Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2015, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
AAdvantage eShoppping by Cartera Commerce
Using, earning miles, problems, etc. (Consolidated thread)

American Airlines is not the contact for Cartera / AAdvantage eShopping .

AAdvantage eShopping FAQs and an e-contact form can be found via the "Contact Us" link at the bottom left corner of the home page.

If you have trouble getting purchases to track, there's also a browser extension to help.

Cartera website: http://www.cartera.com

Cartera Commerce, Inc.
One Cranberry Hill
Lexington, Massachusetts 02421

Tel. (781) 541-6800 Fax: (781) 541-6801

For general inquiries, please contact [email protected] or 888.456.6255
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST (Please do not alter contents following)

This thread is the sole thread to address issues with AAdvantage eShopping (operated by Cartera Commerce). Other queries or complaints will invariably end up merged into this thread. All posts must comply with FlyerTalk Guidelines and Rules / TOS, or may be summarily deleted or edited by moderators.

A related article, highlighting an interview of Cartera Commerce CEO Tom Bercher, is "Secrets of Cartera Commerce Revealed: Inside the Company that Brings You Miles for Online Shopping" by Gary Leff on March 3, 2014. Link.

As described in this thread, AAdvantage Shopping now offers a downloadable button installable on your desktop (not mobile) device to facilitate e-shopping. Link.

Older posts may be read at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...or-consol.html

Notes about Giftcards.com:
  • A separate thread exists for discussing Giftcards.com and likely has more data points than this generic thread.
  • Purchases from giftcards.com earn miles on the first $2,000 spent in the named calendar month, meaning for example between March 1st and March 31st. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • Giftcards.com has had various limits over the years, and it was always by calendar month.
  • Some data points show the $2,000 monthly limit is not always enforced. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • In 2022, larger orders track more slowly, and you may need to wait a full month to see miles. Strong advice from the thread is to make multiple small purchases (say under $300) rather than large ones to avoid the dreaded "manual review"
(Copied from the LP thread wiki): Once you click through the AAdvantage eShopping portal to a vendor offer and make a purchase, you will eventually get the associated miles posted to your AAdvantage account as both redeemable miles and Loyalty Points. If the merchant advertises an increase in the miles per dollar spent, you'll earn the higher amount in both redeemable miles and an equal number of Loyalty Points. The same applies if a merchant advertises a higher fixed amount per purchase, rather than a per dollar amount. Examples of this would appear on the portal as, "Extra miles. Was 1 mile/$. Now earn 3 miles/$" or "Extra miles. Was up to 3700 miles. Now up to 6200 miles." However, if the website advertises a "Limited-time bonus offer" for "bonus miles" after meeting a spending threshold, that bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points. If a bonus is offered for some site-wide activity such as 1000 miles for installing an extension, or 500 miles for enrolling in the portal, or 2000 miles for meeting a spending threshold across multiple merchants, the bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points.

Some anti-virus software silently blocks tracking, and you may want to consider disabling it for your purchase.
Print Wikipost

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2023, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by anc305
Booked Hilton in Feb. Stayed and payed in Mar. Posted as Feb points.
IME it's always been the booking date that determines the effective posting date.
Old Mar 16, 2023, 10:58 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Originally Posted by vasantn
IME it's always been the booking date that determines the effective posting date.
And it's safe to say that for really any of the AA Shopping merchants, it's the date that you click through AA Shopping that is the posting date of record, regardless of when you receive the goods/hotel/tour. (Sometimes manually added points don't follow that rule.)
vasantn and Mr. BoH like this.
Old Mar 16, 2023, 12:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Marriott Titanium
For those who shop there, Sephora is 12mi/$ today and that only happens maybe once or twice a year - if that.
GVR Bill, njvandy, 355F1 and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 18, 2023, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by Drwaz99
For those who shop there, Sephora is 12mi/$ today and that only happens maybe once or twice a year - if that.
Cautionary tale so any other newbees to AA eShopping do not make my mistake. In my haste to make purchases at the 11th hour --- to secure the 12mi/$ -- I forgot ---- Tax does not count towards the spending requirement for LPs.

Obviously, my own fault. Still, a frustrating experience, with a good amount of time wasted and no LPs to boot. Not to mention the time I'll now spend returning the items for full refund. (Nothing I needed or even particularly wanted - it was all for an 'easy score' of 1200 LPs.)

Lesson Learned. Good news is I doubt anyone makes this mistake twice. 🙄

3/20 update: Not certain why this worked out, but I received the LPs this morning. Either my recollect is bad on the spend requirement or got lucky.

Last edited by cmtlatitudes; Mar 20, 2023 at 6:55 am Reason: added update
Old Mar 20, 2023, 9:24 am

Programs: AAdvantage Gold
I signed up for both the Motley Fool and WSJ subscriptions on AA eshopping on Friday last week (17th March).

Got confirmation emails the next day that my orders were being tracked.

Received emails this morning confirming that I have earned miles via both of those orders, and confirming the number of miles for each (6200 for MF, 1000 for WSJ). They haven't posted to my account as yet, but I'll update when they do.
Illinwu likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 10:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Does anyone know what time the offer / miles per dollar amount changes? I am guessing it's midnight EST. I've had a few times where I went to make a purchase and boom the credit amount dropped from 4mi/$ to 2 or 1.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by Anduril
I signed up for both the Motley Fool and WSJ subscriptions on AA eshopping on Friday last week (17th March).

Received emails this morning confirming that I have earned miles via both of those orders, and confirming the number of miles for each (6200 for MF, 1000 for WSJ). They haven't posted to my account as yet, but I'll update when they do.
I joined you with Motley Fool, Barron's, WSJ and MarketWatch today for 9300 LP's. Long road to 200k without Giftcards.com and eBay this year though....
Anduril likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2023, 12:29 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by Drwaz99
I have a couple grand in purchases coming for some shoes but I’m waiting for Saks or Neiman Marcus to get up to 8-10x again….
Drwaz99 likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2023, 5:08 am

Programs: AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by Anduril

LPs posted promptly to my account this morning.
Old Mar 21, 2023, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by Pinned
Does anyone know what time the offer / miles per dollar amount changes? I am guessing it's midnight EST. I've had a few times where I went to make a purchase and boom the credit amount dropped from 4mi/$ to 2 or 1.
I think just before midnight EST, like 11:30 or :45, but it's close to there.
Old Mar 21, 2023, 2:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by Pinned
Originally Posted by Soccerjoshj07
I think just before midnight EST, like 11:30 or :45, but it's close to there.
I think I've noticed similar timing for when earnings revert back to the "normal" levels, although I remember some might have gone up until midnight ET.

Anyone noticed a pattern for time of day when any earning level increases are posted?
Old Mar 21, 2023, 7:23 pm

Programs: AA PP; Bonvoy SE
Originally Posted by econ
I think I've noticed similar timing for when earnings revert back to the "normal" levels, although I remember some might have gone up until midnight ET.

Anyone noticed a pattern for time of day when any earning level increases are posted?
98% of changes happen at midnight ET, both up and down. Most big promos last for 24 hours, which is why loyal point hunters is helpful for maximizing opportunity. If you don't catch it, it's gone
Old Mar 22, 2023, 8:25 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Just wanted to give Under Armour a shoutout - 12 LP/$ a few days ago and they posted within 2-3 days! Incredible and the polar opposite of Adidas.
Old Mar 22, 2023, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by no1cub17
Just wanted to give Under Armour a shoutout - 12 LP/$ a few days ago and they posted within 2-3 days! Incredible and the polar opposite of Adidas.

And another shoutout - this one to Moosejaw. Monday they had a 6 pts/dollar extra miles offer, I made a purchase and my points posted TUESDAY! Wow! Polar opposite of gift cards.com --btw I FINALLY got my points for a late November, 2022 purchase after months of haggling, being told first that my purchase didn't qualify, then when I pushed back it magically DID qualify (surprise!! not!), then being told the merchant hadn't paid commission and they'd have to (once again!!) spend 4-8 weeks researching. In the end I got what I was entitled to, but WHAT A LOT OF WORK! Lesson learned, don't get greedy and use Flyertalk wisdom.
LittleBird likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2023, 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by majikTib
98% of changes happen at midnight ET, both up and down. Most big promos last for 24 hours, which is why loyal point hunters is helpful for maximizing opportunity. If you don't catch it, it's gone
interesting service. you have a promo for their service handy?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.