Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Best Business Seat 777-200 “777” C37 Zodiac (Aft & Fwd) Business

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 17, 2015, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WindowSeatFlyer
NOTE: Discussion here is for the Boeing 777-200ERs refitted with the Zodiac "Concept D" Business Suite (forward and aft facing seats) only.
See the (unofficial) American Fleet Site list for configuration by registration numbers here.

Forward facing seats are overlooked by rear facing occupants across the aisle
Forward facing seats have one armrest (aisle side of seat)
Rear facing seats do not have armrests leading to a "bathtub" effect
Rear facing seats are preferred by many fliers for greater shoulder space
Forward facing seats require use of a shoulder strap in addition to the seat lap belt during takeoff and landing operations

Seat 1A is blocked for pilot rest on flights > 8 hours.
Seats 7A and 7L have restricted views (window blank)
Seats 1A, 1D, 1H, 7A, 7L, 10A, and 10L are not coupled to neighbouring seats and are reported to be less susceptible to "rocking" and "knocking"
Seats 10D and 10H are overlooked by occupants in 13B and 13J respectively.
Seats 5A and 6L are overlooked by galley occupants
Seats 10A and 10L are close to Premium Economy bassinets

Cabin overhead storage bins are capacious and when closed give the aircraft a more open, spacious feel.

In-suite storage is minimal, consisting of a niche with "fence" capable of holding a mobile phone connected to one of the two USB ports and a small area below seat level capable of holding a water bottle and small item. (two 110V AC with a "universal" plug socket is also provided.)

The area under the footrest (too small to be called an ottoman) might be able to store a purse or small item.

General fit and finish has been described as fair at best, with some gaps, misfits, etc.

IFE is AVOD and operates from a hand control. The spacious screen is hinged and can not be tilted vertically.

WiFi is Panasonic satellite international WiFi

Bang & Olufsen noise reducing headsets are provided in Business Class; these are retrieved by crew about an hour prior to landing.

A self-service snack bar is set up in the galley for Business class.

Lavatories seem more open and spacious, and offer higher volume sink basins.

Related threads
Aircraft guide: Which 777-200ER / 772 / 777? (As of 11 Dec 2018)
772 Refitted 777-200ER B/E Aerospace Super Diamond Business Seat / Seats
Best 772 Zodiac J Refitted 777-200ER MCE and Economy / Coach Seat / Seats
Best 772 B/E Aerospace J Refitted 777-200ER MCE & Economy / Coach Seat / Seats

Print Wikipost

Best Business Seat 777-200 “777” C37 Zodiac (Aft & Fwd) Business

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2017, 4:59 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Djokison
Keep in mind row 7 is still a decent amount further away from the galley and lavatories than row 6. Row 6 is literally attached to them, whereas row 7 has the #2 doors and walk up bar as a buffer.
So as a couple, would 7L/8L be preferable to 1L/2L (which we have now)? Or are the forward-facing D/H pairs now considered to be better for couples? The whole "divider up, divider down, rear vs. front" seems very mixed even now.

We head out in a little more than a week and a bunch of seats are still open (30 of 45) so lots of choices.

Oh, and the flight is C0, of course

Cheers.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brp
So as a couple, would 7L/8L be preferable to 1L/2L (which we have now)? Or are the forward-facing D/H pairs now considered to be better for couples? The whole "divider up, divider down, rear vs. front" seems very mixed even now.

We head out in a little more than a week and a bunch of seats are still open (30 of 45) so lots of choices.

Cheers.
Same question. Just put a BCN-MIA on hold and picked the 1L 2L without knowing anything about the issues these seats have. Now I found this thread but after reading quite a bit still am confused - is it true that the non-connected seats are only single rows so even if you pick 7L, the 8L would still be connected to 9L?
Old Feb 7, 2017, 10:04 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by brp

Cheers.
Originally Posted by Happy
Same question. Just put a BCN-MIA on hold and picked the 1L 2L without knowing anything about the issues these seats have. Now I found this thread but after reading quite a bit still am confused - is it true that the non-connected seats are only single rows so even if you pick 7L, the 8L would still be connected to 9L?
Many prefer aft facing seats. The motion key is seats "connected at the head", for example in this SeatGuru chart.
Attached Images  
Old Feb 7, 2017, 10:11 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JDiver
Many prefer aft facing seats. The motion key is seats "connected at the head", for example in this SeatGuru chart.
Based on this, then, the apparent conclusion is that 1D&H are the only close-proximity pair suitable for a couple based on the "connected at the head" criterion. Given that that limits things too much, it's likely not the best metric to use since it allows for only one pair.

So, passing on that criterion, what are the best sets given that "connected at the head" with a non-travel-partner seems inevitable?

Edit: The response above is based on the original content of the quoted post (now seemingly gone) that referenced the Wiki as indicating that 1A&D&H; 7A&L; 12A&L are the non"connected at the head" seats, which is limiting for couples.

So, the question still remains...

Cheers.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 10:19 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
You could take 8L/9L. That way, you could be polite to each other and attempt to be a "gentle" mover.

Or, each of you takes a non-connected, and enjoy some "me" time.

Or, one of you takes a connected; the other takes a non-connected. Change seats if one of you is "suer-sensitive" to the motion thing.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 10:20 pm
Suspended

Rermenber that they are in the process of fixing these, and, that depending on who ya ask, the condition varies, etc:

Mapston characterises this work as “to firm up the attachments to the seat tracks and to the base frames that the seats are positioned on. On the 777 version of the seat and the 787 version of that seat, because of the different width and the positioning of the seat track within the aircraft, it is a little bit of a different experience, and a different experience on different areas of the aircraft. There are certain seats on 787 where that condition is a little bit more pronounced than it is on other areas. On the 777, it’s less pronounced. So when we introduced it on the 777 we did not get the feedback or the complaints of that phenomenon like we did when the 787 was introduced. I don’t want to downplay it as an issue that we are certainly concerned with. I don’t want to say it’s not as bad as people say it is, but the truth of the matter is that it isn’t affected on all seats on most of these aircraft.”
https://runwaygirlnetwork.com/2016/1...787-777-200er/
Old Feb 7, 2017, 10:24 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jcatman
You could take 8L/9L. That way, you could be polite to each other and attempt to be a "gentle" mover.
I just get the sense, from looking at the images, that something like 8L/9L would result in a difficulty in being interactive. We would be fine being in a joined pair, but it is not clear just how possible it is for the heads to see one another. With two facing seats (like 7L/8L) it seems easier to interact. But then there's the varied connectedness issue.

First world problems, indeed

Cheers.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brp
Based on this, then, the apparent conclusion is that 1D&H are the only close-proximity pair suitable for a couple based on the "connected at the head" criterion. Given that that limits things too much, it's likely not the best metric to use since it allows for only one pair.

So, passing on that criterion, what are the best sets given that "connected at the head" with a non-travel-partner seems inevitable?

Edit: The response above is based on the original content of the quoted post (now seemingly gone) that referenced the Wiki as indicating that 1A&D&H; 7A&L; 12A&L are the non"connected at the head" seats, which is limiting for couples.

Cheers.
In other words there are very few good seats which are only good for solo travelers to begin with.

This reminds me of the refurbished 767 J seats which are very similar to Air Canada's "new" J cabin implemented a couple years ago - the only good seats in my book are the SINGLE seats that have side table space on each side of the seat IIRC and there are only 4 in the whole J cabin. We chose to take the single seat despite we would be one row apart.

I still dont understand why rear facing seats are preferred.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 10:26 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by brp

Cheers.
1D-H are connected at the head, though differently than the others. I'm unwilling to say they're good or bad until someone posts their experiences, so I edited the Wikipost after looking at seat charts (and including both high and low J charts in post #1).

Though AA has announced these will be stiffened in some way, thecFAA will have to ultimately issue an STC, in my experience a major deal.

"Supplemental Type Certificates. A supplemental type certificate (STC) is a type certificate (TC) issued when an applicant has received FAA approval to modify an aeronautical product from its original design." (FAA) (link)

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 7, 2017 at 10:52 pm
Old Feb 7, 2017, 11:10 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Enterprise PLT, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by wrp96
Flew in seat 1H Sunday night EZE-DFW. I liked the seat, although as a short person I feel for anybody tall as it would definitely be short. I'm pretty wide s don't didn't feel like I was hemmed in - although I sleep on my side so that may help.

Biggest issue is the seat back wasn't working, which I didn't realize until I went to go to sleep (up until that point I just thought it was really uncomfortable in seat mode). Three of the flight attendants worked on it for 15 minutes to get it to work. Of course when I went to sit back up, I had issues again as well but managed to succeed on getting it back up without help.

From discussions with the FAs, this is definitely not their favorite seat. They had to work on at least one other seat that flight.
Maybe I didn't notice as much, maybe I'm just a deep sleeper, or maybe I was lucky and had someone attached who didn't move much, but I barely noticed much difference with these connected seats. I have flown on this type 3 times now and even when awake, didn't notice all that much.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
1D-H are connected at the head, though differently than the others. I'm unwilling to say they're good or bad until someone posts their experiences, so I edited the Wikipost after looking at seat charts (and including both high and low J charts in post #1).
In December, I sat in 1D from ICN-DFW. Did not feel one bit of movement from the individual in 1H. Your heads are close together, but the center divider was in the UP position (as were all of the center dividers in the forward J cabin), so the privacy factor was satisfactory and appreciated.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 2:02 am

I still dont understand why rear facing seats are preferred.
More room, table on both sides, head further away from the aisle/more private, due to the slight upward angle of the plane, your head is more elevated than your feet.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 7:44 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In other words there are very few good seats which are only good for solo travelers to begin with.
And still not clear whether 7/8J are better or worse than 1/2J.

Cheers.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 9:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP/CK 2M+
I am tall but can deal with the length of the seats. It's the width that's an issue, they are quite narrow.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 12:25 am

Originally Posted by brp
And still not clear whether 7/8J are better or worse than 1/2J.

Cheers.
J?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.