Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Best Business Seat 777-200 “777” C37 Zodiac (Aft & Fwd) Business

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 17, 2015, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WindowSeatFlyer
NOTE: Discussion here is for the Boeing 777-200ERs refitted with the Zodiac "Concept D" Business Suite (forward and aft facing seats) only.
See the (unofficial) American Fleet Site list for configuration by registration numbers here.

Forward facing seats are overlooked by rear facing occupants across the aisle
Forward facing seats have one armrest (aisle side of seat)
Rear facing seats do not have armrests leading to a "bathtub" effect
Rear facing seats are preferred by many fliers for greater shoulder space
Forward facing seats require use of a shoulder strap in addition to the seat lap belt during takeoff and landing operations

Seat 1A is blocked for pilot rest on flights > 8 hours.
Seats 7A and 7L have restricted views (window blank)
Seats 1A, 1D, 1H, 7A, 7L, 10A, and 10L are not coupled to neighbouring seats and are reported to be less susceptible to "rocking" and "knocking"
Seats 10D and 10H are overlooked by occupants in 13B and 13J respectively.
Seats 5A and 6L are overlooked by galley occupants
Seats 10A and 10L are close to Premium Economy bassinets

Cabin overhead storage bins are capacious and when closed give the aircraft a more open, spacious feel.

In-suite storage is minimal, consisting of a niche with "fence" capable of holding a mobile phone connected to one of the two USB ports and a small area below seat level capable of holding a water bottle and small item. (two 110V AC with a "universal" plug socket is also provided.)

The area under the footrest (too small to be called an ottoman) might be able to store a purse or small item.

General fit and finish has been described as fair at best, with some gaps, misfits, etc.

IFE is AVOD and operates from a hand control. The spacious screen is hinged and can not be tilted vertically.

WiFi is Panasonic satellite international WiFi

Bang & Olufsen noise reducing headsets are provided in Business Class; these are retrieved by crew about an hour prior to landing.

A self-service snack bar is set up in the galley for Business class.

Lavatories seem more open and spacious, and offer higher volume sink basins.

Related threads
Aircraft guide: Which 777-200ER / 772 / 777? (As of 11 Dec 2018)
772 Refitted 777-200ER B/E Aerospace Super Diamond Business Seat / Seats
Best 772 Zodiac J Refitted 777-200ER MCE and Economy / Coach Seat / Seats
Best 772 B/E Aerospace J Refitted 777-200ER MCE & Economy / Coach Seat / Seats

Print Wikipost

Best Business Seat 777-200 “777” C37 Zodiac (Aft & Fwd) Business

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2018, 4:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by nobbymoody
Will be taking our first AA flight JFK-LHR on a 772 V3 in business. I’d just like to ask what are considered the best seats for a peaceful sleep. Currently have 1D and H. Don’t mind which way we face and sitting together is not important as we’ll be asleep

Thanks

Flew the 772 today from NRT to DFW in 1H. Seat was very comfortable and no issue with peaceful rest. The seats on the 772 are awesome. Later today I flew a AA 788 window, not as comfortable as a the 772. Also want to point out I flew a JAL 77w and 788 this week and the AA 772 hard product is 10x better than JALs hard product. No comparison.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 8:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Diamond, SPG lifetime platinum
Originally Posted by stuartma
Is there any update on the 772 middle dividers in J situation? From what I've read, it seems that there has been little rhyme or reason to whether the dividers are up or down, but that in some cases, the dividers on the rear facing seats are up and those in the forward facing seats are down - at least in the second cabin. And in some cases, members are reporting that the dividers were working properly, on multiple flights.

Have the dividers been fixed or is there any "official" way they are being set in the up or down position e.g. up for rear facing, down for forward facing? I am travelling GIG-JFK in J with my wife and two kids and trying to figure out where to choose seats given the apparent ongoing divider issue is a pain.

Thanks for any new news.
I am also interested in a response to this question for a trip on the 777-200 LAX-LHR in October. The wiki says dividers down for odd rows and up for even? Row one is aft facing. So does this mean dividers down? Or is it likely the 777-200 have been updated with all forward facing seats by October?
Old Mar 4, 2018, 8:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by entrada
I am also interested in a response to this question for a trip on the 777-200 LAX-LHR in October.
The 772 I flew 48 hours ago NRT to DFW had the dividers down, and I did not see a way to raise the divider. Not a issue, as one can open the multimedia storage door and that will provide immediate privacy if desired. One can also place a laptop on the multimedia cover and it will also provide privacy. Really not a issue, and I like privacy....
Old Mar 8, 2018, 6:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by entrada
I am also interested in a response to this question for a trip on the 777-200 LAX-LHR in October. The wiki says dividers down for odd rows and up for even? Row one is aft facing. So does this mean dividers down? Or is it likely the 777-200 have been updated with all forward facing seats by October?
AA has not officially (or unofficially) updated on this, or the connected-seat motion issues they said they were going to fix.

But it does seem that the dividers are working. My experience over the past 2.5 years has been they always work.

Originally Posted by GunsOfNavarone
The 772 I flew 48 hours ago NRT to DFW had the dividers down, and I did not see a way to raise the divider. Not a issue, as one can open the multimedia storage door and that will provide immediate privacy if desired. One can also place a laptop on the multimedia cover and it will also provide privacy. Really not a issue, and I like privacy....
You must have been on an all forward-facing 772, as the forward/rear Zodiac 772's do not have media storage doors. The Super Diamond's do, but AA choose not to even put a middle privacy divider in those seats, which has long been loathed on this forum and elsewhere.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 6:56 pm

Do 2DH sound like reasonable seats for a couple?

Any meaningful difference between forward and rear J sections?
Old Apr 8, 2018, 9:17 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
How to tell the difference?

HI
We have a 772 DFW-OGG in May in Domestic First (AA119). Have booked 1L/2L since travelling with the wife. Is there a way of checking if this is the forward/aft Zodiac seats or the reverse herringbone B/E Aerospace Super diamond seats? Based on seatguru, I can't tell the difference.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 10:02 am

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by Dselvan
HI
We have a 772 DFW-OGG in May in Domestic First (AA119). Have booked 1L/2L since travelling with the wife. Is there a way of checking if this is the forward/aft Zodiac seats or the reverse herringbone B/E Aerospace Super diamond seats? Based on seatguru, I can't tell the difference.
The "standardization" of the 777-200 fleet is in full swing. All birds will have 37J seats. Of the 47 aircraft in AA's fleet, 19 planes will have the forward/aft Zodiac seats, and the remaining 28 will have the B/E Aerospace Super Diamond. Simple math will provide your odds of avoiding the Zodiac seats.

You can check the tail number of the aircraft that is currently flying your route and that might reveal the likelihood of the style of cabin on your upcoming flight. After standardization is complete, substitutions on any route served by a 777-200 will be easy to institute.

It's not ideal, but since you can never be 100% certain which style of seat your plane will have until just hours before your flight, you have to be strategic about selecting seats which are acceptable on the Zodiac configuration. If you end up in the Super Diamond configuration, you hit the jackpot.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 2:25 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jcatman
The "standardization" of the 777-200 fleet is in full swing. All birds will have 37J seats. Of the 47 aircraft in AA's fleet, 19 planes will have the forward/aft Zodiac seats, and the remaining 28 will have the B/E Aerospace Super Diamond. Simple math will provide your odds of avoiding the Zodiac seats.

You can check the tail number of the aircraft that is currently flying your route and that might reveal the likelihood of the style of cabin on your upcoming flight. After standardization is complete, substitutions on any route served by a 777-200 will be easy to institute.

It's not ideal, but since you can never be 100% certain which style of seat your plane will have until just hours before your flight, you have to be strategic about selecting seats which are acceptable on the Zodiac configuration. If you end up in the Super Diamond configuration, you hit the jackpot.
Thankyou jcatman. Am happy with the seats even as the zodiac configuration but obviously if we get the super diamond, will be even more happy!!!
Old May 4, 2018, 12:16 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, SPG Gold
Quick question: I'm in 1A (rear-facing). I understand these are normally blocked for pilots on 6+ hr flights (so not many reviews) but this is on MIA-LAX so available.

Any preference between 1A and 7L? Cheers!
Old May 5, 2018, 1:39 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by pdxparse
Quick question: I'm in 1A (rear-facing). I understand these are normally blocked for pilots on 6+ hr flights (so not many reviews) but this is on MIA-LAX so available.

Any preference between 1A and 7L? Cheers!
1A is similarly rear-facing and non-shaky as 7L, but does have an extra window IIRC. That said, I strongly prefer starboard-side views flying into LAX (even if I have to strain my neck a little to look out the window from 7L), though to each their own on that one.
Old May 22, 2018, 11:22 am

Are seats 7A/7L missing windows entirely?
I’d love a non-shakey seat, but I love my window views more.
I can’t find any photos or videos online that would show the row 7 window seats?
Old May 23, 2018, 6:55 am

Originally Posted by ORDUSA
Are seats 7A/7L missing windows entirely?
I’d love a non-shakey seat, but I love my window views more.
I can’t find any photos or videos online that would show the row 7 window seats?
7L has a window, but you have to lean your body forward (i.e., towards the aft of the plane) and twist to the left a bit to see out of it. Ironically, though, you're actually closer to the window than you would be in 8L.
Old May 23, 2018, 1:59 pm

Programs: National Executive Elite, IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Gold, SW A List, Marriott Gold
FYI fleet site is wrong for N779AN.

It shows Zodiac but I am currently sitting on board and it’s all forward facing BE seats.
JDiver and thunderlounge like this.
Old May 23, 2018, 2:35 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by MSP_Monopoly
FYI fleet site is wrong for N779AN.

It shows Zodiac but I am currently sitting on board and it’s all forward facing BE seats.
Thanks for that. I’ve forwarded the information to the Fleet Site.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 5:46 am

Programs: AA LifeTime Gold
econometrics (or JDiver or whoever has the answer)

It seams as though no one is using this thread anymore? So which thread is now active? I'm interested in following any discussions on the nuances or differences between the BE seats (and the Zodiac seats too) on the AA 772 aircraft - business class, typically for the Hawaii to DFW flights.

Also -- the best ways to tell which aircraft you are actually flying on (BE or Zodiac seats)

So can someone point me to the active thread on these subjects?
Happyfeet

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.