Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2015, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
AAdvantage eShoppping by Cartera Commerce
Using, earning miles, problems, etc. (Consolidated thread)

American Airlines is not the contact for Cartera / AAdvantage eShopping .

AAdvantage eShopping FAQs and an e-contact form can be found via the "Contact Us" link at the bottom left corner of the home page.

If you have trouble getting purchases to track, there's also a browser extension to help.

Cartera website: http://www.cartera.com

Cartera Commerce, Inc.
One Cranberry Hill
Lexington, Massachusetts 02421

Tel. (781) 541-6800 Fax: (781) 541-6801

For general inquiries, please contact [email protected] or 888.456.6255
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST (Please do not alter contents following)

This thread is the sole thread to address issues with AAdvantage eShopping (operated by Cartera Commerce). Other queries or complaints will invariably end up merged into this thread. All posts must comply with FlyerTalk Guidelines and Rules / TOS, or may be summarily deleted or edited by moderators.

A related article, highlighting an interview of Cartera Commerce CEO Tom Bercher, is "Secrets of Cartera Commerce Revealed: Inside the Company that Brings You Miles for Online Shopping" by Gary Leff on March 3, 2014. Link.

As described in this thread, AAdvantage Shopping now offers a downloadable button installable on your desktop (not mobile) device to facilitate e-shopping. Link.

Older posts may be read at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...or-consol.html

Notes about Giftcards.com:
  • A separate thread exists for discussing Giftcards.com and likely has more data points than this generic thread.
  • Purchases from giftcards.com earn miles on the first $2,000 spent in the named calendar month, meaning for example between March 1st and March 31st. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • Giftcards.com has had various limits over the years, and it was always by calendar month.
  • Some data points show the $2,000 monthly limit is not always enforced. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • In 2022, larger orders track more slowly, and you may need to wait a full month to see miles. Strong advice from the thread is to make multiple small purchases (say under $300) rather than large ones to avoid the dreaded "manual review"
(Copied from the LP thread wiki): Once you click through the AAdvantage eShopping portal to a vendor offer and make a purchase, you will eventually get the associated miles posted to your AAdvantage account as both redeemable miles and Loyalty Points. If the merchant advertises an increase in the miles per dollar spent, you'll earn the higher amount in both redeemable miles and an equal number of Loyalty Points. The same applies if a merchant advertises a higher fixed amount per purchase, rather than a per dollar amount. Examples of this would appear on the portal as, "Extra miles. Was 1 mile/$. Now earn 3 miles/$" or "Extra miles. Was up to 3700 miles. Now up to 6200 miles." However, if the website advertises a "Limited-time bonus offer" for "bonus miles" after meeting a spending threshold, that bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points. If a bonus is offered for some site-wide activity such as 1000 miles for installing an extension, or 500 miles for enrolling in the portal, or 2000 miles for meeting a spending threshold across multiple merchants, the bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points.

Some anti-virus software silently blocks tracking, and you may want to consider disabling it for your purchase.
Print Wikipost

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2023, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by kimbray
OK, I have some recent stays that were BOOKED in AA's 2022 fiscal year, but were not PAID till AAs 2023 year. What explicitely happens for the LOYALITY points EARNED and when do they post on AAs side.
If they are BACK dated to 2022, I need to cancel and re-reserve bookings to ensure they hit AAs Loyality for 2023 as 2022 is already over and there is NO point to increase LOYALITY in a year that has already past, UNLESS I was still seeking status on 2022 Loyality year.
All the data points posted here seem to indicate that hotel bookings made via eShopping's portal link post for the date the reservation was made. Just like store purchases are done (and not by the shipped or delivered date). But this brings up an interesting aspect. While one is within the 6-month 20%/30% bonus time period, they could make future reservations for past that time period, and in theory, should still get those bonuses added onto them when they finally do post. Right?
chrisny2 and garkman like this.
Old Mar 28, 2023, 5:16 am

Programs: US Airways, American Airlines, United
An update on my inquiries with AAdvantage eShopping Customer Care. I sent my first email inquiry to AAdvantage eShopping Customer Care about not getting miles for two gift cards I purchased from giftcards.com on December 18, 2022, through the Shopping Mall. On January 17, 2023, I received an email from AAdvantage eShopping Customer Care acknowledging my inquiry and advising they would "respond as soon as possible." I never heard anything again. So on March 14, 2023, I once again sent an email to AAdvantage eShopping Customer Care inquiring about my miles. I received an email acknowledging my inquiry but nothing since. I wonder how many inquiries I will need to make before I get a substantive response.
Old Mar 28, 2023, 6:06 am

When I use the AA shopping portal, I dont get miles with 1800 flowers. However, when I forget and order via the site not through the aa shopping portal I always get the miles. Happened again. Will have to chase down the miles. Worth it for 700 miles
Old Mar 28, 2023, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pkr529
An update on my inquiries with AAdvantage eShopping Customer Care. I sent my first email inquiry to AAdvantage eShopping Customer Care about not getting miles for two gift cards I purchased from giftcards.com on December 18, 2022, through the Shopping Mall. On January 17, 2023, I received an email from AAdvantage eShopping Customer Care acknowledging my inquiry and advising they would "respond as soon as possible." I never heard anything again. So on March 14, 2023, I once again sent an email to AAdvantage eShopping Customer Care inquiring about my miles. I received an email acknowledging my inquiry but nothing since. I wonder how many inquiries I will need to make before I get a substantive response.
Realiatically, what's happened here is they have sent the case to gc.com to research. Since they are no longer partnered with Cartera, I'm guessing that that email is not exactly high priority.

You might have to follow up more than usual. I would send 1 email every week or 2 until you get a timeline.
BWISkyGuy likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2023, 8:05 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by WannaTheater
I did purchased an iPhone today under the 6x. Unlike most my other purchases, I did not get the little airplane, the "you are on your way to earning xxx," or the "congratulations, you earned xxx." AAshopping is showing I visited the Apple store, but isn't showing a purchase (I will check tomorrow).
A bit concerning. Hopefully it will track.
Looks like it did track, even though there was no indication at all during the purchase process. I don't recall seeing this for any other past purchases. But I am not complaining.
Old Mar 28, 2023, 8:10 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Looks like it did track, even though there was no indication at all during the purchase process. I don't recall seeing this for any other past purchases. But I am not complaining.
This is the behaviour I see for most of my portal transactions. It’s rare that I get the email / immediately see tracking information on the portal.
Old Mar 28, 2023, 9:04 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, National Exec, Hertz PC, Nexus
Originally Posted by Fanjet
All the data points posted here seem to indicate that hotel bookings made via eShopping's portal link post for the date the reservation was made. Just like store purchases are done (and not by the shipped or delivered date). But this brings up an interesting aspect. While one is within the 6-month 20%/30% bonus time period, they could make future reservations for past that time period, and in theory, should still get those bonuses added onto them when they finally do post. Right?
I've had success with this on at least one Marriott booking that posted several months after the promo. The bonus didn't post automatically, so I had to contact Cartera, but they posted the bonus with no fuss. IIRC, I received LPs as well. You wouldn't normally get bonus LPs on a promo.
Old Mar 31, 2023, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by vasantn
Yes. I just did The Motley Fool for the second year in a row and received near-immediate LP credit.
I tried it and it says I am not eligible for the $79 or $89 annual rates, only the $199 one. Did this happen to you? Any way to bypass? I went from outside, without logging into my account.
Old Apr 1, 2023, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by Fanjet
I just had a BOoking.com event POST on the Cartera portal. It posted on 3/10/23. This is in the AA loyalty 23 year, but on AA site, I had to go BACK to 3/27/22 to see the ESHOPPING post happen which had loyality and award miles happen in AAs 22 year. So basically I need to CANCEL AND REBOOK all events from 22 if I want to earn 23 Loyality. The Bonus piece of the equation is in the FUTURE, and I do not know how they are going to account for that.

So is SOMEONE has not gotten AA 22 status they want AND has reservations that were booked in 22 that have not posted, this would mean your Loyality level SHOULD increase EVEN if you are in the AA 23 year...I already had Executive Platinum so I wanted the below loyality points in AA 23 year. :-(
nk15 likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2023, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by kimbray
I just had a BOoking.com event POST on the Cartera portal. It posted on 3/10/23. This is in the AA loyalty 23 year, but on AA site, I had to go BACK to 3/27/22 to see the ESHOPPING post happen which had loyality and award miles happen in AAs 22 year. So basically I need to CANCEL AND REBOOK all events from 22 if I want to earn 23 Loyality. The Bonus piece of the equation is in the FUTURE, and I do not know how they are going to account for that.

So is SOMEONE has not gotten AA 22 status they want AND has reservations that were booked in 22 that have not posted, this would mean your Loyality level SHOULD increase EVEN if you are in the AA 23 year...I already had Executive Platinum so I wanted the below loyality points in AA 23 year. :-(
You may want to check out Bookaahotels.com or Rocketmiles.com.
There is a dedicated thread on Flyertalk about them (read the wiki at the beginning).

Bookaahotels vs RocketMiles - useability, experiences, questions, data points

You can get more points, sometimes at the trade off of needing to prepay. (They are front-ends to booking.com)
Old Apr 1, 2023, 9:33 am

You may want to check out Bookaahotels.com or Rocketmiles.com.
There is a dedicated thread on Flyertalk about them (read the wiki at the beginning).

Bookaahotels vs RocketMiles - useability, experiences, questions, data points

You can get more points, sometimes at the trade off of needing to prepay. (They are front-ends to booking.com)

Agreed. All of these trips are International so much less availabity on the AA/RocketMile sites compared to Booking.com. Also I look to book directly with hotels as well and compate costs + loyality points. As an example booking for hotel directly for a place in Switzerland on Rocketmiles is $3,300 plus 35K miles, but directly with hotel is $2,500 and includes better cancellation policy.
WannaTheater likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2023, 10:24 am

Yes. I just did The Motley Fool for the second year in a row and received near-immediate LP credit.
qq. Do you resub after the cancelled anniversary date or it doesn't matter? Also do you need to use a different email? thanks.
Old Apr 1, 2023, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by nk15
I tried it and it says I am not eligible for the $79 or $89 annual rates, only the $199 one. Did this happen to you? Any way to bypass? I went from outside, without logging into my account.
Nope, no issues at all.
Originally Posted by sof_lance
Do you resub after the cancelled anniversary date ...? Also do you need to use a different email?
Yes and no.
Old Apr 1, 2023, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Nope, no issues at all.

Yes and no.
I guess they use the cancellation anniversary date then, you have to re-subscribe one year after your cancellation date. I think I waited for a while to cancel, so I have to wait again...
Old Apr 1, 2023, 5:51 pm

Nope, no issues at all.

Yes and no.
For clarification- did you wait for a year after the day you cancelled?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.