Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2015, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
AAdvantage eShoppping by Cartera Commerce
Using, earning miles, problems, etc. (Consolidated thread)

American Airlines is not the contact for Cartera / AAdvantage eShopping .

AAdvantage eShopping FAQs and an e-contact form can be found via the "Contact Us" link at the bottom left corner of the home page.

If you have trouble getting purchases to track, there's also a browser extension to help.

Cartera website: http://www.cartera.com

Cartera Commerce, Inc.
One Cranberry Hill
Lexington, Massachusetts 02421

Tel. (781) 541-6800 Fax: (781) 541-6801

For general inquiries, please contact [email protected] or 888.456.6255
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST (Please do not alter contents following)

This thread is the sole thread to address issues with AAdvantage eShopping (operated by Cartera Commerce). Other queries or complaints will invariably end up merged into this thread. All posts must comply with FlyerTalk Guidelines and Rules / TOS, or may be summarily deleted or edited by moderators.

A related article, highlighting an interview of Cartera Commerce CEO Tom Bercher, is "Secrets of Cartera Commerce Revealed: Inside the Company that Brings You Miles for Online Shopping" by Gary Leff on March 3, 2014. Link.

As described in this thread, AAdvantage Shopping now offers a downloadable button installable on your desktop (not mobile) device to facilitate e-shopping. Link.

Older posts may be read at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...or-consol.html

Notes about Giftcards.com:
  • A separate thread exists for discussing Giftcards.com and likely has more data points than this generic thread.
  • Purchases from giftcards.com earn miles on the first $2,000 spent in the named calendar month, meaning for example between March 1st and March 31st. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • Giftcards.com has had various limits over the years, and it was always by calendar month.
  • Some data points show the $2,000 monthly limit is not always enforced. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • In 2022, larger orders track more slowly, and you may need to wait a full month to see miles. Strong advice from the thread is to make multiple small purchases (say under $300) rather than large ones to avoid the dreaded "manual review"
(Copied from the LP thread wiki): Once you click through the AAdvantage eShopping portal to a vendor offer and make a purchase, you will eventually get the associated miles posted to your AAdvantage account as both redeemable miles and Loyalty Points. If the merchant advertises an increase in the miles per dollar spent, you'll earn the higher amount in both redeemable miles and an equal number of Loyalty Points. The same applies if a merchant advertises a higher fixed amount per purchase, rather than a per dollar amount. Examples of this would appear on the portal as, "Extra miles. Was 1 mile/$. Now earn 3 miles/$" or "Extra miles. Was up to 3700 miles. Now up to 6200 miles." However, if the website advertises a "Limited-time bonus offer" for "bonus miles" after meeting a spending threshold, that bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points. If a bonus is offered for some site-wide activity such as 1000 miles for installing an extension, or 500 miles for enrolling in the portal, or 2000 miles for meeting a spending threshold across multiple merchants, the bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points.

Some anti-virus software silently blocks tracking, and you may want to consider disabling it for your purchase.
Print Wikipost

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2022, 7:18 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by nk15
Oh boy, and I just bought one yesterday. I think most changes happen Fridays or Mondays.
Same here. Time to stock up!
Antarius and mwood19004 like this.
Old Oct 7, 2022, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by AirricK11
Same here. Time to stock up!
We are entering shopping season early this year, so it could be affected by that.
Antarius and Illinwu like this.
Old Oct 7, 2022, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by MoonOverMiami
This is not a drill. Giftcards.com just went up to 3x again.
Action stations! Action stations!
Old Oct 7, 2022, 9:16 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, National Exec, Hertz PC, Nexus
Originally Posted by MoonOverMiami
This is not a drill. Giftcards.com just went up to 3x again.
Is there any reason not to go all out and spend all $2k today in case 3x is gone tomorrow? I mean, sure the CC may get declined before hitting $2,000, but other than that, is there any issue with this plan? I plan to do separate transactions for $250 after learning the hard way that any more than that takes much longer to post. Although, I'm not in a hurry for points to post since I'm 33k away from Platinum Pro.
mwood19004 likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2022, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
From experience, the same card may be declined after the 3rd or 4th purchase, not that this is necessarily a bad thing. So you would likely need to spread it to 2-3 cards at least. Personally, I would probably not do more than 3-4 transactions with the same card in one day.

I have done $2k in a day (8 transactions) for a few different months but spread it to 3-5 cards and 2-3 bank issuers.

Last edited by nk15; Oct 7, 2022 at 12:19 pm
Old Oct 7, 2022, 10:04 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Platinum
My wife did 2K in one day (one transaction I believe), and it took forever to get it resolved and for her to get the points posted.

On the other hand, I've never done more than one in a day, never more than 8 times per month, using the same credit card, and have had zero issues with tracking and points posting. I use my AA Citi card, which effectively turns the transaction into 4X points.
Old Oct 7, 2022, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've done 6 in a day, albeit separate transactions for each one. They all posted automatically
LittleBird likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2022, 10:42 am

Hopefully the GCC 5% discount to come back as well
SFflyer20 likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2022, 10:54 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by 777lover
Is anyone having trouble getting their 2k Miles/LPs for their subscription to Homer.

in my case, it was tracked by AAdvantage Shopping, their are order numbers, my first $9.99 charge hit my cc.

Reached out to Cartera who verified that I should get the miles/LPs. But it had a sentence in their response that concerned me.

“…find out why the order was not credited and attempt to obtain commission for it in order to pass it back to you.“

not a very experienced AAdvantage shopper here, but do companies refused to pay Cartera and you are out the mileage offer?

thanks.
I've also been getting the runaround from Homer and I'm fighting back. I "signed up" and ordered the bear kit.
777lover and nk15 like this.
Old Oct 7, 2022, 3:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by DeltaNeutral28
Hopefully the GCC 5% discount to come back as well
Given the amount of work involved in buying and tracking all this stuff I'm not particularly interested in doing the VGCs without the discount.
Old Oct 7, 2022, 4:11 pm

Trying to get Homer to post also. But I did notice that on Wednesday a $9.99 entry with the same iD # showed up. Still has posted to transactions though.

Originally Posted by donotblink
I've also been getting the runaround from Homer and I'm fighting back. I "signed up" and ordered the bear kit.
Old Oct 7, 2022, 10:32 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Lately I've been ordering 2 at a time, targeting to do two orders about 2-3 days apart, 3x a month. Yes, that's over $2K. I haven't had any problem getting miles credited. Even though it was too soon for my regular cycle, I ordered 2 cards tonight.

Based on my personal experience, I would strenously suggest avoiding more than two transactions in every 2-3 days. You never know what will trigger a declination. (And unfortunately, BHN has no idea either, so they can't help you or give an intelligible reason.)
ValleyEarl likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2022, 7:18 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by donotblink
My Homer miles posted 2-3 days after I submitted a missing miles claim to Cartera and got the standard "we'll try to get commission" response.

I was surprised that 2,000 posted off the bat - when I signed up there was a one month free trial, so the first payment only went through a few weeks ago when the promo had changed to something like 10x. I was fully expecting to see ~100 miles post and have to fight for it to be adjusted.
Old Oct 8, 2022, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by redtop43
Lately I've been ordering 2 at a time, targeting to do two orders about 2-3 days apart, 3x a month. Yes, that's over $2K. I haven't had any problem getting miles credited. Even though it was too soon for my regular cycle, I ordered 2 cards tonight.

Based on my personal experience, I would strenously suggest avoiding more than two transactions in every 2-3 days. You never know what will trigger a declination. (And unfortunately, BHN has no idea either, so they can't help you or give an intelligible reason.)
I did 4 in rapid succession yesterday and only the first and last one tracked automatically. :/
Old Oct 8, 2022, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Soccerjoshj07
I did 4 in rapid succession yesterday and only the first and last one tracked automatically. :/
I did 5 and all tracked within hours (4 of the 5 we're back to back).

Wonder what determines this

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.