Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Best Business Seat 777-200 “777” C37 Zodiac (Aft & Fwd) Business

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 17, 2015, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WindowSeatFlyer
NOTE: Discussion here is for the Boeing 777-200ERs refitted with the Zodiac "Concept D" Business Suite (forward and aft facing seats) only.
See the (unofficial) American Fleet Site list for configuration by registration numbers here.

Forward facing seats are overlooked by rear facing occupants across the aisle
Forward facing seats have one armrest (aisle side of seat)
Rear facing seats do not have armrests leading to a "bathtub" effect
Rear facing seats are preferred by many fliers for greater shoulder space
Forward facing seats require use of a shoulder strap in addition to the seat lap belt during takeoff and landing operations

Seat 1A is blocked for pilot rest on flights > 8 hours.
Seats 7A and 7L have restricted views (window blank)
Seats 1A, 1D, 1H, 7A, 7L, 10A, and 10L are not coupled to neighbouring seats and are reported to be less susceptible to "rocking" and "knocking"
Seats 10D and 10H are overlooked by occupants in 13B and 13J respectively.
Seats 5A and 6L are overlooked by galley occupants
Seats 10A and 10L are close to Premium Economy bassinets

Cabin overhead storage bins are capacious and when closed give the aircraft a more open, spacious feel.

In-suite storage is minimal, consisting of a niche with "fence" capable of holding a mobile phone connected to one of the two USB ports and a small area below seat level capable of holding a water bottle and small item. (two 110V AC with a "universal" plug socket is also provided.)

The area under the footrest (too small to be called an ottoman) might be able to store a purse or small item.

General fit and finish has been described as fair at best, with some gaps, misfits, etc.

IFE is AVOD and operates from a hand control. The spacious screen is hinged and can not be tilted vertically.

WiFi is Panasonic satellite international WiFi

Bang & Olufsen noise reducing headsets are provided in Business Class; these are retrieved by crew about an hour prior to landing.

A self-service snack bar is set up in the galley for Business class.

Lavatories seem more open and spacious, and offer higher volume sink basins.

Related threads
Aircraft guide: Which 777-200ER / 772 / 777? (As of 11 Dec 2018)
772 Refitted 777-200ER B/E Aerospace Super Diamond Business Seat / Seats
Best 772 Zodiac J Refitted 777-200ER MCE and Economy / Coach Seat / Seats
Best 772 B/E Aerospace J Refitted 777-200ER MCE & Economy / Coach Seat / Seats

Print Wikipost

Best Business Seat 777-200 “777” C37 Zodiac (Aft & Fwd) Business

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2021, 7:00 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
First time having to navigate the Zodiac dilemma when travelling with someone else. Have had 4 772 flightst in the last 2 months and funny enough my 10L strategy wasnt necessary on any of the 4. I got BE on all 4 and could have had my Row 3 or 4 forward cabin seat but oh well..

Travelling with my Mom to/from Miami and the outbound 77W is easy- put us in 3J/4J mini cabin. No brainer. Not sure how to play the return on the 772. 9L/10L of course would mean I am secure with forward facing and no rocking (i dont mind rear facing but not these rear facing seats that face into the aisle). Doubt my mom would care about being adjoined the person in 8L. I can see her from 10 with ease as she is facing me, in case she needs anything.

However I was thinking maybe here taking 3L/4L actually could work b/c 59% chance they are the BE and then I am right where I want to be with her in 3 and me in 4. However, she is really petite and doesnt move around much at all so sharing the rocking pair with her I doubt I even notice (but then we are back to back and not facing each other of course but I could take 3 and have my forward facing seat.

1A/2A really not my thing., yes I know i would not have anyone rocking and would get the mini cabin but i really dont want to sit rearward in these seats and the lav is right there.

Any thoughts on 9L/10L Vs. 3L/4L?

Thx
Old Sep 2, 2022, 2:40 am

Programs: CX DM (OWE), TK Elite (*A Gold)
Gutted, 12hr 35min flight and its the Zodiac (I think). Solo pax, any better seat?

Old Sep 2, 2022, 9:05 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by beach86
Gutted, 12hr 35min flight and its the Zodiac (I think). Solo pax, any better seat?
That seat map does not show rear-facing seats, which is the norm for AA with the 772 fleet seat maps for booking. You realistically will not know whether the 772 you're on is Zodiac (fwd/rear) or Super Diamond (all fwd) until 24h before your flight, and even then it could change before departure.
beach86 likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2022, 6:07 pm

Programs: CX DM (OWE), TK Elite (*A Gold)
Originally Posted by econometrics
That seat map does not show rear-facing seats, which is the norm for AA with the 772 fleet seat maps for booking. You realistically will not know whether the 772 you're on is Zodiac (fwd/rear) or Super Diamond (all fwd) until 24h before your flight, and even then it could change before departure.
How do you find out when it’s 24hrs prior? I am coming up to that.
Old Sep 7, 2022, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by beach86
How do you find out when it’s 24hrs prior? I am coming up to that.
Put your flight number in here: https://www.flightradar24.com/

E.g. "AA20" will show you the list of the 772s that have flown recently, but those scheduled to fly it for the next 1-3 days at times. https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/aa20
Old Sep 12, 2022, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by econometrics
Put your flight number in here: https://www.flightradar24.com/

E.g. "AA20" will show you the list of the 772s that have flown recently, but those scheduled to fly it for the next 1-3 days at times. https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/aa20
I think I'm missing something here - how does this page indicate which interior you'll have? I'm taking a look at a flight I'll be on in a little while, and all I'm seeing is 777-223ER and the tail number. I'm not sure if / how either of those help me determine whether it's a plane with all forward-facing seats or if it's a forward / rear configuration. Thanks for the clarification!
Old Sep 12, 2022, 12:30 pm

Programs: AA-Plat
Originally Posted by pitweasel1
I think I'm missing something here - how does this page indicate which interior you'll have? I'm taking a look at a flight I'll be on in a little while, and all I'm seeing is 777-223ER and the tail number. I'm not sure if / how either of those help me determine whether it's a plane with all forward-facing seats or if it's a forward / rear configuration. Thanks for the clarification!
After you have the tail number, you need to check it against the AA Fleet site to determine if Zodiac or B/E

https://sites.google.com/site/newame...0er?authuser=0
econometrics and pitweasel1 like this.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by hawaii-bound
After you have the tail number, you need to check it against the AA Fleet site to determine if Zodiac or B/E

https://sites.google.com/site/newame...0er?authuser=0
Got it, thank you! I'm doing a quick search of past flights, and wow - it really is completely unpredictable!

Just to confirm, is 1L attached to another seat on the Zodiac configuration? That was my original selection back before I'd ever heard the word "Zodiac", but I've now moved to 7A out of an abundance of caution - only to realize that that seat apparently doesn't have a window, which is a major problem for me sadly.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by pitweasel1
Got it, thank you! I'm doing a quick search of past flights, and wow - it really is completely unpredictable!

Just to confirm, is 1L attached to another seat on the Zodiac configuration? That was my original selection back before I'd ever heard the word "Zodiac", but I've now moved to 7A out of an abundance of caution - only to realize that that seat apparently doesn't have a window, which is a major problem for me sadly.
1L is attached to 2L, yes. 1A/D/H, 7A/L, 10A/L are all unattached.

But 1A is reserved for pilot's rest above 8 hours, and - as you said - 7A/L are missing windows.
Old Sep 15, 2022, 5:42 am

My experience, for those of you stressing over Zodiac vs B/E seats. I too was stressing over my LHR-CLT flights. The odds of getting Zodiac was around 40% and we ended up getting them both ways! However, we found the seats to be extremely comfortable and it was a good Business experience overall. We were in the centre of row 2 (forward facing) and I made a point of checking for seat rocking every time my wife moved around or got in and out of her seat. There was none at all! Maybe this issue has been resolved? Yes, privacy is not so good generally because of people sitting facing each other, and I would have liked more shelf/storage space, but it was way better than I had been made to believe.
If you are travelling as a couple and want privacy I recommend 2D/H because 1L is forward facing and 1A (rear facing) is reserved for pilot resting and therefore not in continuous use.
So my message, based on my experience, is not to fret too much. Your life will not be ruined if you get Zodiac.

Last edited by Snakehips99; Sep 15, 2022 at 5:55 am
Old Sep 15, 2022, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by Snakehips99
So my message, based on my experience, is not to fret too much. Your life will not be ruined if you get Zodiac.
💯 agreed. I did have one particular flight where the connected seat issue was a true disturbance for me. But honestly... we're not sleeping in a Four Seasons bed here, anyway. Who really sleeps GREAT on planes, even in J?

The single thing about the Zodiac seat that I feel offsets the connected issue for me is the fact that I can get a rear-facing seat. I sleep so much better in them, and it's very private when you are laid down.
Old Dec 20, 2022, 11:54 am

Programs: DL Plat, MR Plat
Recent experience in 9A on Zodiac seats (rear facing)

I recently flew DOH-JFK, which has 3 departures each day -- 2 on QR and 1, which departs 2:30 am from DOH, on AA. My 772 didn't show it was the Zodiac seats until the day before departure, so I was stuck in 9A (which is rear-facing) as the cabin was full by that point.

My experience wasn't as bad as I'd thought it might be. There is no doubt that the shake of the connected seat is noticeable -- I felt it as soon as the other passenger sat down, felt it when he was rooting around to plug in his phone charger, etc. But overnight, when both of us were sleeping with the seats in bed mode, any tossing and turning wasn't nearly as problematic. If you're on a flight where the seat is (closer to) upright for most the flying time as opposed to in bed mode, I think the rocking is more of an issue.

In terms of facing backward - and as someone who isn't especially prone to motion-sickness but certainly can feel queasy in intense situations -- it was definitely most strange on takeoff, landing and (stronger) turbulence. For general cruise or light chop, I barely thought about it -- so, like the rocking, it's something I'd try to avoid if possible but also not stress too much about if it ends up that you're stuck in one.

FWIW, on a slightly unrelated note, the FAs on this flight advised me that no pajamas or slippers were loaded as "this route doesn't get them." That was in contrast to what I'd heard (and read on here), but the FA seemed adamant that those amenities were never offered on DOH-JFK in either direction. Obviously if it hadn't been for the timing I needed, I would have chosen to fly one of the QR flights instead of AA (as I did on the way over, and it was fantastic).
Old Dec 31, 2022, 3:46 pm

Programs: many
Currently assigned in 10D/10H

Is the bulkhead window between row 10 and 13 close-able, and if so do the flight attendants regularly close this once cruising altitude is achieved?

Business class is full and I’ve got a long red eye on this, only row 10 was available. The less light and noise the better as I have a meeting upon landing. I’ll skip the any meal/beverage service to maximize sleep. I’ve been on other older aircraft in the past where this peek-hole window is latched closed after take off.

Any feedback experience with what AA does with this on their 772 is appreciated. Thank you.
Old Sep 2, 2023, 5:35 pm

Programs: AS, IHG and post-loyal
Originally Posted by pcharles
Currently assigned in 10D/10H

Is the bulkhead window between row 10 and 13 close-able, and if so do the flight attendants regularly close this once cruising altitude is achieved?

Business class is full and I’ve got a long red eye on this, only row 10 was available. The less light and noise the better as I have a meeting upon landing. I’ll skip the any meal/beverage service to maximize sleep. I’ve been on other older aircraft in the past where this peek-hole window is latched closed after take off.

Any feedback experience with what AA does with this on their 772 is appreciated. Thank you.
Not sure if you found out but I'm flying that tonight and have those seats. Can report back but hopefully it's low light and sleep-able, also planning to skip the meal and working on my willpower now.

I stupidly read the wrong date on flightradar so thought I was on BE seats vs. Zodiac. By the time I realized my mistake 7D/7H were gone, didn't really have any other choices. I would have maybe debated going for J on miles as I did this last minute, but assume any J is still worlds better than MCE for an overnight to Europe where I want to be functional the following day.
Old Sep 16, 2023, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by zpaul
You're closer to the window in the rear-facing seats, but you do have to turn your head to look out, of course, and you might end up with a great view of the wing and engine.

Unsure of the windowless rows, sorry.
...and if you have any interest in looking out, as I do, you most definitely don't want rear-facing, as you'll be twisting (not turning) your head to look out and will end up seeking out an end-of-flight upper-body deep massage to realign your vertebrae. (AA 138 LAX-LHR, 3A was my most recent experience of such.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.