestic? The description on AA site seems to say only if you are travelling international. However, I think a platinum member has gotten me into Admirals Club? Or is lounge access a benefit of OW Sapphire?

AA PLT does not get you into lounges on domestic itineraries. OW Sapphire from others does.

gateH15 Oct 25, 19 9:57 am

Originally Posted by 02wrx (Post 31665447)
I'll be about $289 EQDs away from platinum by the end of the year's travel. Trying to weigh out an extra ~$600 extra spend to get on PE for one of these trips vs. living with Gold status.

TIA

You can spend 300 to upfare to PE just for one leg of the trip. Or you can simply call and upfare your economy ticket to a higher booking code. You donít need to spend 600 if you only need 289 EQDs.
platinum is worth it because you can get MCE seats at booking.
You get lounge access when traveling domestic and connecting to same day international. Lounge access includes Flagship Lounge or admirals club if FL is not available. When you are traveling any other OneWorld airline you always have business lounge access.