Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2015, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
AAdvantage eShoppping by Cartera Commerce
Using, earning miles, problems, etc. (Consolidated thread)

American Airlines is not the contact for Cartera / AAdvantage eShopping .

AAdvantage eShopping FAQs and an e-contact form can be found via the "Contact Us" link at the bottom left corner of the home page.

If you have trouble getting purchases to track, there's also a browser extension to help.

Cartera website: http://www.cartera.com

Cartera Commerce, Inc.
One Cranberry Hill
Lexington, Massachusetts 02421

Tel. (781) 541-6800 Fax: (781) 541-6801

For general inquiries, please contact [email protected] or 888.456.6255
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST (Please do not alter contents following)

This thread is the sole thread to address issues with AAdvantage eShopping (operated by Cartera Commerce). Other queries or complaints will invariably end up merged into this thread. All posts must comply with FlyerTalk Guidelines and Rules / TOS, or may be summarily deleted or edited by moderators.

A related article, highlighting an interview of Cartera Commerce CEO Tom Bercher, is "Secrets of Cartera Commerce Revealed: Inside the Company that Brings You Miles for Online Shopping" by Gary Leff on March 3, 2014. Link.

As described in this thread, AAdvantage Shopping now offers a downloadable button installable on your desktop (not mobile) device to facilitate e-shopping. Link.

Older posts may be read at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...or-consol.html

Notes about Giftcards.com:
  • A separate thread exists for discussing Giftcards.com and likely has more data points than this generic thread.
  • Purchases from giftcards.com earn miles on the first $2,000 spent in the named calendar month, meaning for example between March 1st and March 31st. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • Giftcards.com has had various limits over the years, and it was always by calendar month.
  • Some data points show the $2,000 monthly limit is not always enforced. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • In 2022, larger orders track more slowly, and you may need to wait a full month to see miles. Strong advice from the thread is to make multiple small purchases (say under $300) rather than large ones to avoid the dreaded "manual review"
(Copied from the LP thread wiki): Once you click through the AAdvantage eShopping portal to a vendor offer and make a purchase, you will eventually get the associated miles posted to your AAdvantage account as both redeemable miles and Loyalty Points. If the merchant advertises an increase in the miles per dollar spent, you'll earn the higher amount in both redeemable miles and an equal number of Loyalty Points. The same applies if a merchant advertises a higher fixed amount per purchase, rather than a per dollar amount. Examples of this would appear on the portal as, "Extra miles. Was 1 mile/$. Now earn 3 miles/$" or "Extra miles. Was up to 3700 miles. Now up to 6200 miles." However, if the website advertises a "Limited-time bonus offer" for "bonus miles" after meeting a spending threshold, that bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points. If a bonus is offered for some site-wide activity such as 1000 miles for installing an extension, or 500 miles for enrolling in the portal, or 2000 miles for meeting a spending threshold across multiple merchants, the bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points.

Some anti-virus software silently blocks tracking, and you may want to consider disabling it for your purchase.
Print Wikipost

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2022, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by Antarius
There isn't. Periodically there are discounts on the GCs (a 5% recently, for example) that end up making the fee moot.

Currently it's like paying 5.99 for 768 LPs.

Ok Thanks. so a better deal than the motley fool one which was like 80 bux for 7500. this one is 60 bux for 7680.
Old Oct 13, 2022, 12:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by trojanmana
Ok Thanks. so a better deal than the motley fool one which was like 80 bux for 7500. this one is 60 bux for 7680.
Plus the cost / time spent liquidating them.

If the Motley Fool promo was repeatable then I’d be doing that all day long before I go buying thousands of dollars worth of gift cards.
Old Oct 13, 2022, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by coleslaw

If the Motley Fool promo was repeatable then I’d be doing that all day long before I go buying thousands of dollars worth of gift cards.

Thanks for the help. So the trick is to buy one card at a time. and 2k max a month or until 3% promo runs out. then use them to pay utility bills.
Old Oct 13, 2022, 1:45 pm

Programs: Asiana Club Diamond (*G), AA PPro (OWE), Korean Air Skypass MC (STE)
Originally Posted by trojanmana
Thanks for the reply. so if i buy a virtual visa card I have to pay the 5.99 fee per $250. no way to get around
Use a cash back card instead of an AA branded card. You’ll only get 3x points instead of 3x plus spend but bring the fee down to 88c for example on a 2% card. 🤷‍♂️ Depends what your points vs spend threshold is
Old Oct 13, 2022, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by LittleBird
Use a cash back card instead of an AA branded card. You’ll only get 3x points instead of 3x plus spend but bring the fee down to 88c for example on a 2% card. 🤷‍♂️ Depends what your points vs spend threshold is

I see. So I don't have to use my AA card. I can use any card and still get the 3x AA points.

Klick link, buy card with cap1 venture. get 2% cash back AND the 3x AA points.
Klick link, buy GC with chase freedom, get 1.5% points AND 3x AA points.
LittleBird likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2022, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
No issues here getting GC points. Posted next day after ordering.

Chewy.com was 2 days later, but still quick.

There will occasionally be bonuses for adding lines to AT&T. I added one for my wife's business line and got 7400 points, 2x normal. Got the points before the phone even showed up.
Antarius likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2022, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist

Your mailbox would basically be full in 1 day if you had multiple Motley Fool subscriptions

With utilities and PayPal, it's super easy to liquidate GCs. But yes, it does take effort to manage them and not forget anything.
Old Oct 13, 2022, 6:29 pm

Programs: Alaska, AA, Marriott

between loading them to Amazon and the 7-11 app for gas, there’s no time spent liquidating them for me.
Old Oct 13, 2022, 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by MoonOverMiami
If you go to the offers page (on the AA side) it lists 27 different offers, and they include both DirecTV and DirecTV Stream options. It all seems to be covered, but if you're concerned just click on one of the Stream offers that would take you straight from the AA shopping portal to the four DirecTV Stream options. And make sure you're fine with those 90 days, as it means you'd be paying for at least three months of the service (and the points wouldn't hit your account until January one would think).
Correcting my earlier advice. I signed up 15 days ago to a DirecTV Stream plan. I know it was supposed to be a 90-day wait, but wanted to make sure I wasn't wasting my money or time, and asked about it. According to the shopping portal's response, the streaming packages are NOT valid since it only states for satellite services.

After reviewing your e-receipt, we noticed that the service purchased on DIRECTV STREAM order #XX-XXXXX is listed as ineligible to receive rewards per the merchant’s terms and conditions because it is not DIRECTV STREAM Satellite service packages. Therefore, no rewards will be posted to your account.
I don't get it. DirecTV Stream is only for the streaming services. There isn't as far as I can tell a DirecTV Stream service. I had done this deal a year ago through Rakuten and it wasn't a problem. Maybe the rep was wrong. Maybe I'm wrong. Either way, disregard my advice earlier about it working.
Old Oct 14, 2022, 12:23 am

And ... it's gone. Giftcards.com is back to 1x.
Old Oct 14, 2022, 8:10 am

sad
Old Oct 14, 2022, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Got 7 cards in. Almost!
Old Oct 14, 2022, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
I got some in a few minutes before midnight...changes happen at midnight EST, so don't postpone for the next day if you are sure you want to buy.
Old Oct 18, 2022, 2:03 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Sephora is 4x per $ for those who have wives who like makeup. You know like me.
355F1 likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2022, 11:06 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
If I prepay for a hotel stay in advance, and it's non-refundable would I receive the AA LP's earned via AAShopping (Cartera) pre-stay or do you still receive them after your stay?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.