Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Best Business Seat 777-200 “777” C37 Zodiac (Aft & Fwd) Business

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 17, 2015, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WindowSeatFlyer
NOTE: Discussion here is for the Boeing 777-200ERs refitted with the Zodiac "Concept D" Business Suite (forward and aft facing seats) only.
See the (unofficial) American Fleet Site list for configuration by registration numbers here.

Forward facing seats are overlooked by rear facing occupants across the aisle
Forward facing seats have one armrest (aisle side of seat)
Rear facing seats do not have armrests leading to a "bathtub" effect
Rear facing seats are preferred by many fliers for greater shoulder space
Forward facing seats require use of a shoulder strap in addition to the seat lap belt during takeoff and landing operations

Seat 1A is blocked for pilot rest on flights > 8 hours.
Seats 7A and 7L have restricted views (window blank)
Seats 1A, 1D, 1H, 7A, 7L, 10A, and 10L are not coupled to neighbouring seats and are reported to be less susceptible to "rocking" and "knocking"
Seats 10D and 10H are overlooked by occupants in 13B and 13J respectively.
Seats 5A and 6L are overlooked by galley occupants
Seats 10A and 10L are close to Premium Economy bassinets

Cabin overhead storage bins are capacious and when closed give the aircraft a more open, spacious feel.

In-suite storage is minimal, consisting of a niche with "fence" capable of holding a mobile phone connected to one of the two USB ports and a small area below seat level capable of holding a water bottle and small item. (two 110V AC with a "universal" plug socket is also provided.)

The area under the footrest (too small to be called an ottoman) might be able to store a purse or small item.

General fit and finish has been described as fair at best, with some gaps, misfits, etc.

IFE is AVOD and operates from a hand control. The spacious screen is hinged and can not be tilted vertically.

WiFi is Panasonic satellite international WiFi

Bang & Olufsen noise reducing headsets are provided in Business Class; these are retrieved by crew about an hour prior to landing.

A self-service snack bar is set up in the galley for Business class.

Lavatories seem more open and spacious, and offer higher volume sink basins.

Related threads
Aircraft guide: Which 777-200ER / 772 / 777? (As of 11 Dec 2018)
772 Refitted 777-200ER B/E Aerospace Super Diamond Business Seat / Seats
Best 772 Zodiac J Refitted 777-200ER MCE and Economy / Coach Seat / Seats
Best 772 B/E Aerospace J Refitted 777-200ER MCE & Economy / Coach Seat / Seats

Print Wikipost

Best Business Seat 777-200 “777” C37 Zodiac (Aft & Fwd) Business

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2018, 7:44 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by Happyfeet
econometrics (or JDiver or whoever has the answer)

It seams as though no one is using this thread anymore? So which thread is now active? I'm interested in following any discussions on the nuances or differences between the BE seats (and the Zodiac seats too) on the AA 772 aircraft - business class, typically for the Hawaii to DFW flights.

Also -- the best ways to tell which aircraft you are actually flying on (BE or Zodiac seats)

So can someone point me to the active thread on these subjects?
Happyfeet
Answered here.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 7:08 am

Programs: AA LifeTime Gold
Originally Posted by econometrics
Answered here.
econometrics

I know you are one of the most knowledgeable members posting on these 772 threads and I know everyone certainly appreciates your help on every issue! But by sending me to another thread -- it would be natural to assume you are agreeing that this thread IS dead or dying? But that's probably not how I should interpret this. I'll try using this thread for questions related to choosing a good business class seat for my situation, for example.
Thanks again.
Happyfeet
Old Jun 27, 2018, 7:14 am

But by sending me to another thread -- it would be natural to assume you are agreeing that this thread IS dead or dying? But that's probably not how I should interpret this. I'll try using this thread for questions related to choosing a good business class seat for my situation, for example.
Thanks again.
Happyfeet
I was only noting that the question you had asked was answered in detail in another thread.

I'm sure we all WISH this thread would die - by AA removing the Zodiac seating and installing the BE seat... but that's not in the cards.
JDiver, jcatman and dciolli like this.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 8:48 am

I'm sure we all WISH this thread would die - by AA removing the Zodiac seating and installing the BE seat... but that's not in the cards.

Amen!
Old Jun 27, 2018, 12:23 pm

I was only noting that the question you had asked was answered in detail in another thread.

econometrics;

I
've only been on these planes twice on the HNL - DFW route -- both times on the Zodiac, So I wouldn't know 1st hand for sure that the BE version is better.
But on our 2 flights, despite our feeble efforts, on both flights my wife and I were separated in a way that we either couldn't talk or see each other. Once in 5 H & L, our heads were easily 14 feet apart with an aisle between and in 3 A & D and we couldn't even see each other and were not even on the same row and our heads were probably 12 ft apart again with an aisle between. If we had had D & H seats our heads would have been about 2 ft apart but I changed our seats at the last minute probably without really knowing what I was doing. We survived OK, but I was determined to figure this thing out and do my best to pick better seats.

I just wish this route just flew one type of plane or the other -- not both, but obviously that won't happen. And I wish there was an actual seat-map somewhere we could trust. AA.Com could hire a draftsman straight out of school to draw a proper seat map that actually portrayed the information we keep asking each-other on these threads. I think Seat-Guru depends on submitals from their readers for their seat maps.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 12:35 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
econometrics;

I
've only been on these planes twice on the HNL - DFW route -- both times on the Zodiac, So I wouldn't know 1st hand for sure that the BE version is better.

But on our 2 flights, despite our feeble efforts, on both flights my wife and I were separated in a way that we either couldn't talk or see each other. Once in 5 H & L, our heads were easily 14 feet apart with an aisle between and in 3 A & D and we couldn't even see each other and were not even on the same row and our heads were probably 12 ft apart again with an aisle between. If we had had D & H seats our heads would have been about 2 ft apart but I changed our seats at the last minute probably without really knowing what I was doing. We survived OK, but I was determined to figure this thing out and do my best to pick better seats.

I just wish this route just flew one type of plane or the other -- not both, but obviously that won't happen. And I wish there was an actual seat-map somewhere we could trust. AA.Com could hire a draftsman straight out of school to draw a proper seat map that actually portrayed the information we keep asking each-other on these threads. I think Seat-Guru depends on submitals from their readers for their seat maps.
The problem with the Zodes is in the center rows the dividers may be fixed up or down; you won’t know which until you board. If the dividers are up, you’re still pretty much flying solo.

Btw, I’ve flown both Zodiac and Super Diamond. I feel the SD is a considerably better product. Better fit and finish, no bugs I’ve found and certsinly no “Motion over the ocean”.

SestGuru doesn’t depend on much; they pretty much ignore reader submitted information, until it may suit them - since TripAdvisor bought them. The Flight is just as useless. And since Huey sold SeatExpert, that’s a bust as well.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 12:40 pm

I just wish this route just flew one type of plane or the other -- not both, but obviously that won't happen. And I wish there was an actual seat-map somewhere we could trust. AA.Com could hire a draftsman straight out of school to draw a proper seat map that actually portrayed the information we keep asking each-other on these threads.
I think we all likely feel this way, though it's really not an operational possibility. With the 7 37J 772's floating through the entire longhaul route system, it's impossible for AA to show you the map of one version over the other and give you the perception that seat will be what you get.

For a good while, actually, the seat maps were ALL the Zodiac seat maps. But the Super Diamond refits quickly took over the majority of the 772 subfleet configurations, so AA switched to that as the default seat map for advanced sale.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
The problem with the Zodes is in the center rows the dividers may be fixed up or down; you won’t know which until you board. If the dividers are up, you’re still pretty much flying solo.

Btw, I’ve flown both Zodiac and Super Diamond. I feel the SD is a considerably better product. Better fit and finish, no bugs I’ve found and certsinly no “Motion over the ocean”.

SestGuru doesn’t depend on much; they pretty much ignore reader submitted information, until it may suit them - since TripAdvisor bought them. The Flight is just as useless. And since Huey sold SeatExpert, that’s a bust as well.
JDiver
After reading through all the posts of all 3 threads, I noticed that one of the reliable posters who flies these planes all the time said that in the last 2 1/2 years he hadn't found any of the dividers to be fixed in the upright position. I don't remember who said it or which forum but I noticed that no one disagreed with him.

Well thanks for explaining the "Seat-map" websites. I just know that Seat Guru just isn't right in a lot of situations. I get especially frustrated when seat 3A and 3D aren't even on the same row for the Zodiac -- so I can't trust that that won't be the case with either type of seat and any row. I've studied the photos people submit but sometimes you still just can't tell. If someone had the time, they could make a walk-thru and note which window seats don't line up with their row. Even I might have done that if I thought of it. In fact I just couldn't figure out why my seat was on the wrong row. I actually thought it was just a one-off mis-numbering on that plane or I had just looked at the seat map wrong without noticing that anomaly and it was my mistake or something like that-- bad luck.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 1:19 pm

I think we all likely feel this way, though it's really not an operational possibility. With the 7 37J 772's floating through the entire longhaul route system, it's impossible for AA to show you the map of one version over the other and give you the perception that seat will be what you get.

For a good while, actually, the seat maps were ALL the Zodiac seat maps. But the Super Diamond refits quickly took over the majority of the 772 subfleet configurations, so AA switched to that as the default seat map for advanced sale.
econometrics
When it come to the seat map that AA uses -- I THINK that they like using their rather generic seat-map because you could say it fits both types of configurations. They all have 37 seats and have the correct number and relative position of the seats on each row. As long as you don't try to be very precise -- most people will just pick their seats and won't even think that the possibility exists that they are in for a big surprise.until they are on the plane. I've even asked the flight attendants it they know which type of plane they will be flying on. They say "No" not until they board themselves. But then again I don't think they have a reason to really care. .
Old Jun 27, 2018, 1:22 pm

econometrics
When it come to the seat map that AA uses -- I THINK that they like using their rather generic seat-map because you could say it fits both types of configurations. They all have 37 seats and have the correct number and relative position of the seats on each row. As long as you don't try to be very precise -- most people will just pick their seats and won't even think that the possibility exists that they are in for a big surprise.until they are on the plane. I've even asked the flight attendants it they know which type of plane they will be flying on. They say "No" not until they board themselves. But then again I don't think they have a reason to really care. .
Correct. The seat map AA uses is the 37J all-forward facing configuration.

And the flight attendants are correct. There's no definitive way to know until starting about 24h before departure (though it can change up to an hour before departure)... and this only by finding the tail registration of the 777-200ER scheduled for that particular flight.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 6:14 pm

For my question -- I am simply asking --

"What it the best way to determine whether your flight will have Zodiac Seats or the B-E Seats?

Several People here on Flyertalk have said we should just depend on [ flightradar24 ] to tell us the tail number and from there you can look up whether it will have "B-E" or "Zodiac" seats by using the chart that shows those tail numbers for all 47 of the 772's -- that have the J37 configuration -- (I think I got that terminology correct) and don't even mess with the AA.com sight that might or might not show the backward facing seats -- a few hours before departure time. I've messed around with flightradar24 a few times and think I understand it pretty well. So that leads to the next question. I'm not the most savvy cell phone user so I'm just going to ask -

Is there a ios app for flightradar24? and if so how well does it work for determining the tail number on one of these flights? Has anyone tried it out?

Reason I'm asking? Of course, we might find ourselves on the move trying to get to the next gate while trying to look up that tail number? I've read all the posts of the 3 main threads for these planes but I don't think anyone mentioned an app for flightradar24?

I suppose we could use the Safari Web-browser on our phones and maneuver around a rather bulky program to try to find the right screen we need but somehow that doesn't sound like much fun.

HappyFeet

Last edited by Happyfeet; Jun 30, 2018 at 6:54 am
Old Jun 29, 2018, 7:20 pm

Programs: AA 1.6MM EXP; UA GS; SPG LTG,Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Since eventually all 45J birds are dropping to 37 - so presumably the last two rows of 4 seats (11 and 12) are being replaced by PE - if I pre-select seats ahead of row 10 on what the AA seatmap is currently showing as a 45J bird - what's the consensus on the safety of the seat selections IF AA swaps the equipment for a 37J refit (or fingers crossed a BE-equipped plane)? Currently in 8J/9H/9L, family of 3. Would hate to be split up at the last minute (or lose window seats) and then not be able to sort that out due to a full cabin.

FWIW this is for AA 66 JFK-BCN on July 28. As of now, (and yes, there's a month to go but BCN isn't exactly a huge business destination) EF is showing J7 R7 D7 I7 <snip>, so I imagine the cabin is still wide open, and they could conceivably switch equipment without having to downgrade upgraders like me .
Old Jul 3, 2018, 6:02 am

For my question -- I am simply asking --

"What it the best way to determine whether your flight will have Zodiac Seats or the B-E Seats?

Several People here on Flyertalk have said we should just depend on [ flightradar24 ] to tell us the tail number and from there you can look up whether it will have "B-E" or "Zodiac" seats by using the chart that shows those tail numbers for all 47 of the 772's -- that have the J37 configuration -- (I think I got that terminology correct) and don't even mess with the AA.com sight that might or might not show the backward facing seats -- a few hours before departure time. I've messed around with flightradar24 a few times and think I understand it pretty well. So that leads to the next question. I'm not the most savvy cell phone user so I'm just going to ask -

Is there a ios app for flightradar24? and if so how well does it work for determining the tail number on one of these flights? Has anyone tried it out?

Reason I'm asking? Of course, we might find ourselves on the move trying to get to the next gate while trying to look up that tail number? I've read all the posts of the 3 main threads for these planes but I don't think anyone mentioned an app for flightradar24?

I suppose we could use the Safari Web-browser on our phones and maneuver around a rather bulky program to try to find the right screen we need but somehow that doesn't sound like much fun.

HappyFeet
There is a flightradar24 iOS app. It works great! The first screen you see has a search bar at the top and you can just type your flight number in. Once you click the flight number it will show you all the previous flights along with any live or scheduled flights. Here is a screenshot of the flight number I'll be taking in October. It's showing N780AN which, I think, has B/E seats. They show the flights as far as ~10 days into the future but they only list the tail number for the next day or 2. Hope that helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Last edited by pmd5700; Jul 3, 2018 at 6:04 am Reason: added picture
Old Jul 3, 2018, 7:13 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
We've found flightradar24 to be very accurate. When our scheduled 777-200 tail number is listed a couple days out. I look up the aircraft on FT or go to the google AA fleet list and see if it's BE Super Diamond or Zodiac cabin up front. Of course, departure day aircraft subs are also a possibility on any flight,. Makes no surprises at boarding which we like.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 7:52 pm

pmd5700

There is a flightradar24 iOS app. It works great! The first screen you see has a search bar at the top and you can just type your flight number in. Once you click the flight number it will show you all the previous flights along with any live or scheduled flights. Here is a screenshot of the flight number I'll be taking in October. It's showing N780AN which, I think, has B/E seats. They show the flights as far as ~10 days into the future but they only list the tail number for the next day or 2. Hope that helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

davesam12

We've found flightradar24 to be very accurate. When our scheduled 777-200 tail number is listed a couple days out. I look up the aircraft on FT or go to the google AA fleet list and see if it's BE Super Diamond or Zodiac cabin up front. Of course, departure day aircraft subs are also a possibility on any flight,. Makes no surprises at boarding which we like.
OK -- I installed the flightradar24 App (the most obvious choice) on my phone and started playing around with it. I agree -- it works great! I honestly believed after messing with the laptop version that an APP for a phone that they supplied would be a rather clunky, poorly designed program, but it seams to have the same choices and options as the laptop version and seams just as easy to manipulate. Sometimes the screens and numbers are almost too small to read but I think I can adjust that.
Anyway I wasn't very original and did a resent search for AAL119 -- the same DFW - OGG flight you were looking at.

I found
3 Jul = N780AN = B-E seats
4 Jul = N755AN = B-E seats
5 Jul = N786AN = B-E Seats
6 Jul didn't show a tail number

Anyway I think i could use this app while riding the sky-link train around to the next gate at DFW easy enough. I'll just have to keep practicing.

I'm wonder if I can use the AA.com app to change seats? Well, I tried that - looking at "My Trips". In fact AA assumes that you want to see "My Trips" 1st. I can change seats. I was wondering how AA verifies who is changing the seats? I guess, if I sign in to my phone and my phone displays my name -- that seems to be good enough verification for AA and they will let me change seats.

Now I wonder if the AA.com app will allow me to see if my upcoming flight will have any rear facing Business Class seats on a 772 J37 flight?
I plugged in a Dummy Booking for this evening about 14 hours away for AA 230 KOA -DFW.
I was able to pull up a seat map and surprise! the seat map shows 13 open seats and 6 of them are rear facing (they have the little triangle indentations for your head at the top of the square seat emblem) so it's a Zodiac seat plane.

I'll have to keep messing with it but I'm going to assume that for most flights you can try a dummy booking starting about 24 hr. out and check for the Zodiac seats. Even if no seats are available The emblem legend at the top of the page only displays "rear facing seats" only if that plane has Zodiac rear facing seats - (at least as far as I can tell). Then you could keep checking from time to time until its time to board. Something else to play with just to try to make sure!

Just goes to show it is amazing what you can do with a phone if you are brave enough to try!

Anyway -- Thanks a Million !!!
pmd5700 likes this.

Last edited by Happyfeet; Jul 6, 2018 at 6:05 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.