Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Old Feb 18, 2015, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
AAdvantage eShoppping by Cartera Commerce
Using, earning miles, problems, etc. (Consolidated thread)

American Airlines is not the contact for Cartera / AAdvantage eShopping .

AAdvantage eShopping FAQs and an e-contact form can be found via the "Contact Us" link at the bottom left corner of the home page.

If you have trouble getting purchases to track, there's also a browser extension to help.

Cartera website: http://www.cartera.com

Cartera Commerce, Inc.
One Cranberry Hill
Lexington, Massachusetts 02421

Tel. (781) 541-6800 Fax: (781) 541-6801

For general inquiries, please contact [email protected] or 888.456.6255
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST (Please do not alter contents following)

This thread is the sole thread to address issues with AAdvantage eShopping (operated by Cartera Commerce). Other queries or complaints will invariably end up merged into this thread. All posts must comply with FlyerTalk Guidelines and Rules / TOS, or may be summarily deleted or edited by moderators.

A related article, highlighting an interview of Cartera Commerce CEO Tom Bercher, is "Secrets of Cartera Commerce Revealed: Inside the Company that Brings You Miles for Online Shopping" by Gary Leff on March 3, 2014. Link.

As described in this thread, AAdvantage Shopping now offers a downloadable button installable on your desktop (not mobile) device to facilitate e-shopping. Link.

Older posts may be read at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...or-consol.html

Notes about Giftcards.com:
  • A separate thread exists for discussing Giftcards.com and likely has more data points than this generic thread.
  • Purchases from giftcards.com earn miles on the first $2,000 spent in the named calendar month, meaning for example between March 1st and March 31st. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • Giftcards.com has had various limits over the years, and it was always by calendar month.
  • Some data points show the $2,000 monthly limit is not always enforced. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • In 2022, larger orders track more slowly, and you may need to wait a full month to see miles. Strong advice from the thread is to make multiple small purchases (say under $300) rather than large ones to avoid the dreaded "manual review"
(Copied from the LP thread wiki): Once you click through the AAdvantage eShopping portal to a vendor offer and make a purchase, you will eventually get the associated miles posted to your AAdvantage account as both redeemable miles and Loyalty Points. If the merchant advertises an increase in the miles per dollar spent, you'll earn the higher amount in both redeemable miles and an equal number of Loyalty Points. The same applies if a merchant advertises a higher fixed amount per purchase, rather than a per dollar amount. Examples of this would appear on the portal as, "Extra miles. Was 1 mile/$. Now earn 3 miles/$" or "Extra miles. Was up to 3700 miles. Now up to 6200 miles." However, if the website advertises a "Limited-time bonus offer" for "bonus miles" after meeting a spending threshold, that bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points. If a bonus is offered for some site-wide activity such as 1000 miles for installing an extension, or 500 miles for enrolling in the portal, or 2000 miles for meeting a spending threshold across multiple merchants, the bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points.

Some anti-virus software silently blocks tracking, and you may want to consider disabling it for your purchase.
Print Wikipost

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Old Sep 9, 2022, 12:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, National Exec, Hertz PC, Nexus
Originally Posted by nk15
I am curious, has anyone ever had any Marriott LPs post through the AAShopping portal? None of mine ever posted...
My handful of stays have posted between 60 and 90 days after checkout. I'm not sure why it's so inconsistent and some people see points within a few days. I had some stays in late July that I booked when it was 4-miles per dollar and I'll definitely submit tickets if they don't pose within 90 days.
Old Sep 9, 2022, 3:36 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; UA 1K
Gift Card tracking

Wanted to share this with the thread for those trying to keep track of their multiple VISA gift card purchases. Since following the info on this thread last Spring, I have bought about 30 VISA gift cards for $250 each. About 10 of these were in May/June 2022 when there was a no-fee virtual VISA card buried at the end of the Brands section of giftcard.com. That disappeared in early June, and the others I bought were all in August and September during the recent discount frenzy that ended last Monday night. Those were more prominently featured on the front of the site.

It became a lot to keep track of so I went in to check the balance of each gift card to make sure I had not missed out spending any of them. And a strange thing happened -- the ones from May and June could not be located on the check balance page of giftcards.com! Most of them were spent but one was only partially spent, yet all showed as an invalid number. The more recent ones, purchased from the main giftcards.com page in August and September, showed up with a spending history and remaining balance, as they should.

I did some poking around and found that if you go to mygift.giftcardmall.com (an entirely different site which also distributes MetaBank gift cards) and use the check balance function there, the earlier gift cards from May and June can be located. I had one with nearly $100 left on it which had showed up as invalid on the giftcards.com site.

The other catch to watch out for if you have an inventory of these cards is that they deduct $4.95 per month after one year of inactivity. My recommendation is to spend these as soon as you can. The remainder of mine will go to the electric utility, cable and cell phone providers, renewing my car registration, and if anything's left more Amazon reloads. Not entirely confident in MetaBank's processes, between this and the premature end of the recent promotion.
Old Sep 9, 2022, 8:14 pm

what a joke the gift card site is - I tried five different orders for various dining gift cards - every one was cancelled. AA needs to boot gift cards from the program what a waste of time
Old Sep 9, 2022, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott LT Plat | Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Lonedaddy
what a joke the gift card site is - I tried five different orders for various dining gift cards - every one was cancelled. AA needs to boot gift cards from the program what a waste of time
Umm, no.

You can choose to not buy them.
Old Sep 9, 2022, 8:47 pm

Lonedaddy, Check the wikipost at the top for a link to Giftcards discussions including something about cancelled orders and new customers.
Old Sep 9, 2022, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
That may actually be the only worthy aspect of that site right now, cancelled orders is the way to go...
Old Sep 10, 2022, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by Antarius
Umm, no.

You can choose to not buy them.
I found them on sam's club for less the 1:1 so better price and same miles
Old Sep 10, 2022, 10:12 am

Programs: Alaska, AA, Marriott
While Ive earned tens of thousands of points this year with only one escalation. YMMV.
chrisny2 and WindowSeatFlyer like this.
Old Sep 10, 2022, 10:36 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by TropicalTripper
I had some stays in late July that I booked when it was 4-miles per dollar and I'll definitely submit tickets if they don't pose within 90 days.
Speaking of this, is there any way to check the historical bonus rates for merchants?

I have upcoming stays booked when it was >1x, but it can be especially difficult to remember with Marriott (or some of the other hotels, I suppose) since the time between booking, completing the stay, and then receiving the points, can be several months apart.
Old Sep 10, 2022, 11:23 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat; UA 1K
The only (imperfect) way I know of is to save the promotional emails or, if you haven't deleted them, look up the date and see if they were listed in the email promo that day.
Old Sep 10, 2022, 12:05 pm

Programs: AAdvantage (Platinum)
cashbackmonitor.com
Old Sep 13, 2022, 2:22 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by 355F1
On May 11th, I booked a September stay at an IHG hotel through the shopping portal with no deposit (not pre-padi).

I just completed the stay,

Anyone know how long it takes for points to post with this type of transaction?
Looking for this data point as well. Booked in July, completed the stay yesterday.
355F1 likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2022, 8:09 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, IC Amb
I have spent about $6k at Neiman Marcus this year buying some new clothes during their 70% off end-of-season sale and accumulated 4-8 LPs per dollar.

Went to buy something and just noticed some new fine print that sale items are not eligible.

I certainly hope this isn't a fine-tuning of the program (I also checked Chase's UR Shopping portal and it says the exact same thing)

Make sure you always read the fine print! :

Old Sep 13, 2022, 8:44 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, IC Amb
Originally Posted by AirricK11
Looking for this data point as well. Booked in July, completed the stay yesterday.
I threw my bill away so I just emailed the hotel for a copy of it so I can request the missing points.

I will update here.
Old Sep 13, 2022, 12:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
LP posted

LP points for Marriott stays last month finally showed up in my AA account.Check-out was Aug 22 2022.

Originally Posted by zip10001
I am happy to report that the AA portal shows my visit to Marriott and the amount spent on Aug 03.

No LP yet while points from Nike were posted as of Aug 05.

nk15 and Illinwu like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.