Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2015, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
AAdvantage eShoppping by Cartera Commerce
Using, earning miles, problems, etc. (Consolidated thread)

American Airlines is not the contact for Cartera / AAdvantage eShopping .

AAdvantage eShopping FAQs and an e-contact form can be found via the "Contact Us" link at the bottom left corner of the home page.

If you have trouble getting purchases to track, there's also a browser extension to help.

Cartera website: http://www.cartera.com

Cartera Commerce, Inc.
One Cranberry Hill
Lexington, Massachusetts 02421

Tel. (781) 541-6800 Fax: (781) 541-6801

For general inquiries, please contact [email protected] or 888.456.6255
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST (Please do not alter contents following)

This thread is the sole thread to address issues with AAdvantage eShopping (operated by Cartera Commerce). Other queries or complaints will invariably end up merged into this thread. All posts must comply with FlyerTalk Guidelines and Rules / TOS, or may be summarily deleted or edited by moderators.

A related article, highlighting an interview of Cartera Commerce CEO Tom Bercher, is "Secrets of Cartera Commerce Revealed: Inside the Company that Brings You Miles for Online Shopping" by Gary Leff on March 3, 2014. Link.

As described in this thread, AAdvantage Shopping now offers a downloadable button installable on your desktop (not mobile) device to facilitate e-shopping. Link.

Older posts may be read at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...or-consol.html

Notes about Giftcards.com:
  • A separate thread exists for discussing Giftcards.com and likely has more data points than this generic thread.
  • Purchases from giftcards.com earn miles on the first $2,000 spent in the named calendar month, meaning for example between March 1st and March 31st. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • Giftcards.com has had various limits over the years, and it was always by calendar month.
  • Some data points show the $2,000 monthly limit is not always enforced. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • In 2022, larger orders track more slowly, and you may need to wait a full month to see miles. Strong advice from the thread is to make multiple small purchases (say under $300) rather than large ones to avoid the dreaded "manual review"
(Copied from the LP thread wiki): Once you click through the AAdvantage eShopping portal to a vendor offer and make a purchase, you will eventually get the associated miles posted to your AAdvantage account as both redeemable miles and Loyalty Points. If the merchant advertises an increase in the miles per dollar spent, you'll earn the higher amount in both redeemable miles and an equal number of Loyalty Points. The same applies if a merchant advertises a higher fixed amount per purchase, rather than a per dollar amount. Examples of this would appear on the portal as, "Extra miles. Was 1 mile/$. Now earn 3 miles/$" or "Extra miles. Was up to 3700 miles. Now up to 6200 miles." However, if the website advertises a "Limited-time bonus offer" for "bonus miles" after meeting a spending threshold, that bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points. If a bonus is offered for some site-wide activity such as 1000 miles for installing an extension, or 500 miles for enrolling in the portal, or 2000 miles for meeting a spending threshold across multiple merchants, the bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points.

Some anti-virus software silently blocks tracking, and you may want to consider disabling it for your purchase.
Print Wikipost

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2022, 3:38 pm

When Do you Get Miles and Loyalty Points Credited to AAdvantage

My AA credit card billing period ends the 15th of the month. The charges for that billing period immediately get credited to my AAdvantage account as miles and loyalty points.

Thus, when my billing period ends on Feb 15 I will definitely get credited to my AAdvantage account any miles and loyalty points earned through Feb 15. But, will I get any AA credit card charges between Feb 16-28 credited to my AAdvantage account as miles and loyalty points to be used towards getting my elite status?
Old Oct 2, 2022, 5:17 pm

I had no issues with the posting of Code Spark after their 7 day trial.

Originally Posted by nineworldseries
Yep, I have had that very thing happen several times this year. Just Food for Dogs seems like a total scam that has never paid anybody. Seems like sadly the Homer and CodeSpark are the same way.
Old Oct 2, 2022, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by marlee1421
Motley Fool seems to be an inexpensive way to pick up a bunch of LPs (7500 LPs for $89). Any thoughts from personal experiences as to pros and cons? Lots of spam? Ease of turning off auto renewal? Can it be canceled after a period of time and still retain LPs? Can I buy it for a family member? Any other thoughts are appreciated.
The only downside to Motley Fool is that it's spammy as hell (eg. every day is "your last opportunity" to become obscenely wealthy). But that can be dealt with by going into account settings and unchecking everything.
Old Oct 3, 2022, 7:41 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by EQDsSUCK
My AA credit card billing period ends the 15th of the month. The charges for that billing period immediately get credited to my AAdvantage account as miles and loyalty points.

Thus, when my billing period ends on Feb 15 I will definitely get credited to my AAdvantage account any miles and loyalty points earned through Feb 15. But, will I get any AA credit card charges between Feb 16-28 credited to my AAdvantage account as miles and loyalty points to be used towards getting my elite status?
The charges between Feb 16-28 will not post until your next close date (March 15). The status counter ends on Feb 28, 2023, so I would not count on any credit card points charged after your Feb 15th closing date.... They will count towards next year's qualification period.
Old Oct 3, 2022, 7:48 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Originally Posted by nineworldseries
Yep, I have had that very thing happen several times this year. Just Food for Dogs seems like a total scam that has never paid anybody. Seems like sadly the Homer and CodeSpark are the same way.
I got CodeSpark miles automatically and the Homer points showed up after the 9.99 was paid and with a single inquiry to Cartera.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 10:22 pm

Tried the Laithwaites offer combined with AMEX $40 off $40 a week ago. Got the AMEX credit already, order shows up in recent store visits on aadvantageeshopping but not under recent transactions
Old Oct 5, 2022, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by Seph87
I'm looking to buy a new iPhone and want to maximize earnings from the purchase. From what I can see on the Verizon store page, they are offering 5 miles/$ for "accessories" which makes me think things like airpods or charging cables, but there are offers on the page specifically for buying the new iPhone. Is there any way to tell if the 5 miles/$ applies to new phones? Or are those links only there if I will be signing up for a new line with the new phone? I don't need a new line - just the phone - so if that's required for the deal then I will look elsewhere.
My info may be outdated, but I think most places exclude the iphones from earning any type of real cashback or miles. The only way you could earn miles is if you add a line. But even then, the cashback offers are usually way higher in value to the point where it's probably more worthwhile to get cash back instead of miles.
Old Oct 5, 2022, 9:54 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by anabolism
Are you strictly adhering to the best practices?

My recommendations:
  • Use a dedicated browser for AAdvantageeshopping. Don't use this browser for anything else, and always use this browser for AA E-shopping.
  • Don't use Safari as this browser. (I use Microsoft Edge, because it's one of the more egregious privacy-violating browsers so is good to dedicate to a task where privacy isn't a concern.)
After multiple transactions/visits NOT showing I took your earlier advice and simply switched to a dedicated browser (Safari), which I don't use for internet purposes on my Macbook, and I have had no problems with transactions posting properly since.

I only use Safari for AA shopping on my Mac and there hasn't been any hiccups!
Old Oct 5, 2022, 4:26 pm

Programs: Alaska, AA, Marriott
How does Cartera handle clawbacks? I had two transactions confirm that while they completed (online, pick up at store) ended up getting canceled at the store (items not as described). Tractor Supply issued a refund to my card - just wondering when (if?) Cartera will claw back the miles and LP's? In this case it's 460, so not a huge deal, but they also won't affect any redemptions, status levels, etc.
Old Oct 5, 2022, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by thatmikereed
How does Cartera handle clawbacks? I had two transactions confirm that while they completed (online, pick up at store) ended up getting canceled at the store (items not as described). Tractor Supply issued a refund to my card - just wondering when (if?) Cartera will claw back the miles and LP's? In this case it's 460, so not a huge deal, but they also won't affect any redemptions, status levels, etc.
I have a 2 month old transaction that was immediately cancelled but the points still posted. Still no clawback.
Old Oct 6, 2022, 11:38 am

Programs: AA PLT
Update to a GC.com order that hadn't posted: it was tracking as a store visit forever with a subtotal that didn't include the 5% discount, but never showed as pending. Emailed Cartera a few weeks ago, and just noticed today that there is now a second line item on that store visit showing a reversal of the order amount, so it nets out to 0. Hoping that another correction with the correct amount will eventually show up, but not holding my breath. Followed best practices and got the order to track, so not sure why they would disqualify me.
Old Oct 6, 2022, 12:20 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by Antarius
did your order track correctly? Oddly enough, I also bought a gift from Gucci and it tracked shortly after but for a different amount. The tracked amount was 10% less than the subtotal. It has not posted yet.

Never experienced this on any other vendor, so curious why or if it's just a one off.
After messaging customer service over and over and over and over again (6x).....they finally posted the missing points (10% of purchase amount x8) from gucci.com. It posted as a single transaction today so all appears to be fixed with my missing points from Aug 6th.
Venezuela-Miami likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2022, 2:31 pm

Programs: Alaska, AA, Marriott
I just got my first reply back on $1947 worth of gift cards from GCC: "The merchant has determined this is ineligible" with a list of possible reasons and asking if I met any of them. I replied no, and attached the screenshots showing the processed order AND the eShopping "congrats" banner with the order number in the same screen showing they were eligible.

We'll see what happens next... and if the other one comes back the same way.
Kawliga likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2022, 10:22 pm

This is not a drill. Giftcards.com just went up to 3x again.
Old Oct 6, 2022, 11:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Oh boy, and I just bought one yesterday. I think most changes happen Fridays or Mondays.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.