Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Best Business Seat 777-200 “777” C37 Zodiac (Aft & Fwd) Business

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 17, 2015, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WindowSeatFlyer
NOTE: Discussion here is for the Boeing 777-200ERs refitted with the Zodiac "Concept D" Business Suite (forward and aft facing seats) only.
See the (unofficial) American Fleet Site list for configuration by registration numbers here.

Forward facing seats are overlooked by rear facing occupants across the aisle
Forward facing seats have one armrest (aisle side of seat)
Rear facing seats do not have armrests leading to a "bathtub" effect
Rear facing seats are preferred by many fliers for greater shoulder space
Forward facing seats require use of a shoulder strap in addition to the seat lap belt during takeoff and landing operations

Seat 1A is blocked for pilot rest on flights > 8 hours.
Seats 7A and 7L have restricted views (window blank)
Seats 1A, 1D, 1H, 7A, 7L, 10A, and 10L are not coupled to neighbouring seats and are reported to be less susceptible to "rocking" and "knocking"
Seats 10D and 10H are overlooked by occupants in 13B and 13J respectively.
Seats 5A and 6L are overlooked by galley occupants
Seats 10A and 10L are close to Premium Economy bassinets

Cabin overhead storage bins are capacious and when closed give the aircraft a more open, spacious feel.

In-suite storage is minimal, consisting of a niche with "fence" capable of holding a mobile phone connected to one of the two USB ports and a small area below seat level capable of holding a water bottle and small item. (two 110V AC with a "universal" plug socket is also provided.)

The area under the footrest (too small to be called an ottoman) might be able to store a purse or small item.

General fit and finish has been described as fair at best, with some gaps, misfits, etc.

IFE is AVOD and operates from a hand control. The spacious screen is hinged and can not be tilted vertically.

WiFi is Panasonic satellite international WiFi

Bang & Olufsen noise reducing headsets are provided in Business Class; these are retrieved by crew about an hour prior to landing.

A self-service snack bar is set up in the galley for Business class.

Lavatories seem more open and spacious, and offer higher volume sink basins.

Related threads
Aircraft guide: Which 777-200ER / 772 / 777? (As of 11 Dec 2018)
772 Refitted 777-200ER B/E Aerospace Super Diamond Business Seat / Seats
Best 772 Zodiac J Refitted 777-200ER MCE and Economy / Coach Seat / Seats
Best 772 B/E Aerospace J Refitted 777-200ER MCE & Economy / Coach Seat / Seats

Print Wikipost

Best Business Seat 777-200 “777” C37 Zodiac (Aft & Fwd) Business

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2017, 9:11 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
For the first time, my wife and I will be travelling a red-eye J in the two-cabin version. I'd appreciate it if the experts on this plane could help with this decision: Currently, we are in forward-facing DH seats in mid-cabin, but we are wondering about the advisability to switch to Row 1 DH seats on an overnight. Much light/noise from galley and lav?

Many thanks!
Old Jul 9, 2017, 8:18 pm

I'm flying in biz on flights 953 and 954 on august 11 and 26 respectively. I am trying to figure out exactly which configuration it's going to be, and I think that it's going to be the subpar version 2. I checked out this article from TPG yesterday: https://thepointsguy.com/2017/07/aa-...777-200-fleet/

it says that if there are 12 rows of biz, it's "version 2," which is apparently the worst of the 3 currently available. i looked at the seat map and it says indeed there are 12 rows, so does this mean it's definitely that version of the plane? i also read that the planes often get switched out, which seems odd if one has 12 rows and one 10 rows in business, but that aside, what input does anyone else have on this?
Old Jul 9, 2017, 8:29 pm

I'll say it still surprises me that it hadn't been until just the other week that I've finally flew this layout and while it's decent for what it is, it really cannot compare to the 773 business class seats! As it was an overnight and sleep was key, I opted for 7A for the fact that it's not "connected" like most of the other seats (and even though I do love a good view out the window, I was willing to trade that for more peaceful sleep).

Just to throw some of my own 2 cents into the pot about these seats and particularly row 7:
- Single window is a challenge but still "semi" possible to look out in the fully upright position during takeoff and landing if you're limber. At other times when you can recline the seat, the single window is definitely more than fine/useable.
- Being able to adjust the seat bottom at a more significant angle than most J class seats along with the lower leg rest section made for a surprisingly comfortable lounging position which came in rather handy later when trying to sleep (more on that in a moment).
- Having your head further from the aisle (in the rear facing seats) definitely offered more privacy specifically when eventually trying to sleep.
- Unfortunately the seat does have a drastically more confined feeling than the 773 seats and because of that, this is a layout I'd generally try to avoid on a daytime flight (risk of feeling a bit claustrophobic).
- At 6'3", flatbed J seats are always a challenge particularly as I tend to be a stomach/face down sleeper (when the concept of bending your knees just really doesn't quite work) and most carriers simply do not offer enough length to sleep that way. The 773 seats are one of the few that I can comfortably stretch out without jamming either my head or feet into the seat surround... the 772 seats though, without doubt are definitely shorter and come to more of a narrow point at both ends in comparison. I finally found the only way I could get some sleep was a deeply reclined (but not quite flat) seat position with the seat bottom angled up to prop up my legs... this way my head and feet weren't constantly hitting the wall.
- As others have mentioned, these reverse facing seats do suffer from less overall privacy in the sense of awkward moments of eye contact with those seated across the aisle (of course unless you're significantly reclined and/or ignoring the world passed out asleep).

One of the most obscure but favorite details I came across was actually the restroom between the two J cabins (at least on the A side - not sure if the restroom opposite was the same)... first it's of a very good size but more so, the door slides open rather than folds. Who knew such a small thing could come across so brilliantly?!

With all of that said, I do personally find the 772 Zodiac config several notches below the 773 and because of that, would try to avoid it if there's a possibility of a different flat bed option (ie. the 773 or another carrier).
Old Jul 9, 2017, 8:30 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by 747FC
For the first time, my wife and I will be travelling a red-eye J in the two-cabin version. I'd appreciate it if the experts on this plane could help with this decision: Currently, we are in forward-facing DH seats in mid-cabin, but we are wondering about the advisability to switch to Row 1 DH seats on an overnight. Much light/noise from galley and lav?

Many thanks!
I flew 1D in January this year, long flight ICN-DFW.

No light issues from galley. Minimal noise from galley just before and after a meal. Zero engine noise. No lav issues. It's a quiet and peaceful part of the J cabin. And, the seats don't have the dreaded "feel my neighbor move" issue.

1D & 1H would be a great choice for you and your wife.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dpakman91
I'm flying in biz on flights 953 and 954 on august 11 and 26 respectively. I am trying to figure out exactly which configuration it's going to be, and I think that it's going to be the subpar version 2. I checked out this article from TPG yesterday: https://thepointsguy.com/2017/07/aa-...777-200-fleet/

it says that if there are 12 rows of biz, it's "version 2," which is apparently the worst of the 3 currently available. i looked at the seat map and it says indeed there are 12 rows, so does this mean it's definitely that version of the plane? i also read that the planes often get switched out, which seems odd if one has 12 rows and one 10 rows in business, but that aside, what input does anyone else have on this?
Planes do get switched out from time to time.
I don't know what that article says, but the 12-row is the Zodiac seat described in this thread. It's a flat bed, direct-aisle-access seat. It's probably not the best of that type of seat out there, but it's decent. The biggest complaint seems to be the movement of adjacent seats, plenty discussed in here. Also, some seats face forward and others backward and there are various considerations associated with that as well due to the design of the seat (as opposed to BA where the seats are all the same, just the orientation is different).

The 10 row version may be the same Zodiac seat, or it may be the Super Diamond, which is more similar to the 777-300ER seat -- all forward facing.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 11:33 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
I am still no further forward in deciding which seats to book for my wife and I.

We have 12 rows of business, so assume it is the Zodiac version.

I wish to avoid the middle seats if the divider does not go down - is this rear or forward facing?

Which seats have the full harness - forward or rear facing?

Currently still have various options for our flight in a couple of weeks time, but I suspect that will alter very soon.

Thanks!
Old Jul 9, 2017, 11:45 pm

Originally Posted by jcatman
I flew 1D in January this year, long flight ICN-DFW.

No light issues from galley. Minimal noise from galley just before and after a meal. Zero engine noise. No lav issues. It's a quiet and peaceful part of the J cabin. And, the seats don't have the dreaded "feel my neighbor move" issue.

1D & 1H would be a great choice for you and your wife.
Thank you for your kind response and recommendation! One other question: Is there any shelf immediately behind 1DH in which snacks are offered for the cabin?
Old Jul 10, 2017, 7:49 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by GentleGiant
All the forward-facing seats on the Zodiac and Super Diamond (which are all fwd-facing) have the shoulder belt.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 8:19 am

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by 747FC
Thank you for your kind response and recommendation! One other question: Is there any shelf immediately behind 1DH in which snacks are offered for the cabin?
There's a flat area behind one of your shoulders, but not used for snack display or anything like that.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by jcatman
There's a flat area behind one of your shoulders, but not used for snack display or anything like that.
Thanks!
Old Jul 10, 2017, 12:48 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maξtre-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by GentleGiant
I am still no further forward in deciding which seats to book for my wife and I.

We have 12 rows of business, so assume it is the Zodiac version.

I wish to avoid the middle seats if the divider does not go down - is this rear or forward facing?

Currently still have various options for our flight in a couple of weeks time, but I suspect that will alter very soon.

Thanks!
Check your cabin layout. If seats are forward and act facing, Zodiac (SeatGuru "version 2") ; if all forward facing, B/E Aerospace (SeatGuru "version 3"). Links to the appropriate thread if this isn't the one are in the Wikipost. If you're in Zodes, check post #1 for diagrams, the Wikipost at the top of the page for further information.

Zodiac seats have center dividers. There is no rhyme or reason to thether (or which) are up or down in the aircraft where this issue hasn't been rectified. (B/E seats don't have these dividers.)

No seats have full harnesses, but all B/E and Zodiac diagonally forward facing seats have a supplemental padded single shoulder strap required for takeoff and landing.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
Zodiac seats have center dividers. There is no rhyme or reason to thether (or which) are up or down in the aircraft where this issue hasn't been rectified.
Are they working on rectifying this? If so, is there some general idea of when they will fix the dividers on all affected zodiac seats, so that they'll all go up and down?
Old Jul 10, 2017, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by richarddd
Are they working on rectifying this? If so, is there some general idea of when they will fix the dividers on all affected zodiac seats, so that they'll all go up and down?
You'd think they'd have fixed them by now (along with stabilizing the seats). Although it would be nice, for those who have flown this particular aircraft, to make note of the tail # and then we can maybe build a little list for the Wiki as to dates, tail #, and if the divider and seat movement issue is fixed or not.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 7:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by richarddd
Originally Posted by hurnik
You'd think they'd have fixed them by now (along with stabilizing the seats). Although it would be nice, for those who have flown this particular aircraft, to make note of the tail # and then we can maybe build a little list for the Wiki as to dates, tail #, and if the divider and seat movement issue is fixed or not.
I think the issue with both the divider and the "seats attached at the head" induced motion fix might have to do with AA dismissing the Zodiac seat contract and the need to secure an FAA STC* for any modification. The STC requires significant engineering paperwork and I'd imagine neither AA nor Zodiac is thrilled to have to divert time and energy to this project.

But AA has committed to fixing both the divider and the "motion over the ocean" seat motion issues.

*Supplemental Type Certificate (FAA approval doc for aircraft modifications, changes or additions)

Any signed in member with 90 days and 90 posts can edit the Wikipost, so it's certainly feasible for members to add the aircraft registration numbers and state of the fixes, but these may also be obsolescent at the time of posting, depending on the progress of the repairs.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 8:07 am
Original Poster

Posts that are about identifying 772 configuration, state of the CIP, etc. and not specific to the Zodiac "Concept D Business Suite" have been moved to the 772 CIP thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...iscussion.html

/Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.