Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Old Feb 18, 2015, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
AAdvantage eShoppping by Cartera Commerce
Using, earning miles, problems, etc. (Consolidated thread)

American Airlines is not the contact for Cartera / AAdvantage eShopping .

AAdvantage eShopping FAQs and an e-contact form can be found via the "Contact Us" link at the bottom left corner of the home page.

If you have trouble getting purchases to track, there's also a browser extension to help.

Cartera website: http://www.cartera.com

Cartera Commerce, Inc.
One Cranberry Hill
Lexington, Massachusetts 02421

Tel. (781) 541-6800 Fax: (781) 541-6801

For general inquiries, please contact [email protected] or 888.456.6255
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST (Please do not alter contents following)

This thread is the sole thread to address issues with AAdvantage eShopping (operated by Cartera Commerce). Other queries or complaints will invariably end up merged into this thread. All posts must comply with FlyerTalk Guidelines and Rules / TOS, or may be summarily deleted or edited by moderators.

A related article, highlighting an interview of Cartera Commerce CEO Tom Bercher, is "Secrets of Cartera Commerce Revealed: Inside the Company that Brings You Miles for Online Shopping" by Gary Leff on March 3, 2014. Link.

As described in this thread, AAdvantage Shopping now offers a downloadable button installable on your desktop (not mobile) device to facilitate e-shopping. Link.

Older posts may be read at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...or-consol.html

Notes about Giftcards.com:
  • A separate thread exists for discussing Giftcards.com and likely has more data points than this generic thread.
  • Purchases from giftcards.com earn miles on the first $2,000 spent in the named calendar month, meaning for example between March 1st and March 31st. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • Giftcards.com has had various limits over the years, and it was always by calendar month.
  • Some data points show the $2,000 monthly limit is not always enforced. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • In 2022, larger orders track more slowly, and you may need to wait a full month to see miles. Strong advice from the thread is to make multiple small purchases (say under $300) rather than large ones to avoid the dreaded "manual review"
(Copied from the LP thread wiki): Once you click through the AAdvantage eShopping portal to a vendor offer and make a purchase, you will eventually get the associated miles posted to your AAdvantage account as both redeemable miles and Loyalty Points. If the merchant advertises an increase in the miles per dollar spent, you'll earn the higher amount in both redeemable miles and an equal number of Loyalty Points. The same applies if a merchant advertises a higher fixed amount per purchase, rather than a per dollar amount. Examples of this would appear on the portal as, "Extra miles. Was 1 mile/$. Now earn 3 miles/$" or "Extra miles. Was up to 3700 miles. Now up to 6200 miles." However, if the website advertises a "Limited-time bonus offer" for "bonus miles" after meeting a spending threshold, that bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points. If a bonus is offered for some site-wide activity such as 1000 miles for installing an extension, or 500 miles for enrolling in the portal, or 2000 miles for meeting a spending threshold across multiple merchants, the bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points.

Some anti-virus software silently blocks tracking, and you may want to consider disabling it for your purchase.
Print Wikipost

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Old Nov 14, 2022, 6:22 am

Originally Posted by Rhomboid

Since I can pay rent with these visa or master giftcards I bought up to $2000 daily, and will continue until the promo ends. I can tell you the points tracked smoothly either as 1x, 2x, 3x, or 4x $250 order.
Thanks, just did 3x$250 in one order. Hope to get tracking email in a few hours.
Old Nov 14, 2022, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
For the people who have been buying multiple cards in one transaction, the problem has not been the tracking but rather the posting. Meaning they track properly but do not post, until you file a report. And then you attract human eyes and having used the code not found on AA shopping they may deny you.

Unless we have confirmed reports of them posting fine.
Old Nov 14, 2022, 7:39 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by WryMartini
Im starting to have more and more issues with getting the promised miles for purchases. (And before anyone asks, nope, no ad blocking, plug-ins, etc). The purchases show up in recent visits with the purchase amount, I receive the email that my order has been tracked, them nothing. My success rate for contacting customer service to get the missing miles is about 75%.

Right now, Im rather irked about missing miles from a $5,000 purchase (with a 5x mileage earn rate) from Ylang23. Purchase was October 5. I got the tracking email but nothing since. Contacted customer support on October 25, they said theyre looking into it, but its radio silence. Really frustrating.
I'm in the same boat. Completed a purchase on Oct 6- ~5K at 6x (Samsung). But I never got a tracking email. I do have screenshots of the entire purchasing process.
Old Nov 14, 2022, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by nk15
For the people who have been buying multiple cards in one transaction, the problem has not been the tracking but rather the posting. Meaning they track properly but do not post, until you file a report. And then you attract human eyes and having used the code not found on AA shopping they may deny you.

Unless we have confirmed reports of them posting fine.
Understood, I don't think we saw any issues with smaller (multiple $250 GC orders), i.e. less than $2,000... for me at least. My first order (without knowing what I know now) was a few months ago on the $250 virtual visa for $1,5xx.xx and you are correct, it tracked but then took two/three weeks to finally post. The majority of the non user issues (bank/browser/etc) seem to be for amounts well in excess of $2,000+ to me with other vendors, but that's just my observation. Perhaps there are others who recently (as in past 90 days) ordered multiple $250's but still less than say $2,000 and did it correctly with no user error and still after a month did not get it to post and had to get a manual review?
Old Nov 14, 2022, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by WannaTheater
Has anyone ever received their points for larger transactions that didn't initially track and then reached out to AA shopping to request them? I've followed up twice, and get generic responses about it being looked into with the vendor. I am awaiting about 28K points from a 5K purchase from Samsung on 10/6. I even have a screenshot of the airplane banner saying how many points I will be earning during checkout. I am starting to lose confidence, and feel like I was scammed...
Viator has been horrible about posting points - I am awaiting over 50K miles from them and just sent in 15 inquiries which is a PITA.
Old Nov 14, 2022, 9:12 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by DeltaNeutral28
Understood, I don't think we saw any issues with smaller (multiple $250 GC orders), i.e. less than $2,000... for me at least. My first order (without knowing what I know now) was a few months ago on the $250 virtual visa for $1,5xx.xx and you are correct, it tracked but then took two/three weeks to finally post. The majority of the non user issues (bank/browser/etc) seem to be for amounts well in excess of $2,000+ to me with other vendors, but that's just my observation. Perhaps there are others who recently (as in past 90 days) ordered multiple $250's but still less than say $2,000 and did it correctly with no user error and still after a month did not get it to post and had to get a manual review?
My wife's first purchase of $1000 took months and a customer service ticket to get the miles deposited. I purchase one at a time, and no more that 2 per day. I have yet to have one not track immediately, and miles post to AA account within a few days.

Last edited by WannaTheater; Nov 14, 2022 at 5:26 pm
Old Nov 14, 2022, 12:04 pm

Programs: AA PlatPro (LTG), Marriott Titanium (LTG), HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Steven6702
I did $250 MC with VETERANSDAY yesterday and another $500 about 2 hours ago and neither has been acknowledged yet. Ultimately I'm happy to make an instant 2.8% on my money even if they don't work, especially being that the card has 0% APR for 18 months and the cash will be sitting in HYSA. But would be sweet to bank those LPs... 🤞
Same, purchased four cards (one per order as usual) early AM on 11/13 using the VETERANSDAY coe and still have not received the tracking email. Normally with GiftCards.com the tracking email shows up within the first 24 hours -- at least it has for all my past orders. Wondering if the long weekend is contributing to the long wait time or if somehow these got flagged.
Old Nov 14, 2022, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by WannaTheater
My wife's first purchase of $1000 took months and a customer service ticket to get the miles deposited. I purchase one at a time, and no more that 2 per day. I have yet to have one track immediately, and miles post to AA account within a few days.
Yea my first order a month ago took 3 weeks to post. I'm guessing the main issue most on this go round are facing is that the promo code didn't wasn't listed on GCC until Saturday and so orders Thurs and Fri are still log jammed ?
Old Nov 14, 2022, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by Lonedaddy
Viator has been horrible about posting points - I am awaiting over 50K miles from them and just sent in 15 inquiries which is a PITA.
Yes I have had to follow up on multiple Viator transactions on other portals in recent past.
Old Nov 14, 2022, 12:16 pm

Programs: Alaska, AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by thatmikereed
The risk is huge. If you use a code not on the site, nearly 100% it will not count for LP.
and

Originally Posted by njvandy
Just like VETERANSDAY, this code is not listed on the eShopping portal website, so no guarantee of miles.
-----

Originally Posted by njvandy
That hasn't been my experience in the past. I will let you know what happens.
Originally Posted by LittleBird
Not in my case a couple months ago. 🤷‍♂️YMMV
Originally Posted by Mr. BoH
Has not been my experience either, and in any case, the risk is immaterial. Worst case you bought $250 by spending $243 and didn't earn LPs. That is a risk I am happy to live with.
So, how's that working out for folks?

Originally Posted by Steven6702
I did $250 MC with VETERANSDAY yesterday and another $500 about 2 hours ago and neither has been acknowledged yet.
Originally Posted by chriseng
Same, purchased four cards (one per order as usual) early AM on 11/13 using the VETERANSDAY coe and still have not received the tracking email. Normally with GiftCards.com the tracking email shows up within the first 24 hours -- at least it has for all my past orders. Wondering if the long weekend is contributing to the long wait time or if somehow these got flagged.
Ahh, I see...

Proverbs 1:24-27

24But since you refuse to listen when I call and no one pays attention when I stretch out my hand,
25since you disregard all my advice and do not accept my rebuke,
26I in turn will laugh when disaster strikes you; I will mock when calamity overtakes you—
27when calamity overtakes you like a storm, when disaster sweeps over you like a whirlwind, when distress and trouble overwhelm you.
thesyst3m likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2022, 1:03 pm

Programs: AA PlatPro (LTG), Marriott Titanium (LTG), HH Diamond

Ahh, I see...

24But since you refuse to listen when I call and no one pays attention when I stretch out my hand,
26I in turn will laugh when disaster strikes you; I will mock when calamity overtakes you
27when calamity overtakes you like a storm, when disaster sweeps over you like a whirlwind, when distress and trouble overwhelm you.

Yeah, for me it's not a huge deal if this batch doesn't post. I only posted to share a data point; the risk of using the code was factored in. There's no way I make it to the EXP LP threshold this year, and I'm still getting $1k of value for $974.
Old Nov 14, 2022, 2:18 pm

Programs: AA PP; Bonvoy SE
As another data point, I used the Mastercard promo and it didn't track despite the pretty little AA banner flying across the page. The Portal shows a site visit 3 days ago but without a transaction. I did it because it saved me $12+ on $250 and a slim chance at miles. Loaded it on to Slide and got 4% cash back on top if it at Lowe's this weekend - so $233.55 spent for $250 is something I can live with if I didn't earn miles.

When GC.com ended their recent 3% promo early and abruptly dropped their long term 3 miles/$ down to 1, I think they realized people were double dipping (miles + discount) and they weren't able to be (as) profitable on the transactions. They probably fixed the problem and then raised it back to 3 miles/$, so I'd guess anything we used to be able to do may not work going forward. Unless the promo is on the portal, it probably won't track. It just makes business sense.
Old Nov 14, 2022, 2:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
and

-----

Ahh, I see...

26I in turn will laugh when disaster strikes you; I will mock when calamity overtakes you
Its working out just fine, thanks for asking. Bought $2k worth of cards on Veterans Day in $250 increments; all points have already posted. Got paid $50 to earn 6,000 RDMs/LPs. Easy peasy.
Old Nov 14, 2022, 2:29 pm

and

-----

Originally Posted by majikTib
As another data point, I used the Mastercard promo and it didn't track despite the pretty little AA banner flying across the page. The Portal shows a site visit 3 days ago but without a transaction. I did it because it saved me $12+ on $250 and a slim chance at miles. Loaded it on to Slide and got 4% cash back on top if it at Lowe's this weekend - so $233.55 spent for $250 is something I can live with if I didn't earn miles.

When GC.com ended their recent 3% promo early and abruptly dropped their long term 3 miles/$ down to 1, I think they realized people were double dipping (miles + discount) and they weren't able to be (as) profitable on the transactions. They probably fixed the problem and then raised it back to 3 miles/$, so I'd guess anything we used to be able to do may not work going forward. Unless the promo is on the portal, it probably won't track. It just makes business sense.
​​​​​​​
2 orders this weekend with 5% code, full $255.95 tracked, full 768 miles tracked.
Old Nov 14, 2022, 2:53 pm

The VETERANSDAY code works fine, it's the amount(s) that people are charging that causes the delay. Buying one at a time usually tracks in a few hours and posts a few days later IME. Ordering more at a time slows things down at best it seems.
nk15 and Soccerjoshj07 like this.

Last edited by DeltaNeutral28; Nov 14, 2022 at 2:54 pm Reason: .

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.