Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2015, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
AAdvantage eShoppping by Cartera Commerce
Using, earning miles, problems, etc. (Consolidated thread)

American Airlines is not the contact for Cartera / AAdvantage eShopping .

AAdvantage eShopping FAQs and an e-contact form can be found via the "Contact Us" link at the bottom left corner of the home page.

If you have trouble getting purchases to track, there's also a browser extension to help.

Cartera website: http://www.cartera.com

Cartera Commerce, Inc.
One Cranberry Hill
Lexington, Massachusetts 02421

Tel. (781) 541-6800 Fax: (781) 541-6801

For general inquiries, please contact [email protected] or 888.456.6255
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST (Please do not alter contents following)

This thread is the sole thread to address issues with AAdvantage eShopping (operated by Cartera Commerce). Other queries or complaints will invariably end up merged into this thread. All posts must comply with FlyerTalk Guidelines and Rules / TOS, or may be summarily deleted or edited by moderators.

A related article, highlighting an interview of Cartera Commerce CEO Tom Bercher, is "Secrets of Cartera Commerce Revealed: Inside the Company that Brings You Miles for Online Shopping" by Gary Leff on March 3, 2014. Link.

As described in this thread, AAdvantage Shopping now offers a downloadable button installable on your desktop (not mobile) device to facilitate e-shopping. Link.

Older posts may be read at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...or-consol.html

Notes about Giftcards.com:
  • A separate thread exists for discussing Giftcards.com and likely has more data points than this generic thread.
  • Purchases from giftcards.com earn miles on the first $2,000 spent in the named calendar month, meaning for example between March 1st and March 31st. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • Giftcards.com has had various limits over the years, and it was always by calendar month.
  • Some data points show the $2,000 monthly limit is not always enforced. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • In 2022, larger orders track more slowly, and you may need to wait a full month to see miles. Strong advice from the thread is to make multiple small purchases (say under $300) rather than large ones to avoid the dreaded "manual review"
(Copied from the LP thread wiki): Once you click through the AAdvantage eShopping portal to a vendor offer and make a purchase, you will eventually get the associated miles posted to your AAdvantage account as both redeemable miles and Loyalty Points. If the merchant advertises an increase in the miles per dollar spent, you'll earn the higher amount in both redeemable miles and an equal number of Loyalty Points. The same applies if a merchant advertises a higher fixed amount per purchase, rather than a per dollar amount. Examples of this would appear on the portal as, "Extra miles. Was 1 mile/$. Now earn 3 miles/$" or "Extra miles. Was up to 3700 miles. Now up to 6200 miles." However, if the website advertises a "Limited-time bonus offer" for "bonus miles" after meeting a spending threshold, that bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points. If a bonus is offered for some site-wide activity such as 1000 miles for installing an extension, or 500 miles for enrolling in the portal, or 2000 miles for meeting a spending threshold across multiple merchants, the bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points.

Some anti-virus software silently blocks tracking, and you may want to consider disabling it for your purchase.
Print Wikipost

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2023, 7:53 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Originally Posted by AirborneLocksmith
Cartera won't let you open a miles credit inquiry until 15 days after the purchase.
I think, more precisely, it's on day 16 that you can open an inquiry for missing miles. I have however sent inquiries for clawbacks pretty much after they happenned if I think they were wrong. Had a Zoro purchase clawback -- I think perhaps it was done because of a coupon code that I put in (which didn't work - the items were coupon excluded) and that ended up tracking with my purchase all the way through despite refreshing my browser and cart,.. Hopefully can get my miles back..

-----------
All of the gc purchases I bothered with made it through. All posted to my aadvantage account about 48 hours later, except one that took 5 days for no apparent reason.

My Samsung purchase tracked but didn't post from mid August. It was the 16th day yesterday so sent an inquiry. I am sure since it was a $1,000 purchase on a 10x point day, it went to whatever manual queue.
Old Aug 31, 2023, 9:30 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, WOH Globalist
Originally Posted by Paul Weber
Are others transactions with GCC posting in their AA shopping accounts? Mine have not tracked. Same browser that works for everything else, I see the visits, etc. Orders actually cleared on two separate days. But I don't see the actual transactions at AA eshopping
I'm glad I'm not the only one. I use the portal quite a bit (3-5x per week) and have never had any issues with any other vendors tracking.

I've made 12 successful purchases since 8/22 on GiftCards.com and nothing has tracked, never showing up in Recent Transactions and never indicating a completed transaction under Recent Store Visits.

WalMart, BestBuy, Ace Hardware and other vendors have tracked for me during this time period with no issues.

Of course I'll contact Cartera after the 15 days are up but it's a shame because I otherwise would be making more purchases now.

I don't feel like taking on the risk of buying more until I know I'm going to get the miles. Hopefully they stay on the portal for a while...
nk15 likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2023, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by njvandy
I'm glad I'm not the only one. I use the portal quite a bit (3-5x per week) and have never had any issues with any other vendors tracking.

I've made 12 successful purchases since 8/22 on GiftCards.com and nothing has tracked, never showing up in Recent Transactions and never indicating a completed transaction under Recent Store Visits.

WalMart, BestBuy, Ace Hardware and other vendors have tracked for me during this time period with no issues.

Of course I'll contact Cartera after the 15 days are up but it's a shame because I otherwise would be making more purchases now.

I don't feel like taking on the risk of buying more until I know I'm going to get the miles. Hopefully they stay on the portal for a while...
In the past AA portal has tracked quickly (within 12 hours) and I've purchased GC.com cards for more than a year now. I've never had problems with AA portal tracking GC.com until last week, when my first 8 transactions didn't track but my last 4 did. Maybe it's growing pains?
Old Aug 31, 2023, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would suggest changing your setup so that they all track, and then continuing to make whatever purchases you want. The problem is on your end here. You will probably get your miles but it could take months -- it's a lot easier to just fix your setup for future purchases than to continue making orders that won't track automatically.
Old Aug 31, 2023, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I would suggest changing your setup so that they all track, and then continuing to make whatever purchases you want. The problem is on your end here. You will probably get your miles but it could take months -- it's a lot easier to just fix your setup for future purchases than to continue making orders that won't track automatically.
How could the issue be with my setup? Every other store on the portal tracks with the exception of GC.com

I made a purchase literally yesterday with a different vendor that tracked perfectly.
Old Aug 31, 2023, 2:12 pm

As a data point….with gc.com I’m batting a thousand using safari with prevent cross site traffic turned off
Old Aug 31, 2023, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How could the issue be with my setup? Every other store on the portal tracks with the exception of GC.com

I made a purchase literally yesterday with a different vendor that tracked perfectly.
Different vendors may do tracking differently. The fact that it works for others is not relevant; it doesn't work for this one.

Many, many people on this thread have had similar problems to yours, and said that when they went to using a clean (no add-ons) browser (not safari) in private / incognito mode it worked for them. I recommend chrome if you don't already use it for something else. I'm not sure about Firefox; there is a warning on the portal about it in private mode.
Old Aug 31, 2023, 2:22 pm

Different vendors may do tracking differently. The fact that it works for others is not relevant; it doesn't work for this one.

Many, many people on this thread have had similar problems to yours, and said that when they went to using a clean (no add-ons) browser (not safari) in private / incognito mode it worked for them. I recommend chrome if you don't already use it for something else. I'm not sure about Firefox; there is a warning on the portal about it in private mode.
I'll try it. I use Edge as my default browser and have been using Firefox for the past 2 years literally only for Cartera, with all the privacy settings disabled. I can try Chrome and see how it works. Thanks for the encouragement.
Old Aug 31, 2023, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'll try it. I use Edge as my default browser and have been using Firefox for the past 2 years literally only for Cartera, with all the privacy settings disabled. I can try Chrome and see how it works. Thanks for the encouragement.
I'm actually surprised that that setup doesn't work for you. But yeah, try chrome. The warnings about Firefox are in private mode.

If you are not using private / incognito mode, you should, at a minimum, clear all your cookies before every shopping session.
Old Aug 31, 2023, 3:01 pm

Those who are consistently buying from GC.com, what are you buying?
VGC and the miles earned offset the fees?
I was buying a whole bunch of them recently when they were offering them at a discount.
Old Aug 31, 2023, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zux85
Those who are consistently buying from GC.com, what are you buying?
VGC and the miles earned offset the fees?
I was buying a whole bunch of them recently when they were offering them at a discount.
Yeah, $6 per card is a good deal for the miles and LP I think. 750 miles alone are definitely worth more than that, and that's not including the LP.

If you get the visa egift you get 1% in store credit that you can use towards your next purchase, which effectively lowers the fee to $3.50. Also that card can be added to digital wallets, making it more convenient to use (you can use it anywhere that you can tap to pay) It's not always available, but when it is I get that instead.
Antarius and ValleyEarl like this.
Old Aug 31, 2023, 3:41 pm

Yeah, $6 per card is a good deal for the miles and LP I think. 750 miles alone are definitely worth more than that, and that's not including the LP.

If you get the visa egift you get 1% in store credit that you can use towards your next purchase, which effectively lowers the fee to $3.50. Also that card can be added to digital wallets, making it more convenient to use (you can use it anywhere that you can tap to pay) It's not always available, but when it is I get that instead.
Thanks!
I opted in to that 1% program a while ago but haven't earned anything. I have only been buying the Visa egift and it always says that I will earn 0 points - is that because im buying a different visa egift? Which is the one that earns the 1%?
Old Aug 31, 2023, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by zux85
Thanks!
I opted in to that 1% program a while ago but haven't earned anything. I have only been buying the Visa egift and it always says that I will earn 0 points - is that because im buying a different visa egift? Which is the one that earns the 1%?
The Visa virtual account earns zero : https://www.giftcards.com/visa-egift-gift-card

the Visa egift earns 1% :
https://www.giftcards.com/visa-e-gif...e_type=virtual
ValleyEarl likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2023, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by Antarius
Wow. I wish i would have seen that earlier. Thanks for sharing!
Old Aug 31, 2023, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Antarius
I guess this is confusing because they are both technically "virtual" and "egifts" (just look at the url for the first one).

But the one that is marketed as "virtual" is their own card, usually at the top of the list of things your can buy. The one that is marketed as "egift" is the 1% card from giftcardmall that is listed in their branded cards (go to "brands" and scroll down; it's usually near the bottom of the list, just above the ones that are sold out).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.