Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2015, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
AAdvantage eShoppping by Cartera Commerce
Using, earning miles, problems, etc. (Consolidated thread)

American Airlines is not the contact for Cartera / AAdvantage eShopping .

AAdvantage eShopping FAQs and an e-contact form can be found via the "Contact Us" link at the bottom left corner of the home page.

If you have trouble getting purchases to track, there's also a browser extension to help.

Cartera website: http://www.cartera.com

Cartera Commerce, Inc.
One Cranberry Hill
Lexington, Massachusetts 02421

Tel. (781) 541-6800 Fax: (781) 541-6801

For general inquiries, please contact [email protected] or 888.456.6255
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST (Please do not alter contents following)

This thread is the sole thread to address issues with AAdvantage eShopping (operated by Cartera Commerce). Other queries or complaints will invariably end up merged into this thread. All posts must comply with FlyerTalk Guidelines and Rules / TOS, or may be summarily deleted or edited by moderators.

A related article, highlighting an interview of Cartera Commerce CEO Tom Bercher, is "Secrets of Cartera Commerce Revealed: Inside the Company that Brings You Miles for Online Shopping" by Gary Leff on March 3, 2014. Link.

As described in this thread, AAdvantage Shopping now offers a downloadable button installable on your desktop (not mobile) device to facilitate e-shopping. Link.

Older posts may be read at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...or-consol.html

Notes about Giftcards.com:
  • A separate thread exists for discussing Giftcards.com and likely has more data points than this generic thread.
  • Purchases from giftcards.com earn miles on the first $2,000 spent in the named calendar month, meaning for example between March 1st and March 31st. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • Giftcards.com has had various limits over the years, and it was always by calendar month.
  • Some data points show the $2,000 monthly limit is not always enforced. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • In 2022, larger orders track more slowly, and you may need to wait a full month to see miles. Strong advice from the thread is to make multiple small purchases (say under $300) rather than large ones to avoid the dreaded "manual review"
(Copied from the LP thread wiki): Once you click through the AAdvantage eShopping portal to a vendor offer and make a purchase, you will eventually get the associated miles posted to your AAdvantage account as both redeemable miles and Loyalty Points. If the merchant advertises an increase in the miles per dollar spent, you'll earn the higher amount in both redeemable miles and an equal number of Loyalty Points. The same applies if a merchant advertises a higher fixed amount per purchase, rather than a per dollar amount. Examples of this would appear on the portal as, "Extra miles. Was 1 mile/$. Now earn 3 miles/$" or "Extra miles. Was up to 3700 miles. Now up to 6200 miles." However, if the website advertises a "Limited-time bonus offer" for "bonus miles" after meeting a spending threshold, that bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points. If a bonus is offered for some site-wide activity such as 1000 miles for installing an extension, or 500 miles for enrolling in the portal, or 2000 miles for meeting a spending threshold across multiple merchants, the bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points.

Some anti-virus software silently blocks tracking, and you may want to consider disabling it for your purchase.
Print Wikipost

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2023, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by nk15
Does anyone know how quickly the 20% bonus start posting? Is it a day or two after your cross the 60k threshold?
Just adding another point to what VegasGambler said.

The reason why it's an unknown is that a strict reading of the T&C's of the bonuses says that the bonuses start the day after the actual activity credit first posts to your account. Not the date of your activity.

in a simple example, say you had a hotel stay on Aug 10th and the LPs from that stay push you over 60K. Then say you have a another hotel stay Aug 15th. However, the LPs from your Aug 10th stay don't post until Aug 17th. You wouldn't receive bonus LPs for either the Aug 10th or the Aug 15th stay.

Maybe this morning's update corrected this. It's still an unknown though.

I canceled August plans this year and rescheduled stays I needed after the LPs posted crossing 60K exactly because of this. I'll be doing the same dance this weekend/next weekend crossing 100K for the same reason.

Even if someone has a flight that crosses them over the threshold, there's a good chance their hotel check-in later that day won't earn bonuses.
nk15 likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2023, 7:31 pm

Silly question.
Can I buy a 250$ Giftcard to get 3x loyalty points = 750 points.
Then use that 250$ Giftcard to purchase another 250$ Giftcard to get another 750
etc etc till I hit the 2000$ limit? Asking for a friend lol
Old Sep 7, 2023, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by tilhas
Silly question.
Then use that 250$ Giftcard to purchase another 250$ Giftcard to get another 750
Nope.
Old Sep 7, 2023, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tilhas
Silly question.
giftcards.com won't accept prepaid visas as payment. And, certainly not their own. The first 8 digits of the card identifies the issuer (among other things) so it's not difficult for them to filter them out.

And the $2k limit is per purchase. So no limit if you are buying 1 card at a time.
Old Sep 7, 2023, 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I'm signing up for blue apron now.

I know that this has been discussed but I want to confirm -- If I sign up, get a delivery (with all their discounts for the first order) and then pause the subscription for 5 weeks, I'll get the miles, right? And I can cancel after the 45 days even though I'll only have gotten 1 order?

Honestly this would seem like a decent deal and I would keep the service (assuming I like the food) if they did not tack on $11/week for shipping.
Just did the same (and used a visa from GC.com - thanks for the idea!).
Is there a reason to wait until after receiving the first order before "skipping" the next couple weeks? I went ahead and skipped them now so I dont forget...
Old Sep 8, 2023, 1:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zux85
Just did the same (and used a visa from GC.com - thanks for the idea!).
Is there a reason to wait until after receiving the first order before "skipping" the next couple weeks? I went ahead and skipped them now so I dont forget...
I doubt it matters. I'm sure I'll remember when I get the food. If I like it I may do a few more weeks with the steep discount (though the large shipping charge will probably dissuade me, and that's only waived for the first order).

A large part of it will probably be whether the servings are big enough for the cost. I tried Sunbasket last year and the food was good for the most part but their "meals" were about 1/2 to 1/3 of an actual meal. The price looked reasonable until you took that into account.
Old Sep 8, 2023, 5:46 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Platinum
I doubt it matters. I'm sure I'll remember when I get the food. If I like it I may do a few more weeks with the steep discount (though the large shipping charge will probably dissuade me, and that's only waived for the first order).

A large part of it will probably be whether the servings are big enough for the cost. I tried Sunbasket last year and the food was good for the most part but their "meals" were about 1/2 to 1/3 of an actual meal. The price looked reasonable until you took that into account.
I did a few orders and skipped a few due to being on the road. The meals were not bad. Portion sizes were not huge, but adequate for a meal.
BWISkyGuy likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2023, 6:06 am

Do Blue Apron miles post after purchase, or after the five weeks have passed?
Old Sep 8, 2023, 6:43 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Lonedaddy
most likely because it requires 2 month minimum subscription

Just wonder has anyone done both motley and million acres on the same AA number and received points for both?
The 2 month minimum shouldn't matter for Million acres because it is a $99 annual subscription. There are multiple data points of people receiving the sub for MF and MA. I'm a little concerned because when I did the MF deal it posted next day, but MA is still not confirmed (but it is being tracked in the portal).
Old Sep 8, 2023, 7:02 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
And the $2k limit is per purchase. So no limit if you are buying 1 card at a time.
Just for clarity, the limit for earning miles on any gc.com is in fact $2k per purchase. But there is also a limit on virtual visa cards specifically- the site won’t let you buy more than $2k in cards every 48 hours. That limit is independent of anything related to cartera.
Old Sep 9, 2023, 7:28 pm

Programs: AC, AA, TK, OW Emerald
Originally Posted by AirborneLocksmith
Pretty quick turnaround for the GC.com missing miles inquiries, The first three cases I opened took about 24 hours to get resolved and the miles showing as "pending" on the eshopping site.
Opened two more cases today and will open the last ones tomorrow. With some luck I'll have all expected miles in my aa account early next week.
All purchases have credited to my AA account. Pretty painless and quick turnaround (2-3 days) for all requests. The largest purchase was right under $300, so no lengthy manual review needed.
Old Sep 9, 2023, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Has anyone gotten miles from the WSJ or the USA TODAY again this year, after getting them last year?
Old Sep 9, 2023, 8:40 pm

Programs: AA Plt, FB Silver
Originally Posted by nk15
Has anyone gotten miles from the WSJ or the USA TODAY again this year, after getting them last year?
Yes for WSJ, though I think it had been more like 18 months.
nk15 likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2023, 10:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, WoH Globalist
Has anyone tried signing up for MF twice in the same year? I understand the terms don’t permit this (so presume it would fail manual review if triggered), but wondering if the second subscription might post systemically.
Old Sep 11, 2023, 4:00 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Anegada
Has anyone tried signing up for MF twice in the same year? I understand the terms don’t permit this (so presume it would fail manual review if triggered), but wondering if the second subscription might post systemically.
No. Because the terms say they don’t permit it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.