Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2015, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
AAdvantage eShoppping by Cartera Commerce
Using, earning miles, problems, etc. (Consolidated thread)

American Airlines is not the contact for Cartera / AAdvantage eShopping .

AAdvantage eShopping FAQs and an e-contact form can be found via the "Contact Us" link at the bottom left corner of the home page.

If you have trouble getting purchases to track, there's also a browser extension to help.

Cartera website: http://www.cartera.com

Cartera Commerce, Inc.
One Cranberry Hill
Lexington, Massachusetts 02421

Tel. (781) 541-6800 Fax: (781) 541-6801

For general inquiries, please contact [email protected] or 888.456.6255
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST (Please do not alter contents following)

This thread is the sole thread to address issues with AAdvantage eShopping (operated by Cartera Commerce). Other queries or complaints will invariably end up merged into this thread. All posts must comply with FlyerTalk Guidelines and Rules / TOS, or may be summarily deleted or edited by moderators.

A related article, highlighting an interview of Cartera Commerce CEO Tom Bercher, is "Secrets of Cartera Commerce Revealed: Inside the Company that Brings You Miles for Online Shopping" by Gary Leff on March 3, 2014. Link.

As described in this thread, AAdvantage Shopping now offers a downloadable button installable on your desktop (not mobile) device to facilitate e-shopping. Link.

Older posts may be read at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...or-consol.html

Notes about Giftcards.com:
  • A separate thread exists for discussing Giftcards.com and likely has more data points than this generic thread.
  • Purchases from giftcards.com earn miles on the first $2,000 spent in the named calendar month, meaning for example between March 1st and March 31st. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • Giftcards.com has had various limits over the years, and it was always by calendar month.
  • Some data points show the $2,000 monthly limit is not always enforced. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • In 2022, larger orders track more slowly, and you may need to wait a full month to see miles. Strong advice from the thread is to make multiple small purchases (say under $300) rather than large ones to avoid the dreaded "manual review"
(Copied from the LP thread wiki): Once you click through the AAdvantage eShopping portal to a vendor offer and make a purchase, you will eventually get the associated miles posted to your AAdvantage account as both redeemable miles and Loyalty Points. If the merchant advertises an increase in the miles per dollar spent, you'll earn the higher amount in both redeemable miles and an equal number of Loyalty Points. The same applies if a merchant advertises a higher fixed amount per purchase, rather than a per dollar amount. Examples of this would appear on the portal as, "Extra miles. Was 1 mile/$. Now earn 3 miles/$" or "Extra miles. Was up to 3700 miles. Now up to 6200 miles." However, if the website advertises a "Limited-time bonus offer" for "bonus miles" after meeting a spending threshold, that bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points. If a bonus is offered for some site-wide activity such as 1000 miles for installing an extension, or 500 miles for enrolling in the portal, or 2000 miles for meeting a spending threshold across multiple merchants, the bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points.

Some anti-virus software silently blocks tracking, and you may want to consider disabling it for your purchase.
Print Wikipost

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2023, 4:28 pm

Are others transactions with GCC posting in their AA shopping accounts? Mine have not tracked. Same browser that works for everything else, I see the visits, etc. Orders actually cleared on two separate days. But I don't see the actual transactions at AA eshopping
Old Aug 30, 2023, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Paul Weber
Are others transactions with GCC posting in their AA shopping accounts? Mine have not tracked. Same browser that works for everything else, I see the visits, etc. Orders actually cleared on two separate days. But I don't see the actual transactions at AA eshopping
Yes, they all track within hours and post within 2-3 days for me.

Seeing the visit just means that you clicked the link on the portal; it doesn't imply any communication between the portal and the site. You will see it no matter what.

Standard advice is to get a "clean" browser (no add-ons installed, and not Safari) that you don't use for anything else, and use it for this. The fact that your current setup works for some merchants doesn't mean that it will work for all of them, because there are different ways to do tracking.
Mr. BoH likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2023, 4:38 pm

Programs: AC, AA, TK, OW Emerald
I had the same problem. GC purchases made with the same browser and settings as used for other stores didn’t track. After switching to Chrome incognito mode, purchases started to track properly.
Old Aug 30, 2023, 4:48 pm

Same for me. Was working for a few of my giftcards.com purchases last week, but on the last few from giftcards.com they have not tracked at all. It has been a few days. Nothing has changed.
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Yes, they all track within hours and post within 2-3 days for me.

Seeing the visit just means that you clicked the link on the portal; it doesn't imply any communication between the portal and the site. You will see it no matter what.

Standard advice is to get a "clean" browser (no add-ons installed, and not Safari) that you don't use for anything else, and use it for this. The fact that your current setup works for some merchants doesn't mean that it will work for all of them, because there are different ways to do tracking.
So what is the suggested resolution. How many days should I wait until contacting Cartera?
Old Aug 30, 2023, 4:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
Originally Posted by LovePrunes
correct me if i'm wrong, i just visited giftcards.com and there's literally NOTHING BUT gift cards to buy from them!
True! But most of the gift cards they sell are branded. In other words, they are able to buy gift cards in bulk from, say, Chipotle at a significant discount and then sell to consumers at face value to make a profit even after promotions and mileage referral costs. Chipotle does this as a marketing expenditure to get more people to buy burritos from them. So this is sustainable, at least in theory.

Visa gift cards are very different. Visa isn’t promoting a “product” so they aren’t going to sell gc.com visa giftcards at a discount; in fact they would typically sell at a modest fee. It is the Visa gc piece I am saying is unsustainable in a vacuum.
LovePrunes likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2023, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mr. BoH
True! But most of the gift cards they sell are branded. In other words, they are able to buy gift cards in bulk from, say, Chipotle at a significant discount and then sell to consumers at face value to make a profit even after promotions and mileage referral costs. Chipotle does this as a marketing expenditure to get more people to buy burritos from them. So this is sustainable, at least in theory.

Visa gift cards are very different. Visa isn’t promoting a “product” so they aren’t going to sell gc.com visa giftcards at a discount; in fact they would typically sell at a modest fee. It is the Visa gc piece I am saying is unsustainable in a vacuum.
But they push the Visa and Mastercard GCs harder than anything else. They are right at the top of the page.

Selling them at a 10% discount obviously is not sustainable but that's a sale with a very limited quantity, that "sold out" after a couple of days despite the sale period being advertised a being about 10 days. It's just a marketing expense.

I'm sure that they get the cards at a slight discount to face value, and there is an activation fee on top of that, so I have no doubt that these are profitable for them.

The branded gift cards are probably more profitable, but I doubt that they make up a large portion of their sales. Most people know that you can get branded GCs at a steep discount (particularly for restaurants). I just recently bought 2x$50 for Red Robin for $75 from Costco (regular price is $80 but there was a $5 discount for a couple of days). And Costco is still making profit from that ... I can't imagine what their cost is. Half of face value?
Old Aug 30, 2023, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Mr. BoH
I think they must be using a loss leader strategy. How else could they be selling a $100 gift card for $95 plus paying AA?
gc.com may not be buying them at face value though.
CJ99 likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2023, 6:38 pm

Tried just now, looks like EOS10OFF and EOSSAVE is not working, got the message the "promotion is not active currently"
Old Aug 30, 2023, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by miuk
Tried just now, looks like EOS10OFF and EOSSAVE is not working, got the message the "promotion is not active currently"
It's been listed as "sold out" for a while. They apparently hit their limit around the 3rd ir 4th day of the offer.

If you go to "promos" from the main page you'll see it at the bottom of the list, marked "sold out"
Old Aug 30, 2023, 7:05 pm

It's been listed as "sold out" for a while. They apparently hit their limit around the 3rd ir 4th day of the offer.

If you go to "promos" from the main page you'll see it at the bottom of the list, marked "sold out"
Thanks. Looks like I snooze I lose. Only bought $300 but was slow in the follow up.
Old Aug 30, 2023, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Visa eGift (under brands on giftcards.com) is back. 1% back in store credit and works with Google wallet. And my order didn't get cancelled.

Edit: well this is new. When I go to get the card it says "cvv2 error*" in red letters under cvv2.

My health insurance premiums don't require a security code for some reason (even though they run as debit) so I can (hopefully) still drain the card, but this would stop me from adding it to Google wallet or using it on a lot of places online.
Mr. BoH and Antarius like this.

Last edited by VegasGambler; Aug 30, 2023 at 7:53 pm
Old Aug 30, 2023, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Edit: well this is new. When I go to get the card it says "cvv2 error*" in red letters under cvv2.
I know it's poor form to double post but I wanted to make sure that this gets bumped. This did resolve itself within an hour or so.

Where I tried to get the gift card right after purchase, it did not redirect me through the screen where you active it by entering your phone number and agreeing to the terms, it sent me straight to the gift card. The CVV2 was showing the error.

I went through the flow again and this time it led me through the normal activation screen, and then gave me the gift card with all the information.

The account number and expiration were unchanged; the CVV2 was just correctly filled in So don't panic if this happens to you (and I would not waste time trying to call giftcardmall; I could not figure out a way through their automated phone tree to talk to a human, and you can't do much without entering a CVV2). They don't seem to have anything invested in customer service.
Mr. BoH likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2023, 5:28 am

The site does seem a bit glitchy…i have a few $100 virtual gift cards left and today when i click “redeem” i get an error code and can’t get to the card info. This shows up on a white screen. Hopefully it resolves itself.

{"errorCode":"502","message":"com.bhn.general.serv ice.error"}
Old Aug 31, 2023, 6:37 am

Programs: AC, AA, TK, OW Emerald
Originally Posted by Dr. B
Same for me. Was working for a few of my giftcards.com purchases last week, but on the last few from giftcards.com they have not tracked at all. It has been a few days. Nothing has changed.

So what is the suggested resolution. How many days should I wait until contacting Cartera?
Cartera won't let you open a miles credit inquiry until 15 days after the purchase.
Old Aug 31, 2023, 7:00 am

Can you elaborate? I have never done anything that could be considered manufactured spend but I'm curious....
Sure it started some years back when both GCs.com and GCM.com both owned by BHN limited the max value of V/MC GCs to $250 in value (previously it was $500). Next BHN capped the limit on debit transactions at certain commonly used MS venues to around $99 (they dropped it from no limit to $99 in several stages over several days when first introduced). Over time more chains were hit with the cap. Most recently of all they started implementing velocity limits more broadly which impacted both debit and credit transactions. Simon Mall which has sold BHN gift cards for years and is MS friendly is just finishing up a move away because of all of these changes. I am sure there are a few more I am forgetting. Some of the more recent changes are discussed here: Ongoing MS Gebit BHN breakdown .

Edit: To add for clarity all the issues I am talking about above are related to the use of physical V/MC gift cards at brick and mortar locations. I am not aware of any specific issues with online usage.
VegasGambler likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.