Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Best Business Seat 777-200 “777” C37 Zodiac (Aft & Fwd) Business

Old Aug 17, 2015, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WindowSeatFlyer
NOTE: Discussion here is for the Boeing 777-200ERs refitted with the Zodiac "Concept D" Business Suite (forward and aft facing seats) only.
See the (unofficial) American Fleet Site list for configuration by registration numbers here.

Forward facing seats are overlooked by rear facing occupants across the aisle
Forward facing seats have one armrest (aisle side of seat)
Rear facing seats do not have armrests leading to a "bathtub" effect
Rear facing seats are preferred by many fliers for greater shoulder space
Forward facing seats require use of a shoulder strap in addition to the seat lap belt during takeoff and landing operations

Seat 1A is blocked for pilot rest on flights > 8 hours.
Seats 7A and 7L have restricted views (window blank)
Seats 1A, 1D, 1H, 7A, 7L, 10A, and 10L are not coupled to neighbouring seats and are reported to be less susceptible to "rocking" and "knocking"
Seats 10D and 10H are overlooked by occupants in 13B and 13J respectively.
Seats 5A and 6L are overlooked by galley occupants
Seats 10A and 10L are close to Premium Economy bassinets

Cabin overhead storage bins are capacious and when closed give the aircraft a more open, spacious feel.

In-suite storage is minimal, consisting of a niche with "fence" capable of holding a mobile phone connected to one of the two USB ports and a small area below seat level capable of holding a water bottle and small item. (two 110V AC with a "universal" plug socket is also provided.)

The area under the footrest (too small to be called an ottoman) might be able to store a purse or small item.

General fit and finish has been described as fair at best, with some gaps, misfits, etc.

IFE is AVOD and operates from a hand control. The spacious screen is hinged and can not be tilted vertically.

WiFi is Panasonic satellite international WiFi

Bang & Olufsen noise reducing headsets are provided in Business Class; these are retrieved by crew about an hour prior to landing.

A self-service snack bar is set up in the galley for Business class.

Lavatories seem more open and spacious, and offer higher volume sink basins.

Related threads
Aircraft guide: Which 777-200ER / 772 / 777? (As of 11 Dec 2018)
772 Refitted 777-200ER B/E Aerospace Super Diamond Business Seat / Seats
Best 772 Zodiac J Refitted 777-200ER MCE and Economy / Coach Seat / Seats
Best 772 B/E Aerospace J Refitted 777-200ER MCE & Economy / Coach Seat / Seats

Print Wikipost

Old May 9, 2012, 11:05 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

Four of 47 777-223ER hulls had been refitted as of August 2015, it was time to start a thread on Business seating for this aircraft.

Note illustrations here. The seats that are "attached at the head" are the ones that are subject to movement induced by the attached chair unit - "motion over the ocean".

AA has stated they will remediate the issue, but any stiffeners or hardware changes must be STCd by the FAA. This means it is likely to take some time to accomplish elimination of the induced motion.

NOTE: According to econometrics, the first 45J aircraft has gone to Paine Field for refitting to 37J on 30 Sep 2018. All 45J will be reconfigured to 37J and be fitted with Premium Economy, probably by summer of 2019.

Charts c/o SeatGuru.
Attached Images   

Last edited by JDiver; Sep 30, 2018 at 10:43 am Reason: Rededicate
Old Aug 18, 2015, 8:35 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
I've chosen 3A, rear-facing window seat. I've had rear-facing seats on BA 747 UD. and do like to fly like that.
Any comments on 3a from anyone on here?
No missing windows etc? I seem to be good at choosing those seats!
decabea likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 2:44 pm

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold
I was in 9L, a rear-facing window seat, and it was quite nice. It seems that there is a bit more shoulder room in the rear-facing seats as the "shell" opens up at the window. No missing window at 9, can't comment on 3, sorry, but if your goal is to look out of it, rear-facing may not be right for you as you'll be angled away from it.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 12:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Have the dividers between the middle pairs of seats been unlocked yet, or are they still permanently in the up position? I have rear-facing pairs reserved for my wife and I, but will switch if that divider is still up.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 12:31 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75k, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Avis Perferred Plus
Originally Posted by VNAFlyer
Have the dividers between the middle pairs of seats been unlocked yet, or are they still permanently in the up position? I have rear-facing pairs reserved for my wife and I, but will switch if that divider is still up.
Have the same question here. My partner and I are flying GIG-JFK in January, currently in 3D/H. If the divider doesn't go down, then I'm tempted to put us in windows facing each other.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 1:06 pm

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold
Originally Posted by bherman
Have the same question here. My partner and I are flying GIG-JFK in January, currently in 3D/H. If the divider doesn't go down, then I'm tempted to put us in windows facing each other.
I wouldn't expect any change to it yet. Maybe they've been able to fix them so that they move given the delivery delays for other refits, but until I hear it from someone here I wouldn't count on it.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 11:50 pm

Programs: american advantage
772 business class seats

Flying business class JFK to LHR on 772, retrofitted 777-200 What seats are best for a couple...windows preferred...but.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 12:33 am

D and G

Last edited by skylady; Oct 14, 2015 at 8:20 pm
Old Sep 3, 2015, 12:45 am

772 business class seats

Retrofitted as in 1-2-1? No pair is particularly good for couples. Take two across the aisle or windows one behind the other and enjoy!
Old Sep 3, 2015, 1:37 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by oteu159
Flying business class JFK to LHR on 772, retrofitted 777-200 What seats are best for a couple...windows preferred...but.
Into the consolidated thread this goes...

~Moderator
Old Sep 3, 2015, 8:37 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
Any suggestion for good seats for a family of four.mtwo adults, one teenager and an infant (who won't have their own seat)?

TIA.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by BerksFlyer
Any suggestion for good seats for a family of four.mtwo adults, one teenager and an infant (who won't have their own seat)?

TIA.
I would say at least for the adult holding the infant, take a forward-facing seat for more additional elbow room and ease of blocking the aisle access, in case the infant can walk/run/escape like a ninja. Then perhaps the two seats immediately across the aisle, which will end up being 1 forward/1 rear-facing.
Old Sep 6, 2015, 10:04 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Plat, PreCheck
Are these the same seats as the ones they installed on the 787 Dreamliner? As many of you must know, there have been a lot of complaints about those seats. If anyone has actual experience, I would love to know if these seats are attached to one another like those on the Dreamliner and, if so, is there one which is not attached? Apparently the movement when your seatmate moves is significant and, to many, quite disturbing.
Old Sep 6, 2015, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by SF Traveler
Are these the same seats as the ones they installed on the 787 Dreamliner? As many of you must know, there have been a lot of complaints about those seats. If anyone has actual experience, I would love to know if these seats are attached to one another like those on the Dreamliner and, if so, is there one which is not attached? Apparently the movement when your seatmate moves is significant and, to many, quite disturbing.
They are the same seats and likely have the same issues, I believe. To figure out which ones are not attached, just look at the seat map, and see which ones don't have their backs attached to each other (those are the connected ones). They are only a handful of them I believe that are not connected, typically at the edges of each cabin. Look at the actual seatmap at booking, because I think the seatguru seatmap is different and wrong.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 8:22 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by SF Traveler
Same problem on each version (787 and 77D/772 CIP) of the seat.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.