Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Best Business Seat 777-200 “777” C37 Zodiac (Aft & Fwd) Business

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 17, 2015, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WindowSeatFlyer
NOTE: Discussion here is for the Boeing 777-200ERs refitted with the Zodiac "Concept D" Business Suite (forward and aft facing seats) only.
See the (unofficial) American Fleet Site list for configuration by registration numbers here.

Forward facing seats are overlooked by rear facing occupants across the aisle
Forward facing seats have one armrest (aisle side of seat)
Rear facing seats do not have armrests leading to a "bathtub" effect
Rear facing seats are preferred by many fliers for greater shoulder space
Forward facing seats require use of a shoulder strap in addition to the seat lap belt during takeoff and landing operations

Seat 1A is blocked for pilot rest on flights > 8 hours.
Seats 7A and 7L have restricted views (window blank)
Seats 1A, 1D, 1H, 7A, 7L, 10A, and 10L are not coupled to neighbouring seats and are reported to be less susceptible to "rocking" and "knocking"
Seats 10D and 10H are overlooked by occupants in 13B and 13J respectively.
Seats 5A and 6L are overlooked by galley occupants
Seats 10A and 10L are close to Premium Economy bassinets

Cabin overhead storage bins are capacious and when closed give the aircraft a more open, spacious feel.

In-suite storage is minimal, consisting of a niche with "fence" capable of holding a mobile phone connected to one of the two USB ports and a small area below seat level capable of holding a water bottle and small item. (two 110V AC with a "universal" plug socket is also provided.)

The area under the footrest (too small to be called an ottoman) might be able to store a purse or small item.

General fit and finish has been described as fair at best, with some gaps, misfits, etc.

IFE is AVOD and operates from a hand control. The spacious screen is hinged and can not be tilted vertically.

WiFi is Panasonic satellite international WiFi

Bang & Olufsen noise reducing headsets are provided in Business Class; these are retrieved by crew about an hour prior to landing.

A self-service snack bar is set up in the galley for Business class.

Lavatories seem more open and spacious, and offer higher volume sink basins.

Related threads
Aircraft guide: Which 777-200ER / 772 / 777? (As of 11 Dec 2018)
772 Refitted 777-200ER B/E Aerospace Super Diamond Business Seat / Seats
Best 772 Zodiac J Refitted 777-200ER MCE and Economy / Coach Seat / Seats
Best 772 B/E Aerospace J Refitted 777-200ER MCE & Economy / Coach Seat / Seats

Print Wikipost

Best Business Seat 777-200 “777” C37 Zodiac (Aft & Fwd) Business

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2016, 8:15 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Explorist, UA 1MM
Originally Posted by footastic
..Purser came by and apologised..Offered us 20000 miles each..
Wow. That is a highly conscientious purser and a very nice goodwill gesture. Such front-line empowerment and discretion is great to see.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 2:27 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by cmd320
AA designed that seat to meet their criteria. Mainly, to cram as many of them into a small space as possible. If they were not happy with the performance of it after installing it on a few aircraft, why continue? In hopes that one day Zodiac would have delivery issues they could capitalize on? Furthermore, do you really believe they wanted to have four different configurations of 772 flying around now, and three for the foreseeable future with different J products? The whole scenario screams incompetence on the part of Zodiac and inattention to detail on the part of AA.
While AA gave specifications, I highly doubt engineers at AA designed the seat. I bet that was zodiac. It isn't always as easy as, "this isn't performing to spec. Cancel the contract and start over."

I do agree with your last sentence 100% though.

FWIW - Purser came by and apologised said that unfortunately the issues are common with the seats locking. Offered us 20000 miles each. The issues with these things must be pretty common to come out with an offer like that right away.
Nice! BA sometimes have the power to do this on their iPads and it's nice to see AA be proactive. I hope your flight was nice otherwise, and yes, that controller being upside will drive me nuts too. Just a silly design oversight, though perhaps not as bad as UA's new HD777 where the flight attendant call button is on the armrest! My next 772 flight is a daytime flight as well, but I still hope there's no seat issues, we booked row 1 to avoid the shaking issue.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 5:37 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by airb330
That's not quite a fair comment to JonNYC IMO. If anyone knew more of the actual details, he'd be one of the posters here who would know.
And, that is the case, of course. I know tons more than I'm able to post on the subject-- tons.

Originally Posted by airb330
While AA gave specifications, I highly doubt engineers at AA designed the seat.
Actually, in this instance, it -is- the case that AA designed the seat.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 6:31 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond/ Hyatt top tier(lifetime)
hopefully I was just unlucky today with the seat locking down. I am going to be on routes with these seats about 15 times in the next couple months.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 2:12 pm

What is the consensus: the best rear-facing window business class seat on this plane?
Old Aug 14, 2016, 5:31 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
hopefully I was just unlucky today with the seat locking down. I am going to be on routes with these seats about 15 times in the next couple months.
There is a reset switch underneath the main cushion and then a metal flap. Lift both up then toggle a switch off for a few seconds then back on. Worked for me on a round-trip a few months ago when the seat kept failing.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 4:01 pm
dll

Programs: AA Gold (prev. Ex Plat for 10 years); DL Plat; UA Gold; Hilton Diamond
Was notified today that AA are putting a CIP (Zodiac, at least for now) 777 on one of their two daily LAX-LHR flights in November. I'm booked on this in November was very much looking forward to the wonderful 77W, my favorite in the AA fleet (and probably top 3 favorite biz class products globally).

It's on the later flight (135 and 136). Seems to be only November 1-15ish from what I can surmise from Expertflyer. Perhaps a 77W offline for C or D check?
Old Aug 15, 2016, 7:45 pm

Programs: LFFRS BOD
Is there a place to check which AA flights will use this Boeing 777-200 (777) V2?
I am on a flight from Miami to Santiago and it's using the V1 version.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 12:35 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
The wiki here

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...iscussion.html

says MIA-SCL (hence SCL-MIA) are now the new configuration (effective a month ago); and having just flown it, I can confirm that that is true. Did you just draw a bad date/plane? Flight Radar 24 will let you check which plane is flying / has been flying?

The seats are not as comfortable as those in the LUS A330s -- they are narrower but, mostly, shorter (like a 6'1" rather than 6'4" to 6'8" stretch [height of passenger]). Still, not a bad way to fly (sleep).
Old Aug 16, 2016, 12:44 pm

Programs: LFFRS BOD
Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
The wiki here

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...iscussion.html

says MIA-SCL (hence SCL-MIA) are now the new configuration (effective a month ago); and having just flown it, I can confirm that that is true. Did you just draw a bad date/plane? Flight Radar 24 will let you check which plane is flying / has been flying?

The seats are not as comfortable as those in the LUS A330s -- they are narrower but, mostly, shorter (like a 6'1" rather than 6'4" to 6'8" stretch [height of passenger]). Still, not a bad way to fly (sleep).
I booked back in January and I keep checking to see if there is a plane change and there is none. Flight is Nov. 16th , thanks for the info.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 5:30 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by michael_v
What is the consensus: the best rear-facing window business class seat on this plane?
Left side of the plane, forward cabin. 3A is my choice for night flights (further from the gallies) and 5A for day flights (no one looking at you from fwd-facing seat across the aisle.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by econometrics
Left side of the plane, forward cabin. 3A is my choice for night flights (further from the gallies) and 5A for day flights (no one looking at you from fwd-facing seat across the aisle.
Thanks!
Old Aug 17, 2016, 1:01 pm

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by econometrics
Forward cabin makes sense to me but is there a reason you prefer the left side of the plane?
Old Aug 17, 2016, 1:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by geo1005
Forward cabin makes sense to me but is there a reason you prefer the left side of the plane?
The way the window and center aisle seats align on the LEFT side of the plane is better than on the right.

Take a look at the Seat Guru map, which is accurate on how the seats actually align and you will see what I mean... https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Am..._777-200_B.php

Notice how the heads and footrests line up together on the left side, but it's opposite on the right? This means there's more space between your face and another person's face on the left side. In fact, in some seats on the left side, you cannot even see another person's face. More private, IMO.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 7:33 am

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Great explanation! ^ Thanks for the reply. I am in 2L in a few weeks (day flight) so not too worried about privacy. If 3A is open, I'll switch.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.