Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2015, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
AAdvantage eShoppping by Cartera Commerce
Using, earning miles, problems, etc. (Consolidated thread)

American Airlines is not the contact for Cartera / AAdvantage eShopping .

AAdvantage eShopping FAQs and an e-contact form can be found via the "Contact Us" link at the bottom left corner of the home page.

If you have trouble getting purchases to track, there's also a browser extension to help.

Cartera website: http://www.cartera.com

Cartera Commerce, Inc.
One Cranberry Hill
Lexington, Massachusetts 02421

Tel. (781) 541-6800 Fax: (781) 541-6801

For general inquiries, please contact [email protected] or 888.456.6255
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST (Please do not alter contents following)

This thread is the sole thread to address issues with AAdvantage eShopping (operated by Cartera Commerce). Other queries or complaints will invariably end up merged into this thread. All posts must comply with FlyerTalk Guidelines and Rules / TOS, or may be summarily deleted or edited by moderators.

A related article, highlighting an interview of Cartera Commerce CEO Tom Bercher, is "Secrets of Cartera Commerce Revealed: Inside the Company that Brings You Miles for Online Shopping" by Gary Leff on March 3, 2014. Link.

As described in this thread, AAdvantage Shopping now offers a downloadable button installable on your desktop (not mobile) device to facilitate e-shopping. Link.

Older posts may be read at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...or-consol.html

Notes about Giftcards.com:
  • A separate thread exists for discussing Giftcards.com and likely has more data points than this generic thread.
  • Purchases from giftcards.com earn miles on the first $2,000 spent in the named calendar month, meaning for example between March 1st and March 31st. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • Giftcards.com has had various limits over the years, and it was always by calendar month.
  • Some data points show the $2,000 monthly limit is not always enforced. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • In 2022, larger orders track more slowly, and you may need to wait a full month to see miles. Strong advice from the thread is to make multiple small purchases (say under $300) rather than large ones to avoid the dreaded "manual review"
(Copied from the LP thread wiki): Once you click through the AAdvantage eShopping portal to a vendor offer and make a purchase, you will eventually get the associated miles posted to your AAdvantage account as both redeemable miles and Loyalty Points. If the merchant advertises an increase in the miles per dollar spent, you'll earn the higher amount in both redeemable miles and an equal number of Loyalty Points. The same applies if a merchant advertises a higher fixed amount per purchase, rather than a per dollar amount. Examples of this would appear on the portal as, "Extra miles. Was 1 mile/$. Now earn 3 miles/$" or "Extra miles. Was up to 3700 miles. Now up to 6200 miles." However, if the website advertises a "Limited-time bonus offer" for "bonus miles" after meeting a spending threshold, that bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points. If a bonus is offered for some site-wide activity such as 1000 miles for installing an extension, or 500 miles for enrolling in the portal, or 2000 miles for meeting a spending threshold across multiple merchants, the bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points.

Some anti-virus software silently blocks tracking, and you may want to consider disabling it for your purchase.
Print Wikipost

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2022, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by linglingfool
Me. Exactly. To the day and dollar ($1947, but I get your point). I didn't get a reply from their customer service, just an automated email yesterday from the shopping portal saying the points posted. Oddly, my LP tracker on AA hasn't updated yet, though.

Also, to be fair, the CS rep asked me "do any of the above apply to your order?" when listing the T&C violations, and seemed happy to push if they didn't.
I was informed I was ineligible and they pasted in the t&cs. No one asked, they told. I emailed back that I was scrupulous to do everything right and I got my lps. But…what about all the people who just give up? That’s a lot of lps to lose (or for gift cards to save)….
Old Oct 22, 2022, 1:57 pm

Programs: AA PlatPro, AS
Originally Posted by erdoran
I did my first and only giftcards.com deal. I bought $2k worth of gift cards on the last day of the 3x LP promo. it showed up on the portal as "store visits" complete with my order total which was about $2070 before coupon, and about $1980 after 5% promo (not exact numbers, but close enough). I used coupon code from Aadvantageeshopping site. Of course it never credited, so I emailed after the requisite 15 days. Four weeks later after a followup I got told my purchase didn't qualify along with the canned reasons why it wouldn't - bad coupon code, cancelled/returned etc. I pushed back and asked for specifics about why it didn't qualify, and informed them I'd be following up regularly. Lo & behold, today I did my first followup and was told that I was getting my LP after all.

I had something similar happen on a small order for wireless keyboard & mouse - I was told it didn't qualify along with canned reasons - I went through all the reasons and they didn't apply, so I pushed back and got my LPs.

I consistently have problems with orders NOT being credited,even though they show up on store visits, including the amount spent. Usually I can email in and get credit. These two cases of making excuses on the basis of T&Cs which don't apply to my order makes me go "hmmmmm....."

Have others had this happen?
Same here. I figured I’d only get credit for the post-discount total of $1947, or worst case, they’d honor the “$2K max per month” part by just excluding the extra $47. But I pushed the fact that my net purchase didn’t exceed $2K, so they finally gave me 5841 LPs. Arguing over the 159 isn’t worth my time at this point.

I was unsure of whether there was some fine print limiting how many times a customer could use the discount code, or I would have split it up. Lesson learned.
Old Oct 24, 2022, 3:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, WOH Globalist
Macy's is 10 miles/$ on all categories except furniture and mattresses. Some good value there if you can buy something you already need.
Old Oct 24, 2022, 3:59 pm

Programs: Alaska, AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by njvandy
Macy's is 10 miles/$ on all categories except furniture and mattresses. Some good value there if you can buy something you already need.
Good to know - I have their Amex, as well, for extra points.
Old Oct 25, 2022, 7:48 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by njvandy
I wanted to jump on this but noticed they hiked a lot of their prices up since they have a new coupon code...
Old Oct 29, 2022, 6:32 pm

Programs: IHG/Spire Amb., Hilton/Diamond, SPG/Gold, Marriott/Gold, AA/Plat, Southwest/CP
HelloFresh 2000 points

Did this to get 2,000 LPs I needed quickly and found HF to be a good deal on here. You can use the first order discount to get a $17.49 total for 2 servings of 2 meals, then cancel. Ended up with 2017 AA LPs acquired at 0.8cpp, which is a great value. I think of this deal as basically free food + $11 profit.
Old Oct 29, 2022, 7:04 pm

Programs: American EP
Originally Posted by Steven6702
Did this to get 2,000 LPs I needed quickly and found HF to be a good deal on here. You can use the first order discount to get a $17.49 total for 2 servings of 2 meals, then cancel. Ended up with 2017 AA LPs acquired at 0.8cpp, which is a great value. I think of this deal as basically free food + $11 profit.
I just did the same Thursday and the 2,000 already hit my aadvantage account. First box arrives Tuesday.
Old Oct 29, 2022, 7:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Shopping points being reversed

I've been using the shopping portal (Sams club and Lowe's) for the last few months and I've noticed a lot the miles have been reversed about a month later. After the purchase, miles would post about 5 days later and then a lot of them would reverse about a month later. The reversals show up in red under RECENT TRANSACTIONS on the shopping portal page. What gives?
Old Oct 29, 2022, 11:15 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Originally Posted by JamesHNL
I've been using the shopping portal (Sams club and Lowe's) for the last few months and I've noticed a lot the miles have been reversed about a month later. After the purchase, miles would post about 5 days later and then a lot of them would reverse about a month later. The reversals show up in red under RECENT TRANSACTIONS on the shopping portal page. What gives?
Sounds unusual. Do you have another shopping toolbar on your browser from Rakuten or ibotta or something that might be confusing the tracking systems?
Old Oct 30, 2022, 4:49 pm

Anyone have experience purchasing mattresses through the portal? At anywhere from 6-7x points it can be pretty lucrative. I'm in the middle of the Instant Status Pass w/AA so chomping at the bit to see my LPs posted. Bought on Tuesday and it recorded the visit but still doesn't show points pending even though half the purchase has been delivered.
Old Oct 30, 2022, 5:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Ned13
Anyone have experience purchasing mattresses through the portal? At anywhere from 6-7x points it can be pretty lucrative. I'm in the middle of the Instant Status Pass w/AA so chomping at the bit to see my LPs posted. Bought on Tuesday and it recorded the visit but still doesn't show points pending even though half the purchase has been delivered.
Purchased from where?
Old Oct 30, 2022, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by coleslaw
Purchased from where?
Sorry I bet that would help.

I ended up splitting between MattressFirm and Nectar.
Old Oct 31, 2022, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
3x/$ earning at giftcards.com is back...
Old Nov 1, 2022, 8:13 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Platinum
Does anyone have experience with how long it takes to get miles from high-dollar purchases? I have screenshots of my entire purchase process, but the points (about 28K) did not post. I've contacted support, and they are working on it with the vendor, but really left the timing up in the air.
Old Nov 1, 2022, 8:42 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by WannaTheater
Does anyone have experience with how long it takes to get miles from high-dollar purchases? I have screenshots of my entire purchase process, but the points (about 28K) did not post. I've contacted support, and they are working on it with the vendor, but really left the timing up in the air.
It massively varies. Depends on the vendor and their definition of a “high” dollar purchase.
chrisny2 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.