Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2015, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
AAdvantage eShoppping by Cartera Commerce
Using, earning miles, problems, etc. (Consolidated thread)

American Airlines is not the contact for Cartera / AAdvantage eShopping .

AAdvantage eShopping FAQs and an e-contact form can be found via the "Contact Us" link at the bottom left corner of the home page.

If you have trouble getting purchases to track, there's also a browser extension to help.

Cartera website: http://www.cartera.com

Cartera Commerce, Inc.
One Cranberry Hill
Lexington, Massachusetts 02421

Tel. (781) 541-6800 Fax: (781) 541-6801

For general inquiries, please contact [email protected] or 888.456.6255
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST (Please do not alter contents following)

This thread is the sole thread to address issues with AAdvantage eShopping (operated by Cartera Commerce). Other queries or complaints will invariably end up merged into this thread. All posts must comply with FlyerTalk Guidelines and Rules / TOS, or may be summarily deleted or edited by moderators.

A related article, highlighting an interview of Cartera Commerce CEO Tom Bercher, is "Secrets of Cartera Commerce Revealed: Inside the Company that Brings You Miles for Online Shopping" by Gary Leff on March 3, 2014. Link.

As described in this thread, AAdvantage Shopping now offers a downloadable button installable on your desktop (not mobile) device to facilitate e-shopping. Link.

Older posts may be read at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...or-consol.html

Notes about Giftcards.com:
  • A separate thread exists for discussing Giftcards.com and likely has more data points than this generic thread.
  • Purchases from giftcards.com earn miles on the first $2,000 spent in the named calendar month, meaning for example between March 1st and March 31st. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • Giftcards.com has had various limits over the years, and it was always by calendar month.
  • Some data points show the $2,000 monthly limit is not always enforced. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • In 2022, larger orders track more slowly, and you may need to wait a full month to see miles. Strong advice from the thread is to make multiple small purchases (say under $300) rather than large ones to avoid the dreaded "manual review"
(Copied from the LP thread wiki): Once you click through the AAdvantage eShopping portal to a vendor offer and make a purchase, you will eventually get the associated miles posted to your AAdvantage account as both redeemable miles and Loyalty Points. If the merchant advertises an increase in the miles per dollar spent, you'll earn the higher amount in both redeemable miles and an equal number of Loyalty Points. The same applies if a merchant advertises a higher fixed amount per purchase, rather than a per dollar amount. Examples of this would appear on the portal as, "Extra miles. Was 1 mile/$. Now earn 3 miles/$" or "Extra miles. Was up to 3700 miles. Now up to 6200 miles." However, if the website advertises a "Limited-time bonus offer" for "bonus miles" after meeting a spending threshold, that bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points. If a bonus is offered for some site-wide activity such as 1000 miles for installing an extension, or 500 miles for enrolling in the portal, or 2000 miles for meeting a spending threshold across multiple merchants, the bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points.

Some anti-virus software silently blocks tracking, and you may want to consider disabling it for your purchase.
Print Wikipost

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2023, 9:31 am

Programs: AC, AA, TK, OW Emerald
Does anyone know if you can get separate LPs if I subscribe to ESPN+ and Disney+ separately?
They are offered as separate subscriptions, but also bundled together since they're owned by Disney. Interestingly enough, signing up for a more expensive bundle appears to give fewer LPs/miles than signing up for ESPN+ or Disney+ alone.
I figure that if I sign up for both of them with the same email address, that may cause issues with earning double bonuses, so I could get around that by using different email addresses.
But I don't know if Cartera would block double earnings based on the same AA FF# being credited?

Old Mar 8, 2023, 9:46 am

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, & EP 2024-25; Southwest A-List
Hmmm, so I've done several thread searches, and did not find the answer to my question, so please forgive me if this has already been answered elsewhere, I just was unable to find it.

On Feb 25th, I purchased ~$620 worth of Ted Baker items through AAdvantage e-Shopping portal (items I legitimately wanted). The promo was for 10x points, which got me just over my 125K threshold to qualify for PP. The items just arrived, and one of them is a winter overcoat that just doesn't fit and the other is a shirt that is not what I thought it would be (material is not great). I want to go to my local Ted Baker retail outlet to see if I can find the coat in a size that fits me, and to see if I can swap the shirt for something else that I like, but am not sure what will happen if I can't find proper replacements. If I am unable to find suitable replacements, will my LPs get dialed back retroactively and I'll end up losing the LPs and PP status? Or will AA decrement this status year's LPs, so that I would have to earn ~131K LPs to requalify for PP for the year beginning Mar 2024? In the event that I can make an exchange, is there a difference between return and exchange for purposes of retaining (or losing) LPs?

Any help/guidance/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Old Mar 8, 2023, 9:57 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by onlyquestions
Hmmm, so I've done several thread searches, and did not find the answer to my question, so please forgive me if this has already been answered elsewhere, I just was unable to find it.

On Feb 25th, I purchased ~$620 worth of Ted Baker items through AAdvantage e-Shopping portal (items I legitimately wanted). The promo was for 10x points, which got me just over my 125K threshold to qualify for PP. The items just arrived, and one of them is a winter overcoat that just doesn't fit and the other is a shirt that is not what I thought it would be (material is not great). I want to go to my local Ted Baker retail outlet to see if I can find the coat in a size that fits me, and to see if I can swap the shirt for something else that I like, but am not sure what will happen if I can't find proper replacements. If I am unable to find suitable replacements, will my LPs get dialed back retroactively and I'll end up losing the LPs and PP status? Or will AA decrement this status year's LPs, so that I would have to earn ~131K LPs to requalify for PP for the year beginning Mar 2024? In the event that I can make an exchange, is there a difference between return and exchange for purposes of retaining (or losing) LPs?

In the many RDM clawbacks I had last year, not a single LP was also clawed back. I don't think there have been any reports of LPs ever being clawed back.
Antarius and nineworldseries like this.
Old Mar 8, 2023, 10:53 am

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, & EP 2024-25; Southwest A-List
Originally Posted by AirricK11
In the many RDM clawbacks I had last year, not a single LP was also clawed back. I don't think there have been any reports of LPs ever being clawed back.
Thank you for the response!
Old Mar 8, 2023, 1:50 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
Originally Posted by AirricK11
I agree and have seen the same. However I think AA would be within their rights to claw back the LPs, so if I was close enough for it to matter on status level I might not risk it.
Antarius likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2023, 2:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
EDITED: Bad DP. I have not had any LPs clawed back.
Antarius likes this.

Last edited by A CT Yankee; Mar 9, 2023 at 12:36 am
Old Mar 9, 2023, 11:59 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Plat Pro
Back in December and January I made a lot of purchases through AA eShopping / Viator. I am expecting well over 10,000 loyalty points from these purchases, a large part of my requalification plans for this year. If you don't know, Viator sells tours (like shore excursions, city tours, etc.) The miles do not post until the tour is completed. All of the tours I purchased are taking place well after March 1 when the Loyalty Points resets to zero. I am very concerned that all of the loyalty points I will earn from my numerous Viator tours will be backdated to last year. As an example, I also purchased a Viator tour in December, and took the tour in late January. When the tour was finally completed, the miles posted to AA and they were backdated as of the early December purchase date. That did not matter since the purchase and tour both took place in the same loyalty points year.

This is very concerning to me. 10,000 points posting to last year is not enough to push me over from Platinum to Platinum Pro, so I need these 10,000 LPs to count for this year.

I've put a ticked into Cartera/AA eShopping, but no matter what they say, I am worried. I'd cancel the tours and rebook, but the prices have gone up a lot, the miles offer has gone down a lot, blah blah....

Thanks if you know!
Old Mar 9, 2023, 3:40 pm

Programs: SEN LH Hyatt Globalist AA EXP
Originally Posted by tommybananas
Back in December and January I made a lot of purchases through AA eShopping / Viator. I am expecting well over 10,000 loyalty points from these purchases, a large part of my requalification plans for this year. If you don't know, Viator sells tours (like shore excursions, city tours, etc.) The miles do not post until the tour is completed. All of the tours I purchased are taking place well after March 1 when the Loyalty Points resets to zero. I am very concerned that all of the loyalty points I will earn from my numerous Viator tours will be backdated to last year. As an example, I also purchased a Viator tour in December, and took the tour in late January. When the tour was finally completed, the miles posted to AA and they were backdated as of the early December purchase date. That did not matter since the purchase and tour both took place in the same loyalty points year.

This is very concerning to me. 10,000 points posting to last year is not enough to push me over from Platinum to Platinum Pro, so I need these 10,000 LPs to count for this year.

I've put a ticked into Cartera/AA eShopping, but no matter what they say, I am worried. I'd cancel the tours and rebook, but the prices have gone up a lot, the miles offer has gone down a lot, blah blah....

Thanks if you know!
Unfortunately, in my experience the points from Viator are awarded after the actual tour is taken, but with the date of purchase. I don't know if they changed their policy, but this is what happened to me last year.
Old Mar 9, 2023, 6:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by onlyquestions

Earlier this year I made one purchase for several items at Home Depot, and was given the LP's for the full purchase in one deposit. A couple weeks later I returned one of the items, and a couple days later the LP's for just that one item was deducted from my account.

Several times I have had to email Customer Service because Home Depot didn't award the proper amount of LP's on an "extra mile" day. A couple other times the purchase didn't get credited at all, in fact I am still waiting right now for retroactive points from last month that will push me to EXP. Home Depot is the most generous with extra mile days, but I get tired of constantly having to chase them down so I lean towards Ace Hardware (usually 2x) or Lowe's (1x) unless it is a large enough purchase to be worth chasing down the correct LP's from Home Depot.
Old Mar 12, 2023, 2:03 pm

Programs: AA
Made an eshopping purchase on Feb 20th at Adidas running a 10x promo. The miles did not credit and I've now submitted a missing miles query. Will they backdate and at the promo rate? I needed these miles to meet my LP requirement cut off of Feb 28th.
Old Mar 12, 2023, 2:14 pm

Yes they backdate without asking
Old Mar 12, 2023, 8:50 pm

Programs: NWA WorldPerks, UA Mileage Plus & CX Marco Polo
But now that the tracker for LP has reset to 2023, Is there any easy way to see what you earned in LP for the prior year without manually adding it all up?
Old Mar 13, 2023, 1:23 am

Programs: AA EXP and Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ryanjudy
But now that the tracker for LP has reset to 2023, Is there any easy way to see what you earned in LP for the prior year without manually adding it all up?
The website has a little blurb in my account telling me how many LPs I earned last year.

Antarius and Illinwu like this.
Old Mar 13, 2023, 5:12 am

Programs: US Airways, American Airlines, United
I used the AA Shopping Mall to purchase two gift cards from giftcards.com on December 18, 2022. After a few went by, I looked at the Shopping Mall and saw that giftcards.com had been removed. That raised some concerns since the miles I earned from this purchase had yet to post. As a result, I sent an inquiry to AAdvantage eShopping Customer Care about this purchase. On January 17, 2023, I received an email from AAdvantage eShopping Customer Care on January 17, 2023, acknowledging my inquiry and advising they would "respond as soon as possible." I have since heard crickets. Does anyone know what my next step should be?
Old Mar 13, 2023, 5:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
deleted

Last edited by nk15; Mar 13, 2023 at 6:04 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.