Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2015, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
AAdvantage eShoppping by Cartera Commerce
Using, earning miles, problems, etc. (Consolidated thread)

American Airlines is not the contact for Cartera / AAdvantage eShopping .

AAdvantage eShopping FAQs and an e-contact form can be found via the "Contact Us" link at the bottom left corner of the home page.

If you have trouble getting purchases to track, there's also a browser extension to help.

Cartera website: http://www.cartera.com

Cartera Commerce, Inc.
One Cranberry Hill
Lexington, Massachusetts 02421

Tel. (781) 541-6800 Fax: (781) 541-6801

For general inquiries, please contact [email protected] or 888.456.6255
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST (Please do not alter contents following)

This thread is the sole thread to address issues with AAdvantage eShopping (operated by Cartera Commerce). Other queries or complaints will invariably end up merged into this thread. All posts must comply with FlyerTalk Guidelines and Rules / TOS, or may be summarily deleted or edited by moderators.

A related article, highlighting an interview of Cartera Commerce CEO Tom Bercher, is "Secrets of Cartera Commerce Revealed: Inside the Company that Brings You Miles for Online Shopping" by Gary Leff on March 3, 2014. Link.

As described in this thread, AAdvantage Shopping now offers a downloadable button installable on your desktop (not mobile) device to facilitate e-shopping. Link.

Older posts may be read at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...or-consol.html

Notes about Giftcards.com:
  • A separate thread exists for discussing Giftcards.com and likely has more data points than this generic thread.
  • Purchases from giftcards.com earn miles on the first $2,000 spent in the named calendar month, meaning for example between March 1st and March 31st. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • Giftcards.com has had various limits over the years, and it was always by calendar month.
  • Some data points show the $2,000 monthly limit is not always enforced. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • In 2022, larger orders track more slowly, and you may need to wait a full month to see miles. Strong advice from the thread is to make multiple small purchases (say under $300) rather than large ones to avoid the dreaded "manual review"
(Copied from the LP thread wiki): Once you click through the AAdvantage eShopping portal to a vendor offer and make a purchase, you will eventually get the associated miles posted to your AAdvantage account as both redeemable miles and Loyalty Points. If the merchant advertises an increase in the miles per dollar spent, you'll earn the higher amount in both redeemable miles and an equal number of Loyalty Points. The same applies if a merchant advertises a higher fixed amount per purchase, rather than a per dollar amount. Examples of this would appear on the portal as, "Extra miles. Was 1 mile/$. Now earn 3 miles/$" or "Extra miles. Was up to 3700 miles. Now up to 6200 miles." However, if the website advertises a "Limited-time bonus offer" for "bonus miles" after meeting a spending threshold, that bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points. If a bonus is offered for some site-wide activity such as 1000 miles for installing an extension, or 500 miles for enrolling in the portal, or 2000 miles for meeting a spending threshold across multiple merchants, the bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points.

Some anti-virus software silently blocks tracking, and you may want to consider disabling it for your purchase.
Print Wikipost

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2022, 9:04 am

According to the terms of the Home Depot offer, Home Decor and Furniture purchases earn 8 miles. Have you tried contacting the AAdvantage E-Shopping support?

Originally Posted by hsc
I've recently had issues with the eshopping program where the merchant (Thrive Market) and AAdvantage eshopping have denied mileage on my recent purchases. I also shopped at Home Depot for the 8 miles promo for furniture purchase, and I received 0.5 mile per dollar. Does anyone know of a way to get results? Does it help to go to consumer affairs or BBB? Thank you.

Last edited by MarkY123; Jun 19, 2022 at 9:09 am Reason: Reworked
Old Jun 19, 2022, 9:35 am
hsc

Originally Posted by MarkY123
According to the terms of the Home Depot offer, Home Decor and Furniture purchases earn 8 miles. Have you tried contacting the AAdvantage E-Shopping support?
Not yet. I have to wait 15 days. eShopping does not make it easy. I have to spend my energy and time to try and get the correct miles. And it's not as easy as it should be. That's the frustrating part. After this I am going to give up on eShopping. It is waaayyy too much time wasted.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 9:43 am

I've used AAdvantage eShopping for many years and have had to contact their support on two-three occasions. It can be very frustrating. Good luck!
Old Jun 19, 2022, 11:33 am
hsc

Thank you
Old Jun 19, 2022, 11:44 am

Home depot is very confusing. That is correct most home depot purchases only get 0.5 miles per dollar. Those promos are usually for VERY specific categories like outdoor furniture in summer or winter removal tools in winter etc. That is probably the correct mileage value. Home Depots promo is just not clear and usually very limited
BigMoneyGrip likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by Mr. BoH
This is a great find, thanks. Having now bought one, I find myself wondering (1) What is the difference between this and Virtual Visa other than the fee? (2) Why on earth would anyone buy the Virtual Visa?, and (3) How is giftcards.com making any money on selling me a Visa GC with no fees?
Not sure if this has been posted already, but I cannot find the just "Visa" cards anymore and do not have a reorder button on account to order these anymore. Can anyone confirm that these are not available anymore and only way is Visa or MC Virtual cards? Thanks.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 9:58 am

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by kimbray
Not sure if this has been posted already, but I cannot find the just "Visa" cards anymore and do not have a reorder button on account to order these anymore. Can anyone confirm that these are not available anymore and only way is Visa or MC Virtual cards? Thanks.
Interesting - just did a search and I couldn't locate the fee-free version.

I did see the various fees and the only difference I could find was $4.95 for a Visa/MC versus $5.95 for a Visa Virtual or e-Gift Card

Is the $4.95 version the previous no-fee version?
Old Jun 22, 2022, 10:06 am
Suspended

Location: United States (mostly), New Zealand (sometimes), Sweden (now and then)
Originally Posted by kimbray
Yes, it's gone.
Originally Posted by Imarmed
Is it just me or is the non-virtual Visa giftcard no longer available? I just ordered a virtual visa with the discount code but I hope a code not on the portal isn't something inviting clawback.
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Yeah they are gone, and the "reorder" link is gone from last orders in your account history.
Originally Posted by njvandy
I think it's more likely it was removed when they realized it was undercutting their own product, the Virtual Visa GC.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 4:22 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Originally Posted by OskiBear
Interesting - just did a search and I couldn't locate the fee-free version.

I did see the various fees and the only difference I could find was $4.95 for a Visa/MC versus $5.95 for a Visa Virtual or e-Gift Card

Is the $4.95 version the previous no-fee version?
Where do you find the $4.95 version? I was only able to find $5.95.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 4:30 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by redtop43
Where do you find the $4.95 version? I was only able to find $5.95.
https://www.giftcards.com/fee-schedule

It shows the different fees for the different types of products and at different values
Old Jun 22, 2022, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by OskiBear
https://www.giftcards.com/fee-schedule

It shows the different fees for the different types of products and at different values
That's for the physical cards.

They also charge $2 for shipping per card and, IME, despite their fee schedule, they still charge $5.95 per card for the physical cards. Then when you email them about it they claim that their fee schedule is correct and it's only $4.95, despite screenshots showing the $5.95 fee. They claimed that that was due to a problem with my browser (lol)
Old Jun 23, 2022, 5:50 am

Programs: AA, Cap1
GC.com is now at 4 miles/$
armus likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by beam88
GC.com is now at 4 miles/$
Any guesses how long this will last? My buying cycle is early month to early month, but this is so tempting....
Old Jun 23, 2022, 7:43 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
Originally Posted by nk15
Any guesses how long this will last? My buying cycle is early month to early month, but this is so tempting....
I didn’t think the 3/$ rate would last this long. I am on the same cycle as you, hopefully it will persist to early July.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 8:55 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond, UA Silver
During Memorial day there were some codes to save the fees. Does anyone know if those are around, and are they commonly run?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.