Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Old Feb 18, 2015, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
AAdvantage eShoppping by Cartera Commerce
Using, earning miles, problems, etc. (Consolidated thread)

American Airlines is not the contact for Cartera / AAdvantage eShopping .

AAdvantage eShopping FAQs and an e-contact form can be found via the "Contact Us" link at the bottom left corner of the home page.

If you have trouble getting purchases to track, there's also a browser extension to help.

Cartera website: http://www.cartera.com

Cartera Commerce, Inc.
One Cranberry Hill
Lexington, Massachusetts 02421

Tel. (781) 541-6800 Fax: (781) 541-6801

For general inquiries, please contact [email protected] or 888.456.6255
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST (Please do not alter contents following)

This thread is the sole thread to address issues with AAdvantage eShopping (operated by Cartera Commerce). Other queries or complaints will invariably end up merged into this thread. All posts must comply with FlyerTalk Guidelines and Rules / TOS, or may be summarily deleted or edited by moderators.

A related article, highlighting an interview of Cartera Commerce CEO Tom Bercher, is "Secrets of Cartera Commerce Revealed: Inside the Company that Brings You Miles for Online Shopping" by Gary Leff on March 3, 2014. Link.

As described in this thread, AAdvantage Shopping now offers a downloadable button installable on your desktop (not mobile) device to facilitate e-shopping. Link.

Older posts may be read at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...or-consol.html

Notes about Giftcards.com:
  • A separate thread exists for discussing Giftcards.com and likely has more data points than this generic thread.
  • Purchases from giftcards.com earn miles on the first $2,000 spent in the named calendar month, meaning for example between March 1st and March 31st. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • Giftcards.com has had various limits over the years, and it was always by calendar month.
  • Some data points show the $2,000 monthly limit is not always enforced. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • In 2022, larger orders track more slowly, and you may need to wait a full month to see miles. Strong advice from the thread is to make multiple small purchases (say under $300) rather than large ones to avoid the dreaded "manual review"
(Copied from the LP thread wiki): Once you click through the AAdvantage eShopping portal to a vendor offer and make a purchase, you will eventually get the associated miles posted to your AAdvantage account as both redeemable miles and Loyalty Points. If the merchant advertises an increase in the miles per dollar spent, you'll earn the higher amount in both redeemable miles and an equal number of Loyalty Points. The same applies if a merchant advertises a higher fixed amount per purchase, rather than a per dollar amount. Examples of this would appear on the portal as, "Extra miles. Was 1 mile/$. Now earn 3 miles/$" or "Extra miles. Was up to 3700 miles. Now up to 6200 miles." However, if the website advertises a "Limited-time bonus offer" for "bonus miles" after meeting a spending threshold, that bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points. If a bonus is offered for some site-wide activity such as 1000 miles for installing an extension, or 500 miles for enrolling in the portal, or 2000 miles for meeting a spending threshold across multiple merchants, the bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points.

Some anti-virus software silently blocks tracking, and you may want to consider disabling it for your purchase.
Print Wikipost

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Old Jun 9, 2022, 2:12 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Anyone else find it mildly irritating that it seems there are a good number of place that don't accept MetaBank gift cards? I was really hoping to be able to pay our nanny with the GCs via Venmo but it seems that isn't allowed. Cox cable (I know, I know) also doesn't accept their GCs. Guess I'll just stay 3-4 months ahead on our cell phone bill (thanks T-Mobile!).
LittleBird likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by no1cub17
Anyone else find it mildly irritating that it seems there are a good number of place that don't accept MetaBank gift cards? I was really hoping to be able to pay our nanny with the GCs via Venmo but it seems that isn't allowed. Cox cable (I know, I know) also doesn't accept their GCs. Guess I'll just stay 3-4 months ahead on our cell phone bill (thanks T-Mobile!).
I haven't run into a single place that doesn't accept them. But Venmo would be an obvious one that wouldn't.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 7:25 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by lowfareair
Any update on this (apologies if I missed it above)? I signed up for D+ but may cancel prior to the trial period and sign up again to hope that there is no free trial (and it does say a new paid sub, so as long as I don't make a payment, I'm hoping that would be fine).
D+ tracked for me after the free trial ended and they charged me. I dont think you need to cancel.
lowfareair likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 11:13 pm

Programs: Asiana Club Diamond (*G), AA PPro (OWE), Korean Air Skypass MC (STE)
Originally Posted by no1cub17
Dell.com doesn't seem to like the MB VGCs online (bank authentication issues - which sucks, losing the 2x points) but if you go to Chat and deal with a Rep, the card mysteriously works!! ugh
Old Jun 10, 2022, 9:16 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, WOH Globalist
Originally Posted by Imarmed
Is it just me or is the non-virtual Visa giftcard no longer available? I just ordered a virtual visa with the discount code but I hope a code not on the portal isn't something inviting clawback. I wonder if non-virtual was removed because of the problem with Google Pay? Also noticed a Safeway card listed among the cards under Brands, but it said "no longer available" when I clicked.
I think it's more likely it was removed when they realized it was undercutting their own product, the Virtual Visa GC.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by njvandy
I think it's more likely it was removed when they realized it was undercutting their own product, the Virtual Visa GC.
It's basically the same company. It's all owned by Blackhawk.

The eGift card seems to be gone from giftcardmall.com as well. It's still on one of the banners but when you click on it it redirects you to a generic page, and there doesn't seem to be a way to pull it up through the menus or the search.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 12:46 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Platinum
hey might invalidate earnings. It depends on the merchant and the coupon. Some merchants do attribution tracking through promo codes and coupons. So some coupons at some merchants will cause the purchase to be attributed to whoever owns the coupon instead of Cartera. This is why Cartera gives you this warning.
How about a Walgreens coupon that are part of the Walgreen's site? (i.e. login to my Walgreen's account, and "clip coupon"- same as if I was in the store I would get the discount)
Old Jun 10, 2022, 1:18 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by WannaTheater
How about a Walgreens coupon that are part of the Walgreen's site? (i.e. login to my Walgreen's account, and "clip coupon"- same as if I was in the store I would get the discount)
Really depends on the merchant. My wife used a coupon that she got through her Container Store rewards program and the savings was substantial that we were willing to forego the 1x LP/RDM earnings, but to our surprise the purchase tracked and we got the points. Maybe that coupon didn't invalidate our ability to earn points but its a gamble when using a coupon that isn't listed on the AAdvantage eshopping portal.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by golfingboy
Really depends on the merchant. My wife used a coupon that she got through her Container Store rewards program and the savings was substantial that we were willing to forego the 1x LP/RDM earnings, but to our surprise the purchase tracked and we got the points. Maybe that coupon didn't invalidate our ability to earn points but its a gamble when using a coupon that isn't listed on the AAdvantage eshopping portal.
Yeah it's completely up to the merchant. I would suggest trying with a small purchase first. Even then, a small purchase might go through automatically, and a larger one might get reviewed and denied. So there are no guarantees if you don't follow the terms exactly. Which is not to say that you should not do it; just that you need to decide whether it's worth the risk.

ETA: it is EXTREMELY likely that a coupon which doesn't have someone's affiliate code attached is fine. But that's not the same as a guarantee, so for large amounts of LP and small coupons it might not be worth it.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 9:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Trying to catch up on the thread, been reading the last dozen pages, and need maybe 20k-30k LP in the next month. Seems like these are currently the good deals:
The Motley Fool: 7,400 LP for $99 annual subscription
MarketWatch: 1,000 LP for $1 for 4 weeks
Discovery+: 1,200 LP for $4.99/month
Seems like I can cancel a few weeks after subscription when LP's hit.

Any other current recommendations or products I need to keep in mind?
beam88 likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 9:41 pm

Programs: Asiana Club Diamond (*G), AA PPro (OWE), Korean Air Skypass MC (STE)
Originally Posted by Raralith
Trying to catch up on the thread, been reading the last dozen pages, and need maybe 20k-30k LP in the next month. Seems like these are currently the good deals:
The Motley Fool: 7,400 LP for $99 annual subscription
MarketWatch: 1,000 LP for $1 for 4 weeks
Discovery+: 1,200 LP for $4.99/month
Seems like I can cancel a few weeks after subscription when LP's hit.

Virtual Visa gift cards at 3x spend with 5% off until 6/12 at Giftcards.com
Hello Fresh meal sub for 2000 LP with first order
Old Jun 10, 2022, 10:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by LittleBird
Virtual Visa gift cards at 3x spend with 5% off until 6/12 at Giftcards.com
Hello Fresh meal sub for 2000 LP with first order
FYI Hello Fresh has gone up to 2500 a few times. I snagged it earlier this week at 2500 so might be a good idea to heart it and wait for an extra miles notification.
LittleBird likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2022, 6:06 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Platinum
Question about Giftcards.com through AAshopping- A few days ago my fianc order $900 worth of visa virtual gift cards to get the 5% promotion (4 cards on the same order). This is her first order ever on AAshopping. She did not get any points (nothing pending, etc.). I looked at her "recent store visits" through her browser, and although she has "giftcards.com" listed on the date of the order, there is no order number listed. I also noticed she has uBlock origin (popup blocker/content filter) installed on Edge. I'm assuming this is the cause of the order not tracking. Or is it because she ordered $900 in cards in one day on a single order? As far as I can tell, she didn't break any rules, as she is under the $1500 limit on Giftcards.com for the virtual visa, and under the limit of $2K per month on AA shopping.

Is there anything she can do to get the points?
Old Jun 11, 2022, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WannaTheater
Question about Giftcards.com through AAshopping- A few days ago my fianc order $900 worth of visa virtual gift cards to get the 5% promotion (4 cards on the same order). This is her first order ever on AAshopping. She did not get any points (nothing pending, etc.). I looked at her "recent store visits" through her browser, and although she has "giftcards.com" listed on the date of the order, there is no order number listed. I also noticed she has uBlock origin (popup blocker/content filter) installed on Edge. I'm assuming this is the cause of the order not tracking. Or is it because she ordered $900 in cards in one day on a single order? As far as I can tell, she didn't break any rules, as she is under the $1500 limit on Giftcards.com for the virtual visa, and under the limit of $2K per month on AA shopping.

Is there anything she can do to get the points?
ublock origin is blocking the tracking cookie. So giftcards.com does not know that she clicked through from Cartera.

She needs to open a ticket with Cartera. They can see that she clicked though, and, combined with the reciept, they can infer that she bought it on that click through. They will send all this info to giftcards.com and request that the order be attributed to them. Hopefully giftcards.com will agree, and pay Cartera. If they do, you will get your miles. It will most likely take several weeks after opening the ticket, as it has to be manually researched. They also prefer that you wait until 15 days after the order to open a ticket (though this is not actually enforced, you should wait some amount of time)

As far as ordering $900 in a single order, that would not prevent the total showing up in the visit (ie, tracking) but for larger orders there are sometimes delays with the miles posting, as they apparently need to be verified manually, and sometimes you have to open a ticket. So ordering 1 at a time is generally simpler, because they will post automatically with no manual intervention, usually on the night of your order (maybe the next night if you order late), and you will get your miles faster. You should get your miles eventually either way; it's just a matter of speed and convenience.
edsh likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2022, 12:40 pm

Programs: AA, Cap1
Originally Posted by Raralith
Blue Apron with Citi Merchant Offers cash back
Green Chef with BofA or US Bank cash back offer

I did Sunbasket with an Amex offer some time ago, might be worth checking around for a potential stack

EDIT: I just saw Factor 75. Same as Sunbasket, there might be a stackable cash back offer out there somewhere.

Last edited by beam88; Jun 11, 2022 at 2:55 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.