Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Best Business Seat 777-200 “777” C37 Zodiac (Aft & Fwd) Business

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 17, 2015, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WindowSeatFlyer
NOTE: Discussion here is for the Boeing 777-200ERs refitted with the Zodiac "Concept D" Business Suite (forward and aft facing seats) only.
See the (unofficial) American Fleet Site list for configuration by registration numbers here.

Forward facing seats are overlooked by rear facing occupants across the aisle
Forward facing seats have one armrest (aisle side of seat)
Rear facing seats do not have armrests leading to a "bathtub" effect
Rear facing seats are preferred by many fliers for greater shoulder space
Forward facing seats require use of a shoulder strap in addition to the seat lap belt during takeoff and landing operations

Seat 1A is blocked for pilot rest on flights > 8 hours.
Seats 7A and 7L have restricted views (window blank)
Seats 1A, 1D, 1H, 7A, 7L, 10A, and 10L are not coupled to neighbouring seats and are reported to be less susceptible to "rocking" and "knocking"
Seats 10D and 10H are overlooked by occupants in 13B and 13J respectively.
Seats 5A and 6L are overlooked by galley occupants
Seats 10A and 10L are close to Premium Economy bassinets

Cabin overhead storage bins are capacious and when closed give the aircraft a more open, spacious feel.

In-suite storage is minimal, consisting of a niche with "fence" capable of holding a mobile phone connected to one of the two USB ports and a small area below seat level capable of holding a water bottle and small item. (two 110V AC with a "universal" plug socket is also provided.)

The area under the footrest (too small to be called an ottoman) might be able to store a purse or small item.

General fit and finish has been described as fair at best, with some gaps, misfits, etc.

IFE is AVOD and operates from a hand control. The spacious screen is hinged and can not be tilted vertically.

WiFi is Panasonic satellite international WiFi

Bang & Olufsen noise reducing headsets are provided in Business Class; these are retrieved by crew about an hour prior to landing.

A self-service snack bar is set up in the galley for Business class.

Lavatories seem more open and spacious, and offer higher volume sink basins.

Related threads
Aircraft guide: Which 777-200ER / 772 / 777? (As of 11 Dec 2018)
772 Refitted 777-200ER B/E Aerospace Super Diamond Business Seat / Seats
Best 772 Zodiac J Refitted 777-200ER MCE and Economy / Coach Seat / Seats
Best 772 B/E Aerospace J Refitted 777-200ER MCE & Economy / Coach Seat / Seats

Print Wikipost

Best Business Seat 777-200 “777” C37 Zodiac (Aft & Fwd) Business

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2016, 10:37 pm

Any opinions on seat 1A please? Is the restroom immediately behind the seat?

Also surprised to see that this seat is not blocked on LHR-JFK but is blocked on the (shorter) JFK-LHR flights.
Old May 9, 2016, 9:09 am

Took the AA 45 777 200ER Paris to JFK flight in J yesterday. Couple of observations below:
Good
- Plane has Wifi
- IFE is updated so no galaxy tablet but the 13 inch inbuilt screen.
- Prefer the Forward facing seats as more width.
Bad
- The dividers were universally up for all seats. Was told that customer break these so the policy is not to permanently keep them up.
- Also avoid booking 2A or 1L as they are booked for captains and I was moved to a middle seat from my originally booked 2A.
Old May 10, 2016, 1:39 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BAEC Silver, Marriott Platinum, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Abhinavt
Took the AA 45 777 200ER Paris to JFK flight in J yesterday. Couple of observations below:
Good
- Plane has Wifi
- IFE is updated so no galaxy tablet but the 13 inch inbuilt screen.
- Prefer the Forward facing seats as more width.
Bad
- The dividers were universally up for all seats. Was told that customer break these so the policy is not to permanently keep them up.
- Also avoid booking 2A or 1L as they are booked for captains and I was moved to a middle seat from my originally booked 2A.
1L also booked for captain rest? I had understood per previous posts that only 1A was...

I have 1L booked for a trip in a couple of weeks so now thinking whether I should reconsider this in light of the above
Old May 10, 2016, 5:42 am

Originally Posted by JFSV
1L also booked for captain rest? I had understood per previous posts that only 1A was...

I have 1L booked for a trip in a couple of weeks so now thinking whether I should reconsider this in light of the above
My flight seemed to be an exception as the purser told me that there were 4 captains traveling in the plane that day.
Just to be sure, I avoid a similar situation of being moved from my seat in the future, I went ahead and selected the corner forward facing seat in row 4 on my other flights that are are upcoming
Old May 12, 2016, 9:32 pm

Programs: AA 1.6MM EXP; UA GS; SPG LTG,Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Would welcome any recommendations for rear-facing window seats. Am in 3A at the moment but 6L, as well as 7AL, 9AL and 11AL are all open at the moment. It's a night flight but I do like looking out during taxi takeoff and landing. Want to avoid any missing windows mostly.

Also, any benefit in the front cabin vs. the one aft of door 2? Arriving into LHR on AA104; I've generally seen them open door 2L first but I've only ever come in on the 77W in the past so not sure if this is different.

TIA
Old May 13, 2016, 8:05 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by JonNYC
I'm a little foggy on it, but I *thought* it was reported that now some are locked in the up, others locked in the down position.
Please read my post above, with newly bolder center privacy divider information.

There is no consistency to how the center seat pair privacy dividers are locked; the configuration is arbitrarily determined by ground personnel and varies with each individual aircraft.

On "my" 772 (as AA now lists these) even were up, odd were down but 12 were down as well. Others may have the opposite (odd up, even down), or all up or all down.

There is no way to know the configuration in advance without a chart of aircraft registration numbers ("tail numbers") and listing of configuration (we don't have one on FT, and I've not seen one elsewhere.) I imagine the setting doesn't get redone for each aircraft because there would be no need and it would cost man hours.
Old May 14, 2016, 8:35 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
Originally Posted by scnzzz
Would welcome any recommendations for rear-facing window seats. Am in 3A at the moment but 6L, as well as 7AL, 9AL and 11AL are all open at the moment. It's a night flight but I do like looking out during taxi takeoff and landing. Want to avoid any missing windows mostly.

Also, any benefit in the front cabin vs. the one aft of door 2? Arriving into LHR on AA104; I've generally seen them open door 2L first but I've only ever come in on the 77W in the past so not sure if this is different.

TIA
6L is the absolute worst seat. This seat directly faces the galley, and you'll be treated with all the light, sound and smell emanating from there throughout the flight. It also borders on the lavatory, and you'll feel it whenever the flush is operated... stay away from that one. See more elaborate post about that here.

Front cabin has the advantage of getting served first, which will give you more time for precious sleep on that short route.
I would stay in 3A.
Old May 14, 2016, 7:27 pm

Programs: AA 1.6MM EXP; UA GS; SPG LTG,Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by bhomburg
6L is the absolute worst seat. This seat directly faces the galley, and you'll be treated with all the light, sound and smell emanating from there throughout the flight. It also borders on the lavatory, and you'll feel it whenever the flush is operated... stay away from that one. See more elaborate post about that here.

Front cabin has the advantage of getting served first, which will give you more time for precious sleep on that short route.
I would stay in 3A.
Thanks! Will keep 3A
Old May 15, 2016, 6:24 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Short seat review

I had my first experience of this seat yesterday. Initially I was seated in 2L, but the seat malfunctioned; it would not move most of the time, just made mechanical click noises as if something had hit an end stop. Fortunately the flight was not full, so I could move to 1H. This was disappointing, for an almost new installation. Other than that failure, everything else was fairly clean, in good condition, and worked. Both of these seats are rear-facing. Each seat gets, on average, slightly less than one overhead bin each. Storage space in the bins per seat does not seem to be a problem at all.

This flight was LHR-JFK, but seat 1A was still blocked for pilot rest even though the flight is less than 8 hours (I don't object to that, I am only noting the fact).

2L looked great from a vertical position. The view out of the window for takeoff was excellent, and there was room to put things on the flat surfaces on both sides. Privacy was quite good, I felt.

1H was less good from a privacy point of view; you're looking directly at the side of the occupant of 1L. Great if they're your child or other loved one, mediocre if they're some dude you don't know and don't feel like staring at for 7 hours. The seat divider between 1H and 1D was up when I sat down and I didn't try to move it; I was happy with it up.

The seat is, overall, fairly cramped. There is a storage cubbyhole at the seat level at once side, where the headphones can go or other small things, and you can get away with a tablet or small laptop in the magazine drawer on the other side. Other than that the only storage that isn't a slippery surface is the cubby hole behind the horizontal bars in the central vertical console, next to the USB sockets. You can fit a phone, ipad, glasses, etc there but not much else. There is not a lot of floor storage room, because of how the seat narrows at the foot. You can't even put the pillow on the "ottoman" without it sliding off, the ottoman is so small.

The slippery table surface is a problem. Friction with anything smooth is very low, so things slide off too easily. My iPad (in the old F amenity kit iPad case) slid off and crashed to the floor while I was settling into the seat, for example. You couldn't leave a hard-sided phone, glasses, or similar on there safely in any turbulence or during takeoff or landing. I mentioned it to one of the crew who commented she hands out plenty of napkins with all drinks to help avoid them sliding around. Frankly I would be inclined to try to bring a rubber grip mat in future, something like https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000UEZ36W/.

The seat is comfortable to sit in, and to lounge in. When the main table is down, you are stuck there for the duration. Use the lavatory before dining! The table rises out of the side of the seat and unfolds in the middle, so you can have the table half open if you wish, but even then you're not going to get out of the seat with the half table down unless you're particularly small and thin. You could move things off the table to the side
table parts of the seat, but note the friction comments above.

In horizontal position it is flat and fairly well padded (somewhat better padded than the Cirrus seat, I feel). While I could lie down (I am 187cm long), I had little freedom of movement at either head or feet when doing so. It was, as I say, somewhat cramped.

IFE is good, the screen is big enough and swings forward when the release button is pressed. It has similar content and interface to the 77W IFE, probably 100 AVOD films, good map that can be displayed on the hand controller while the main screen shows a film, etc. Bose noise cancelling head phones are provided, and collected sometime before landing. There are 2 USB sockets and two ecumenical 110V mains sockets - very useful.

Comparing it to another forward and rear facing seating common on this route, British Airways' Club World seat, it's mixed. The aisle access is nice, and some people are obsessed with aisle access. There are more flat surfaces for storage on the AA seat, but they are made less useful by being too slippery to use for anything precious. Meanwhile there is almost no enclosed or retained storage on the AA seat, so CW actually wins there despite there being only the small drawer! In terms of padding and seating for lounging, they are about even. For space when sleeping, CW is better, with much more foot and head room. CW screen size is smaller than AA screen size but still adequate. AA has twice as many device power options as CW and the AA sockets are better positioned than with CW. AA table is much bigger, but impossible to get out past when open. CW table is smaller but you can get out past it. CW has a lot more space on the floor to put a bag in-flight than AA. Comparing the two, it's interesting how the 15-year-old CW design compares so well with the AA seat for a high density business layout, and that shows up the compromises in the AA seat compared to a truly modern layout like Cirrus.

Overall: the AA seat is competent.
Old May 16, 2016, 12:30 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Originally Posted by bosman
See post #127 above. I have flown in 7L and did not find 7H overly intrusive visually. I think it depends on seat position and angle. I'm a fan of 7L to avoid feeling my neighbor's movements.
Originally Posted by kthpence
I just sat in 7L (pretty much the same seat at 7A), and didn't experience the rocking issue at all. The seat feels very private - I didn't feel like I was staring at the person in 7H, although she oddly kept staring at me... Still, I don't really understand the complaints about the setup - is the 77W better? Probably. But the 772 is still better than UA and DL international J, IMO.
Okay, so in early August MIA-SCL-MIA we are in J on what looks to be a 772 (please wise me up if I am wrong ... supposition on basis of the 772 aircraft changeover thread). By "we" I mean spouse and I. I'll admit to still being quite fond of her and I hope she feels the same. Nonetheless, we don't need to talk to each other on long flights, much less overnight.

After reading the thread, I'm thinking that 7L will be good for one of us; what do we pair it with?

Or do we go elsewhere? I'm 6'2" (I'd be 6'3" if I were still single and thus prone to lie), and when I'm not lying metaphorically but am lying down, I can use some room. I realize I'm not going to get the equivalent of 1H on an A332 (weird how good all of the bad-old, second-rate airline, LUS stuff is), but if one seat is better than another, would be nice to know.
Old May 16, 2016, 12:55 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
Okay, so in early August MIA-SCL-MIA we are in J on what looks to be a 772 (please wise me up if I am wrong ... supposition on basis of the 772 aircraft changeover thread). By "we" I mean spouse and I. I'll admit to still being quite fond of her and I hope she feels the same. Nonetheless, we don't need to talk to each other on long flights, much less overnight.

After reading the thread, I'm thinking that 7L will be good for one of us; what do we pair it with?

Or do we go elsewhere? I'm 6'2" (I'd be 6'3" if I were still single and thus prone to lie), and when I'm not lying metaphorically but am lying down, I can use some room. I realize I'm not going to get the equivalent of 1H on an A332 (weird how good all of the bad-old, second-rate airline, LUS stuff is), but if one seat is better than another, would be nice to know.
Personally, given the ludicrous state of the center seat pair privacy screens, 8L. Though the forward cabin is more distant from the wing / engine, ergo a bit quieter, and is not sharing cabin space with economy (the aft J cabin and Y cabin are separated by partial bulkheads, screen curtains and a "window" in the center bulkhead that is opened for takeoff and landing - at least), so I'd go for something like 1L+2L, etc. Or A, other than perhaps 1A because of the lav and galley and 6L.

I'm 193 cm and caught some good kip in 8H DFW-LHR.
Old May 16, 2016, 3:35 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Originally Posted by Geauxtigers
Just sat in 1L on a DFW-MIA flight and I did not fit when the seat was in the fully flat position. I'm 6' 2" and skinny so would not recommend an overnight flight to anyone over 6'. Maybe the other seats in the cabin are better for persons of height but 1L is not a good choice for anyone tall.
Huh. I'm 6'6" and fit fine in the new seats - plenty of length. Can lay on my back without my knees bent. Then again, I've only flown the 787 (window side) - not sure if there is a a difference in configuration between the aircraft.
Old May 17, 2016, 5:39 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by SNA_Flyer
Huh. I'm 6'6" and fit fine in the new seats - plenty of length. Can lay on my back without my knees bent. Then again, I've only flown the 787 (window side) - not sure if there is a a difference in configuration between the aircraft.
I'm pretty confident you would not be able to lie flat without bending somewhere on the 772 Zodiac-D seat. It's about 6'2" long (and not very wide at the foot, so you have to have your feet together).
Old May 17, 2016, 7:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Biggie Fries

I recommend 1H + 1L. You'll have a good view of each other. There is no toilet on that side in the front so there will be very little foot traffic. You'll be served first so you can get to sleep faster.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 5:46 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by bosman
I believe the following seats are not connected to any other, so eliminates the "neighbor movement" concern:

1 A, D, H
7 A, D, H, L
12 A, D, H, L
I think this information should go on the wiki. Can someone confirm it's correct?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.