Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2015, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
AAdvantage eShoppping by Cartera Commerce
Using, earning miles, problems, etc. (Consolidated thread)

American Airlines is not the contact for Cartera / AAdvantage eShopping .

AAdvantage eShopping FAQs and an e-contact form can be found via the "Contact Us" link at the bottom left corner of the home page.

If you have trouble getting purchases to track, there's also a browser extension to help.

Cartera website: http://www.cartera.com

Cartera Commerce, Inc.
One Cranberry Hill
Lexington, Massachusetts 02421

Tel. (781) 541-6800 Fax: (781) 541-6801

For general inquiries, please contact [email protected] or 888.456.6255
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST (Please do not alter contents following)

This thread is the sole thread to address issues with AAdvantage eShopping (operated by Cartera Commerce). Other queries or complaints will invariably end up merged into this thread. All posts must comply with FlyerTalk Guidelines and Rules / TOS, or may be summarily deleted or edited by moderators.

A related article, highlighting an interview of Cartera Commerce CEO Tom Bercher, is "Secrets of Cartera Commerce Revealed: Inside the Company that Brings You Miles for Online Shopping" by Gary Leff on March 3, 2014. Link.

As described in this thread, AAdvantage Shopping now offers a downloadable button installable on your desktop (not mobile) device to facilitate e-shopping. Link.

Older posts may be read at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...or-consol.html

Notes about Giftcards.com:
  • A separate thread exists for discussing Giftcards.com and likely has more data points than this generic thread.
  • Purchases from giftcards.com earn miles on the first $2,000 spent in the named calendar month, meaning for example between March 1st and March 31st. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • Giftcards.com has had various limits over the years, and it was always by calendar month.
  • Some data points show the $2,000 monthly limit is not always enforced. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • In 2022, larger orders track more slowly, and you may need to wait a full month to see miles. Strong advice from the thread is to make multiple small purchases (say under $300) rather than large ones to avoid the dreaded "manual review"
(Copied from the LP thread wiki): Once you click through the AAdvantage eShopping portal to a vendor offer and make a purchase, you will eventually get the associated miles posted to your AAdvantage account as both redeemable miles and Loyalty Points. If the merchant advertises an increase in the miles per dollar spent, you'll earn the higher amount in both redeemable miles and an equal number of Loyalty Points. The same applies if a merchant advertises a higher fixed amount per purchase, rather than a per dollar amount. Examples of this would appear on the portal as, "Extra miles. Was 1 mile/$. Now earn 3 miles/$" or "Extra miles. Was up to 3700 miles. Now up to 6200 miles." However, if the website advertises a "Limited-time bonus offer" for "bonus miles" after meeting a spending threshold, that bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points. If a bonus is offered for some site-wide activity such as 1000 miles for installing an extension, or 500 miles for enrolling in the portal, or 2000 miles for meeting a spending threshold across multiple merchants, the bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points.

Some anti-virus software silently blocks tracking, and you may want to consider disabling it for your purchase.
Print Wikipost

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2022, 8:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Update on one of my orders not tracking:

"Per the research on the Lenovo order, the merchant has indicated that the last click before check out was through Bing. This resulted in the click to our site being lost. The click was attributed to Bing and the commission for the order was not paid out to the eShopping site and rewards will not be posted to your account. Merchants do track the shopping visit. "

I definitely didn't click through Bing - I wonder if I accidentally hit something when Edge pops up with coupons all the time. I've now disabled that feature.
Old May 23, 2022, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by murphy
There’s a new 5% off code at giftcards.com for the virtual visa. Code MMDVISA5 is listed on the aadvantage eshopping site.
Valid through May 29, those of us who shop at the beginning of the month we are getting robbed again....Maybe we need to switch to the end of the month...

Citi offers have an 1.5% cashback for giftcards.com, btw, but only valid for one purchase, and I am not sure if it stacks up with the AA LPs.
Old May 24, 2022, 5:49 am
Suspended

Location: United States (mostly), New Zealand (sometimes), Sweden (now and then)
Originally Posted by LittleBird
That's a good find but seems to be limited to $10. So you're actually better off just going with the free egift cards (documented above).
If you buy a $200 virtual Visa card, the total comes out to $196 after the discount. How would I be better off paying $200 for a $200 Visa egift card?
Old May 24, 2022, 6:16 am

Programs: Asiana Club Diamond (*G), AA PPro (OWE), Korean Air Skypass MC (STE)
Originally Posted by DrinkSlinger
If you buy a $200 virtual Visa card, the total comes out to $196 after the discount. How would I be better off paying $200 for a $200 Visa egift card?
You got me. For 1 GC it’s cheaper. I’m presuming most here aren’t buying just one card. 🤷‍♂️
Old May 24, 2022, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DrinkSlinger
You also get the 1% site credit so actually it's $198 for the $200 card.
Old May 24, 2022, 12:33 pm

GiftCards.com purchases show up in "Recent store visits" but haven't transferred over to "Recent Transactions" even though it's been a few weeks.

Anyone else have this problem?
Old May 24, 2022, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nall
GiftCards.com purchases show up in "Recent store visits" but haven't transferred over to "Recent Transactions" even though it's been a few weeks.

This was a common problem if you purchase several cards together, in which case you need to open a case. Most people now buy the cards in 8 separate transactions of $250 x 8, which track and post fine.
Old May 24, 2022, 1:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by nall

Yes, I have made 3 separate $250 transactions using 3 different browsers (Edge, Chrome, and Firefox) on 3 different days and none of the gc.com purchases posted. Patiently waiting for it to hit 15 days so I can open a case.
Old May 24, 2022, 2:33 pm

I’m having this problem, too, despite successfully been using eshoppping for years (so know about browsers, cross-site tracking, etc.). Never done GC dot com and made a test purchase on May 12 for $250, showed up in store visits, but not tracked. Will open a ticket in a few days.
Old May 24, 2022, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AirricK11
Yes, I have made 3 separate $250 transactions using 3 different browsers (Edge, Chrome, and Firefox) on 3 different days and none of the gc.com purchases posted. Patiently waiting for it to hit 15 days so I can open a case.
You can open a case sooner.
AirricK11 likes this.
Old May 25, 2022, 6:35 pm

I got the dreaded message that "the merchant has indicated that the commission for this order was payable to another party outside of our network" on Bed Bath & Beyond despite going through the same process as every other purchase I've made. I complained but there was no response. Presumably those LPs are gone and there's nothing I can do about it.
Old May 26, 2022, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Hey all,

Apologies as my searches yielded no fruit, and the thread itself is overwhelming. I do have a question though, if someone would be kind enough to answer.

I was looking at ways to work on regaining elite status through eShopping. In our home, my wife does nearly all the online shopping for us for routine things while I actually go to the stores (Target, etc).

In order to earn miles through the portal, would one of us have to login, and then could she complete the under her accounts, or would I have to create an account at each place? Everything's paid from joint accounts. If we have to redo accounts, it would be a pain as we have subscriptions at some of the merchants, like Chewy, that would have to be redone.

If that's what I gotta do, of course, I'll do it. I'm just wondering what's the best way to do it.

Also, is there a way to get credit for online purchases where I didn't sign in? Or am I SOL?

Thanks!
Old May 26, 2022, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Superguy
Hey all,

Apologies as my searches yielded no fruit, and the thread itself is overwhelming. I do have a question though, if someone would be kind enough to answer.

I was looking at ways to work on regaining elite status through eShopping. In our home, my wife does nearly all the online shopping for us for routine things while I actually go to the stores (Target, etc).

In order to earn miles through the portal, would one of us have to login, and then could she complete the under her accounts, or would I have to create an account at each place? Everything's paid from joint accounts. If we have to redo accounts, it would be a pain as we have subscriptions at some of the merchants, like Chewy, that would have to be redone.

If that's what I gotta do, of course, I'll do it. I'm just wondering what's the best way to do it.

Also, is there a way to get credit for online purchases where I didn't sign in? Or am I SOL?

Thanks!
For regular shipping you just click through from the portal every time you make an order. Accounts are irrelevant.

For subscriptions you are not going to get miles on every delivery, just a bonus for signing up as a new customer. You aren't going to get anything if you are already a customer; they are paying to acquire new customers.
Old May 26, 2022, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
For regular shipping you just click through from the portal every time you make an order. Accounts are irrelevant.
Ok, so she logs in to the eShopping site (or uses the button) under my AAdvantage account, logs in under her existing account, orders, and the miles should show up in a few days, correct?

In theory, I could have my family login under me and order thru that, or is that pushing the envelope and asking for trouble?

For subscriptions you are not going to get miles on every delivery, just a bonus for signing up as a new customer. You aren't going to get anything if you are already a customer; they are paying to acquire new customers.
Most of the subs we have are all under my wife's name, so if I signed up for them, I could get those bonuses. For the SiriusXM one, would I be able to upgrade an existing sub to the plan, or could I activate another of our cars to get it, or would I have to create a new account and activate one of the other cars?
Old May 26, 2022, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Superguy
Ok, so she logs in to the eShopping site (or uses the button) under my AAdvantage account, logs in under her existing account, orders, and the miles should show up in a few days, correct?

In theory, I could have my family login under me and order thru that, or is that pushing the envelope and asking for trouble?
Theoretically it should be fine but I've actually had one person tell me that he had problems with one merchant when clicking through from one AA account and then trying to pay with a CC in a different name -- the purchase was flagged as fraud and was cancelled (the merchant was giftcards.com; they have more issues with fraud than most retailers and have stricter protections). If the CC name and billing address matches the info on the AA account I don't see how there could be problems though (no one knows if you or your wife is actually doing the clicking obviously)

Most of the subs we have are all under my wife's name, so if I signed up for them, I could get those bonuses. For the SiriusXM one, would I be able to upgrade an existing sub to the plan, or could I activate another of our cars to get it, or would I have to create a new account and activate one of the other cars?
I would read the terms of each offer very carefully. It's going to say something about new customers only. If you have the same address as the existing account they might use that as a reason to not pay you. Or it might work. You will most likely get different results from different merchants.
Superguy likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.