Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2015, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
AAdvantage eShoppping by Cartera Commerce
Using, earning miles, problems, etc. (Consolidated thread)

American Airlines is not the contact for Cartera / AAdvantage eShopping .

AAdvantage eShopping FAQs and an e-contact form can be found via the "Contact Us" link at the bottom left corner of the home page.

If you have trouble getting purchases to track, there's also a browser extension to help.

Cartera website: http://www.cartera.com

Cartera Commerce, Inc.
One Cranberry Hill
Lexington, Massachusetts 02421

Tel. (781) 541-6800 Fax: (781) 541-6801

For general inquiries, please contact [email protected] or 888.456.6255
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST (Please do not alter contents following)

This thread is the sole thread to address issues with AAdvantage eShopping (operated by Cartera Commerce). Other queries or complaints will invariably end up merged into this thread. All posts must comply with FlyerTalk Guidelines and Rules / TOS, or may be summarily deleted or edited by moderators.

A related article, highlighting an interview of Cartera Commerce CEO Tom Bercher, is "Secrets of Cartera Commerce Revealed: Inside the Company that Brings You Miles for Online Shopping" by Gary Leff on March 3, 2014. Link.

As described in this thread, AAdvantage Shopping now offers a downloadable button installable on your desktop (not mobile) device to facilitate e-shopping. Link.

Older posts may be read at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...or-consol.html

Notes about Giftcards.com:
  • A separate thread exists for discussing Giftcards.com and likely has more data points than this generic thread.
  • Purchases from giftcards.com earn miles on the first $2,000 spent in the named calendar month, meaning for example between March 1st and March 31st. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • Giftcards.com has had various limits over the years, and it was always by calendar month.
  • Some data points show the $2,000 monthly limit is not always enforced. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • In 2022, larger orders track more slowly, and you may need to wait a full month to see miles. Strong advice from the thread is to make multiple small purchases (say under $300) rather than large ones to avoid the dreaded "manual review"
(Copied from the LP thread wiki): Once you click through the AAdvantage eShopping portal to a vendor offer and make a purchase, you will eventually get the associated miles posted to your AAdvantage account as both redeemable miles and Loyalty Points. If the merchant advertises an increase in the miles per dollar spent, you'll earn the higher amount in both redeemable miles and an equal number of Loyalty Points. The same applies if a merchant advertises a higher fixed amount per purchase, rather than a per dollar amount. Examples of this would appear on the portal as, "Extra miles. Was 1 mile/$. Now earn 3 miles/$" or "Extra miles. Was up to 3700 miles. Now up to 6200 miles." However, if the website advertises a "Limited-time bonus offer" for "bonus miles" after meeting a spending threshold, that bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points. If a bonus is offered for some site-wide activity such as 1000 miles for installing an extension, or 500 miles for enrolling in the portal, or 2000 miles for meeting a spending threshold across multiple merchants, the bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points.

Some anti-virus software silently blocks tracking, and you may want to consider disabling it for your purchase.
Print Wikipost

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2022, 9:59 am

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by thatmikereed
You haven't read the best practice recommendations here, which include turning that off in Safari.
Yes, of course you can turn it off. To my thinking, it makes more sense to use Safari with its default tracker blocking for normal browsing, and a lower-privacy browser dedicated to just AA e-shopping. As I see it, this provides greater privacy for normal browsing and an easier time making sure AA e-shopping tracks. But that's me, there are many paths to the same end.
Old Oct 12, 2022, 5:46 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; UA 1K
Originally Posted by chrisny2
Has anyone else had trouble with giftcards.com not posting in the past few days since they reverted to 3x/$?

I've had many many orders over the past 6 months and placed two single $250 orders a few days ago, using the same browser and settings as always, and neither order has even shown up on the tracking page (though the store visits are there.) An order for $20 from the day before it went to 3x is showing and credited as normal.

I had problems on Oct. 7 (the day they went back to 3x). Out of fear that it would last only one day, I ordered two Shell $300 GCs, an Uber $500, and one VISA $250 with the fee. All on separate orders. I was overseas at the time (UK) and I noticed I couldn't log in to my GC.COM account once I entered the site through the portal but the orders seemed to go through.

Here's where it gets strange. The Uber $500 was declined in the security check, never went on my credit card and no mileage or LPs posted. The two Shell $300 gift cards both posted to my credit card and I got an email from GC.com that the cards are in the mail to me, but neither seems to have tracked on the portal -- it just shows the store visits, no confirming email from AA shopping and no miles or LPs posted yet. The VISA gift card did not decline but it still shows as pending in the GC.com system (now 5 days later). I got the miles and LPs for it, did not get charged for it, and have not received it.

Now that I'm back stateside, I ordered a $200 Uber GC and a $250 VISA GC on Oct. 10. All went through as normal and the miles/LPs posted this morning, less than 48 hours later. I bought another $250 VISA GC today and it appears to have tracked normally so far. I'm not sure if the site was having problems the day they restored the 3x miles or whether my attempt to buy from overseas tripped a security wire, or both.

May not be worth chasing the two $300 Shell cards that didn't track since I will exceed the $2000 monthly cap. Just a piece of cake without frosting I guess.
chrisny2 likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2022, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by McTigerFan

May not be worth chasing the two $300 Shell cards that didn't track since I will exceed the $2000 monthly cap. Just a piece of cake without frosting I guess.
I was on the same boat, and after a while, I thought "what do I have to lose", and pursued them and they credited them very quickly.
Old Oct 12, 2022, 6:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
Originally Posted by McTigerFan
I had problems on Oct. 7 (the day they went back to 3x). Out of fear that it would last only one day, I ordered two Shell $300 GCs, an Uber $500, and one VISA $250 with the fee. All on separate orders. I was overseas at the time (UK) and I noticed I couldn't log in to my GC.COM account once I entered the site through the portal but the orders seemed to go through.
- I was in Spain on Oct. 7 and was also trying to purchase a gift card. I had the same problem of logging into my giftcards.com account through AA shopping and also directly. The latter indicated that the website was blocking the IP address. With a little research I have found that gift card business is country-specific and that there is giftcards.eu website. Note that there is no AA shopping mall if you log into the AA Spain website. Other airlines have different versions of the shopping malls depending on the country where you are shopping (e.g., BA does this). In today world, those websites are likely to add an additional level of security by checking for the origin of the IP address. Certainly, buying a gift card - a monetary instrument - from another country using US-issued card would raise a red flag. We did experience this before when my wife ordered whole bunch of stuff from US to be delivered to US address when we were traveling in South East Asia over the Thanksgiving. All her purchases were cancelled.
At the end my decision was not to buy any gift cards through AA shopping mall while abroad as it would be not worth my time to chase those purchases and miles. Perhaps, one could use VPN or log into your home computer remotely ... but there easier ways to get 6k of LPs per month.
Old Oct 12, 2022, 7:19 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; Hertz PC; AA Platinum; Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Alex_I
- ... but there easier ways to get 6k of LPs per month.
Care to share an example or two? Asking for a friend. ;-)
Old Oct 12, 2022, 8:49 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by thatmikereed
No stacking, ordered directly from the 5% discount promo listed on the eShopping page. Order after discount, but with any relevant taxes was under $2000.

I've dealt with Cartera in the past - it's often just a lot of back and forth until they finally post things... then they post them wrong and you have to get the posting corrected.
The odd thing for me was the order tracked a the pre-discount amount, not post. Wonder if that flagged the order.
Old Oct 12, 2022, 8:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
Originally Posted by GVR Bill
- It all depends on how much you travel for work and/pleasure. Right now I am at ca. 165k LPs this year from mainly flying + some miles from staying with Hyatt and also AAdvantage dining (if the restaurants are reasonably good). I have cancelled AA-branded cards some time ago. I did use giftcards.com for Mrs. account but it is an extra work to keep track and liquidate the cards.
GVR Bill likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2022, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by linglingfool
The odd thing for me was the order tracked a the pre-discount amount, not post. Wonder if that flagged the order.
All of them did. I ordered 20 of them and they all tracked and posted as pre discount.
Old Oct 12, 2022, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GVR Bill
Rocketmiles!
GVR Bill likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2022, 10:34 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
I've been ordering 2x giftcards at a time since early September and have had zero problems getting them to post. Both at 1x and 3x.
Old Oct 13, 2022, 12:42 am

it shows there is a fee to buy the gift cards? what is "merchant brands" since that one shows no fees.
Old Oct 13, 2022, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by trojanmana
it shows there is a fee to buy the gift cards? what is "merchant brands" since that one shows no fees.
Merchant brand is a specific GC for a brand. Like a gift card to best buy, home Depot, restaurants etc. (just for example, not sure if these specific brands are on offer).

The upside, no fee. Downside is that it's less flexible than the regular Visa card.
Venezuela-Miami likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2022, 11:54 am

Thanks for the reply. so if i buy a virtual visa card I have to pay the 5.99 fee per $250. no way to get around that.

"
Merchant brand is a specific GC for a brand. Like a gift card to best buy, home Depot, restaurants etc. (just for example, not sure if these specific brands are on offer).

The upside, no fee. Downside is that it's less flexible than the regular Visa card.
  • "
Old Oct 13, 2022, 11:56 am

Programs: Alaska, AA, Marriott
Thanks for the reply. so if i buy a virtual visa card I have to pay the 5.99 fee per $250. no way to get around that.
Correct. No current/stackable promos to offset the fee. You're essentially paying the fee in exchange for LP/RDM.
Old Oct 13, 2022, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"

• "
There isn't. Periodically there are discounts on the GCs (a 5% recently, for example) that end up making the fee moot.

Currently it's like paying 5.99 for 768 LPs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.