Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Old Feb 18, 2015, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
AAdvantage eShoppping by Cartera Commerce
Using, earning miles, problems, etc. (Consolidated thread)

American Airlines is not the contact for Cartera / AAdvantage eShopping .

AAdvantage eShopping FAQs and an e-contact form can be found via the "Contact Us" link at the bottom left corner of the home page.

If you have trouble getting purchases to track, there's also a browser extension to help.

Cartera website: http://www.cartera.com

Cartera Commerce, Inc.
One Cranberry Hill
Lexington, Massachusetts 02421

Tel. (781) 541-6800 Fax: (781) 541-6801

For general inquiries, please contact [email protected] or 888.456.6255
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST (Please do not alter contents following)

This thread is the sole thread to address issues with AAdvantage eShopping (operated by Cartera Commerce). Other queries or complaints will invariably end up merged into this thread. All posts must comply with FlyerTalk Guidelines and Rules / TOS, or may be summarily deleted or edited by moderators.

A related article, highlighting an interview of Cartera Commerce CEO Tom Bercher, is "Secrets of Cartera Commerce Revealed: Inside the Company that Brings You Miles for Online Shopping" by Gary Leff on March 3, 2014. Link.

As described in this thread, AAdvantage Shopping now offers a downloadable button installable on your desktop (not mobile) device to facilitate e-shopping. Link.

Older posts may be read at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...or-consol.html

Notes about Giftcards.com:
  • A separate thread exists for discussing Giftcards.com and likely has more data points than this generic thread.
  • Purchases from giftcards.com earn miles on the first $2,000 spent in the named calendar month, meaning for example between March 1st and March 31st. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • Giftcards.com has had various limits over the years, and it was always by calendar month.
  • Some data points show the $2,000 monthly limit is not always enforced. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • In 2022, larger orders track more slowly, and you may need to wait a full month to see miles. Strong advice from the thread is to make multiple small purchases (say under $300) rather than large ones to avoid the dreaded "manual review"
(Copied from the LP thread wiki): Once you click through the AAdvantage eShopping portal to a vendor offer and make a purchase, you will eventually get the associated miles posted to your AAdvantage account as both redeemable miles and Loyalty Points. If the merchant advertises an increase in the miles per dollar spent, you'll earn the higher amount in both redeemable miles and an equal number of Loyalty Points. The same applies if a merchant advertises a higher fixed amount per purchase, rather than a per dollar amount. Examples of this would appear on the portal as, "Extra miles. Was 1 mile/$. Now earn 3 miles/$" or "Extra miles. Was up to 3700 miles. Now up to 6200 miles." However, if the website advertises a "Limited-time bonus offer" for "bonus miles" after meeting a spending threshold, that bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points. If a bonus is offered for some site-wide activity such as 1000 miles for installing an extension, or 500 miles for enrolling in the portal, or 2000 miles for meeting a spending threshold across multiple merchants, the bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points.

Some anti-virus software silently blocks tracking, and you may want to consider disabling it for your purchase.
Print Wikipost

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Old May 12, 2022, 11:04 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, National Exec, Hertz PC, Nexus
Citi Merchant Offers & Simply Miles

I strongly suspect that City Merchant Offers and Simply Miles are powered by the same provider. If you look, the merchants listed on both sites are basically identical and the website layout is also very similar. The only difference is the Simply Miles give you miles per dollar spent or a lump sum of miles for meeting certain thresholds, while City Merchant Offers are cash back. If you look at Motley Fool, I believe the T&C says that it's not stackable on both Simply Miles and Merchant Offers. If it's the same provider, I think they'd be pretty reliable at weeding those out. Other deals, like Uber, do not have the no stacking warning, so I think you can get cash back and miles. As for stacking Simply Miles/Merchant Offers with eShopping, perhaps that will work with some merchants. For a merchant like Motley Fool, I assume they'd have to identify stacking on the back end since it's doubtful eShopping (Cartera) talks to Citi Merchant Offers and Simply Miles. Presumably when Motley Fool pays out, they get identifying information that would show someone who double-dipped.
beam88 likes this.
Old May 12, 2022, 11:53 am

Programs: AA EXP
Does anyone have advice when it comes to missing miles inquiry/communication? It's been over a week since I uploaded an e-receipt from a missing purchase and I have not received any communication back. Does it generally take a pretty long time for these to be worked out?
Old May 12, 2022, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by murphy
Itís not exactly a game-changer, but I have a merchant offer of 1.5% cashback at giftcards.com on my citi exec. So those no fee $250 visas are earning me 1000 LP (3x eshopping, 1x cc), plus $3.75 cashback. If I can use them on stuff Iíd normally earn 2x MR via my Amex BBP then it seems like itís worth a moderate amount of hassle.
I see this on my citi AA card as well. Note that it shows up as an in-store offer (not online). This is most likely because giftcards.com purchases show up as in-person transactions (I'm not sure how they get away with that but they do). So you most likely need to re-link the offer after every purchase (I'm not completely sure about this but that's usually how in-store offers work). After your first transaction hits it's worth checking to see if the offer is still linked.
Old May 12, 2022, 1:04 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Originally Posted by beam88
Bought $250 Visa through giftcards[.]com. Attempting to buy another one today, order initially submits, get an email 15min later that the order is cancelled. Tried again, same thing. CS suggested I try to add my email and phone number (I did), try another card (I donít want to?). Whatís going on?
IME there is no way to actually know what's going on. Just keep trying with different cards, wait a few hours, or a day, or a few days. I have been able to buy my "quota" of $2K/month every month that I've tried, but not always at exactly the time I wanted with the card I wanted. CS knows nothing. They will give a convenient excuse. I literally mean that they know nothing, because based on what I know, there is a denial algorithm that is probably developed by a third-party vendor (I used to work with some people who wrote that stuff) and the customer (BHN) doesn't know what the algorithm is, and possibly the vendor doesnt even know either because it's entirely emprical.
Old May 12, 2022, 6:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP || AA Lifetime Plat closing in on 4MM
Bought $250 Visa through giftcards[.]com. Attempting to buy another one today, order initially submits, get an email 15min later that the order is cancelled. Tried again, same thing. CS suggested I try to add my email and phone number (I did), try another card (I donít want to?). Whatís going on?
As others have mentioned, I'd assume it has been flagged as a fraudulent transaction with your CC company as gift cards raise red flags. My $250 transactions have been working as well as today's transaction.
nk15 likes this.
Old May 12, 2022, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Just $1 showed up as pending on the cc.
Based on this, my weak/tentative guess is that it was the bank/credit card.
Old May 12, 2022, 7:37 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Originally Posted by nk15
I've had at least 2-3 transactions where the GC.com site said "The transaction was declined by your card issuer" and when I called Amex, they said they hadn't declined anything. I'm inclined to believe Amex, not BHN.
Old May 12, 2022, 8:54 pm
ymx

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA EXP, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by ymx
Clicked through and purchased the $99 Motley Fool subscription for the 7400 miles promotion early this morning. However the store visit is not showing in my AAdvantage eShopping account. Should I be worried?
This will post as Loyalty Points rather than miles, correct?
Old May 12, 2022, 9:19 pm

Programs: Alaska, AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by ymx
This will post as Loyalty Points rather than miles, correct?
It posts as both. 1 base mile = 1 LP. Mine posted as below (total of 7400, all base, with 7400 LP). You can't earn a base mile without earning an LP, and shopping purchases award base miles.
  • Award Miles 7,400
  • Base miles 7,400
  • Bonus miles 0
  • Loyalty Points 7,400
Antarius likes this.
Old May 13, 2022, 4:35 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by Mr. BoH
Do you think the Citi offer is stackable? The terms say something like "if you link offer on more than one site, only the most recent will count". I wouldn't want chasing an extra 1.5% to ruin the LP gravy train.
Iím a little concerned, but I figure itís worth a chance. Im only going to do $500 this month, so thereís not a lot of risk.

Originally Posted by TropicalTripper
I strongly suspect that City Merchant Offers and Simply Miles are powered by the same provider. If you look, the merchants listed on both sites are basically identical and the website layout is also very similar. The only difference is the Simply Miles give you miles per dollar spent or a lump sum of miles for meeting certain thresholds, while City Merchant Offers are cash back. If you look at Motley Fool, I believe the T&C says that it's not stackable on both Simply Miles and Merchant Offers. If it's the same provider, I think they'd be pretty reliable at weeding those out. Other deals, like Uber, do not have the no stacking warning, so I think you can get cash back and miles. As for stacking Simply Miles/Merchant Offers with eShopping, perhaps that will work with some merchants. For a merchant like Motley Fool, I assume they'd have to identify stacking on the back end since it's doubtful eShopping (Cartera) talks to Citi Merchant Offers and Simply Miles. Presumably when Motley Fool pays out, they get identifying information that would show someone who double-dipped.
It does seem too good to last, but so far theyíve been stacking for some offers like Uber. I know Motley Fool has been clear they wonít allow stacking, but Iím hopeful that if they disallow it Iíll still be in the 30 day cancellation period.
Old May 13, 2022, 5:56 am
ymx

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA EXP, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by murphy
Iím a little concerned, but I figure itís worth a chance. Im only going to do $500 this month, so thereís not a lot of risk.

It does seem too good to last, but so far theyíve been stacking for some offers like Uber. I know Motley Fool has been clear they wonít allow stacking, but Iím hopeful that if they disallow it Iíll still be in the 30 day cancellation period.
i just realized I had also activated the motley fool offer on SimplyMiles prior to purchasing through AAdvantageeshopping. Should I assume they will disallow this, cancel the subscription and purchase again with a card thatís not linked in SimplyMiles?

How do you know if theyíve disallowed it?
Old May 13, 2022, 10:10 am

Programs: AA, Cap1
Originally Posted by popfly
As others have mentioned, I'd assume it has been flagged as a fraudulent transaction with your CC company as gift cards raise red flags. My $250 transactions have been working as well as today's transaction.

Originally Posted by nk15
Iíve now had giftcards[.[com cancel orders made with 3 different credit cards. Hoping to get this resolved before the current 2000 mile promo ends.
Old May 13, 2022, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I’ve now had giftcards[.[com cancel orders made with 3 different credit cards. Hoping to get this resolved before the current 2000 mile promo ends.
On the flip side, you may end up getting the LPs and miles for all these cancelled transactions, and never have them clawed back...Or have only the miles clawed back but not the LPs....
Old May 13, 2022, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Interesting development: The UberEats offer came back for second time on SimplyMiles for 1 more order for 465 miles, even though I just did the 3-4 previous ones for 465 each. Check your accounts....
Old May 13, 2022, 12:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by AirricK11
Does anyone have advice when it comes to missing miles inquiry/communication? It's been over a week since I uploaded an e-receipt from a missing purchase and I have not received any communication back. Does it generally take a pretty long time for these to be worked out?
I submitted a missing miles inquiry and they responded within a week. However it showed up in my spam folder. Then they followed up a month later saying they are still "working on it" but I don't have a result. However I do have to emails from them that went into spam. Check there maybe.
AirricK11 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.